Bruno Fernandes | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

zenith

I am anti Woodward as they come but I agree you on this. He has put great stats but in an inferior league there's no way to know how it will translate to the EPL. The valuation is way off. 60 million Euros (fees + addons) seems fair. I wouldn't do anything past that.
We have multiple players we need to sign. If we continue to overpay, teams will continue to demand excessive fees.
There are other options apart from Fernandes. It's still early on in the January window. If Sporting are being excessive test Aston Villa with that 60 million for Graelish, talk to Ajax and try to convince Donny Van de beek or look at Lille boubakary. We shouldn't massively over pay just like that without proper due diligence.
Then again, we wouldn't be in this position if proper planning was done. We should have started negotions for January transfers months ago. We are being reactionary and are looking to buy now because of the injuries.
Fully agree on this. There is no need for the management to go full Muppet on this. We cannot afford to overpay for players simply because we are seemingly desperate.

Bruno is a good player in a significantly inferior league and there is absolutely no guarantee that he'll succeed here. If we pay over the odds more, then we'll be stuck in the same situation as we are with several of our other players.

prateik

70m + Rojo .. and I'm guessing we'll cover part of Rojo's wages..

We got Rojo by giving them Nani and covering his wages too..

Which reminds me.. we sent Nani out on loan.

The club has been a shitshow for years now.. feck me.

All this bs has me convinced its all nonsense.. No one is paying 70m for Fernandes. The Portuguese media can make all the claims they want. this is a non starter at anywhere close to that amount.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
If......IF this is true, what a classic woodward move. You have a team begging to sell because they need cash, the price has allegedly come down 5-10 mill from the beginning of the year and because we can do a better installments deal, and what's woodward's response? "Yeah that's great and all but we have these players we like you to take instead of a full cash deal."

No midfielders available beyond Fred and we are allegedly trying to offload players in a deal that can be done because sporting want cash. I'm going to go out on a limb and say they aren't thrilled with having to potentially negotiate a player contract when they just want cash.
Also known as a classic Woodward move is to pay whatever a team asks for without negotiating.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads

All this bs has me convinced its all nonsense.. No one is paying 70m for Fernandes. The Portuguese media can make all the claims they want. this is a non starter at anywhere close to that amount.
This was such a poor deal.

Benfica_1904

Supports
Benfica
Bruno Fernandes is not worth that price tag at all, in fact this season he has been kinda meh. Sporting has a very very weak side, that's why he was always shining last season, playing for a weak team with no pressure. Everytime he has played on the Nation Team he was very underwhelming.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Wouldn’t complain at all if this ‘deal’ fell through. Doesn’t seem the right player. Desperation for signings often leads to a craving for anyone, whether it makes sense or not. Let’s sign a 19 year old striker to compete with our 18 year old striker as back up. Let’s sign a 10 to play in a 3 with Pogba.

Hopefully this is all smoke.
I’m inclined to agree generally, but I can also see the other side.

Simply put, we sorely lack creativity and goalscoring ability from anybody not named Martial, Rashford, and Greenwood. (Pogba obviously too but he’s off his balls in hospital). The front 3 above have scored 26 of our 36 goals this season, which is horribly unbalanced. Bruno’s last two - even three - seasons suggest he’s capable of adding serious numbers.

In an ideal world, we’d target a more balanced side and sign a dedicated holding midfielder so Pogba can push a little forward and Fred/McTominay can play as a box-to-box; or we’d sign a creative number 8 who dictates play deeper, but I don’t think that’s happening. Reliable and multiple sources imply that we’re after a no.10, which makes clear Ole wants to persist with a 4-2-3-1. In such a case, I’m much happier with Bruno than I am with Maddison, or most other potential options.

And if we are persisting with a 4-2-3-1, how much worse is playing Bruno Fernandes as the 10 with Pogba in a two than doing the same with Lingard/Pereira ahead?

ROFLUTION

Id much rather pay 70m + Rojo for Fernandes than try in vain to get Maddison for an estimated 90m gbp.

Bruno suits us more and is also better I think. We also need a playere here and now and Maddison is impossible. Getting Rojo out of the way would be nice too

Bestietom

Fully agree on this. There is no need for the management to go full Muppet on this. We cannot afford to overpay for players simply because we are seemingly desperate.

Bruno is a good player in a significantly inferior league and there is absolutely no guarantee that he'll succeed here. If we pay over the odds more, then we'll be stuck in the same situation as we are with several of our other players.
Most of the foreign players we bought were playing in inferior leagues. You have to take a risk on these players if you think they are good enough. This is mainly why we employ so much scouts.

Smores

You're always going to overpay in january and everyone is aware how desperate we are so those expecting a fair price are being a bit naive.

jackal&hyde

Along with Sancho he was my dream signing last summer. A very good creative and goal scoring mid with a great engine and desire to make a name for himself.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
If we’re here struggling to name a team with 2 fit midfielders in it while Ed is haggling over the price of an obvious improvement, it’ll be a bit annoying. All speculation of course, but he was available last summer for a decent fee. He could’ve been ours on New Year’s Day if we had our arse in gear.

Irrational.

If we’re here struggling to name a team with 2 fit midfielders in it while Ed is haggling over the price of an obvious improvement, it’ll be a bit annoying. All speculation of course, but he was available last summer for a decent fee. He could’ve been ours on New Year’s Day if we had our arse in gear.
It's absolutely baffling why we didn't go for him in the summer and suddenly made a U-turn now. If it was over £5-10 million then we're stupid.

The Urban Goose

I'm not convinced, given the time needed to settle into the premier league and doubts about his ability at international level (and that he looks very lightweight), will he really bring that much more to the team than Mata between Feb and May?

If we have a chance of someone better in the summer I'm leaning towards preferring to wait.

But then he might surprise and drive us to top four.

But then so could Pogba if his injuries are now sorted and he returns full time.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I'm not convinced, given the time needed to settle into the premier league and doubts about his ability at international level (and that he looks very lightweight), will he really bring that much more to the team than Mata between Feb and May?

If we have a chance of someone better in the summer I'm leaning towards preferring to wait.

But then so could Pogba if his injuries are now sorted and he returns full time.
Covered all basis! I like it. :lol:

gr3yham3

It's absolutely baffling why we didn't go for him in the summer and suddenly made a U-turn now. If it was over £5-10 million then we're stupid.
My guess is that Ole wanted to give Lingard and Andreas a fair crack of the whip and to stake their claim for the position, which they did not really do so. Bruno was also more expensive back then, but how he responded to the failed transfer has convinced Ole of his good character, which is something that Ole values a lot too.

No Love

KeanoMagicHat

He has 67 goals in 133 appearances for Sporting and he'd be replacing Lingard who hasn't scored in a year or Mata and Pereira who rarely score. Even given the lower level of the Portuguese league, he obviously has an eye for goal, which would add a lot to the midfield currently.

fps

Another point, signing a player in January to *save our season* is a huge ask of the player. Lo Celso looked good against Liverpool, dangerous, inventive, but it's taken a long time for him to start putting in performances and get up to speed. Whoever the player is, if they're from abroad or not, they have to uproot their lives,

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Considering that was Mata's first assists in AGES (against the worst team in the league) and Lingard hasn't scored or assisted all year, I'd say yeah he'd bring something different.

dove

He obviously is a good player. His numbers are great and he would be a massive improvement on what we got. We will obviously get absolutely fleeced and pay some ridiculous fee like we did with Maguire but well, we are useless in the transfer market so what else can we do :lol: Just get it done and recoup money from Pogba's sale.

Josep Dowling

Also known as a classic Woodward move is to pay whatever a team asks for without negotiating.
He obviously tries but every man and his dog knows we are desperate and have lots of cash. It makes life difficult. For me if we get quoted stupid prices we should walk away immediately rather than trying to negotiate. A club like Sporting know their best players will go to better clubs in Europe. £70m for Bruno is £20m too much.

Adamsk7

If we sign him, that’s four astute signings under Solskjaer IMO. Maguire, AWB and James have all improved us and they have the mentality we need too. Having watched Bruno a fair bit, he’s got all those ingredients too.

Also been very impressed with Mejbri in the reserves, think that will turn out to be quite a coup in a few yrs too.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Didn't Felix cost 120+m, coming from the same League, without proving any consistency yet?
Still staggered by that and people were lamenting us not going all in for him. Look at Mason’s numbers compared to his.

dev1l

Most probably he ll need time to settle down and get used to EPL..
He also looks a bit lightweight - which could be an issue in games like vs Burnley away when Mike Dean let them kick us all over the park.
Having said that, players like David Silva, Bernardo Silva and others were a bit lightweight too when they first came and it really didn't affect them.

enurs

So, this is his 3rd goal yesterday. Anyone want him now?
twitter.com/i/status/1216121810309255168

Dante

Average bang
Bruno Fernandes is not worth that price tag at all, in fact this season he has been kinda meh. Sporting has a very very weak side, that's why he was always shining last season, playing for a weak team with no pressure. Everytime he has played on the Nation Team he was very underwhelming.
Thanks for bringing a bit of balance.

Status
Not open for further replies.