Film Brilliant actors/actresses who almost never did a good film

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
I know, and i wrote "almost". Especially Kinski was known for his cynical approach to movie acting. If the money was right, he would accept *any* acting job. Look up his filmography.
Ye I know, he had to in order to survive I guess. But he also rejected Indiana Jones because the plot sucked.

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
Ye I know, he had to in order to survive I guess. But he also rejected Indiana Jones because the plot sucked.
Kinski gave interviews stating he never wanted to see the script or even know who the director was, they should just tell him how much it payed. He also was vocal in his despise of moviemakers who thought they were artists, and of things like method acting. Fact is, he turned down movie projects from Fellini or Rosselini, but played in horrible C- and D-movies as late as in the eighties; Some say he did that because in those flicks, he could do what he liked (and steal the whole show)
But the guy was so full of **** its hard to tell.

El-Manos

Not a 'brilliant' actor but Matt Damon. Perpetually beige haircut and filmography.
The Martian? Bourne trilogy ? The Departed ? Good will hunting? Saving private Ryan? Elysium? Interstellar? Bad shout mate, he’s been in plenty of good movies.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
The Martian? Bourne trilogy ? The Departed ? Good will hunting? Saving private Ryan? Elysium? Interstellar? Bad shout mate, he’s been in plenty of good movies.
It's Nillson, if it's been seen by more than 12 people it's mainstream shit.

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
Finding Nemo
Spider-man
I didn't name this thread "who *never*..." for a reason... if that was the case, how would anyone know they really are not that bad?. Dafoe is a brilliant actor, as are Kinski and Lorre. IMO they still share the fate that their great:garbage ratio is lacking.
Worst thing is, I am not sure if you‘re laughing because I called Cage „brilliant“ or that I only rate a couple of his movies...
i laughed because he is a running joke in these kind of threads :). Came up as one of the first nominees in this one: https://www.redcafe.net/threads/actors-actresses-whom-never-done-a-terribly-bad-film.442332/
Sigourney Weaver?
good one!

Last edited:

Sigma

I didn't name this thread "who *never*..." for a reason... if that was the case, how would anyone know they really are not that bad?. Dafoe is a brilliant actor, as are Kinski and Lorre. IMO they still share the fate that their great:garbage ratio is lacking.
Ahh the 'almost' completely flew over my head. My bad.

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
Henry Cavill?

I liked MI6, but other than that his CV is pretty average.

I am sure there are some more of these big name superhero actors with less than stellar careers.

Andy_Cole

Henry Cavill?

I liked MI6, but other than that his CV is pretty average.

I am sure there are some more of these big name superhero actors with less than stellar careers.
I actually think Man of Steel was brilliant, but know I’m the minority. Also loved BvS.

The Guy Ritchie film was also great (all for him being the next Bond!). Man from UNCLE.

Member 39557

Don't know if you can call him a "brilliant" actor, but Gerard Butler.
Layer Cake was very good, 300 was ok. Everything else that comes to mind is average or shite.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Pfft... Rasing Arizona disagrees with you.
This is about actors who almost never did a good movie. Cage was brilliant and I love Leaving Las Vegas, but his shit-to-great ratio is problaby at 50-1 by now.