Brighton and Hove Albion 21/22

JustAGuest

They've gone more than two months without a win. The boos yesterday were not just about the 0-0.
It seems a bit misplaced when they played so well in that game. Looking at that run of games it is really astonishing how they haven't had a win. Dominant against Arsenal, Newcastle and now Leeds - but drawing all of them. Also looked equal to Liverpool away at Anfield which really shows how good they are.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
It seems a bit misplaced when they played so well in that game.
It does, you're right and Chelsea have had their fair share of games where we dominate possession/chances but don't win and you just generally put it down to luck and "one of those days".

9 games in a row of "one of those days" must be maddening for the fans though, regardless of the great work Potter has done

Longshanks

It does, you're right and Chelsea have had their fair share of games where we dominate possession/chances but don't win and you just generally put it down to luck and "one of those days".

9 games in a row of "one of those days" must be maddening for the fans though, regardless of the great work Potter has done
Its pretty much been the same through his tenure there, create loads of chances but fail to take them. If they had a top striker they would win alot more games. But finding that striker is very difficult especially on there budget.

Brighton fans booing pretty much sums up the entitlement of the modern fan a good season for them in the PL is not being relegated. Anything else is a massive bonus.

A bit like Stoke fans who had, had enough of pulis's brand of football and wanted a more progressive manager with better football, they got there wish and got relegated. You have to know and accept your level.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
They’re 8th in the league for fecks sake

tomaldinho1

I'll ask it, as it seems people are hesitant to use the old cliché:

How good would they be if they had a 20 goal a season striker?

Hardest thing to find in football etc..
I don’t think they are if the system is right. People have to remember Ings pre Soton was , when fit,at his most prolific an 11 goal a season guy with Burnley.

Brighton’s setup would be perfect for someone like Watkins, Wilson maybe even Wood who are good all round finishers, not quite that truly elite level but work hard and have top flight experience.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Happy to see Joel Veltman doing well there.. In my opinion he has had his fair share of unfair criticism in The Netherlands, but he has been a great club player for Ajax for almost a decade. Happy for him he is currently also living the Premier League experience in an environment where he looks to be valued..

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
This is just rubbish, Brighton have built a very good squad over the last few years, maybe Bissouma and Lamptey are the only players you've heard of as they are the flvour of the month at the moment.

Dunk, Veltman, Webster, Mwepu, Gross, Trossard are far from relegation level players.
Yeah there's a fair few good players in the side, plenty of talent there.
I know it simplifies the issue, but a quality striker would make a big difference. I like Maupay, but I don't think he's the one to raise the side (though can still play a very useful role). There's a couple players I can think of who would really gel with this Brighton side, but I guess there are issues around price and how easy they'd be to acquire.

While it's a massive jump up, there's a couple championship strikers who are very interesting, but I imagine with where this Brighton side are in terms of quality, two championship punts (who won't be super cheap either) might not be that appealing.

passing-wind

Can't see Brighton doing anything but going down if Potter leaves. Squad certainly isn't the level of a Norwich but don't have a better team than Leicester, Villa, Palace, Everton yet totally outperforming them this season.

Brighton struggle for goals because they have no good striker hardly a conundrum of sorts. The team doesn't have enough genuine quality to make up for it with goals from other areas. You have to give Potter credit he's got them punching way and I mean way above their weight.

Idxomer

Potter needs to find a club that could get him a good striker and has fans who would appreciate his work.

Yeah, that's my best Amadaeus impression.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I did defend the Brighton fans who wanted Hughton out after the 2018/2019 season. Hughton had done a very good job there, but things definitely looked to have gone stale. Plus they were perfectly entitled to want more than narrow survival + negative, cautious football. The ‘be careful what you wish for’ mantra trotted out didn’t make sense there, and there was no guarantee that they would have continued to stay up had Hughton remained in charge

The fans that are complaining and booing the team at the moment through are definitely silly and overly entitled. Potter has improved the team’s results, style of play, faith in younger players etc.

432JuanMata

Credit to a manger who entered the season without solving the glaring striker issue? :houllier:
But that’s why the booing is weird they have no real striker, sold White for 50m and replaced him with Shane fecking Duffy yet don’t look any worse. The fact their 8th with that squad is unbelievable what do they want

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I did defend the Brighton fans who wanted Hughton out after the 2018/2019 season. Hughton had done a very good job there, but things definitely looked to have gone stale. Plus they were perfectly entitled to want more than narrow survival + negative, cautious football. The ‘be careful what you wish for’ mantra trotted out didn’t make sense there, and there was no guarantee that they would have continued to stay up had Hughton remained in charge

The fans that are complaining and booing the team at the moment through are definitely silly and overly entitled. Potter has improved the team’s results, style of play, faith in younger players etc.
Obviously a big hypothetical because Blackburn have a decent chance of going up through the playoffs, but if that fails do you think it’s possible Brighton might look at Ben Brereton? And doyou think he’d be a good fit?

Lecland07

Credit to a manger who entered the season without solving the glaring striker issue? :houllier:
There is a lot more to signings than what the manager wants. In the end, the decision is in the hands of the owners and board. A manager's power in deciding transfers is far lower than people think.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Brighton are a relegation standard team. Being without any players that consistently score makes them into one.

The only reason they are in the position they currently are in is because of their style of play, which Potter has done brilliantly to instil. The copious amount of chances they create will end in goals, but their lack of a finisher is clearly hindering them.

I think some Brighton supporters would be in for a real shock if Potter left now. They would plummet without him.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Obviously a big hypothetical because Blackburn have a decent chance of going up through the playoffs, but if that fails do you think it’s possible Brighton might look at Ben Brereton? And doyou think he’d be a good fit?
He’ll definitely leave if we don’t go up this season (I doubt we’ll go up but the response after the Fulham humiliation has been very impressive), and think his style with his ability to cut inside and shoot, find space, and ‘instinctive’ movement off the ball would suit them and give them a different dimension.

His rapid ascent for both us and Chile (they really missed him against Ecuador) has been very impressive. Assuming we will lose him relatively soon, I’d love to see him doing well for a club like Brighton.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Happy to see Joel Veltman doing well there.. In my opinion he has had his fair share of unfair criticism in The Netherlands, but he has been a great club player for Ajax for almost a decade. Happy for him he is currently also living the Premier League experience in an environment where he looks to be valued..
Veltman is massively valued, he's a brilliant player. Rock solid at both right back and centre back. He was an absolute steal for 900,000 and a brilliant addition to our team.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Just because you disagree with it doesn't mean it's rubbish, I could also call your opinion as rubbish.

I consider them as PL relegation players. People have different view/opinion how to rate the players and I just don't rate those players to be good enough for PL mid table players.

In the last four seasons, you finished 15th, 16th, and 17th so it's not like you guys have been performing like mid table team to call those players are far from relegation level players. If you have proper evidence to tell me they are far from relegation level players then feel free to post them here, otherwise, it's only your opinion so let's better be respectful to each other opinion.
It's just a lazy assumption that I see far too often, Brighton's players are all relegation level and thanks to a magical coach they are in the top half of the premiership, I say it's rubbish because it is wrong.

One of the best things about Brighton at the moment is the set up we have at the club and the working relationship between, our chairman Tony Bloom, technical director Dan Ashworth and Potter. Ashworth is our lead when it comes to signing players and they are evaluated in a "moneyball" style system, which Bloom feeds into massively, he made his millions through betting, the man understands maths, data and is good at spoting strengths an weaknesses in a system that others miss.

As a result our transfers over the last 4 seasons have mainly been very good and have improved the team no end. So listing old leagie positions is a bit irrelevant when judging today's squad as it's changed massively from our first two seasons in the Premiership.

Don't get me wrong Potter is an excellent manager and I love having him at Brighton, but the set up at the club, the work by others behind the scenes is fantastic , our success is not all Potter's and he'd be the first to admit that.

Just looking at some of our other players that you think are relegation level...

Mwepu came from RB Salzburg, where he was a regular in the Champions League
Veltman came from Ajax as another Champions League regular and has almost 30 caps for the Dutch natuional side
Trossard was another Champions League regular with Genk and is a regular with the Belgium national team
Dunk has been lijnked with a few big premiership clubs, the most likely one was Chelsea for 40M but he ended up signing a new contract with us instead, but regardless of whether we believe transfer rumours or not, look up Dunk's stats he's been one of the most consistent prenier league defenders for the last 4 seasons.
Lallana, may not be the player he once was but at 33 he's still way above "relegation level"

No they're not world beaters, but we have a good mid table premier league squad and actually should have finished higher last season.

I can't be bothered to list our whole team for you and yes there are some that could and should be improved, but to brand our entire squad apart from Bissouma and Lamptey as "relegration level players" shows a lack of knowledge, so as I said it maybe an opinion, but it's rubbish one.

Nick7

You forget that if a player isn’t league winning material they’re either relegation level or championship level

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
He’ll definitely leave if we don’t go up this season (I doubt we’ll go up but the response after the Fulham humiliation has been very impressive), and think his style with his ability to cut inside and shoot, find space, and ‘instinctive’ movement off the ball would suit them and give them a different dimension.

His rapid ascent for both us and Chile (they really missed him against Ecuador) has been very impressive. Assuming we will lose him relatively soon, I’d love to see him doing well for a club like Brighton.
Yeah I thought he looked a good talent last season, but didn’t expect him to explode like he has. Blackburn have a knack of having really good strikers. He played really well against the Swans at the start of the season.

And yeah your summary is spot on (albeit from my much less informed view). Very much a modern striker and he’s good fun to watch.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Veltman is massively valued, he's a brilliant player. Rock solid at both right back and centre back. He was an absolute steal for 900,000 and a brilliant addition to our team.
Good to hear! The price was a gesture from Ajax for the long service in Ajax 1. He also actually agreed to stay a year longer than he initially intended and agreed with Ajax due to the De Ligt departure. That final year turned out to be one of his best years for Ajax as a regular started as Central Defender beside Blind.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Its pretty much been the same through his tenure there, create loads of chances but fail to take them. If they had a top striker they would win alot more games. But finding that striker is very difficult especially on there budget.

Brighton fans booing pretty much sums up the entitlement of the modern fan a good season for them in the PL is not being relegated. Anything else is a massive bonus.

A bit like Stoke fans who had, had enough of pulis's brand of football and wanted a more progressive manager with better football, they got there wish and got relegated. You have to know and accept your level.
A few months ago people were saying Palace should have "accepted their level" with Roy, likewise Watford with Xisco.

I honestly don't get why the so called lesser clubs wanting to better themselves rub people up the wrong way so much.

Longshanks

A few months ago people were saying Palace should have "accepted their level" with Roy, likewise Watford with Xisco.

I honestly don't get why the so called lesser clubs wanting to better themselves rub people up the wrong way so much.
They are 9th level on ponts with us, very much in the hunt for European places. If they finished 9th that would be a very good season, they also play good football and are quite enjoyable to watch, In terms of having anything to complain about, they should have very little to complain about certainly not enough to constitute booing at full time after a home draw.

There is nothing wrong with having ambition but it should always be tempered with realism.

Perseus

BHA are misrepresented in the tabloids.

Style: defensive possession football, selective pressing
Strengths: playing their way out of the press, restricting the opposition creating chances
Weaknesses: finishing off chances, inability to counter attack successfully

A bit more defensive than the pundits mention.

Class players: Dunk
Useful players: Trossard, Veltman, Webster, Bissouma

Formation, very flexible 3-5-1-1 (I can't understand it, but it seems to work, not sure why?)

Reactions: Cheimoon

Perseus

A big test for the Albion at West Ham tonight. Odds on that it will be a scrappy game with the Londoners edging it by a single goal, whoever scores first.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion

Another draw booooo boooo :lol:

Lecland07

Good result in the end, but the players missed two quality chances, again.

Must be frustrating to manage that team. I wonder how much longer Graham Potter will stay if they don't sign a striker in January.

Could see Everton going for him if they sack Benitez, also.

Perseus

Fax
Good result in the end, but the players missed two quality chances, again.

Must be frustrating to manage that team. I wonder how much longer Graham Potter will stay if they don't sign a striker in January.

Could see Everton going for him if they sack Benitez, also.
Why would he go to Everton?

Hoboman

Very well-coached team, with proactive approach and constant intention to control games.

One of the most fun to watch in the league at the moment.

Potter's doing a great job and I understand why Brighton's fans could feel slightly underwhelmed - their results don't reflect quality of the team's performances.

Lecland07

Fax

Why would he go to Everton?
More money to spend, potentially. In the end, it is going to be very hard for him to get anything bigger than Everton when he moves from Brighton. The bigger clubs rarely choose from lower down in the Premier League, so it seems the only step to me.

Although, he might not like it as they don't seem to be very good at signing players.

Lecland07

Missed another open goal chance. This will be rinse and repeat until they sign a proper goal scorer.

If I was Potter, I would consider moving at this point, though. I don't think there is anything else he can really do with Brighton, anyway.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
See Dan Ashworth has been given permission to speak to Newcastle, how you feeling about that Brighton fans?

Dan600

Not a Brighton fan but saw this and thought it was interesting.

Given how glaring it is that they need another striker, he has failed to deliver that, so maybe some fans will point to that as a negative.

Dunno what Newcastle fans will think either, he obviously has a good reputation from his time with England and Brighton. I imagine Eddie Howe will be safe, believe he was rooting for him for the England job before Southgate was appointed.

He has found some bargains for Brighton, likes of Lamptey, Moder, MacAllister, who weren’t well known beforehand. So I imagine he will find some for Newcastle also.

Also wonder if he’ll try for any Brighton players, apparently Bissouma has 18 months left on his contract, while Lamptey was another he found from the England setup I believe so he may be back in for him too.

Reactions: Cheimoon

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
I was really impressed with how Joel Veltman played Lukaku. I always thought he was undervalued and underrated at Ajax, but he looks to be adapting really well in the Premier League.

Perseus

I was really impressed with how Joel Veltman played Lukaku. I always thought he was undervalued and underrated at Ajax, but he looks to be adapting really well in the Premier League.
Unlike previous Dutch players, he hit the ground running and would have kept Ben White out of my first XI