Bruno Fernandes | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
The Glazers business model with us changed 2 years ago. The big spending on Transfers and wages effectively ended with the Alexis Sanchez signing. Since then we have spent barely anything on transfers in comparison to what we make, and have gutted the squad to the sorry pathetic state it is in now, all to save money on wages seemingly. If it was any other business you would look at it and say the decks are being cleared before the company went bust. Thankfully for the Glazers they will still get their dividends so they will stay owning the club, all while keeping costs down now.

How anyone can still talk about what we spent 3,4 and 5 years ago at this point is unreal.
What's this change of business model based on exactly? Where have you got this information from? No more vague statements we can't qualify. We've spent £140mil on transfers, and we wanted to spend more. If Dybala had wanted to join then we would've bought him. Whether we should have been targeting him or not is besides the point and ties in with what I was saying.

You don't spent more money on a single asset than any one of your competitors and call it cleaning that decks. Our net spent was about the same as City. Only Arsenal out of the big clubs spent more, and that's a one off. Liverpool turned a profit.

As usual, when the actual information is laid out in full and this myth is busted you don't want to know. You used Real and Barca as direct examples and I've shown where their long term spending sits, both over the past 4/5 years and beyond. It's just ridiculous.

For the bazillionth time, it isn't how much we spend, but how we spend it that's the problem. That's why Barca and Madrid are no where near the top spenders in the world but are always competing at the highest level. That's why Liverpool's net spent since 2015 can be lower than Bournemouth's yet during that time have, much to our chagrin, transformed into the best team in the world. The money we spend on transfers and wages should be more than enough for us to be competing.

OL29

It’s probably more to do with the shitty newspapers “sources” rather than wanting the deal to fall through.

The details of this deal change from one day to the next, so no wonder people are frustrated.
Yeah I get that but it seems a bit weird to post a few times a day that the whole thing is bullshit, especially when it has been reported by reputable sources. I don’t see what anyone gets out of that.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
No, we simply didn't - we sold Lukaku for 50% of that amount and did you not notice that we didn't complete the Maguire deal until the ink was dry on Lukaku's transfer? Funny that isn't it, considering that the fee was known for some time prior to us confirming the deal. If we didn't sell Lukaku, Maguire would 100% have not been signed, and our overall spend would again have been around £70m. The same as the summer before after Jose came 2nd.

Also, the rumours in the media all summer were that we had a maximum budget of £100m to spend despite being in dire need of a rebuild, remember. We didn't even hit that.
If this is true how do we account for the Dybala swap situation? If he had wanted to come here net spend would have finished up at or around £150m

I'm not arguing against the point that we don't spend enough money by the way. I think the club wanted to get the wage bill under better control and that has driven a lot of our decision in the last 12 months.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
He's playing tonight so there's clearly no progress whatsoever. Don't listen to these so called insider Journo experts. Most of them have no idea what's going on. It's pure guess work. Reason why Simon Stone is so highly respected is because he usually only comments when he's been briefed by the club.

Doesn't feel like it's going to happen again to me.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
With rashford out, we probably need another striker too. If martial gets injured we have no striker left basically. Greenwood plays RW for us now.
ye thats true, I think our priority should be a creative AM and a striker for short term this month, in the summer is when we will go for our first choice target for up front.

JoaquinJoaquin

What's this change of business model based on exactly? Where have you got this information from? No more vague statements we can't qualify. We've spent £140mil on transfers, and we wanted to spend more. If Dybala had wanted to join then we would've bought him. Whether we should have been targeting him or not is besides the point and ties in with what I was saying.

You don't spent more money on a single asset than any one of your competitors and call it cleaning that decks. Our net spent was about the same as City. Only Arsenal out of the big clubs spent more, and that's a one off. Liverpool turned a profit.

As usual, when the actual information is laid out in full and this myth is busted you don't want to know. You used Real and Barca as direct examples and I've shown where their long term spending sits, both over the past 4/5 years and beyond. It's just ridiculous.

For the bazillionth time, it isn't how much we spend, but how we spend it that's the problem. That's why Barca and Madrid are no where near the top spenders in the world but are always competing at the highest level. That's why Liverpool's net spent since 2015 can be lower than Bournemouth's yet during that time have, much to our chagrin, transformed into the best team in the world. The money we spend on transfers and wages should be more than enough for us to be competing.
You talk about facts but they in fact show that though. The last two years have showed the business model has changed. So if anyone is stating incorrect things it's yourself thinking that the level of spending 3-4 years ago is the same level as what are prepared to spend now, when the facts and numbers on paper show otherwise. Google net spend if you are unsure what it is.

Yes we have spent bad over the last 3-5 years but I'd argue since Sánchez our signings have been pretty good. So that would indicate that the buying has improved, hence it should be built upon.

You mention Dybala, no one even knows if that was definitely true. We can only go by what the press say, you haven't heard anything from Dybala or Juve to say that Dybala to us was a real option. If it was true the only reason he would of came was because it would of included ZERO transfer budget.

Jesus, some of you people are so naive it's ridiculous. That or you are Glazer apologists. I'll let you pick which one..

End of discussion.

Zen86

In hindsight, why did we ever think it was realistic for us to be able to sign one player in the space of a month, a player who wants to join us, playing for a club who wants to sell. Adjust your expectations for the future lads.

cyberman

You do realise what net spend is don't you?
But the argument was in terms of turnover etc. Money for transfers is the same as money from tv etc.
Arr we not supposed to sell flops? Where did the money come from to buy Lukaku in the first place? Thin air?

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting

Very informative and convincing

theklr

Net spend is irrelevant, this isn't RAWK. When brought 3 players for £150M, that's £150M of players in anybody's book. How we financed the spend is a completely separate matter.
It’s hardly irrelevant. If our net spend was £150M last summer, you could understand spending more than that could be more difficult than spending more than £70M.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It’s hardly irrelevant. If our net spend was £150M last summer, you could understand spending more than that could be more difficult than spending more than £70M.
I'm not sure about the poin that you are making, we spend 95% of our revenue on operating expenses, we don't actually have the means to spend 150m without selling.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
The point is, £150M of 'talent' (I use the term loosely) is £150M of talent, however it is financed. That is the only point I'm making.

As others have said, the amount we've spent over the last 6 years (ignore net spend, we have brought a fortune in playing assets, it's a fecking shitload of money), we shouldn't be stuck with this threadbare squad.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
You talk about facts but they in fact show that though. The last two years have showed the business model has changed. So if anyone is stating incorrect things it's yourself thinking that the level of spending 3-4 years ago is the same level as what are prepared to spend now, when the facts and numbers on paper show otherwise. Google net spend if you are unsure what it is.

Yes we have spent bad over the last 3-5 years but I'd argue since Sánchez our signings have been pretty good. So that would indicate that the buying has improved, hence it should be built upon.

You mention Dybala, no one even knows if that was definitely true. We can only go by what the press say, you haven't heard anything from Dybala or Juve to say that Dybala to us was a real option. If it was true the only reason he would of came was because it would of included ZERO transfer budget.

Jesus, some of you people are so naive it's ridiculous. That or you are Glazer apologists. I'll let you pick which one..

End of discussion.
So it's based on the grand sum of nothing then? Thought as much. It's just vague, unqualified statement after the next. You tried to go down the stat route I suppose, and that didn't end all too well.

'Google net spend.' :lol: Wow OK. Google 'Real Madrid' and 'Barcelona' if you are unsure who they are. You giving them as examples doesn't seem to marry up with reality.

'No one knows if that was definitely true.' The cheek of saying this after making up that we've changed our business model. There's compelling circumstantial evidence and quotes from reliable sources that qualify this claim.

A Glazer apologist now am I? So you've repeatedly read how I've criticized the way they've spent the clubs money and you spew this garbage? You're hopeless at this.

End indeed.

FerociousCorgis

i mean it seems only a shortsighted person would say net spend doesn't matter. Like yeah we spent 150 million last window but what if we had also sold pogba, ddg, and martial along with lukaku? You couldve added another 50 million signing and been like oh we spent 200 million....while ignoring we prob wouldve have a net spend of glazers banking 50 million or something.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I'm not sure about the poin that you are making, we spend 95% of our revenue on operating expenses, we don't actually have the means to spend 150m without selling.
then we should really ask ourselves were is our money going and on whom cause the squad is shit, same as anything associated to the club (fitness coaches, coaches, manager, Directors etc)

buckooo1978

on the one hand we are desperate

we obviously disnt plan this transfer for Fernandes or we would have bought him in Summer or had it tied up prior to 1st January- this is typical poorly planned stuff and Ole is laughable when he suggests we've been unlucky for injuries given how thin our squad was

on the other hand weve been quoted 25m more than Spurs were in the summer by accounts. If we are happy to pay 50% more than other teams how can we ever expect to not be taken for a ride by clubs in transfer negotiations

if we are looking to improve the long term running of the club one of the things we need to not get involved in is being taken for a ride in transfer situations - Sporting are motivated sellers - I'd sit tight at this point

another clusterfeck of a window though with zero work done since last Summer on additions by the looks of things

JPRouve

Scout
then we should really ask ourselves were is our money going and on whom cause the squad is shit, same as anything associated to the club (fitness coaches, coaches, manager, Directors etc)
We know where our money is going which is what some of us are repeating ad nauseum but some of you really struggle to follow. We have a massive wage bill and overpay on transfer fees every summer while also being relatively shit and missing on a lot of prize money.

theklr

That sounds strange, surely we didnt have a net profit of any significans in transfer windows for a long long time.

I am pretty sure we have a line of credit, or the opportunity to take up more loans to cover a sum like that.

Not to mention that the purchase fee is amortizised over the length of the contract.

I agree we probably dont have 150M sitting in a bank account somewhere though.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
i mean it seems only a shortsighted person would say net spend doesn't matter. Like yeah we spent 150 million last window but what if we had also sold pogba, ddg, and martial along with lukaku? You couldve added another 50 million signing and been like oh we spent 200 million....while ignoring we prob wouldve have a net spend of glazers banking 50 million or something.
You don't really understand how business works, do you?

If you buy a car for £20K and part exchange your old car for £5K. It's irrelevant to the value of your new car that your net spend is £15K. You're still driving a £20K car.

JPRouve

Scout
That sounds strange, surely we didnt have a net profit in transfer windows for a long long time.

I am pretty sure have a line of credit, or the opportunity to take up more loans to cover a sum like that.

Not to mention that the purchase fee is amortizised over the length of the contract.

I agree we probably dont have 150M sitting in a bank account somewhere though.
As I said earlier in this thread our actual spendings on intangible assets were 178m this summer and 155m last summer this includes installments among other things. In a way this answers your point about credits, we already pay wiith installments, credits means that while you may purchase something today, you lessen your ability to spend in the future, it doesn't make you wealthier. Amortization is irrelevant, it only describes how the asset is valued during the length of its useful life, it doesn't describe how you paid for it.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
We know where our money is going which is what some of us are repeating ad nauseum but some of you really struggle to follow. We have a massive wage bill and overpay on transfer fees every summer while also being relatively shit and missing on a lot of prize money.
Then why we keep giving huge long term contracts to shit players? Why was Ole allowed to spend 120m on two decent but far them WC players when surely they were cheaper options around? What is keeping the club from hiring people who knows their stuff around football?

JPRouve

Scout
Then why we keep giving huge long term contracts to shit players? Why was Ole allowed to spend 120m on two decent but far them WC players when surely they were cheaper options around? What is keeping the club from hiring people who knows their stuff around football?
Because we are bad at managing a football club, really bad at it.

joedirt87

In hindsight, why did we ever think it was realistic for us to be able to sign one player in the space of a month, a player who wants to join us, playing for a club who wants to sell. Adjust your expectations for the future lads.
i don't want to put much stock into this, but Sporting could be playing the angle that they held out as long as they could to get as much as they could before selling. Take Lo Celso for instance. Everyone seemed to know Tottenham were going to get it done all summer, yet the deal didn't go through until deadline day. I think Castles and some others may have talked about Betis just posturing to their fan base. It's harder to believe given that it's a Portuguese club and so much transfer nonsense comes from there, and our incompetence in the transfer market.

FerociousCorgis

If you buy a car for £20K and part exchange your old car for £5K. It's irrelevant to the value of your new car that your net spend is £15K. You're still driving a £20K car.
that literally has nothing to do with a sports club. If anything it would be like a family having a fleet of cars to take various people about their daily tasks/jobs and they buy a tesla for 40k... but they sold their camry for 20k their truck for 25k and they sold their SUV for 20k. Cool now you have a 40k vehicle but can't do half the shit you could before.

To say net spend on a collection of players who have to play together is irrelevant and then compare it to a singular item makes no sense to the point that is being made.

OverratedOpinion

Difference being that we also took £100m worth of players out of the squad. Lukaku would come in bloody handy right now.

No Love

Looks like he’s in the Starting XI for Sporting against Braga. Is this the night we get tears and waves? Let’s hope so.

Seb burrow

That is a very lazy response tbf, there isn't going to be a cheaper alternative.

That is what scouts are there for.

Leicester picked Maddison up for relatively cheap, Liverpool picked up Salah, Mane, Bobby quite cheap as well.

Obviously if you are going to go after the most obvious target, they wont come cheap.
Our scouts are awful.

nainaisson

Looks like he’s in the Starting XI for Sporting against Braga. Is this the night we get tears and waves? Let’s hope so.
Do we really want to sign someone who suffers from manic depression? We already know he has anger issues - do we need him crying uncontrollably too? I'd rather he just politely wave goodbye.

thomas porter

sad but funny...https://twitter.com/utd_mark/status/1216728047333847046?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1216728047333847046&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.90min.com%2Fposts%2F6541523-man-utd-finally-make-their-8-007th-breakthrough-in-talks-bruno-fernandes-daily

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
The thing is even if we were to get Bruno we still need a striker desperately too.
But Ed can't seem to try to negotiate for more than one player.
Multitasking is not his forte!! :D

No Love

Do we really want to sign someone who suffers from manic depression? We already know he has anger issues - do we need him crying uncontrollably too? I'd rather he just politely wave goodbye.
I need the tears, man. As soon as I see those sodden cheeks and red, misty eyes, I’ll know it’s FernandON!:drool:

Art Vandelay

The thing is even if we were to get Bruno we still need a striker desperately too.
But Ed can't seem to try to negotiate for more than one player.
Multitasking is not his forte!! :D
Apparently he's busy bidding £30m for a 16 year old so we will be getting neither Bruno nor a striker. I'm starting to consider this window closed for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.