Brighton and Hove Albion 2022-23

croadyman

Fantastic team at the moment that are thoroughly enjoyable to watch. I'm a bit worried about next week, but having Casemiro and Eriksen back gives us a good shot and lines up a real midfield battle. Without those two Brighton's midfield would have ran circles around us.

Watching them is a bit like watching Dortmund, I start having visions of these players in a United shirt, but similar to Dortmund their players really seem to shine their but don't necessarily replicate it elsewhere. Having said that, I'd take Caicedo in a heartbeat.
Yeah that's the one I would like given a choice

Blood Mage

The English Dortmund. Sadly like Dortmund there's not much hope of them keeping hold of their best players.

redDNA

Supports
Enyimba FC of Aba
My second favourite team to watch this season (after United ) ,they play sleek football. Would like them to qualify for champions league ahead of Spurs and Newcastle .

lysglimt

Scout
How many of them are starters though?
Not many - granted, but when their bench against Chelsea was: Welbeck, Gilmour, McGill, van Hecke, Offiah, Buenanotte, Moran, Encisso. Undav - it's rather obvious they are down to the bare bones. 2 of these most likely will start against us as Ferguson and Veltman wont start.

Offiah is 20 and has yet to start a match
van Hecke has 3 P.L matches for Brighton
Buenanotte is an 18 year old striker with 3 matches for the club
Moran is a 19 year old midfielder with 1 match for the club
Encisso scored in the weekend - but is a 19 year old with 10 matches for the club
Undav scored a lot on loan to Belgium last season but is yet to score for Brighton

Unless any other players return - most likely van Hecke and Welbeck will start.....that leaves 2 established players on the bench: Undav and Gilmour - the rest will be youngsters

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Not a jinx but working on the principle of a pessimist is never disappointed. I do feel a lot more confident after seeing the way our midfield trio played yesterday but then I think about Lindelof as our only senior CB available and I shudder. Being here in the States I get all the PL games live in full and I watched Chelsea vs Brighton on Saturday and lets just say it is a miracle Brighton didn't score 6 or 7.
We also have injury problems, Ferguson is out so is Veltman, Lallana, probably Steele, definitely Lamptey, Sarmiento and of course Moder who's been out for the season.

EDIT: Just seen the discussion above, out of those, starters would be Lallana, Veltman, Ferguson, Steele and possibly Lamptey.

Not sure how we will line up as both our right backs are out and De Zerbi pretty much always plays a back four, Gross played right back against Wrexham, so I presume he'll play there again.

Sanchez
Gross Colwill Dunk Estupinan
Caicedo Gilmour
March Mac Allister Mitoma
Welbeck
Or De Zerbi might put Mac Allister next to Caicedo and play Enciso or Undav at number 10.

Last edited:

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Bad owners justifiably receive plenty of criticism, so excellent owners like Bloom deserve plenty of praise.

Since the bad first half of the 2014/2015 season under Sami Hyypia, they’ve continuously improved and evolved (both in terms of results and style of play) under Hughton, then Potter and now De Zerbi. They are a joy to watch.

UTAretro

Supports
Brighton
Bad owners justifiably receive plenty of criticism, so excellent owners like Bloom deserve plenty of praise.

Since the bad first half of the 2014/2015 season under Sami Hyypia, they’ve continuously improved and evolved (both in terms of results and style of play) under Hughton, then Potter and now De Zerbi. They are a joy to watch.
Thank you very much.

Bloom is notoriously loyal and values loyalty dearly; he was urging Hyypia to stay despite really struggling in the bottom end of the Championship. He is still very angry about what happened with his protege Matthew Benham. Eventually Hyypia resigned (thankfully)…

Best of luck for the rest of the season.

Strootman's Finger

My second favourite team to watch this season (after United ) ,they play sleek football. Would like them to qualify for champions league ahead of Spurs and Newcastle .
They aren't far off, especially if they win their games in hand. I would love to see them in the CL. I think if you dropped that Brighton team into most leagues they would do extremely well, I think they'd give Barcelona a game at the moment.

BerryBerryShrew

I'd be irritated if they missed out on CL by 3 points or less given the absolute robbery that took place against Spurs; I can only imagine how the Brighton fans would feel.

UTAretro

Supports
Brighton
I'd be irritated if they missed out on CL by 3 points or less given the absolute robbery that took place against Spurs; I can only imagine how the Brighton fans would feel.
Furious. The most points lost to incorrect VAR calls in Premier League football history.

By what metric am I measuring “incorrect”? Decisions that the PGMOL have personally and publicly apologised for. Eleven points.

mav_9me

We also have injury problems, Ferguson is out so is Veltman, Lallana, probably Steele, definitely Lamptey, Sarmiento and of course Moder who's been out for the season.

EDIT: Just seen the discussion above, out of those, starters would be Lallana, Veltman, Ferguson, Steele and possibly Lamptey.

Not sure how we will line up as both our right backs are out and De Zerbi pretty much always plays a back four, Gross played right back against Wrexham, so I presume he'll play there again.

Sanchez
Gross Colwill Dunk Estupinan
Caicedo Gilmour
March Mac Allister Mitoma
Welbeck
Or De Zerbi might put Mac Allister next to Caicedo and play Enciso or Undav at number 10.
Who would the bolded start ahead of?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I'm surprised by that. An excellent professional but he's looked completely spent recently.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Yeah, who am I to question Brighton, who've hardly made a false step in the ladt 2 or 3 years but hard to see what Milner brings to the table for them from a playing point of view. Even Joao Pedro just seems like another one of those skilful forwards who hardly scores. Surely they're pretty well stocked in that department?

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
No transfer fee involved so who knows - it might turn out to be worth it. Not sure what role they're thinking of positionally, but an experienced player who's won something surely has a place in the Brighton dressing room. One good thing with Milner is his versatility.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
So do the whole of Liverpool, but Brighton have brought back the likes of Lallana with relative success.
True, but Lallana was 30/31 when he joined. Milner will be 37/38. I imagine they want to groom him to take on a coaching role.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
If West Ham can get to SFs of whichever europa competition they're in Brighton can aswell next season.

Will probably drop a few places in the league with the tighter schedule but they're in the nice position of the fanbase won't care a jot about that as mid table in top division of English football are the best seasons in their history pretty much.

UTAretro

Supports
Brighton
If West Ham can get to SFs of whichever europa competition they're in Brighton can aswell next season.

Will probably drop a few places in the league with the tighter schedule but they're in the nice position of the fanbase won't care a jot about that as mid table in top division of English football are the best seasons in their history pretty much.
Pretty much accurate. I imagine the same for Villa. A European campaign, mid table security and maybe a domestic cup run, pretty good progress.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
They do some fantastic stuff. As much as I want Caceido at Arsenal, I also kind of want him to spend another season at Brighton as I think they deserve that and I'd hate to see it broken up too much too soon.

Losing Mac Allister this summer, perhaps Caceido next and then Ferguson the season or 2 afterwards (if they all continue to perform) would be a much more manageable task and allow them a more natural transfer 'churn'.

Do the Brighton lads know if the interest on Reiss Nelson is genuine?

UTAretro

Supports
Brighton
They do some fantastic stuff. As much as I want Caceido at Arsenal, I also kind of want him to spend another season at Brighton as I think they deserve that and I'd hate to see it broken up too much too soon.

Losing Mac Allister this summer, perhaps Caceido next and then Ferguson the season or 2 afterwards (if they all continue to perform) would be a much more manageable task and allow them a more natural transfer 'churn'.

Do the Brighton lads know if the interest on Reiss Nelson is genuine?
The sense is yes, because many of our signings are tracked over a number of seasons with the club in dialog with clubs and agents, waiting for the right clause/fee to become available. (Lamptey - £4m. Veltman - £900k. Gomes - £30m. Groß - £3m. Caicedo - £4.5m. Mac Allister - £8m. Mitoma - £2.6m).

It is also a position we need to strengthen with competition. I think there is something in it personally, as we’ve been linked in the past.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
The sense is yes, because many of our signings are tracked over a number of seasons with the club in dialog with clubs and agents, waiting for the right clause/fee to become available. (Lamptey - £4m. Veltman - £900k. Gomes - £30m. Groß - £3m. Caicedo - £4.5m. Mac Allister - £8m. Mitoma - £2.6m).

It is also a position we need to strengthen with competition. I think there is something in it personally, as we’ve been linked in the past.
Would be loathe to lose him but I think it's best for his career if he moves on, and Brighton could be a good move for him I think.

He was best mates with Jadon Sancho growing up and was rated as highly as he was through the youths. Sancho went on to Dortmund and really kick started his career, Nelson went through various loans and did ok at times but didn't seem to kick on. He never really had the belief that the Sancho of Dortmund had and that was frustrating as the talent was there.

This season I think he's took a step forward in his limited outings, seems a yard quicker, a bit stronger and seems to have a bit more belief. Hope wherever he goes he really kicks on.

UTAretro

Supports
Brighton
Would be loathe to lose him but I think it's best for his career if he moves on, and Brighton could be a good move for him I think.

He was best mates with Jadon Sancho growing up and was rated as highly as he was through the youths. Sancho went on to Dortmund and really kick started his career, Nelson went through various loans and did ok at times but didn't seem to kick on. He never really had the belief that the Sancho of Dortmund had and that was frustrating as the talent was there.

This season I think he's took a step forward in his limited outings, seems a yard quicker, a bit stronger and seems to have a bit more belief. Hope wherever he goes he really kicks on.
The scuttlebutt is that he has turned down a new contract at Arsenal. Is an improved offer off the table do you reckon?

Sea-Cow

Curious to see how Joao Pedro works out for them. He's pretty young and could potentially take a big step up.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Typical top 6 club trying to bully a midtable club into selling one their prized assets they've worked so hard atdeveloping into super talent. Hands off, you vultures. How about you develop your own players for once? @The Boy ;)

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
That interview had a lot Chelsea fans really nervous. He's been a Chelsea boy since 8 years old though. I'm glad he loved his time at Brighton. It's exactly how the loan system is supposed to work. Everyone benefits. He's remembered very fondly by Huddersfield fans too. Now it's time for you to find yourselves a new Colwill.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
That interview had a lot Chelsea fans really nervous. He's been a Chelsea boy since 8 years old though. I'm glad he loved his time at Brighton. It's exactly how the loan system is supposed to work. Everyone benefits. He's remembered very fondly by Huddersfield fans too. Now it's time for you to find yourselves a new Colwill.
I’m genuinely hoping the mount deal is delayed or collapses so you have to sell, but it feels like White at Leeds, they tried this and we stood firm.

He is a class player and we’ll really miss him.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
I’m genuinely hoping the mount deal is delayed or collapses so you have to sell, but it feels like White at Leeds, they tried this and we stood firm.

Who are your potential midfield signings? I know you have signed Milner and is closing on Dahoud. But with McA and Caicedo leaving, are you signing anyone?

I know Gilmour had a good end to the season and will start but you still need players , right?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

I honestly don't think the Mount sale will have any relevance here. I don't fully trust this ownership yet though, so until Colwill signs a new deal, I'll be slightly worried they might just cash in on him. He was rumoured to be close to signing an extension in January.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Who are your potential midfield signings? I know you have signed Milner and is closing on Dahoud. But with McA and Caicedo leaving, are you signing anyone?

I know Gilmour had a good end to the season and will start but you still need players , right?
You’ve mentioned Dahoud and Milner, we already have Buananotte, we bought Ayari in January, Moran is stepping up from the u23s, Moder is coming back from long term injury as is Lallana, we have Gross so we’re quite well stocked there and we also have Alzate coming back from loan but I think he might be sold.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I doubt Brighton would be bidding if they didn’t have word from the player that he would be up for the move.

Chelsea have made a rod for their own back ignoring quality young players for years now and Boelhy’s madness will have exasperated that.

Players want to feel valued, and if Mount and Colwill are both being told that they will clearly be first choice with no messing and they are vital cogs in a machine, that will be infinitely more appealing than fighting for minutes at any club, no matter where they came through.

Last edited:

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I doubt Brighton would be bidding if they didn’t have word from the player that he would be up for the move.

Chelsea have made a rod for their own back ignoring quality young players for years now and Boelhy’s madness will have exasperated that.

Players want to feel valued, and if Mount and Colwill are both being told that they will clearly be first choice with no messing and they are vital cogs in a machine, that will be infinitely more appealing than fighting for minutes at any club, no matter where they came through.
Mount has been an undisputed starter since 2019. He isn't wanting to leave because he isn't considered first choice here. Let's not build narratives around him that aren't true.

Chelsea produce more PL ready players through Cobham than pretty much any other top club in England. The idea that they should all or a large percentage of them should be starting at Chelsea is a standard no other top 6-7 club is held to or even close to adhering to. The fact that we have regularly 3-4, sometimes 5, Cobham players starting or coming off the bench in any given game is something that should be applauded.

Colwill just has to look at the stars Mount and James have become, look at Gallagher (45 games this season, over 2000 minutes) and Chalobah (35 games, also over 2000 minutes) even Lewis Hall managed nearly 1000 minutes as an 18 year old.

Maluco

Mount has been an undisputed starter since 2019. He isn't wanting to leave because he isn't considered first choice here. Let's not build narratives around him that aren't true.

Chelsea produce more PL ready players through Cobham than pretty much any other top club in England. The idea that they should all or a large percentage of them should be starting at Chelsea is a standard no other top 6-7 club is held to or even close to adhering to. The fact that we have regularly 3-4, sometimes 5, Cobham players starting or coming off the bench in any given game is something that should be applauded.

Colwill just has to look at the stars Mount and James have become, look at Gallagher (45 games this season, over 2000 minutes) and Chalobah (35 games, also over 2000 minutes) even Lewis Hall managed nearly 1000 minutes as an 18 year old.
It is a wait and see to see where they all are next season. It will be interesting.

The fact is, he has been your player of the year twice in a row and he doesn’t feel valued by the football club, according to reports.

He isn’t the first one that doesn’t feel valued either. It’s not a narrative when you need to sell to balance the books because you have gone mad and bought too many players.

It’s a slap in the face when those players come in on big money and you aren’t being offered similar terms. Chelsea have done this to themselves.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
It is a wait and see to see where they all are next season. It will be interesting.

The fact is, he has been your player of the year twice in a row and he doesn’t feel valued by the football club, according to reports.

He isn’t the first one that doesn’t feel valued either. It’s not a narrative when you need to sell to balance the books because you have gone mad and bought too many players.

It’s a slap in the face when those players come in on big money and you aren’t being offered similar terms. Chelsea have done this to themselves.
The narrative I'm referring to Mount not being first choice. That is something you have made up. He has been nothing but first choice ever since he broke through 4 years ago.

The money issue is separate. It's not even specifically a wages issue either. It's more complex than that from what I hear, with disagreements about image rights also stumbling block.

We will see indeed. Some of those players might end up leaving, RLC is heavily linked with Milan and that's fine. I don't think RLC, Gallagher etc are quite good enough to be starters and so they deserve a chance to be starters elsewhere, if a different club wants them. There will be other players from Cobham who will make the step up in their place. Hall being one. Colwill being another, and he is a higher level of talent than almost anyone Cobham has produced bar Reece James. He will be a starter, if he stays, which I think he will. With Poch being the coach now, who is known for being good at nurturing and trusting young players, this is a great time for Colwill return home.

Maluco

The narrative I'm referring to Mount not being first choice. That is something you have made up. He has been nothing but first choice ever since he broke through 4 years ago.

The money issue is separate. It's not even specifically a wages issue either. It's more complex than that from what I hear, with disagreements about image rights also stumbling block.

We will see indeed. Some of those players might end up leaving, RLC is heavily linked with Milan and that's fine. I don't think RLC, Gallagher etc are quite good enough to be starters and so they deserve a chance to be starters elsewhere, if a different club wants them. There will be other players from Cobham who will make the step up in their place. Hall being one. Colwill being another, and he is a higher level of talent than almost anyone Cobham has produced bar Reece James. He will be a starter, if he stays, which I think he will. With Poch being the coach now, who is known for being good at nurturing and trusting young players, this is a great time for Colwill return home.
Being valued at a club is more than just being first choice though. If he is being told by United that he will be in his preferred position and that the manager has a constant role with him in mind, and he is being offered a worthy contract. All of that comes to mind.

Being first choice is only half the battle. You can’t make 30 players feel valued, which is a massive part of the reason Chelsea are where they are this season.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Being valued at a club is more than just being first choice though. If he is being told by United that he will be in his preferred position and that the manager has a constant role with him in mind, and he is being offered a worthy contract. All of that comes to mind.

Being first choice is only half the battle. You can’t make 30 players feel valued, which is a massive part of the reason Chelsea are where they are this season.
Chelsea's sporting directors, or Boehly for that matter, can't control how the manager uses his players. By all accounts, Poch really wants Mount to stay. I really don't think Mount has any issues about his life at Chelsea on the pitch. If he feels devalued because of how the contract negotiations have gone, then fair enough but that has nothing to do with playing time. Mount and Chelsea aren't the first player and club to have contractual disagreements. We have benefited from situations like this arising at other clubs. It's a normal part of football.

Anyway, let's not derail this Brighton thread any further. Let's just say I think you're inaccurate with your assessment of Chelsea and academy players.