Bruno Fernandes | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I agree. We're likely to meet in the middle or near abouts. $65M or something. Usually one party is being more unreasonable than the other and will move after a bit of posturing.
We use the whole summer window to negotiate with Leicetster to finally agree great deal of 80m (great deal to Leicester). So I won't be surprise we use the whole winter window to negotiate and to finally agreed the original asking price from Sporting.

Artorias

I agree with you on both fronts. He is the cause of a lot of our footballing issues, but that doesn’t mean everything he does is wrong.

If it’s inflated price he is negotiating against, I also think it’s the correct thing to do, even if that means we miss out on him. Especially as it seems Lisbon have reneged on an agreed price.
Agree. If Sporting can't respect an agreement, then we should buy another player. I'm with Woddy in this one.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I thought we tried that under LVG and Jose spending a fortune on players and bringing in two managers whom had conquered all in club football.
I think the one of the reasons why it did not work was that we paid a lot of money for the wrong players so I can understand why we try and get the right players at the right price.
Looking at it from the players point of view; If we spend big on a player and he does not hit the ground running the fans will be on his back in no time at all, a decent price gives him a bit more time to find his feet in England.
Again, “potential pressure” isn’t a remotely good reason to abandon a transfer that our scouts and/or manager have presumably already identified as someone we need!

People seem to love using the time we afforded Fergie as a reason why we should blindly stick with Ole and his vision for the future - bolstered by how well most of his summer signings have succeeded so far... and yet not only is this potential transfer (presumably sanctioned by Ole, or at the very least the same people that closed those earlier deals) considered not worth spending slightly over budget for... but the idea that over paying for a player we probably need, is some kind of ideological betrayal... despite our Lord and saviour Fergie (PBUH) regularly over-paying and breaking numerous transfer records for occasional shite, in the pursuit of the occasional gem...is such utter brainwashed nonsense.

If Fergie wanted him, we would’ve just fecking signed him. If Ole wants Bruno, no one should be making any excuses why we can’t buy Bruno...Especially if you want him to succeed!

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
The problem Utd have is they set a precedent for overpaying by spending £80m on Maguire last summer. Sporting obviously saw us do that and have decided to teach us a lesson.

Our only hope of this happening is him doing something drastic like threatening to go on strike until he gets his move,however despite reports of him being angry with the president I don't think he has it in him to do that.
this story that Sporting doubled the asking price feels like classic Ed shenanigans

I expect a deal will be made on the final day because all three parties want a deal.
The reason Sporting are asking more now than the summer and the price has gone up is because he signed a new contract in November. They’re in a stronger position. You could argue that United should have planned this earlier and spoken to Sporting before that happened, but this is clearly a buy to make up for the loss of two of your best midfielders to injury, so there wasn’t so much time to plan it.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
I watched the whole game yesterday generally focusing on Bruno.

He hardly played as a midfielder. Seemed to be very indisciplined, or was he asked to play a free role? During the game, he was occasionally ahead of the striker, on the right-wing a lot, rarely in the centre, and even defending in his own penalty area.

@SportingCP96 if you can kindly give us some insight if this was a one-off or his general style of play?
He usually tracks back a lot but in Sporting he has a “free role” because everything runs through him. If you Saw the game you saw how absolute shit we are and he has to do literally everything. Generally though, he plays at the 10 position but always tracks back hence the impression of 8. His high high work rates are a standout in him as a player.

gr3yham3

He usually tracks back a lot but in Sporting he has a “free role” because everything runs through him. If you Saw the game you saw how absolute shit we are and he has to do literally everything. Generally though, he plays at the 10 position but always tracks back hence the impression of 8. His high high work rates are a standout in him as a player.
What are your thoughts of the current transfer shenanigans? Sporting President acting as per usual and trying to pull a fast one? Or our board's poor transfer dealings? You think the deal will go through?

ravi2

We use the whole summer window to negotiate with Leicetster to finally agree great deal of 80m (great deal to Leicester). So I won't be surprise we use the whole winter window to negotiate and to finally agreed the original asking price from Sporting.
aka the Woodward & Judge special.

sosolid4u09

What situation? We’re one of the richest and most famous clubs in world football, and everyone knows we’re at one of our lowest ebs.... we have very little bargaining power right now. To get back to competing we’re gonna need to pay over the odds... Either to entice big players wanted elsewhere to come to a work in progress (with a novice manager) or to compromise with clubs like Sporting who know they have an asset, and that we’re in dire need of his services!

Also, we aren’t fecking West Ham FFS! We don’t have a tight budget limit in the usual sense..., and if we do, we definitely shouldn’t be complaining about what they’re asking, but rather why the owners of the 3rd most profitable club in the world are refusing to invest in our paper thin squad!
Missing the point completely. We tried this over paying shit with lvg and mourinho and it got us nowhere. So what if we have so much money. Some players are worth overpaying for, bruno isn't.

I have more of an issue with the lack if targets, and everyone knows it. What exactly has the transfer team been doing this whole time where bruno is the only midfielder we can buy? Maybe if we had several targets and stopped going all in on single transfers, clubs would think twice before ripping us off.

If a world class proven player is on the market, you do what you have to in order to sign him. If not, we should not be overpaying massively. Bruno at 70m is a non starter for me

beingshe7don

aka the Woodward & Judge special.
With a last name like Judge, you would expect some good decisions being made. Yet he keeps slowing down our transfers. The charm, appeal and the excitement is all lost of the transfer. The Maguire, Wan Bassaka deals were drawn out so long that towards the end, it was like... oh well... good to see them join the club. Also, we've got such a poor track record of everything.... right from hiring managers, to buying the right players, to waiting till the very last minute to extend contracts, to giving substandard players extended contracts... It's a huge mess. I was initially excited to see Bruno join us but once again they've managed to suck all the excitement from this deal. Doesn't matter if this deal happens or not at the moment.

The Don

Metrosexual Candy Shagger
Dayman, ahhhahhhahh, fighter of the nightman
Need a Pilib translator.
Last summer, United briefed media outlets that we were never in for Bruno Fernandes.
He was available for 45m eur, at that time.
Now we are interested in him and will have to pay a much larger sum to get him.

It's fairly standard English. If you need an interpreter for that, might I suggest an English language tutor?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
The problem is, as proven by the green and gold campaign, organised protests have little to no effect. The only way we will ever be rid of our current owners is if/when they get brought out.
that wasn't really organised and mean + most fans (me included) did wanted to give the Glazers the benefit of the doubt. What I am talking here is going full destructive here (in a legal way of course). That means constant boos and chants during games, banners against the Glazers and the sponsors, massive walk outs, boycotting the mega store, refusing to pay for season tickets, protests prior every game....that's sort of thing. Do you think that sponsors would like being associated to a club like that? Of course not.

Once the money dry then the Glazers will walk

Tarrou

Which part, the facts, or something else?
The idea that we would brief that a player isn't good enough for us. We get linked with dozens of average players every window and there is no advantage to be gained in briefing about players you don't want.

The fact its clearly horse-shit has now been proved beyond any doubt whatsoever because we're trying to sign him.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
that wasn't really organised and mean + most fans (me included) did wanted to give the Glazers the benefit of the doubt. What I am talking here is going full destructive here (in a legal way of course). That means constant boos and chants during games, banners against the Glazers and the sponsors, massive walk outs, boycotting the mega store, refusing to pay for season tickets, protests prior every game....that's sort of thing. Do you think that sponsors would like being associated to a club like that? Of course not.

I like this, the GG compain didn't seem that hardcore for me tbh.

devilish

So you think we should pay 80 mil for Bruno? I don't like the owners any more than you do but then not agreeing on that price is right.
First of all its 68m. 80m are in euros not pounds. We spent 50m for a full back from Palace who can't attack and 80m for a CB from Leicester who is a slight upgrade on Smalling. Putting that into contest (+ some other fees like Haller for 45m, 72m for Pepe and 62m for Mahrez) then the transfer isn't that outrageous especially considering that we're buying in January which is a seller's market. The 40m + bonuses we're offering is laughable especially the rumours surrounding the clauses. There's more of a chance of me jumping in the white house, take down all the body guards there, kick Trump in the balls then do the same at Putin and the same at Kim Jong Un then this happening.

Secondly we shouldn't be here. Herrera shouldn't have been allowed to leave and the CM's issue should have been sorted during the summer. Yet there are still people defending the club, that despite our net spend is ridiculous, our stadium is leaking water, our team is losing players, our CEO keeps lamenting about how tough it is for him to buy more then 3 players per window and that the squad is getting thinner with every transfer window. We had 3 managers, a former player and an agent saying the same thing. United only care about money. Yet you still find people buying into Woodward's lies

Amarsdd

Last summer, United briefed media outlets that we were never in for Bruno Fernandes.

It's fairly standard English. If you need an interpreter for that, might I suggest an English language tutor?
This reply should help clear this misconception
Sporting wanted way more than £39m. They rejected Spurs bid which exceeded that amount. Don’t know where Sky gets that figure from.

Varandas himself said in September:

"Tottenham [offered] €45m plus €20m in objectives - winning the English league and the Champions League. Finding these objectives difficult, I chose not to accept."

Varandas also said in July:

“What I know, a lot has been spoken of values, coming to the press, €55m, €62m… for that he doesn’t leave, for sure.”

Sporting wanted north of £75m in July according to James Ducker which to me makes sense considering Varandas’ comments and United's hesitation to bid then. United decided to move for him now that Sporting approached United only for them to go back to their original price range

beingshe7don

For that we'll need to hit rock bottom and I'm not sure how much more can we drop? Leeds? On one hand, we've spent a significant amount of money but all that money has been spent so foolishly. Ed has continued to implement his "penny wise pound foolish" ideology. Can someone do a quick math and determine how much money we've spent on sacking managers? Every transfer window it's the same old story, it's like we don't do any groundwork ahead of the window or negotiation behind the scenes to ensure that we don't spend the entire window just negotiating. Woodward, Judge and Ole... all three need to go. We've relied so heavily on our reputation to bail us out in terms of finances, commercial appeal and also appeal when it comes to attracting talent but I'm not sure that's going to hold anymore. The board of directors need to be held accountable for the decisions that have been taken at the club and that also includes the likes of Sir Alex Ferguson and Sir Bobby Charlton. Sponsors will eventually start steering clear of the shithole that is Manchester United. We once used to be United.... cannot even imagine how divided we are as a fanbase, today.

I'm not sure how we achieve this but we need a revolution at United. This evolution that we've been anticipating since SAF left just isn't coming to pass.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
ESPN posted this on a social media website.

Not cool :(

momo83

Massive Snowflake
Missing the point completely. We tried this over paying shit with lvg and mourinho and it got us nowhere. So what if we have so much money. Some players are worth overpaying for, bruno isn't.

I have more of an issue with the lack if targets, and everyone knows it. What exactly has the transfer team been doing this whole time where bruno is the only midfielder we can buy? Maybe if we had several targets and stopped going all in on single transfers, clubs would think twice before ripping us off.

If a world class proven player is on the market, you do what you have to in order to sign him. If not, we should not be overpaying massively. Bruno at 70m is a non starter for me
We paid £80m for Maguire last summer. Arguably the most over the odds we’ve paid in our history. Pogba / Di Maria was the going rate. We failed to get the best out of them, but at the time any other top club would have paid a similar amount.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Stones £50m
Cancelo £50mil
Ottamendi £35mil
Laporte £56mil

Add this quartet to the above and I would say only Walker and Laporte could be called hits and not misses so the wasting of money here is mind boggling.
All the complaining/sulking they did at the time, yet the financial fair play rule has actually done them a favour.

Class of 63

Sourness
Pogba might end up staying if we get Bruno and he performs very well thus reducing the need for a massive overhaul in the summer. Why can't Woodward see that?
I think there's more chance of Ed Woodward stepping into Marcus Rashford's shoes boots and scoring a hat-trick at the Kop End later on today than Paul Pogba being at Old Trafford next season.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic

@Ramshock might want to have a word with you, thank you

It’s horse-shit
Cheers

Last edited:

msra5kg2

Time to face facts. We have an incompetent chief negotiator in Matt Judge unaided by an incoherent strategy and aim that’s seems to change week on week. This is costing us millions, but far more debilitating than that it’s costing us are once pristine prestigious title. If rumours are true this morning about brining Luis Campos in as DOF, then its a result of Ed Woodward doing some real self reflection on all the above.

Truth be told I don’t see an exceptional player in Bruno and if we sign him I’ll be delighted to be wrong as we need a solid midfield. If it means us not forking out the money now to set a precedent for not overpaying for summer targets then I’m ok with that. However, it’s not OK for our current negotiators to be leading this summers transfers

Reactions: Sultan

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It is obviously a matter of level of expectation. I wouldn’t sign Fernandes at all if given the chance, and don’t expect him to translate anything like what he does in Portugal here. If he does, I’d be massively and pleasantly surprised, and if he doesn’t, then my personal investment in terms of expectation is already low.

And apologies for using the word ‘obviously’, which is probably the rudest word in the English Language!
I'm skeptical as well. An attacking midfielder who doesn't appear to have excellent close control/dribbling in tight spaces or physicality/burst of pace, and relies on end product (excellent numbers, but proven at a low level) - really hope this one works out as we need to get our AM signing spot on.

Marcelinho87

6 Months ago we were offered Fernandes and said no.
Now we’ve been offered him again and we said possibly but not for anything close to what you are offering him for.

Phil Brown being hysterical as usual.
He fits right in then cause this place is as hysterical.

devilish

For that we'll need to hit rock bottom and I'm not sure how much more can we drop? Leeds? On one hand, we've spent a significant amount of money but all that money has been spent so foolishly. Ed has continued to implement his "penny wise pound foolish" ideology. Can someone do a quick math and determine how much money we've spent on sacking managers? Every transfer window it's the same old story, it's like we don't do any groundwork ahead of the window or negotiation behind the scenes to ensure that we don't spend the entire window just negotiating. Woodward, Judge and Ole... all three need to go. We've relied so heavily on our reputation to bail us out in terms of finances, commercial appeal and also appeal when it comes to attracting talent but I'm not sure that's going to hold anymore. The board of directors need to be held accountable for the decisions that have been taken at the club and that also includes the likes of Sir Alex Ferguson and Sir Bobby Charlton. Sponsors will eventually start steering clear of the shithole that is Manchester United. We once used to be United.... cannot even imagine how divided we are as a fanbase, today.

I'm not sure how we achieve this but we need a revolution at United. This evolution that we've been anticipating since SAF left just isn't coming to pass.
Last season we spent a net spend of around 74m. The season prior our net spend was of around 43m. This doesn't seem to be the money spent by a club who want to seriously compete for important honours.

devilish

I like this, the GG compain didn't seem that hardcore for me tbh.
I recently met one of the nicest redcafe posters I followed since coming on the fora. The person told me that when Real Madrid has a tradition of sending players to respective supporters clubs when they are playing away. My first thought was, that was a nice thing to do. That was followed by, jeez, imagine the headache these clubs have in 'persuading' players to do so. You see, most players don't like meeting fans, especially the younger generation. That would be a nightmare for the manager and the club who forces them into it. Which really puts fan power into perspective here. Unlike us, Real Madrid supporters know what fan power is all about and they keep, the club, the manager right to players accountable. We've all seen the white scarfs going up which usually mean that the manager's days are numbered. Can you imagine if Real Madrid's CEO comes out saying that he'll be forced to renew contracts of players who aren't delivering mainly because signing more then 3 players is hard for him?

United is a business and we are their customers. If we stop buying and we hit their sales then they will have to listen.

gr3yham3

I'm skeptical as well. An attacking midfielder who doesn't appear to have excellent close control/dribbling in tight spaces or physicality/burst of pace, and relies on end product (excellent numbers, but proven at a low level) - really hope this one works out as we need to get our AM signing spot on.
His control seems fine enough for me - you dont need to be a Zidane or Messi to be a good AM. Lampard and Scholes scored tons without being good dribblers.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
What are your thoughts of the current transfer shenanigans? Sporting President acting as per usual and trying to pull a fast one? Or our board's poor transfer dealings? You think the deal will go through?
Not in January. At least not in my opinion. Euros are in the summer and there is a chance that helps Sporting's case for the figure they want.

I am 100% sure he is gone by the summer. January though..not too sure.

clarkydaz

Why are people getting salty over this tweet? We briefed we were not interested due to him giving the ball away too much and annoyance the Portuguese press use our name to drum up interest in their players.

6 months later we are crawling back for the player. Club is a shambles

Class of 63

Sourness
After we beat Liverpool this teatime I'd fax Sporting £49m +£9m in add-ons, take it or leave it offer, and give them 24hrs, if they chose to leave it we should move on to Emiliano Buendía(Norwich City), offer then circa £25m + Phil Jones and either Gomes or Chong on loan for the remainder of the season and that should do the trick, then spend the rest of the window trying to sign a defensive midfielder that we desperately need, even if he's from the bargain-bucket.

Status
Not open for further replies.