Bruno Fernandes False 9

Idxomer

He would be good in that role if he can dribble, hold up play, or find his teammate with accurate short passes.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
I don't think Bruno can play there due to the fact that we don't have fast goal-scoring forwards on the flanks who can constantly run behind the defense. Rashford can do it at his best, but Sancho is not even a wing forward in a strict sense. Bruno would be terribly isolated in the middle against stronger and bigger players directly man-marking him.
One of the main advantages of a false 9 is that you can't really man-mark that player. If you man-mark with a CB the false 9 will drag the CB out of position, opening up space for the wingers and runners from midfield.

If you man-mark with a DM all the false 9 needs to do is hog the offside line and you've essentially turned the DM into a 3rd CB. Pegs the opponent back and leaves acres of space for your midfielders to dictate play (perfect for Eriksen).

b82REZ

If you're referring to my post, not at all. Beek is probably the most pointless player I've seen at the club. I don't have any realistic hope for him. But if we go down the Bruno false 9 route that would allow two B2B midfielders in front of Casemiro. Roles that would suit Eriksen, McT, Fred and even Beek.

Martial being injured means we have to try something different. Elanga starting games and Rashford as CF isn't the answer. I just don't see it with Elanga, he offers very little threat.
DVB is the antithesis of a B2B midfielder. In a very specific system he is a SS or number 10. He simply isn't cut out to play midfield in the PL. He's too lightweight and slow.

We don't have anyone who can effectively play as a false 9. It requires a good reading of the game and the technical ability to drop into midfield to play make. I think this is why the Depay links have intensified in the last week.

I completely agree on Elanga. I don't see what he offers. I'd rather play Garnacho in the front 3 than him.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
If we didn't have Bruno we would have 1 PT this season. Maybe when we are a better team we won't need to rely on him. But at the.moment he is our only difference maker

Edit: also, ETH loves a second striker style 10 and two midfielders behind him. People are obsessed with playing 8s. ETH is flexible in most things but has typically had a second striker style 10 who got in the box and got goals and assists. Bruno is one of Europe's goal contribution kings, as he showed Vs pool and today.
I don't agree with this line of thinking. Right now the whole team setup is adjusted for Bruno, who can only play in this attacking role and needs protection. We switched to traditional 4231 and we're playing pretty much the same game as we did in previous seasons (with some improvements already mind you).

Casemiro opens a lot of possibilities for us, we can easily go midfield 3 with Bruno as false 9, or no Bruno at all.