Bruno Fernandes False 9

Skills

Snitch
Does this sort out the midfield headache going forward?

1. It gets one of our best players on the pitch and in the final third which is where he's exclusively good at
2. We can play a proper midfield 3
3. It opens up more midfield options in the summer - at the moment, the only way to make it work is that we sign 2 number 6s who sit behind the 10. But then, we can look at getting a 6 and an 8 which is probably more doable.
4. Playing a 3 in midfield also opens up more opportunities for some fringe players to be involved (Donny if he's back, Garner if he isn't sent on loan)
5. With a more solid foundation in midfield, we push our fullbacks further up the pitch.

Judas

Open to offers
I don't think he's best super far forward personally, takes away his passing range, and means he's often just running around like a headless chicken.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
This is exceptionally hard now without a left footed forward.

Bwuk

He’s been good in the 3 man midfield. Why change that? We’ve looked better since moving to 433.

Andre Kagawa

In theory I'd be all for it, but we don’t have the squad for it - gonna need him in midfield.

Not gonna happen in a million years either, with over-the-hill moaning Ronaldo in the team.

Ogaranya

That will happen if we set up a midfield three that play as shuttlers when we are out of possession because if he is to play as a false 9, then our front three has to be fluid.

Remember the geese

I've been all for this for a while. Difficult to implement though with Ronaldo at the club. It would allow us to play a proper midfield three, instead of a two, with Bruno as a 10. Will definitely require us to sign some more central midfielders, but that should be happening regardless. I feel it would give us more control in games, although Bruno has done well as an 8 in our last couple of fixtures. It offers us good tactical flexibility and should at least be tried at some point.

UpWithRivers

I was all for this but now we lost the the one who should not be named who's name starts with G its a bit harder. We have wide forwards in Rashford and G that were ideal for this. They are useless at being actual wingers and cant cross or set up the number 9 to save their lives. So playing Bruno as a false 9 made sense and would allow them to do what they do best - cut in and shoot. If we could get 12 plus goals from each and Bruno got good numbers then it would work. However now we have Sancho as the main guy on the right (if he can kick on) and Amad, Pellestri coming through Im not sure it works anymore. Plus I never thought Bruno could work in midfield but he has done alright the last few games. Plus we really need decent RB/LB. Dallot, Shaw, Telles are all ok but they arnt exactly pulling up trees in an attacking sense.
Im still all for trying it at least. If we cant get a Haaland then getting a top striker is going to be hard. Unless we go down the path of buying 35 year olds again - Benzima etc which is ridiculous.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Bruno as a false 9 means no CR7 or Cavani. I've been saying for a while that I would like to see us play a 4-3-3 with Bruno on the left. Considering the options we have now that would be:

-----------------------------Matic--------------------------
-----------McTominay-------Fred-------------------
Sancho----------------CR7------------------Bruno

Or if Pogba is back insert him in for either of McFred. McTominay can also rotate in for Matic at DM I suppose...

lex talionis

Maybe next season, but we can't have both Ronaldo and Cavani on the bench to accommodate Bruno as a false nine. The better way to think about that role is an in-game option for Ralf (or his successor) if things aren't clicking for Ronaldo and Cavani is out with injury, which seems to be quite often.

Judas

Open to offers
I don't think he's best super far forward personally, takes away his passing range, and means he's often just running around like a headless chicken.
Kind of want to take back what I said simply due to our striking options right now. If Pogba can stay fit, I probably wouldn't be against giving this a try. We'd probably be a lot more fluid.

Red00012

He’s an option for when Ronaldo is fecked seeing as Cavani is a part time option

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
For me, Bruno is not a midfielder. He gives the ball away too easily in bad areas. I'd like to see him further up the pitch, but that doesn't mean in a false 9. We aren't City. We need a real 9. Where I'd like to see Bruno is on the left wing. Personally, I think we will see more goals and assists from Bruno in that position. Not sure why he is never played there. In fact, with the players we have (had) I'd play a 4-3-3 with the midfield/attack like this

---------------------------Matic---------------------------
-------------VdB----------------------Pogba-----------
Sancho--------------Ronaldo-------------Bruno

We need technical players. No idea why VdB wasn't ever given a fair chance. I swear if we had B Silva he'd be wasted on our team. Same goes for De Brunyne. We would only play them in a #10. Bottom line, our midfield is the area where we need the most improvement. Definitely need a world class DM who can play every game and need a Pogba replacement

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
For me, Bruno is not a midfielder. He gives the ball away too easily in bad areas. I'd like to see him further up the pitch, but that doesn't mean in a false 9. We aren't City. We need a real 9. Where I'd like to see Bruno is on the left wing. Personally, I think we will see more goals and assists from Bruno in that position. Not sure why he is never played there. In fact, with the players we have (had) I'd play a 4-3-3 with the midfield/attack like this

---------------------------Matic---------------------------
-------------VdB----------------------Pogba-----------
Sancho--------------Ronaldo-------------Bruno

We need technical players. No idea why VdB wasn't ever given a fair chance. I swear if we had B Silva he'd be wasted on our team. Same goes for De Brunyne. We would only play them in a #10. Bottom line, our midfield is the area where we need the most improvement. Definitely need a world class DM who can play every game and need a Pogba replacement
Bruno on the wing would be like Mata on the wing, I don’t think it’s the solution. He doesn’t have the physical capabilities, nor any sort of 1v1 ability. I know he wouldn’t be a conventional winger in your proposal - but he’s not a player who has the short game required to be a link player from the wing either IMO. Players like Mata and David Silva had world class short games, so out wide they built play with quick one-two’s as they worked their way in field.

I’m inclined to agree with Bruno being best suited as a false 9 in a top team.

gajender

Bruno on the wing would be like Mata on the wing, I don’t think it’s the solution. He doesn’t have the physical capabilities, nor any sort of 1v1 ability. I know he wouldn’t be a conventional winger in your proposal - but he’s not a player who has the short game required to be a link player from the wing either IMO. Players like Mata and David Silva had world class short games, so out wide they built play with quick one-two’s as they worked their way in field.

I’m inclined to agree with Bruno being best suited as a false 9 in a top team.
He lacks too much in fundamentals to actually start for top teams sooner United realise that better it would be .

Yagami

Good post resistant
He's too weak. You want your false nines to be able to receive the ball in the channels, but Bruno wouldn't be able to hold onto it with someone on his back.

We wouldn't get out of our half against pressing teams because he'd be no outlet, and when we're on the front foot, we'll be too limited with our passing options as we'd know a ball through the lines to Bruno would result in a loss of possession eight times out of ten.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He lacks too much in fundamentals to actually start for top teams sooner United realise that better it would be .
I don’t disagree with this either, I just think false 9 would be his most suited. But even there, his short/link game would be required to be a lot better than it is.

sparx99

I think he could be perfect in a top side that is defensively rock solid. Two proper midfielders behind him. Hardworking wingers and CF. Then Bruno has free reign to be a maverick. He plays somewhat how Rooney did with Carrick and Scholes behind him keeping the ball.

gregor

I thought this would be great for ages, going off yesterday I was wrong.
Maybe it should be tested against inferior opposition. You don't experiment against the best team in the league. But to be fair, it looked like the best option before the match.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I think he could be perfect in a top side that is defensively rock solid. Two proper midfielders behind him. Hardworking wingers and CF. Then Bruno has free reign to be a maverick. He plays somewhat how Rooney did with Carrick and Scholes behind him keeping the ball.
Top sides of today are more proactive than what you described I feel. Typically, a top side will have upwards of 60% of the ball all game, not be geared to frustrate. Most of their training and approach would be based on them having the ball.

Hammondo

Hes never in midfield anyway, hes basically already doing it.

gajender

Rooney was quite strong unlike Fernandes who tumbles over even with a slightest touch and tries to milk every challenge even to the detriment of his own team , not to mention Rooney was far superior player with better game intelligence as well , frankly speaking Comparing Bruno with Rooney is quite a disservice to Wazza.

sparx99

Top sides of today are more proactive than what you described I feel. Typically, a top side will have upwards of 60% of the ball all game, not be geared to frustrate. Most of their training and approach would be based on them having the ball.
Yeah, I get that. I just mean top sides of old. Chelsea under Mourinho the 1st time or Simeone's Atletico. Defensively sound teams who could use a maverick no10 to be creative. I'm just trying to hypothesize how he could be effective for a top tier team.

sparx99

Rooney was quite strong unlike Fernandes who tumbles over even with a slightest touch and tries to milk every challenge even to the detriment of his own team , not to mention Rooney was far superior player with better game intelligence as well , frankly speaking Comparing Bruno with Rooney is quite a disservice to Wazza.
Yes, I'm not saying he's Rooney's equal but Bruno has the ability to score 20 goals and get 20 assists in a season. We've seen him post similar numbers in a worse Utd team than Rooney played in.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
You can't play Bruno as a False 9 with forwards like Sancho and Elanga.

It just has the wrong balance.

Steve Bruce

Bruno with 2 top 8s behind him or a 6 & 8 behind him is where we need him.

Bruno is a top player, we're just not getting the best out of him because our team are severely under performing and frankly far from good enough.

You put KDB in the United side this season, people would be questioning KDB as well. We are so far short of where we should be that legit top players look sooooo bad and eventually the confidence hits the floor, which I think has happened to Bruno.

luke511

If Ronaldo leaves in the summer, that leaves 2 CF spaces that need filling. Given the other roles that need addressing as well, Bruno would be a great alternative for next season playing there as a free role, it probably fits his game better as a false 9 in Ten Hag's system (providing he signs) over a no.8 role anyway, more freedom and he can still show his creative side. It would give us more discipline and control in midfield too, not as many loose passes or holes for opposition to take advantage of. Money saved could be put into getting a new DM, DLP/no.8 and a second CF.

Greck

False 9 under RR is possible but in a highly complex possession system is something else.

Tavern in the town

Would never work. If you look at all the best false 9s in history like Totti, Messi, Firmino etc, the one thing they all have in common is that they can drop into the small gap between the opposition’s defence and midfield and comfortably receive the ball there. Bruno’s tight space game isn’t very refined, his strengths definitely lie elsewhere. His centre of gravity is nowhere near low enough to make a good false 9.

MUW4Eva

Would never work. If you look at all the best false 9s in history like Totti, Messi, Firmino etc, the one thing they all have in common is that they can drop into the small gap between the opposition’s defence and midfield and comfortably receive the ball there. Bruno’s tight space game isn’t very refined, his strengths definitely lie elsewhere. His centre of gravity is nowhere near low enough to make a good false 9.
Errrr.................did you really, Really, REally, REAlly, REALly, REALLy, REALLY put Firmino alongside Messi and Totti??!!!

What the heck have I just seen???!!!

Tavern in the town

Errrr.................did you really, Really, REally, REAlly, REALly, REALLy, REALLY put Firmino alongside Messi and Totti??!!!

What the heck have I just seen???!!!
Yes, I just said Firmino is as good as Messi and Totti. That’s exactly what I said in my post. I must applaud your reading comprehension.

Valencia Shin Crosses

That's sort of what he does anyways though, and his passing range is overrated. He's much better as a final third passer than someone spraying long balls around.

I think the only thing with playing Bruno as a false 9 is that he isn't good enough as a dribbler under pressure as someone you'd like in that role. Perhaps he could play it differently than other successful 9.5's and I do think it would be a great tactic to use in certain games or situations because it allows him to fully focus on the final third creativity that he thrives in while being able to still have that gunslinger mentality that doesn't work as well in a disciplined midfield role.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Problem with Bruno as false 9 is he has erratic first touch and often struggle to control the ball when under pressure. He should be played behind physical striker to enhance his full strength as a player.

The striker with physical presence occupy defenders and create enough space for Bruno to do his magic in front of goal.

Caesar2290

If ETH comes, he might play him as a false 9 like he did with Tadic back in 2019

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Problem with Bruno as false 9 is he has erratic first touch and often struggle to control the ball when under pressure. He should be played behind physical striker to enhance his full strength as a player.

The striker with physical presence occupy defenders and create enough space for Bruno to do his magic in front of goal.
Completely agree, he can easily be shrugged off the ball.

Teja

Completely agree, he can easily be shrugged off the ball.
I think his awareness is great in that position actually. Him getting shrugged off the ball when he's deep in our half is a big problem but if he's further forward, he has good enough close control and awareness to trick the defender.

We played him as a false 9 under Ole before with Rashford, Greenwood as the two forwards that cut-in. We were pretty good in those games too. Dunno why we didn't try that more after Pogba came back, we immediately put Pogba LW and Bruno #10.

I'd love it if Rangnick gives it a go again. Has to drop / rest Ronaldo for it to work.