Bruno Fernandes is the 2023/2024 Sir Matt Busby player of the year

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
He's very much in the "De Gea" category, though.

(He's actually a bit of a De Gea light, all things said and done.)

And not in the "Cristiano Ronaldo" category.

(Yes, I know it's absolutely unnecessary to point this out.)

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
To me he’s closer to the Bryan Robson (of Chester-Le-Street) category.
Heh.

No chance.

(He's not that good, simply put. Don't take it the wrong way, I have nothing against Bruno. And he's been a bright spot in a shite team more than the opposite on the whole. But to compare him to Robson is taking it way too far.)

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Congrats!

Though it shows how shit our other players were that a player who really came to the party in the last 1/4th of the season won the award.

Now please win us the FA cup.

Irwin99

I personally would have said Dalot but looking at Bruno's stats and it's yet another good season for him.

Even when the team struggles (and we really have struggled at times over the years) you can rely on him to get very good numbers in appearances, goals and assists.

m1tch

Fine with Bruno winning it but being Manchester United's best player hasn't meant the same most of the time in the last ten years.

Hoof the ball

I personally would have said Dalot but looking at Bruno's stats and it's yet another good season for him.

Even when the team struggles (and we really have struggled at times over the years) you can rely on him to get very good numbers in appearances, goals and assists.
This is where these awards in general aren't judged on an even scale.

You've got Rodri being snubbed for PL player of the year because Foden had better offensive stats than Rodri.

You've got Bruno winning our player of the year because he had better offense stats than Dalot.

I think defenders and defensive midfielders in general get the bad end of the deal. How are they supposed to win awards when even if they're the best player in any given season, the award is presented to attacking players on prejudice.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
Indicative of the state of the club that if sir matt busby player of the season to be sold tomorrow, many of us would actually be okay.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Thought he was going to announce he’s leaving. Scared the shit out of me.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Seems...unnecessary.
Guess he wanted to clarify his position amid some transfer rumours. And put out a rallying cry for the final.

Sure, he could’ve just done a simple social media post, but I for one loved reading that.

Kirk lazarus

Nobody seems to look at time frame in regards to stats .

If they did , they would know that 7 of Brunos 10 goals came in his last 9 games and that 3 of his assists came in his last 9 games .

So in his first 26 games which is over two thirds of a season . He got something like 3 goals and 5 assists .

I think he's had a strong finish , but he hasn't had a strong season . If he'd have racked up stats right the way through anywhere near like he did at the end , we'd have more points . His stats would also look more in line with the stats of the player we bought .

A 10 goal , (4 pens) 8 assists this season , 8 goals and assists last season . Playing as a hardworking forward doesn't overly impress me . Like I said , they certainly aren't the returns that made us buy him .

His stats are very good over 9 games and they weren't very good over 26. A season is 38 games . 35 in Bruno's case . I'd have no argument Bruno winning March , April , player of the month , but I disagree that he's been player of the season .

Last edited:

Grande

Heh.

No chance.

(He's not that good, simply put. Don't take it the wrong way, I have nothing against Bruno. And he's been a bright spot in a shite team more than the opposite on the whole. But to compare him to Robson is taking it way too far.)
I take it your nick is not coincidental :) Bryan Robson was my favourite player from 1982 to 1994. He became a league winner with United in a support role as I remember it. Before that, he was mainly the shining light in a eighties team with several other very good players who never reached the consistency to challenge at the very top, but won a couple of very significant FA Cups. Whereas others were up and down, and had questions around their dedication or effort at times, Bryan Robson was always among the best on the pitch when he played, and could never be faulted for effort. The two biggest limitations to his career compared to heroes of the time like Dalglish and Keegan was the injuries, and the fact that he played for Man United. The Cup Winners Cup and Premier League medals of 1991 and 1993 respectively, was well deserved even if they both came when he was well into his thirties.

GMoore23

There shouldn't have been any award this year. Don't reward mediocrity.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I take it your nick is not coincidental
I'm not 100% sure, but I think back when I signed up you weren't allowed to use hyphens in your username. So, I couldn't go for Chester-le-Street. But, yeah - the nick is very much a tribute to Robbo.

Not sure if you can have hyphenated usernames these days, but back then (*coughs like an old man*) the Caf ran on different software.

Grande

I'm not 100% sure, but I think back when I signed up you weren't allowed to use hyphens in your username. So, I couldn't go for Chester-le-Street. But, yeah - the nick is very much a tribute to Robbo.

Not sure if you can have hyphenated usernames these days, but back then (*coughs like an old man*) the Caf ran on different software.
The place must have switched to more hyphen-friendly software, seeing as it’s so full of mushrooms