Bruno Fernandes | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
After we beat Liverpool this teatime I'd fax Sporting £49m +£9m in add-ons, take it or leave it offer, and give them 24hrs, if they chose to leave it we should move on to Emiliano Buendía(Norwich City), offer then circa £25m + Phil Jones and either Gomes or Chong on loan for the remainder of the season and that should do the trick, then spend the rest of the window trying to sign a defensive midfielder that we desperately need, even if he's from the bargain-bucket.
Selling Phil Jones would bankrupt the club when we pay out all the Dr’s and physios that become redundant after he leaves.

Ralph1386

We use the whole summer window to negotiate with Leicetster to finally agree great deal of 80m (great deal to Leicester). So I won't be surprise we use the whole winter window to negotiate and to finally agreed the original asking price from Sporting.
Agree and is similar to what I posted earlier in this thread, yet some people are actually celebrating the fact that we “successfully negotiated” 80M while we could have gotten the player for way less than that the year before.

If we miss out on CL again and lose sponsorship money again, I wonder how much these people can celebrate dragging every single transfer to the wire only to pay a fee closer to what the selling club wants.

Thiagoal

After we beat Liverpool this teatime I'd fax Sporting £49m +£9m in add-ons, take it or leave it offer, and give them 24hrs, if they chose to leave it we should move on to Emiliano Buendía(Norwich City), offer then circa £25m + Phil Jones and either Gomes or Chong on loan for the remainder of the season and that should do the trick, then spend the rest of the window trying to sign a defensive midfielder that we desperately need, even if he's from the bargain-bucket.
Yeah! Because we need a bargain bucket midfielder that’s not anywhere near our standard and will be dead wood by the summer...

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Agree and is similar to what I posted earlier in this thread, yet some people are actually celebrating the fact that we “successfully negotiated” 80M while we could have gotten the player for way less than that the year before.

If we miss out on CL again and lose sponsorship money again, I wonder how much these people can celebrate dragging every single transfer to the wire only to pay a fee closer to what the selling club wants.
That's generally what happens when selling club don't want/need to sell their player, with Bruno, Sporting want/need to sell, so they should come towards our valuation, not the other way around.

Bondi77

Again, “potential pressure” isn’t a remotely good reason to abandon a transfer that our scouts and/or manager have presumably already identified as someone we need!

People seem to love using the time we afforded Fergie as a reason why we should blindly stick with Ole and his vision for the future - bolstered by how well most of his summer signings have succeeded so far... and yet not only is this potential transfer (presumably sanctioned by Ole, or at the very least the same people that closed those earlier deals) considered not worth spending slightly over budget for... but the idea that over paying for a player we probably need, is some kind of ideological betrayal... despite our Lord and saviour Fergie (PBUH) regularly over-paying and breaking numerous transfer records for occasional shite, in the pursuit of the occasional gem...is such utter brainwashed nonsense.

If Fergie wanted him, we would’ve just fecking signed him. If Ole wants Bruno, no one should be making any excuses why we can’t buy Bruno...Especially if you want him to succeed!
I am trying to think of the. Players that Fergie over paid for who were shite.
Veron did not work out but we managed to get good coin of Chelsea for him.
Once the purse strings were tightened is when the shite came in with the likes of Obertan,Bebé ,Manuchu, Dioff and possibly a few others.
There is no way in the world that Fergie would have looked at Hazard and Kagawa and preferred Kagawa unless it was a budget thing and then there was Moura whom Fergie said was not worth the money he was sold for.
Every player has a price and north of 50mil is too much for a player whose stats are achieved in a weak league, Mkhitaryan had great stats and looked like a better player than Bruno and what is he doing these days?

Ralph1386

That's generally what happens when selling club don't want/need to sell their player, with Bruno, Sporting want/need to sell, so they should come towards our valuation, not the other way around.
I see your point but on the other hand they can still say that it’s the middle of the season and he’s their best player. Let’s see. I guess we will find out how desperate they are to sell soon. At the end of the day, we as fans want to see our squad being improved.

AneRu

First of all its 68m. 80m are in euros not pounds. We spent 50m for a full back from Palace who can't attack and 80m for a CB from Leicester who is a slight upgrade on Smalling. Putting that into contest (+ some other fees like Haller for 45m, 72m for Pepe and 62m for Mahrez) then the transfer isn't that outrageous especially considering that we're buying in January which is a seller's market. The 40m + bonuses we're offering is laughable especially the rumours surrounding the clauses. There's more of a chance of me jumping in the white house, take down all the body guards there, kick Trump in the balls then do the same at Putin and the same at Kim Jong Un then this happening.

Secondly we shouldn't be here. Herrera shouldn't have been allowed to leave and the CM's issue should have been sorted during the summer. Yet there are still people defending the club, that despite our net spend is ridiculous, our stadium is leaking water, our team is losing players, our CEO keeps lamenting about how tough it is for him to buy more then 3 players per window and that the squad is getting thinner with every transfer window. We had 3 managers, a former player and an agent saying the same thing. United only care about money. Yet you still find people buying into Woodward's lies
Agreed, it's just excuses and look how they are briefing that the price hike will affect moves for Maddison and Sancho like those two will come here without CL football. The reason he is more expensive now is that we sat on our behinds and didn't pursue the signing last summer so he signed a new contract and that changes things whilst Sporting have seen us eventually caving in and paying the demanded fees for AWB and Maguire.

Maybe Bruno isn't as silky as Silva or as good as KDB but where are the alternatives? Are we supposed to believe that this club, under Woodward and Judge, will pay the £100m+ that would be required to buy Maddison? Reminds me of the 2012 summer where we bulked at the £6m agent fees demanded for us to sign Hazard, look how how smart and vindicated we looked when he was kicking it at Chelsea, helping them to two titles and eventually earning them a £100m+ transfer fee.

A football judgement has to be made on whether he would be good enough to play for the team and be a solution on the pitch and we have to remember that players are unique in their skills and effectiveness. If the manager and the scouts feel he is good enough to be our number ten even if it's just the transitional number ten that takes us from 6th to an established top 4 team then look to build from there.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Seems like a very expensive game of chicken. Who will cave first?
No one. We'll be stuck in the preparing a bid process till there's no time left and this saga will continue in the next transfer window. Along with Gaitan.

AneRu

Once the purse strings were tightened is when the shite came in with the likes of Obertan,Bebé ,Manuchu, Dioff and possibly a few others.
There is no way in the world that Fergie would have looked at Hazard and Kagawa and preferred Kagawa unless it was a budget thing and then there was Moura whom Fergie said was not worth the money he was sold for.
Every player has a price and north of 50mil is too much for a player whose stats are achieved in a weak league, Mkhitaryan had great stats and looked like a better player than Bruno and what is he doing these days?
And this is why the Glazer regime is generally failing and has put all the might that we gained under Fergie at risk. The Kagawa/Hazard choice is particularly interesting, yes we saved money then but look at Hazard's impact in this league, the football achievements and commercial success we missed out on not to mention the successive flops we have signed looking for a player to give us the impact he could have provided us.

In football, whilst there is no sure thing, the budgetary limits don't apply to certain players especially if you hope to also use them commercially. The trick is in getting the right people to make that sort of judgement and with Fergie we had the best so the Glazers limiting what he could do on the football side has arguably cost us more in wasted transfer fees and lost commercial opportunities.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I think it's best to re-visit this thread like 11.50pm of the 31st January 2020. Otherwise it's just some 87 pages of rumours and moaning.

The reason he is more expensive now is that we sat on our behinds and didn't pursue the signing last summer so he signed a new contract and that changes things
Well actually it changed absolutely NOTHING but his wage. Not the terms nor the contract length.

”It appears a wage increase may be the only change made to Fernandes' terms, however. His contract is still due to expire in 2023 and has a release clause worth €100 million (£85.4 million), identical to the five-year deal he signed in July 2018.”

Sporting have seen us eventually caving in and paying the demanded fees for AWB and Maguire.
Lies! And you know it @AneRu as does everyone in here who keeps posting this shite.

Leicester originally wanted 90m for Maguire. Widely reported but here’s a good source.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...ter-united-harry-maguire-will-cost-least/amp/

Palace wanted 50m up front for AWB and the removal of United’s 25% Zaha sell on. We negotiated them to 45m up front and the sell on remained in place.

Kostov

I imagine because we had no intention on signing him this window until Pogba had yet another setback and Mctomminay being out.

If Pogba was back playing now like most of us thought he would be by now then I doubt Bruno would even be in the works.
It was obvious in the summer as it is even more at the moment that we need midfielders, a CDM and a CAM. If what you say is the truth, it shows how appalling our planning is.

Why are people getting salty over this tweet? We briefed we were not interested due to him giving the ball away too much and annoyance the Portuguese press use our name to drum up interest in their players.

6 months later we are crawling back for the player. Club is a shambles
Because it bollocks that we’d brief anyone that weren’t interested in player. And it was City that briefed that.

Plus, plebs an attention seeking pleb, desperate to make up shit and use the Woodward hate to get himself likes.

Bondi77

And this is why the Glazer regime is generally failing and has put all the might that we gained under Fergie at risk. The Kagawa/Hazard choice is particularly interesting, yes we saved money then but look at Hazard's impact in this league, the football achievements and commercial success we missed out on not to mention the successive flops we have signed looking for a player to give us the impact he could have provided us.

In football, whilst there is no sure thing, the budgetary limits don't apply to certain players especially if you hope to also use them commercially. The trick is in getting the right people to make that sort of judgement and with Fergie we had the best so the Glazers limiting what he could do on the football side has arguably cost us more in wasted transfer fees and lost commercial opportunities.
I agree,
Fergie was so good he could pull so much more out of a player to benefit the team as a whole and that is why we continued to have success under his leadership.
There is no disputing that once Fergie left that the club then spent a fortune and that was put in the hands of LVG and Jose to take the club back to the top and they were so wasteful in their selection it is no surprise to go back to youth products and being cautious in the transfer market.

buchansleftleg

What I'm angry about is the sheer lack of succession planning going on at the club.

Once we knew Herrera was not snapping up an improved contract we should have got his replacement in straight away.

If a club is surprised you are coming for their player and you already seem to have that position covered their bargaining position is different to what it is if you rock up with the position vacant and with a threadbare squad.

We bought Evra while we had Heinze in position and got a bargain. This should be management 101 but we consistently misunderstand our bargaining position and end up getting skinned by other clubs.

We are being run by people I wouldn't trust to run a village fete.

AneRu

I agree,
Fergie was so good he could pull so much more out of a player to benefit the team as a whole and that is why we continued to have success under his leadership.
There is no disputing that once Fergie left that the club then spent a fortune and that was put in the hands of LVG and Jose to take the club back to the top and they were so wasteful in their selection it is no surprise to go back to youth products and being cautious in the transfer market.
But the thing is do you trust your manager and scouts' judgement? Because that's all we have to go on and the fact that we are even negotiating for Bruno suggests that the football people think he is good enough and the fact that we have resisted bringing in a DOF suggests that Woodward trusts the football people he has in place so he has to back then when they say they need this player.

Poor signings have happened and will continue to happen to everyone in football, no one has a spotless record in the market but the pay off is huge in this money driven game. So you continue spending on players and when you get the right ones in they will balance the scales.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
What I'm angry about is the sheer lack of succession planning going on at the club.

Once we knew Herrera was not snapping up an improved contract we should have got his replacement in straight away.

If a club is surprised you are coming for their player and you already seem to have that position covered their bargaining position is different to what it is if you rock up with the position vacant and with a threadbare squad.

We bought Evra while we had Heinze in position and got a bargain. This should be management 101 but we consistently misunderstand our bargaining position and end up getting skinned by other clubs.

You can go back and ask where was the succession planning when Ferguson and Gill left. At the same time. It must have been known that it was on the cards as Ferguson was only getting older but there was nobody groomed to replace him.

AneRu

To be fair I think Fred was supposed to be the improvement and replacement for Herrera, it just hasn't worked out that way. When Fred came in we had Pogba and Matic as undisputed starters so logic would suggest that he came in to replace Herrera who had one year on left on his deal and to who we reportedly made an offer just a few months before his deal expired.

SER19

Can't help shake the feeling that we don't really really want him. If that's the case we should just not sign and try stick to whatever vision is supposed to be in place. (and go for priority players in summer) Years of jumbled thinking has left us dreading a trip to Liverpool.

Drainy

Why are people getting salty over this tweet? We briefed we were not interested due to him giving the ball away too much and annoyance the Portuguese press use our name to drum up interest in their players.

Thought he was going to Spurs so did the old 'didn't want you anyway' routine..

AFC NimbleThumb

This./

The club is incompetent at all management levels; a critique of this nature whilst coming from an idiot is actually ‘the truth’.

The idiots that believed the empty rhetoric OgS spouts really have been shown to be muppets.

It’s January 19th & there’s still ‘no one available at the right price’ :lol:

AneRu

Can't help shake the feeling that we don't really really want him. If that's the case we should just not sign and try stick to whatever vision is supposed to be in place. (and go for priority players in summer) Years of jumbled thinking has left us dreading a trip to Liverpool.
The problem is we will spend the summer chasing a couple of unattainable targets then get briefs about how Leicester and Dortmund were demanding outrageous fees for their players. If he can improve us we have to bring him in because it will lessen what we need to do in the summer and he wouldn't need to settle for next season.

thepolice123

This place will turn on him faster than it did with Maguire and Pogba if we pay 80m for him. And the scary thing is they are easily better players than Fernandes.

fps

In football as most things you should buy once and buy right. I am not convinced buying Fernandes is buying right. Sporting know that we are desperate for someone who can play in midfield to a decent standard. On it goes.

Ranchero

João Félix, same league, worse stats, £113m to Atletico Madrid. That is £45m more than Fernandes. That's the market

AFC NimbleThumb

The problem is we will spend the summer chasing a couple of unattainable targets then get briefs about how Leicester and Dortmund were demanding outrageous fees for their players. If he can improve us we have to bring him in because it will lessen what we need to do in the summer and he wouldn't need to settle for next season.
Exactly.

We’ll spend the summer chasing Maddison & Sancho, then claim there are no other players in world football that can improve us. All the whole Periera will get game after game for us.

The fact people still defend OgS [& in turn the whole regime] is beyond me. We litterally get to the day of the transfer window opening, start negotiations for unrealistic targets then OgS fronts some nonsense about not being able to get the players he wants.

Ranchero

This./

The club is incompetent at all management levels; a critique of this nature whilst coming from an idiot is actually ‘the truth’.

The idiots that believed the empty rhetoric OgS spouts really have been shown to be muppets.

It’s January 19th & there’s still ‘no one available at the right price’ :lol:
While everyone else it seems manages.
Incompetence

Hulksmash

50million for him or bye. Stop overpaying for mediocrity players there's a reason why no top club wants him besides us.

Ranchero

Ah, earlier than normal - the transfer window hasn't ended yet - the director of football stories are being trotted out again.
Usually this happens when we have failed again in the transfer market.

Bondi77

But the thing is do you trust your manager and scouts' judgement? Because that's all we have to go on and the fact that we are even negotiating for Bruno suggests that the football people think he is good enough and the fact that we have resisted bringing in a DOF suggests that Woodward trusts the football people he has in place so he has to back then when they say they need this player.

Poor signings have happened and will continue to happen to everyone in football, no one has a spotless record in the market but the pay off is huge in this money driven game. So you continue spending on players and when you get the right ones in they will balance the scales.
Ok,
What would be your expectations of a creative midfield player that we would pay 68mil for that we would call a successful signing,
Please do not say that it will be someone who is better than Lingard,Andreas or Mata as we can do that for a lot less.

M16Red

This place will turn on him faster than it did with Maguire and Pogba if we pay 80m for him. And the scary thing is they are easily better players than Fernandes.
Yep even in the EPL. I watched the game on Friday and he's was on the floor a lot. He would take time to adjust.

And at that price, I'm sure if we offered what we're offering to Villa for Grealish I think they'd be tempted

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I would say it is 75-25 we don't.
Maybe. I reckon it’s more like 60-40 we do. I may be wrong I just think it’s a lot of posturing before both sides are able to say they got what they wanted out of the deal.

However, if the the deal goes north of £60 million in value, United are absolutely right to walk away. He looks a very good player but we should be prepared to sign at ALL costs? I’m not sure about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.