British Super League?...

Trequarista10

Numerous people saying Celtic and Rangers would not be good enough to be PL sides are either oblivious or purposefully missing the point.

With the extra income from being in the English league (even if they started in the Championship or below) they would be knocking on the door of the top PL sides in no time. They are huge, well supported clubs with a big appeal. They are bigger clubs than Tottenham, West Ham, Leicester, Everton etc. They would only be behind ourselves, Liverpool and the sugar daddy clubs.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Numerous people saying Celtic and Rangers would not be good enough to be PL sides are either oblivious or purposefully missing the point.

With the extra income from being in the English league (even if they started in the Championship or below) they would be knocking on the door of the top PL sides in no time. They are huge, well supported clubs with a big appeal. They are bigger clubs than Tottenham, West Ham, Leicester, Everton etc. They would only be behind ourselves, Liverpool and the sugar daddy clubs.
Nah, they would be Newcastle type clubs.

Trequarista10

Nah, they would be Newcastle type clubs.
They're bigger than Newcastle. Celtic in particular. Newcastle have a large and passionate following in Newcastle, Celtic have a large and passionate following throughout Scotland, Ireland and overseas.

led_scholes

A way for it to work is if they go in Championship in 2024. They agree with UEFA to keep their European spots based on the position they achieved the previous year in the scottish league, and after they join the PL they make a gentlemen's agreement with UEFA to use the wildcars for two years.

Edit: if they want it to be more fair, they should try include all the scottish teams. So, top 4 in SPL go to championship, 4 teams go to League one, and the rest go to League two, or something like this. If another team rather than Celtic or Rangers for example wins the league in 2023 or comes second, then they will take the aforementioned european wildcards.

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
This is getting out of hand now. Just keep it as it is and move on.

gajender

A way for it to work is if they go in Championship in 2024. They agree with UEFA to keep their European spots based on the position they achieved the previous year in the scottish league, and after they join the PL they make a gentlemen's agreement with UEFA to use the wildcars for two years.
Just out of curiosity what was your opinion on recently Doomed ESL. Yay or Nay?

alexthelion

Part two?

Chatter emerging tonight now about a potential British Super League now. ‘Chatter’ is as much credibility I’m giving it now based on the sources.

SPL is already trash but Rangers and Celtic leaving would surely finish it once and for all. At the same time, I don’t think Rangers and Celtic should be held back by the league either. They have been having their own conversations totally separate from the rest of the teams for decades now, they aren’t really any part of a ‘league’ so to speak.
If they want to join the English football pyramid then they should start in the Conference and work their way up.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
They're bigger than Newcastle. Celtic in particular. Newcastle have a large and passionate following in Newcastle, Celtic have a large and passionate following throughout Scotland, Ireland and overseas.
Problem is their board. Celtic should really be performing at a level similar to Benfica or Porto or something. Yet, struggle to compete in Europe. Cannot see them doing enough in England to get into the top 3-5 teams in England.

I think that after a few seasons, those clubs would be competing for champions league places. Once they have had a few years of Premier league money.
Would the new league only have 4 CL places?

AaronRedDevil

Problem is their board. Celtic should really be performing at a level similar to Benfica or Porto or something. Yet, struggle to compete in Europe. Cannot see them doing enough in England to get into the top 3-5 teams in England.
Give it time when they get the PL money.

dinostar77

I'm not against the idea of a british league of 18 clubs. I dont think it would happen though and I'd want Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs to be in it. Which would leave 13 places. Then 2 places go to Cardiff and Swansea. That leaves 11 places in the league for 20 current PL clubs. Good luck with sorting that out.

CL spots were extended to 5 would be a must as well.

Its a nice idea but even the so called "big six" would be wary of having rangers and celtic in their league. Would take a few seasons but they would catch up and their fanbase is massive.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I’d let them join the English system if they started at the bottom. If not, get fecked.

I'm not against the idea of a british league of 18 clubs. I dont think it would happen though and I'd want Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs to be in it. Which would leave 13 places. Then 2 places go to Cardiff and Swansea. That leaves 11 places in the league for 20 current PL clubs. Good luck with sorting that out.

CL spots were extended to 5 would be a must as well.

Its a nice idea but even the so called "big six" would be wary of having rangers and celtic in their league. Would take a few seasons but they would catch up and their fanbase is massive.
This

Classical Mechanic

This is a total myth. Both clubs have about half the followers of Aston Villa on twitter. For them to mix with the big boys in the Premier League they'd need to win the owner lottery.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I've always wanted a Great Britain league as much as possible because I felt that England as a national team has this weird lack of diversity compared to what's actually seen in the country.

When I look at a team like France or Germany that mixes the nationality of Algerians, Turkish, plus so many other African country players alongside the national French players and I'm always confused to see if England is getting the best and mixed range of players they could.

When I look at a difference than someone like Grealish has made when choosing England as their national team + the useful performance of Rice; I wonder what Great Britains ability would be if we had the Scottish greats of the 80's or the world class welsh players like Giggs and Bale were fighting for the same cups and team.

I understand the fights or wars in the past effects some of these teams getting together and fighting for one; yet its something I wanted and possibly something that can help mend some of the wounds that had been made before rather than letting them leave and get worse or rot.

acnumber9

They have a passionate following in Ireland amongst people who also support English teams. That would have to change.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
So it's okay for the Scotland's domestic league to go to shit once their top (two) clubs leave, but everybody and their families throw a shit fit when PL league teams threaten to join a European competition, not a domestic one....right.
It's funny aswell because the big 6 would have still been playing in the premier League, whereas the old firm wouldn't.

Whereas all the outrage?

Ixion

This is a total myth. Both clubs have about half the followers of Aston Villa on twitter. For them to mix with the big boys in the Premier League they'd need to win the owner lottery.
Rangers had an average attendance of over 40k even when they dropped to the third division. Villa's average attendance is 28. Maybe Twitter isn't the best metric.

And the point almost everyone deliberately misses is the boost in cash and profile both clubs would get if they joined the PL. The base they would have to work with is bigger than Villa, Newcastle etc.

Lemon Moon

I would be happy to welcome the Scottish Premiership teams into our football league.

But how would we determine who goes where?

Lemon Moon

I would be happy to welcome the Scottish Premiership teams into our football league.

They could have a League tournament where the top 2 join the Premier League & 3rd to 6th join the Championship.

And the rest of them stay in the Scottish Prem.

pascell

This surely won't happen, founding teams of the EFL won't be too happy if they're asked to move aside for the two Scottish teams. Then what will happen to the SFL? If Celtic and Rangers move to the EFL, the SFL becomes less marketable and the other clubs will suffer financially. Or will it then set a precedent that other Scottish teams can enter the EFL?

Just yet another money grab from the higher-ups across the board.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Not having this, it is just the Super League but with a GB twist. If Celtic and Rangers want to join they can join at level 9 or whatever and try and build their way from there..

pascell

They could have a League tournament where the top 2 join the Premier League & 3rd to 6th join the Championship.

And the rest of them stay in the Scottish Prem.
You do know you just replied to yourself, don't you? :lol:

Classical Mechanic

Rangers had an average attendance of over 40k even when they dropped to the third division. Villa's average attendance is 28. Maybe Twitter isn't the best metric.

And the point almost everyone deliberately misses is the boost in cash and profile both clubs would get if they joined the PL. The base they would have to work with is bigger than Villa, Newcastle etc.
Social media is the best metric for widespread appeal by far. Look at any platform and it's clear that the 'massive' fanbases of Rangers and Celtic are a total myth.

Aston Villa's attendance is generally around 40k in the Premier League by the way.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
This is just an old story that's been dusted off to gain a few clicks. The ship sailed about 20 years ago. It's no longer in the Premier League's interest to jeopardise the 'sanctity' of the English football pyramid, especially given the greater threat of the ESL hovering above, for the sake of 2 big clubs.

The game up here was left behind by the monopolisation of resources a long time ago. We've already adapted. While any loss of the Old Firm clubs would further reduce the value of the paltry TV deal, the league would survive. The game is hugely popular within Scotland and clubs have long histories and well established rivalries. Per capita of population, more people attend Scottish games than just about any other country in Europe.

If the Scottish game or the Old Firm want a bigger slice of the TV pie then they are more likely to go into bed with other smaller-to-medium sized countries who have similar challenges. Regional leagues will be the logical response to the concentration of TV money amongst the biggest European leagues and the zero fecks given by those countries to the wider European game.

Social media is the best metric for widespread appeal by far. Look at any platform and it's clear that the 'massive' fanbases of Rangers and Celtic are a total myth.

Aston Villa's attendance is generally around 40k in the Premier League by the way.
It's also the metric that fluctuates with the wind. Whichever team is promoted into the high-exposure Premier League gets the same bump in short-term followership, and that will quickly dissipate if and when that club is relegated. As a metric it's crap at measuring sustainable long-term support.

Classical Mechanic

It's also the metric that fluctuates with the wind. Whichever team is promoted into the high-exposure Premier League gets the same bump in short-term followership, and that will quickly dissipate if and when that club is relegated. As a metric it's crap at measuring sustainable long-term support.
It shows that the Old Firm have a small dedicated fan base and that the mythical millions just don't exist. Yes, it would grow if they were in the Premier League but the idea that they're any bigger of a club than a Villa or Everton is total fantasy. The idea that if they were in the Premier League that they'd automatically become a top four club is total fantasy. They'd need a wealthy owner or exceptional (low probability) moves in the transfer market to achieve that.

Stacks

Part two?

Chatter emerging tonight now about a potential British Super League now. ‘Chatter’ is as much credibility I’m giving it now based on the sources.

SPL is already trash but Rangers and Celtic leaving would surely finish it once and for all. At the same time, I don’t think Rangers and Celtic should be held back by the league either. They have been having their own conversations totally separate from the rest of the teams for decades now, they aren’t really any part of a ‘league’ so to speak.
Old firm global fanbase?

Tom8700

Supports
Bayern
Well, the word Super leauge is tainted but in general a joint leauge system of all British countries makes so much sense from an outside perspective.
I have always wondered why this has not been done a long time ago.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
The rebulding of every town they visit each season after their "supporters" go on the rampage would wipe out the financial gains.

led_scholes

Just out of curiosity what was your opinion on recently Doomed ESL. Yay or Nay?
It was a big No. Here i m just saying how it could work fairer in my opinion. Thats why i believe that all the Scottish teams should be included if they agree to do so obviously. But i don't think that the ESL and this is exactly the same case.

gajender

It was a big No. Here i m just saying how it could work fairer in my opinion. Thats why i believe that all the Scottish teams should be included if they agree to do so obviously. But i don't think that the ESL and this is exactly the same case.
So completely bypassing the football pyramid and making mockery of the whole relegation and promotions process by parachuting couple of teams directly into what's second tier of England's football pyramid is fair.
Degrees might differ but principles are same that some are more equal than the others .

ShinjiNinja26

All this uproar and chaos caused by the news of the ESL in the last couple of days but now seemingly happy enough to take Rangers and Celtic out and form a “British Super League” and destroy the Scottish League in the process. A load of bollocks surely.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I’d let them join the English system if they started at the bottom. If not, get fecked.
This.

They can feck right off if they want to walk right in. There’s better teams in the Championship who are way more deserving of a place in the PL.

Start at the bottom or do one.

nmm85

Not sure if a league is realistic. Could they not expand the FA Cup to be UK-wide? Could be pretty exciting and not ruffle too many feathers.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
All this uproar and chaos caused by the news of the ESL in the last couple of days but now seemingly happy enough to take Rangers and Celtic out and form a “British Super League” and destroy the Scottish League in the process. A load of bollocks surely.
They are effectively just providing charity to the Scottish League anyway. They’re all deceiving themselves, nobody is ‘competing’ with them up there, and them leaving will hurt, but what is left will be a realistic view of what Scottish football actually is. And if that is feck all, then that’s what Scottish football is. They have two clubs that will otherwise continue to have a private conversation with themselves for eternity bar the occasional miracle.

dinostar77

Twitter followers? Really?
I lived up there for 5 years, i know how big they are. They are massive clubs would become major players in any new BSL after a few seasons. They would need to upgrade their squad which they could easily do with the new income.

Boavista

It won't happen because why would teams in England want to potentially make it harder for themselves to get promoted etc.

If there was desire for it to happen anyway, the right thing to do would be to subsidise the Scottish tv deal in perpetuity. It's a drop in the bucket for the Premier League, but would possibly prevent Scottish football from going under.