Bruno Fernandes | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

C'est Moi Cantona

Well done for missing the point. The price is absolutely fair. If any other club was in this position it would have been paid a long time ago.
You back someone and you get that back.. The price clearly isn't fair, Bruno has been available for ages now, with no takers, that's because he is overpriced, and a risk.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
You back someone and you get that back.. The price clearly isn't fair, Bruno has been available for ages now, with no takers, that's because he is overpriced, and a risk.
We paid £80m for Maguire. We’re in no position to talk about fair prices for players. It’s like some of you refuse to see reality. At least some of us get it.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Name me all these better players in Europe with his numbers/performances.
It’s a pointless argument until he’s moved somewhere and we can judge him outside of that league and that team. We know what he’s achieved there, the question is if he can transfer enough of that productivity to a new club, I don’t think he will transfer enough to justify the money Sporting are trying to get out of us and people here are desperate for us to pay.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Then you have absolutely no right to moan about our recruitment if you think it’s just a case of signing anyone. We’ve made mistakes and been ripped off in the past. Bruno has clearly never been a priority and we are not going to pay anything other than what we deem to be good value.

I’ve criticised Woodward and the board in the past for rushing into signings like this out of desperation so why wouldn’t I try to be objective and recognise it when it’s happening again and commend them for not making the same mistake?

Apologies if that doesn’t fit the current narrative but it’s my take.
The problem is that you are trying to be rational while many are trying to either be emotional or build themselves up for a good moan. Personally I don't know enough about Bruno Fernandes to have a strong opinion but I do think that we need several upgrades and my question is why Bruno Fernandes seems to be the only target in his role? Can't we find someone in Europe that is maybe not starting for a good team or that has buyout clause(basically a La Liga player) or even a young promising player that may fail but is currently cheap? Every transfer window I question the point of our scouting team.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
We paid £80m for Maguire. We’re in no position to talk about fair prices for players. It’s like some of you refuse to see reality. At least some of us get it.
Right and the same people morning about Maguire are the people that are desperate for us to do it all over again.

BluesJr

It’s a pointless argument until he’s moved somewhere and we can judge him outside of that league and that team. We know what he’s achieved there, the question is if he can transfer enough of that productivity to a new club, I don’t think he will transfer enough to justify the money Sporting are trying to get out of us and people here are desperate for us to pay.
How did you feel about paying £50m for Fred? Have you been happy with his performances this season?

Joseunited

A free scoring, assist making machine from midfield and we're calling him a risk?

pat dunne

Why? This is a £40m transfer. £50m at the absolute most.

Sporting are absolutely ripping the piss and you’ll notice nobody else is rushing to buy the player at the price quoted. There’s just no interest because they’re asking insane money.
because we pay insane money for carthorses like maguire who would blame them

C'est Moi Cantona

I get it, I honestly do, I have been beating the drum of us been in no place to play the moral high ground with this one, but the price is inflated no doubt at all.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
How did you feel about paying £50m for Fred? Have you been happy with his performances this season?
I thought you wanted an instant upgrade on what we have? Isn’t that why you want to over pay?

My precise point is that if we are overpaying for someone then we should see the value of it straight away, not have someone else come in and stink out the place for 6-12 months while they get used to the league.

If we are taking a punt then it has to represent value.

If we are just strengthening our squad then it should be for a squad price.

If we are going to be forced to pay top dollar then it should be for someone that deserves that sort of fee otherwise we are just perpetually adding bloat and averageness to our squad.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Name me all these better players in Europe with his numbers/performances.
He looks good (though level of Portuguese league will give some people some doubts about his stats) but maybe United have just set a limit and this time they're sticking to it.

they didn't for Maguire and he now looks dear but as an England international with WC and PL experience, United thought it was worth it at the time. So maybe they've thought they're not going to get caught twice

Personally if it's just (sic) £10m, it's not my money so I hope the club pay it, even if it has a slight impact on future transfers. He looks decent (caveat. YouTube videos) and right now, we're crying out for that link from midfield to the forwards in both speed of transition and quality of pass. Fernandes looks like he could have both.

SER19

Anybody calling him a risk after watching our second half last night needs their head checked

MIC_FIN

Supports
United Away Games
The problem is that we are a club that is desperate for quality and we have money and we approach transfers like a shotgun scatter blast. Throw out a bunch of names and try to land one. The only way to stop the cycle is to recruit correctly and be decisive, be a sniper riffle 1 shot = 1 kill. If Ole and our scouts believe that a particular player is "the right player". then we need to pay whatever it takes to get that player right then and there. Not haggle until he goes elsewhere and then we are stuck overpaying for our 2nd and 3rd options, and paying a salary they aren't worth - right now we have a bunch of 2nd and 3rd options on 1st choice money. When you have a team full of the right players you are no longer a "desperate club" that has to pay over the odds. The right players means success and successful clubs arent desperate
Think this belongs in guns magazine weekly.

SER19

Finishing the season with Pereira and Lingard isn't so much a risk as garanteed failure.
Exactly. There is no risk. There's not a bloody risk if we sign delofeu, there's hardly even a risk if we sign Carlos blobby tevez and pay him to golf for 6 months. Our current options are bloody terrible and have proven it.

Teja

And we haven't been able to sign much needed CM / ST reinforcements because of that. Unlike the oil clubs, we have to live within our means.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Agree, but given our plight just now what do you suggest we do moving forward?
Make it a rule to not overpay, which in this context means to not pay over the fee that we set for ourselves. And be better at scouting, people mention Campos and Rangnick but they seem to not realize that these two have for philosophy to target relatively cheap players that can become valuable assets through coaching, they base a lot of their strategy on adding a large quantity of players with upside. Someone mentioned it on the caf in the last 12 months we followed a strategy that involves a lower amount of transfers and after reading people complain about our net spend I looked at what it looked compared to other PL teams and if I'm not mistaken this summer we were the team with the highest average fee per player, our strategy is boneheaded it's a high risk low reward strategy.

BluesJr

And we haven't been able to sign much needed CM / ST reinforcements because of that. Unlike the oil clubs, we have to live within our means.
We have unlimited means. We just don’t use it.

cyberman

In the Portuguese league, he's a huge risk, but we are where we are, we should pay up.
Balls. For a 5 month quick fix on someone we will want to upgrade on in a few windows?
Lots of fans wanted us to just pay the 90m on Maguire as well. Look how well thats playing out.
Not only would we be burning 50m on Bruno but well sell him at a loss and put pressure on the next big money transfer to succeed

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I wonder if Ole's precarious situation is preventing this transfer from going ahead.

If he's on the verge of being sacked, which could very well be the case, wouldn't the club be reluctant to finalize all potential transfers currently in the works until 'the deed' was done?

pacifictheme

I wonder how much Ole's precarious situation is preventing this transfer from going ahead.

If he's on the verge of being sacked, which could very well be the case, wouldn't the club be reluctant to finalize all potential transfers currently in the works until 'the deed' was done?
Well if we're to believe the club there is a committee deciding transfers. If he is the right player then we should be getting him regardless, based on that system.

Razwy

So persisting in playing with a no.10 with Andreas, Lingard, 2 non-footballers and a 70 year-old Mata is no risk and getting a proven goal scorer, for a reasonable price , considering how desperate we are and the amounts we've spent in the summer for 2 Brexit passport defenders, is not? Some of our fans are hopeless...we deserve the s**t we're getting from the Glazers, we really do...And all of this for what? For saving 5 millions, when getting top 4 would get us 50...Business men, my a**e...

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Well if we're to believe the club there is a committee deciding transfers. If he is the right player then we should be getting him regardless, based on that system.
We have an official transfer committee?

All this time I thought it was a round-faced, slightly balding, commercial banker making all the bad decisions.

Well, consider me learned.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
What baffles me is who they think should be CEO? Woodward got dealt a bad hand being advised to employ Moyes and has been scrambling to get out of that bad decision ever since. I think he's levelled out recently and it's actually seen postive change. The academy appointment of Butt for example and our youth development has felt like it's really improved. I think a DOF is a nice idea, but we need to be In a far more stable position to have one.
What is it? His little blue eyes? His in-depth knowledge of football? What’s Woodys greatest charm?

goatmeister

Supports
PSKI
That's not entirely accurate, is it? You should "pay up" when quality is on offer. £80m for Maguire is not applicable here; you would have to be mad to think that. Now £80m for Koulibaly then we're talking. Same here for Bruno. Yes price is steep but that's what a midfielder of his profile and numbers cost nowadays.

I'm not saying just give whatever Sporting is asking but cut it out with monkeying about by using makeweights and stuffs. They are motivated to sell and Bruno is their only crown jewel. They know it and everyone knows it.

*edit: quote wrong post

DamoK

I think it's a risk worth taking he can't be any worse than Periera, Lingard or Mata. So he is an instant upgrade on our midfield options. He can take set pieces, We don't have a set price taker! For me this signing is a no brainer. I'd rather spend the money on Fernandes than the massive fees with have to pay for Grealish or Maddison. Maguire cost us 80m imagine what they will cost us

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
I wonder if Ole's precarious situation is preventing this transfer from going ahead.

hence the need of a DOF. regardless of managers position, things would still get done in the same vision.

Tel074

Totally agree . Since these Muppets took over United we have constantly overpaid for players so everyone will demand more . Plus a blind man could see we are in dire need of quality players in the squad

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I genuinely don't understand why we're being so hesitant? I really don't.

He's got everything you'd want from an attacking midfielder, he's got a fantastic mentality and work rate. This should be a slam dunk? wtf is going on.

I can only put it down to Woodward being tight as feck and not budging from his original 50m deal. Ole is going to have to beg and borrow at this rate.

Godfather

Right and the same people morning about Maguire are the people that are desperate for us to do it all over again.
Well there's a difference in spending it on a big immobile lump or a proper footballer like Bruno.

Old Ma Crow

If Ole’s for the chop why can’t the board do what they usually do and collude with the next manager behind the current one’s back about transfers? Then just text him that he’s fired or leak it to the press.

Razwy

I genuinely don't understand why we're being so hesitant? I really don't.

He's got everything you'd want from an attacking midfielder, he's got a fantastic mentality and work rate. This should be a slam dunk? wtf is going on.

I can only put it down to Woodward being tight as feck and not budging from his original 50m deal. Ole is going to have to beg and borrow at this rate.
I think we have no money, that's why we 're hearing all these add on's talk...

Status
Not open for further replies.