Brighton and Hove Albion 2023/24 season - The European adventure!

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Last season I said it would be a season to remember and though I never expected to change manager, it was our best season ever. The bar is set high for this one.

Mac Allister is gone, but we have a lot of midfielders coming back and coming through. Steven Alzate is back from an impressive loan in Belgium, but he is more CM than an AM, Facundo Buonanotte is more of a like for like replacement, he joined in Jan this year and has already played quite a bit of first team football. We also have Moder coming back from a long term injury. We also lost Mwepu in unexpected and sad circustnces last year, so midfield was a bit light.

Caicedo looks like he’ll go, though I don’t expect it to be less than 100M which is probably well worth it given we paid 5 million on deadline day in Jan 2021, he’ll be tough to replace but already there are options, Yasin Ayari was bought in last year at the same time as Buonanotte and is seen apparently as successor to Caicedo, though he seems to operate a bit further up the pitch, but has excellent defensive stats mixed with progressive passing, he was a steal again at around 5 million.

We’ve also signed Mahmoud Dahoud from Dortmund, he’s another that can play the defensive role in midfield, but push forward as well and of course there’s Billy Gilmour, who also had some stand out games when he got to play last season.

Milner is classic Brighton signing and brings huge experience alongside Lallana and Welbeck. He also brings the advantage of being able to play RB where we struggled badly last season once Lamptey and Veltman were injured.

In goal we’ve bought in Verbruggen, so I don’t expect Sanchez to ever play for the club again, but no one seems that interested at the moment which is surprising as though he fell out with RDZ he’s a great modern goalkeeper.

Up front we look so much more dangerous than we did even this time last year. Enciso, Mitoma, March, Sarmiento can all be extremely dangerous we’ve added Joao Pedro as well and of course for out and out strikers we have Undav, Welbeck and Evan Ferguson.

If by some chance we could keep Colwill (I’d like him to be part of the Caicedo deal) our defence is solid, if we can’t, I’d expect to see van Hecke get a lot more game time behind Dunk and Webster, we may also bring someone new in there as well, left back is another position we might look to strengthen.

Europe beckons and even with Caicedo and Mac Allister gone, we have our strongest squad ever alongside our best manager ever.

This won’t last forever but I’ll make the most of it while it does!

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I expect you to drop off a wee bit in the league just because Caicedo and Alexis were so good/the European fixtures but I wouldn't be surprised to see you still finish around 8th and with a campaign in Europe that takes you to the latter stages of the knockouts.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
I expect you to drop off a wee bit in the league just because Caicedo and Alexis were so good/the European fixtures but I wouldn't be surprised to see you still finish around 8th and with a campaign in Europe that takes you to the latter stages of the knockouts.
Last year you said I was tempting fate too much by titling the thread “a season to remember”!

I hope this prediction turns out to be overly conservative as well! But I fear you might be correct. Still a deep run in Europe would be fantastic.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Last year you said I was tempting fate too much by titling the thread “a season to remember”!

I hope this prediction turns out to be overly conservative as well! But I fear you might be correct. Still a deep run in Europe would be fantastic.
Supporting Everton would do that to you mate. Also I don't think anyone would have predicted just how good you did last year. This season should be all about maintaining your stronghold in that top half and getting more experience for the young players/squad gelling.

Nickosaur

Big changes in the squad (when has this not been the case) with Mac gone and Caicedo very likely to go. More worried about the loss of Caicedo by far, I think what Mac brings to the team is easier to replace.

The young fringe players from last year are what I'm most excited about. Ferguson and Enciso arguably already broke through, but the glimpses from Buonanotte and Sarmiento means competition will be fierce in those forward positions. Not going to claim to have seen much from Joao Pedro but he seems a player with the potential to make the step up from the championship.

Veltman signing a new contract is great, Verbruggen seems highly rated, but if Colwill doesn't join (he won't :() I'm unsure who could step in to keep the defense as strong as it was last year. Webster very good but injury prone.

I'm super intrigued and excited about this season. European football is a dream. Without wanting to be pessimistic, I think a drop off in league performance is highly likely. Personally think 8th and a strong account in the EL would still be a fantastic season.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion

Interesting that he had to do this.

autopilot

Supports
Chelsea
What is the predicted starting eleven for next season? My hope is that Gilmour can cement himself as a mainstay as he caught some (in my opinion) unfair criticism during his loan spell at Norwich. There's a competent player in there and I hope this is the season he makes it all click.

Those forwards and strikers also look really interesting. Enciso looked really good whenever I saw him last season, and although Mitoma dropped off a little towards the end I expect him to have a strong season. Plenty of new names around but I wouldn't be surprised if it's March who has the most goal contributions. He's better than I perhaps have given him credit for and seems like he can operate in a lot of positions and formations.

Also like the addition of Milner for experience and as a general band-aid for whatever injuries pop up during the season. Overall a lot to look forward to if you're a Brighton fan.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Probably too much for them to pay but Romeo Lavia would be perfect for that Brighton midfield imo, even more so once Caciedo leaves.

Would be frustrating if he just goes somewhere to warm the bench for a a year or two when he could slot into Brighton no problem.

Agree with SW, tough ask to finish top 6 again but they'll be a real threat in the cups.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
The year it all goes wrong.

GlasgowCeltic

there’ll be a drop off in the league but de Zerbi is a wizard so they’ll probably go and win the Europa

DOTA

More like a drop down a league!

Ole'sattheWheel

One of the few English teams outside of United I actually like and root for (except against us obviously). A proper progressive club doing everything right imo, really really impressed whenever I watch them. I will genuinely be rooting for them in Europe this year

DOTA

Do you like Palace or something? :lol:
I have a complicated relationship with them. I have cheered them on before and likely will again but at present they have too few haters for their level of success and I believe it's upon me to 'be the change you wish to see in the world'.

UTAretro

Supports
Brighton

Right winger, 17 years old - loaned back until January when he turns 18.

UTAretro

Supports
Brighton
Verbruggen looking very sharp in early training footage, I think subject to a good preseason he’ll be straight in at #1

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Verbruggen looking very sharp in early training footage, I think subject to a good preseason he’ll be straight in at #1
Harsh on Steele as he's been excellent, I wonder where Sanchez will end up.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Wow this’ll be an impressive signing if we pull this of.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
@The Boy

Verbruggen will be your starting keeper, right? How has he looked in pre-season?

edit: just read the previous posts.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
@The Boy

Verbruggen will be your starting keeper, right? How has he looked in pre-season?

edit: just read the previous posts.
It’s a bit of a guess but I think he’ll start for us. He’s appeared in some pre season and played the whole game against Newcastle.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
How on earth has Tony Bloom gotten 110m pounds for Caicedo? Seriously impressive.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
It’s a bit of a guess but I think he’ll start for us. He’s appeared in some pre season and played the whole game against Newcastle.
Cheers. Looking forward to seeing him play.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
He's a good player, but the fee is insane. I felt like 70-80m would've made sense, this is massive for them.
The club always said north of a hundred million or he doesn’t go anywhere. I guess they really wanted him!

Now hopefully we’ll move ahead with Kudus.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
The club always said north of a hundred million or he doesn’t go anywhere. I guess they really wanted him!

Brighton could really do something funny here and snap up Kudus and Lavia with the Caicedo money while we’re reeling from this. Would leave us with just Tyler Adams and now scrambling to find other targets.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
So who is replacing McAllister and Caicedo in their starting XI?

I'm a huge Billy Gilmour fan so hopefully he gets one of the spots.
Gilmour was brilliant towards the end of last season. I reckon he’ll get a good bit of game time going forward and it’ll be well deserved.

But we’ve bought Dahoud, we’re heavily linked with Kudus. We also still have Gross Lallana, Moder, Ayari, Alzate and Milner so we’re pretty well stocked in midfield still.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout

Of course, and the value is always subjective, but as good as he is, I think those kind of prices for a player having really excelled for one season, are excessive. But very good for Brighton, Kudus would be a good recruitment for you guys.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Brighton could really do something funny here and snap up Kudus and Lavia with the Caicedo money while we’re reeling from this. Would leave us with just Tyler Adams and now scrambling to find other targets.
I haven’t seen any links to Lavia but, no offence intended, it would make me laugh at your expense if we did buy him!

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
No Mac Allister and no Caicedo but two 4-1 wins. It may only be Wolves and Luton, but I couldn’t be happier!

Winrar

Interested to see how they deal with congested fixture, but they seem to be picking up right where they left off.

UTAretro

Supports
Brighton
Interested to see how they deal with congested fixture, but they seem to be picking up right where they left off.
Got a feeling we have a couple more incoming, if the price matches Tony’s valuation

padr81

Supports
Man City
Remember when they could play well but not score goals. They're a scary proposition if they've fixed that.