British Super League?...

stevoc

I was thinking rather than straight into the PL they should be admitted to the Championship, would give them both a chance to acclimatise to the English game
They shouldn't be admitted into any league, English football is a pyramid if they want in they should start at the bottom like every other team has to. The Northern Premier is only 6 promotions away from the PL.

After all as we've learned this week 'Dreams can't be buy'.

stevoc

How big are Celtic and Rangers' global fanbase really though? Is it even comparable to Leicester and West Ham's? Genuinely don't know haven't paid a bit of attention to Scottish football in like 15 years.

They certainly aren't comparable to our mid-table or even the relegation clubs in terms of quality right now. And, assuming this British SL has relegation etc, where would they get relegated to? The Championship?
You'll always have people insist that it's massive but if that were true you'd imagine the SPL TV deal would be worth more than £20-25m per year.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
If they combine the whole Scottish league structure into the English one, then sure. But if it is just the two big teams joining, and the rest are left to rot, the idea should just be binned.

Also the idea that the top four go into a play off system can piss right off.

edcunited1878

So it's okay for the Scotland's domestic league to go to shit once their top (two) clubs leave, but everybody and their families throw a shit fit when PL league teams threaten to join a European competition, not a domestic one....right.

Mr. Ant

They shouldn't be admitted into any league, English football is a pyramid if they want in they should start at the bottom like every other team has to. The Northern Premier is only 6 promotions away from the PL.

I wonder if they could run another squad in the english pyramid and once they get promoted to the Premier League use the original teams in Scotland as a b team for developing the youth. I mean it would help not just themselves but also Scottish national team as well. But that's just my idea.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
If you wanted to combine SPL and PL alongside their respective pyramids, might not actually be a bad.

stevoc

I wonder if they could run another squad in the english pyramid and once they get promoted to the Premier League use the original teams in Scotland as a b team for developing the youth. I mean it would help not just themselves but also Scottish national team as well. But that's just my idea.
That's an idea but then I don't know if that would contravene UEFA/FIFA rules.

I suppose Red Bull did something sort of similar with RB Leipzig and Salzburg.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses

According to the tweet thats doing the rounds (and this is just based on that tweet) its the EPL who are inviting them, not them applying for admission. Anyway of it was have to happened it would have happened when Rangers were being thrown out of Scottish football, they could have applied then to join the lower rung of the pyramid and then worked their way up, but it never happened so I doubt it will now.

visiting villain

Supports
Aston Villa
why would any PL club vote for this? Increases competition & if Celtic/Rangers are relatively successful then they will be knocking on the door of the "big 6"

stevoc

According to the tweet thats doing the rounds (and this is just based on that tweet) its the EPL who are inviting them, not them applying for admission. Anyway of it was have to happened it would have happened when Rangers were being thrown out of Scottish football, they could have applied then to join the lower rung of the pyramid and then worked their way up, but it never happened so I doubt it will now.
No you're right mate this is most likely nonsense to get clicks.

And as you say when Rangers went out of business that was the perfect time for them to join the English pyramid, no idea why they didn't.

RedTiger

Half mast
The SPFL would be spitting flames at this, no chance it happens.

A far easier and more practical way to integrate the football of both nations would be to amalgamate the EFL and SPFL Cups. It would probably make more money than they both are making right now.

Acole9

Outstanding
I'm not totally against this as we already have Welsh clubs in the English football pyramid. This subject like the European Super League rears its head every so often and I don't think it should be taken too seriously.

However, I am not a fan of the league reducing its size to 18 clubs, I really don't understand why people are so keen for that to happen, the current number is fine.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, despite them having large fanbases, I just don't think either of them would be good enough for the league. They're both better suited to the Championship.

stu_1992

Oh feck sake, do we really need to do this again already? No this shouldn't happen, it benefits who other than Celtic and Rangers exactly? We were all bashing the clubs proposing a European Super League, well keep the same energy for this because this is for no other reasons than greed, just like the other one. Not that I'm a watcher of Scottish football but clearly a lot of people there do and by Celtic and Rangers abandoning their league, that could be the final nail in the coffin for those clubs as no doubt attendances and tv revenue would plummet. Perhaps if they were completely amalgamating the leagues then I could see more sense, but this is rubbish. In any case, no idea how reliable the people reporting this are so it could all be bollocks.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
For the people who are saying to bring the teams in Scotland into the English leagues: logistically does this work for the fans? Let's say Ross County are in the same league as Exeter City then the teams and the fans would have a 1,200 mile round trip taking over 20 hours by road. The lower league clubs can't afford to be flying their whole squad around the British Isles.

Judas

Open to offers
No thanks. We've nothing to really gain from bring them in. They're not going to win the league without a big takeover, so would just be more middle of the pack fodder.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
For the people who are saying to bring the teams in Scotland into the English leagues: logistically does this work for the fans? Let's say Ross County are in the same league as Exeter City then the teams and the fans would have a 1,200 mile round trip taking over 20 hours by road. The lower league clubs can't afford to be flying their whole squad around the British Isles.
You make it sounds like it's unheard of. That's roughly the distance between Rouen and Perpignan in Pro D2

redshaw

A big problem is CL places, it's already very tight with 6 clubs rotating for 4 spots, we don't need more when these two get up and running. No club wants to give their spot up for them so they'd have to start from the very bottom

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Just make Carabao the “British Cup” and invite them there.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
You make it sounds like it's unheard of. That's roughly the distance between Rouen and Perpignan in Pro D2
I'm not. I'm questioning whether it's wise to introduce hundreds more long distance fixtures into the football calendar.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
It's always felt a bit weird how you have a couple of Welsh clubs in the English leagues but no Scottish or Northern Irish clubs. Just collect everyone in the Great British football pyramid and get it over with.

gajender

A big problem is CL places, it's already very tight with 6 clubs rotating for 4 spots, we don't need more when these two get up and running. No club wants to give their spot up for them so they'd have to start from the very bottom
After all the hue and cry and self righteous indignation about the sporting merit and sanctity of Football pyramid ,how can anybody float an Idea of planting Couple of football clubs in anything other than at bottom of the football pyramid frankly it reeks of hypocrisy and if it's an Idea of Pl or Fa I'll be damned .

PS I don't actually believe something Like this would actually be proposed and gets approved.

Classical Mechanic

It's always felt a bit weird how you have a couple of Welsh clubs in the English leagues but no Scottish or Northern Irish clubs. Just collect everyone in the Great British football pyramid and get it over with.
Scotland and NI don't want to be involved. The fans of Rangers and Celtic do. Only the Welsh and English played in the 2012 GB Olympic football team.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I agree. If you’re gonna amalgamate, then do the whole thing and make it a British Football League and British Premier League
This is a far better idea than just allowing the Old Firm to leave, that would destroy Scottish football.
I have seen comments saying 'there's not much to destroy anyway' which is a bit far and while the quality is not great it's still our premier league that would be under grave threat, and the biggest two teams leaving would be the death knell. Any financial input from broadcasters would immediately leave (relatively, it is a good amount the teams get but obviously nowhere near the leagues in England) and the top divisions would be part time within a few years, and would impact the Scotland national team also. Hopefully this is all just a complete pipe dream.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I'm not. I'm questioning whether it's wise to introduce hundreds more long distance fixtures into the football calendar.
I would say that it's a bit different to the way you put it. Reading your previous post, I would think that we are talking about a trip from Moscow to Irkutsk. But I get your point, in the context of british football fans being used to travel shorter distances within the country, the change isn't necessarily going to be welcomed.

OverratedOpinion

I have always loved when we get Celtic in the Champions League, evening games at Celtic Park are brilliant.

Giggsyking

Hypocrites, they cried blood when the SL was announced saying it will hurt the fans and the pyramid, but now they want two teams to go directly into the PL without even competing for the spot leaving and damaging the Scottish PL for ever. Wow the hypocrisy.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Not that I`m overall supportive of the idea (haven`t really made my mind up) but a part of me would absolutely love a season where 6-7 teams get relegated (to achieve this 18 teams with Rangers and Celtic solution). Imagine the absolute carnage it would set off if a third of the league would be axed. You`d probably have teams fighting for international spots and against relegation at the same time at the end of the season :lol:

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
So Im from NL, so maybe I am missing something...

But why - purely from English respective, so leaving the whole 'What would be left of the SPL' out of it - would it be 'a thing' if Rangers and Celtic enter the English competitions, where its perfectly normal/accepted that teams like Cardiff and Swansea are already competing for years...

Drawfull

It's all very well reducing the number of teams, but if the FA aren't going to similarly introduce a no relegation clause, what's the point in welcoming the Old Firm for only one season?

I'm serious, I think they would both be relegated at the first opportunity.

It's a stupid idea, the gulf in quality is simply too great.

Ixion

This would have been good in the late 90s early 2000s.

I don't mind the thought of more games with Rangers and Celtic, they'd fill out their stadiums and create some exciting games. I''m not a fan of reducing the League to 18 teams though, and they'd have to start at the bottom like any other side and make their way up rather than being injected straight at the top.

I don't agree with the idea they'd get relegated though. As soon as they were accepted, with the cash boost it would give them and the greater appeal for signing players they'd strengthen a lot. Lots of players would love to play in front of 60k every week in the PL.

There could be something in Scottish teams joining the League and FA Cup at the Third Round (after having their own Rounds 1 and 2 to "qualify"). Something like that could be more realistic.