Bruno Fernandes False 9

Abraxas

Pace isn't everything in football. What you need is good movement. Unless you want us to play the same way we have been in the past and depend on individual brilliance. Then sure, pace is great. But tell me....do City depend on pace to score goals? Do Liverpool? Do any of the great teams depend on pace or is it great off the ball movement and smart football?
It's not about depending on pace it's about having a quality in your team that is important in modern football against many teams that are going to push up against you.

Foden has plenty of pace. Mahrez is also decently quick, Pep has relied on Sterling a lot in the past. Mane has tons of pace. It is important to have that balance of qualities.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
He was a bit better, but nowhere near enough to be our main winger next season. No way. Many mistakes again today against a very average team. Plus he cant dribble to save his life. No not on the wing please.
How can you say no way when you haven't even seen it happen for more than a game? And again, do you want individual goals or team play? This "Bruno can't dribble" crap is just that. Crap.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
It's not about depending on pace it's about having a quality in your team that is important in modern football against many teams that are going to push up against you.

Foden has plenty of pace. Mahrez is also decently quick, Pep has relied on Sterling a lot in the past. Mane has tons of pace. It is important to have that balance of qualities.
Those players movement is way more important than their pace. Pace is great for counter attacking football. If we want to be a force again then we have to stop with this counter attacking style and look for smart players

Abraxas

Those players movement is way more important than their pace. Pace is great for counter attacking football. If we want to be a force again then we have to stop with this counter attacking style and look for smart players
All I'm saying is that if you look at the composition of most successful forward lines they do contain a blend of qualities, especially in the PL so I would reason that those managers do find pace to be important. It's a bit binary to think that having someone with pace equals counterattack. Ideally we want people with athleticism, ability and movement. To me Bruno, Sancho and an old lad up front looks wrong and I don't think ETH will go for that, if anything those two might share a position off the left. I'd expect a right sided player to come in and if we can add a younger striker to share the burden with Ronaldo that would help.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I've said it on this thread and on several others as well. Bruno should be on the wing. He has been brutal lately and he is finally having a good game today and guess what position he's playing? On the wing. The very same position most of the "experts" on TheCaf said he couldn't play
Ajax fans on YouTube I watched mentioned that ETH wingers usually play like a no 10 in ETH system. Wouldn’t be surprised if we see Bruno is used on the wing in ETH system while VDB takes the actual no 10 spot.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Ajax fans on YouTube I watched mentioned that ETH wingers usually play like a no 10 in ETH system. Wouldn’t be surprised if we see Bruno is used on the wing in ETH system while VDB takes the actual no 10 spot.
I don't think we will play with a #10. No top team in Europe plays a 4-2-3-1. They all play 4-3-3 (for the most part)...

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Could work, I'll assume his lack of discretion on the ball would be of far less concern in that scenario.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I don't think we will play with a #10. No top team in Europe plays a 4-2-3-1. They all play 4-3-3 (for the most part)...
Whatever you want to call it mate. I initially thought you would understand when I said no 10 in ETH system.

Skills

Snitch
I'm convinced this is the way to go, and Ronaldo leaving sorts out the Bruno head ache.

UnitedFire

I'm convinced this is the way to go, and Ronaldo leaving sorts out the Bruno head ache.
Its not and it doesn't. The end!

Any more square pegs for star shaped holes...? I'll show you where to put those too!

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It's just a shit idea and wont work.

Bruno hates being hit from behind. He rolls on the floor at every slight tap. He's not a strong player and and can't hold up the ball.

You then take away his best abilities which are passing, shooting and running.

If you want a false 9 Amad would do a better job.

OleGunnar20

Its not and it doesn't. The end!
Quite the conversationalist you ey ..

Could be an option. Not one I love mind you, but who knows how ETH will play it. Seems unlikely our budget will stretch to a top quality midfielder AND a top quality striker, especially considering how tight the market for #9's is at the moment.

I'd prefer a top quality CM if it were an either / or decision personally.

hobbers

The best thing about Bruno being false 9 is he doesnt end up in our own half, where's he's nothing but a massive fecking liability.

OleGunnar20

It's just a shit idea and wont work.

Bruno hates being hit from behind. He rolls on the floor at every slight tap. He's not a strong player and and can't hold up the ball.

You then take away his best abilities which are passing, shooting and running.

If you want a false 9 Amad would do a better job.
Passing, Shooting and Running are very important skills for a False 9 though, so I'd disagree with that point personally. It would also allow Brunos natural high risk gameplay to be utilised where it doesn't risk harming us, as opposed to deeper, closer to our goal.

Not my favourite option of Ronaldo replacements just to be clear, but I don't think it's entirely without merit.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
It’s the best option for what is currently at the club.

Not saying it’s a great option…

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Certainly keeps him further away from the "Pogba risk zone", but he's much better feeding someone else and feasting on the left overs.

Skills

Snitch
Certainly keeps him further away from the "Pogba risk zone", but he's much better feeding someone else and feasting on the left overs.
I believe his best form usually came paired with Martial, who's not really a conventional CF. He'd usually drift wide, and Bruno would end up occupying space in the middle

RuudTom83

City have been playing without a CF for years...so what if ETH has to live without a 37/38 old Ronaldo...I'm sure Bruno could do a job until January at least.

I'm under the assumption that United are not going to challenge for the league any time soon and the aim this season is top 4.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I've seen this mentioned a few times on here and I just hate the thought of it. I'm not comparing the two in quality, but it's like discussing playing Pirlo at false 9. They've got strong attributes but none of what is needed in that position in my opinion. Bruno is better facing play, trying to create, long balls over the top etc. A false 9 needs to be able to hold up play through strength or dribbling ability, something Bruno has neither of. This is why it works at City though, because the likes of Foden are pretty press resistant.

Naturally a winger is more suited than a CM to this role, I believe.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Passing, Shooting and Running are very important skills for a False 9 though, so I'd disagree with that point personally. It would also allow Brunos natural high risk gameplay to be utilised where it doesn't risk harming us, as opposed to deeper, closer to our goal.

Not my favourite option of Ronaldo replacements just to be clear, but I don't think it's entirely without merit.
You need to be able to actually stand up to do that, and Bruno falls over with any slight pressure. It just won't work.

We've tried him as a false 9 in the past and he's dreadful at it.

Skills

Snitch
You need to be able to actually stand up to do that, and Bruno falls over with any slight pressure. It just won't work.

We've tried him as a ST not a false 9. There's no way our approach play or movement, was anything like a team who plays a false 9. The whole set up asks the wing forwards to play as strikers at times, and our play was never anywhere close to being mature enough for that set up

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I agree. His suicidal passing is less destructive in that role.

OleGunnar20

Sure, he's not ready-made perfection. But I don't think he was really tried as a flase 9 in a functioning system, and I don't rate any of the coaches who were around at that time highly enough to judge his ability based on that tiny sample.

It may well not be the best way forward for us as a team of Bruno as an individual, but with proper coaching I think he has the base ingredients to do very well there.

He would need to stop falling over quite so easily.

Mcking

This thread, the false 9 and inverted winger shouts for Bruno Fernandes in other threads make me feel like puking.

Reeks of understanding that he is a midfielder who is not very good in midfield, but finding it difficult to acknowledge that a midfielder who is not very good in midfield, and can't play well in the team's midfield should not be in the team to begin with, so trying to find other positions to fit him into.

If hopefully, a better and proper midfielder comes in, he should go to the bench. If a better midfielder doesn't come in, accept his flaws and let him play in midfield.

No need to feel so entitled to indulge a footballer because of the reputation he's got, especially when he's got that reputation mostly by being privileged to stand behind almost 40 penalties in three years.

gajender

Bruno doesnt have the skill set to play false 9 either he plays as second striker or he goes on the Bench .

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
This thread, the false 9 and inverted winger shouts for Bruno Fernandes in other threads make me feel like puking.

Reeks of understanding that he is a midfielder who is not very good in midfield, but finding it difficult to acknowledge that a midfielder who is not very good in midfield, and can't play well in the team's midfield should not be in the team to begin with, so trying to find other positions to fit him into.

If hopefully, a better and proper midfielder comes in, he should go to the bench. If a better midfielder doesn't come in, accept his flaws and let him play in midfield.

No need to feel so entitled to indulge a footballer because of the reputation he's got, especially when he's got that reputation mostly by being privileged to stand behind almost 40 penalties in three years.
In complete agreement. With Eriksen signed I think we’ll constantly play Fernandes in multiple positions where he’ll struggle to hold down a spot.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Assuming we don't sign anyone:

Casemiro
Eriksen - Fred/McT
Sancho - Bruno - Rash​

Bruno will naturally drop deeper which would give the two midfielders behind him freedom to play B2B roles and constantly make runs. I think this might also be the only formation where Beek could potentially resemble a footballer. Worth a try imo.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

Casemiro
Eriksen - Fred/McT
Sancho - Bruno - Rash​

Bruno will naturally drop deeper which would give the two midfielders behind him freedom to play B2B roles and constantly make runs. I think this might also be the only formation where Beek could potentially resemble a footballer. Worth a try imo.
The ball does not stick with Bruno. He does not bold the ball and bring other into play. He is the exact opposite of a false 9

Samid

The ball does not stick with Bruno. He does not bold the ball and bring other into play. He is the exact opposite of a false 9
You're describing a target man. False 9 is the opposite. A false 9's role is to drop deeper from a high starting position to collect the ball and in the process draw opposition defenders out of position.

b82REZ

This.

The Caf has an obsession with forcing players into the starting lineup, regardless of if they're a natural fit for the position.

Bruno likes to play hot potato with the ball too much to be anything close to resembling a false 9.

This suggestion seems more like another attempt to force DVB into the lineup; a player that has flattered to deceive his entire time in England. Also a player who seemingly isn't impressing the manager who made him to get anything more than time wasting sub appearances.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
You're describing a target man. False 9 is the opposite. A false 9's role is to drop deeper from a high starting position to collect the ball and in the process draw opposition defenders out of position.
Yes and by collecting the ball you need to be able to use it and not give it away

Trequarista10

I think if you have two 8s who do dominate with ball, then a risk taker is what you want from the false 9. I want Bruno as high up the pitch as possible, where his risk taking can directly lead to goals and assists, and so he isn't losing the ball deeper where it can lead to us losing control or facing a counter attack. It's not just his passing, but also his runs, he is quite good at making runs in behind despite his lack of pace. He has the energy and intelligence to get into dangerous positions, and in and around the box he's always a goal threat.

It's as a 10, or especially on occasions he has played as an 8, where his lack of possession play can be a hindrance. I'd like to see it tried at some point. Ideally I think we'd need another ball player in midfield for it to be really workable though:

Martial ---- Bruno ----- Sancho
Eriksen ------- Eriksen
Casemiro
Included Eriksen twice for demonstration purposes obviously. But a player like Ruiz or SMS might fit the bill. The two 8s can dominate the ball and get it to Bruno in dangerous positions up the pitch where he can try his flicks and through balls. It's a better option than starting Rashford through the middle, or Ronaldo in his current form.

I think it's interesting that Bruno has been moved to right wing for the closing minutes of the last two games though. I wonder if ETH sees that as a more viable option.

Crashoutcassius

If we didn't have Bruno we would have 1 PT this season. Maybe when we are a better team we won't need to rely on him. But at the.moment he is our only difference maker

Edit: also, ETH loves a second striker style 10 and two midfielders behind him. People are obsessed with playing 8s. ETH is flexible in most things but has typically had a second striker style 10 who got in the box and got goals and assists. Bruno is one of Europe's goal contribution kings, as he showed Vs pool and today.

Last edited:

The United

Casemiro
Eriksen - Fred/McT
Sancho - Bruno - Rash​

I don't think Bruno can play there due to the fact that we don't have fast goal-scoring forwards on the flanks who can constantly run behind the defense. Rashford can do it at his best, but Sancho is not even a wing forward in a strict sense. Bruno would be terribly isolated in the middle against stronger and bigger players directly man-marking him.

Boondog

He would be excellent in that role if he had better forwards. Also between him and Ericksen you'd have great ball distribution to those better forwards.

Samid

This suggestion seems more like another attempt to force DVB into the lineup; a player that has flattered to deceive his entire time in England. Also a player who seemingly isn't impressing the manager who made him to get anything more than time wasting sub appearances.
If you're referring to my post, not at all. Beek is probably the most pointless player I've seen at the club. I don't have any realistic hope for him. But if we go down the Bruno false 9 route that would allow two B2B midfielders in front of Casemiro. Roles that would suit Eriksen, McT, Fred and even Beek.

Martial being injured means we have to try something different. Elanga starting games and Rashford as CF isn't the answer. I just don't see it with Elanga, he offers very little threat.