Bruno Fernandes | United not interested due to doubts over passing ability

Status
Not open for further replies.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Moved to Italy at a young age, didn't quite work out, so returned to Sporting..
It did work out actually. He was a starter at a team who at the time was getting European football on multiple occasions and played over 100 games in arguably the third best league in the world at a very young age.

Then he made a move up and joined a big club in Sporting where his exposure would increase and he would develop even more and that’s exactly what happened. There were other Italian clubs interested but Sporting jumped on the opportunity quickly and snatched him up for what now is a bargain.

Smashin

Supports
Sporting CP
It did work out actually. He was a starter at a team who at the time was getting European football on multiple occasions and played over 100 games in arguably the third best league in the world at a very young age.

Then he made a move up and joined a big club in Sporting where his exposure would increase and he would develop even more and that’s exactly what happened. There were other Italian clubs interested but Sporting jumped on the opportunity quickly and snatched him up for what now is a bargain.
Agreed, but for Sporting's standards he was pretty expensive (8.5M€) at the time, 3rd highest in our history.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Agreed, but for Sporting's standards he was pretty expensive (8.5M€) at the time, 3rd highest in our history.
Oh absolutely for our reality it was a lot of money but looking back at it now it was worth every penny.

StrettyEnder07

I mean again, I said none of those things, but sure buddeh, you go ahead and argue with all the straws in the world if you want.
That they can't play in the same team, did you not say that no, ah ok course not.

You keep talking about straws and ignoring all the points that argue against your argument lad, thank Christ it's Ole at the wheel and not you

Snafu17

That they can't play in the same team, did you not say that no, ah ok course not.

You keep talking about straws and ignoring all the points that argue against your argument lad, thank Christ it's Ole at the wheel and not you
I literally didn't.

You really don't seem to be able to converse like an actual functioning human being. I don't even know how to respond to this. Yes, I also agree that Ole is a better choice for the manager of Manchester United, than I am. Points to you for pointing that out. I'm glad we can all agree on something.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Pogba just needs Solkjaer to make the correct signings and everything will unlock automatically. Matic was never a player that was gonna give the players infront of him the platform to play because he was/is too slow. @Devil may care did call it out too in numerous posts..
I hope this is sarcasm.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Now watch us buy and trying him replacing Herrera in a B2B role. :boring:

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
I just don't get this unlocking Pogba theory...

Unlock him to do what exactly?
He doesn't score loads of goals. Even at Juve he was a good, but not prolific scorer.
So unlock him to do what? He's a physical player. Some of the best football I've seen from Pogba is picking the ball up deeper and using his pace and power to turn defence into attack.
Unlock him to do what, stand around and pass the ball around? There are a lot of better passers around that Pogba.
With Pogba, it's the full package. He can do a lot more in a lot more areas....When he can be arsed.

The only thing he needs to unlock, is his own mental aspect of the game

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I'm sorry to dissapoint you, but its not..
Brilliant.

Before he needed to be in his preferred position, then he needed to be under an attacking minded coach and now he needs better players around him.

You can easily excuse Sanchez of requiring the same and the difference in treatment is stark.

Would rather get a midfield that fits Ole's hard working system than get a system that fits Pogba.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Brilliant.

Before he needed to be in his preferred position, then he needed to be under an attacking minded coach and now he needs better players around him.

You can easily excuse Sanchez of requiring the same and the difference in treatment is stark.

Would rather get a midfield that fits Ole's hard working system than get a system that fits Pogba.
We're scrapping for 4th place because we've made some questionable signings under 3 negative managers. It's really that simple.. Pogba has played in the biggest games in football for his NT and at club level and isn't the problem, but in fact the solution. Solkjaer is the one that wants to build the team around Pogba and I agree with his judgement.

beergod

Brilliant.

Is there a system that suits him other than 10 players doing a job and him doing whatever the feck he wants?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
We're scrapping for 4th place because we've made some questionable signings under 3 negative managers. It's really that simple.. Pogba has played in the biggest games in football for his NT and at club level and isn't the problem, but in fact the solution. Solkjaer is the one that wants to build the team around Pogba and I agree with his judgement.
Is there a system that suits him other than 10 players doing a job and him doing whatever the feck he wants?
Beergod has it spot on - a style that fits Pogba and Ole's vision of United may be mutually exclusive. Hopefully it's not of course, but I'd rather see us critique Paul Pogba same as everyone else rather than make a new excuse for him every 2 months.

StrettyEnder07

Oh, go away. It's about balance. Bar the one Pep team in the league with a very specific play style, everyone else has a at least two traditional CMs in their midfield. If we suddenly decide to press as high, as intense and as consistently as City are, then yeah sure we can go ahead and buy another 10 offensive midfielders for all I care.
I took the above as they can't play together, apologies if that was not what you mean't but that is how it comes across, it's about balance, two traditional CMs in the midfield, you were arguing against a guy who asked you why they can't play together and this was your response, that to me is saying they can't play together.

Apologies if my inability to be a human being (or whatever it was you said) is hampering my understanding but that to me is you saying they can't play together, if I have read that wrong, you have my apologies.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I think he maybe about the only one we do get from all these people's fantasy XIs!

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Doing a fantastic season, and the one before was also amazing aswell. I do not think he will repeat this goal record anytime soon, but he's clearly a talented player which I admire for his fantastic passing and vision since his days back at Serie A.

Trizy

Doing a fantastic season, and the one before was also amazing aswell. I do not think he will repeat this goal record anytime soon, but he's clearly a talented player which I admire for his fantastic passing and vision since his days back at Serie A.
How's his overall play? Like holding up the ball, dribbling, work rate/pressing, decision making, pace, strength, defensive contribution, crossing?

I doubt too he'll ever recreate the same goal scoring numbers but even if he halved his goals & assists if he joined us he'd still be among the most productive CAMs in Europe.

TrueRed79

Henrikh Mkhitaryan scored 23 goals and 25 assists in the season before joining us. Joined us and was sold 18 months later. And that was in a tougher league as well. Not convinced signing this guy will help us out of our current predicament.

Trizy

Henrikh Mkhitaryan scored 23 goals and 25 assists in the season before joining us. Joined us and was sold 18 months later. And that was in a tougher league as well. Not convinced signing this guy will help us out of our current predicament.
Mkhitaryan wasn't banging them in from 30 yards on the regular :drool:

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
How's his overall play? Like holding up the ball, dribbling, work rate/pressing, decision making, pace, strength, defensive contribution, crossing?

I doubt too he'll ever recreate the same goal scoring numbers but even if he halved his goals & assists if he joined us he'd still be among the most productive CAMs in Europe.
He excels in his technical abilities: His dribbling, passing and crossing are pretty much accurate, either he uses his left or right foot. his holding up the ball is good, but he has a different profile: he's a very proactive midfielder that constantly search for exploits on the opposition back line. I suspect that his stamina levels, which are clearly above the average, contributes for his will to keep going forward.

His decision making might frustrate you sometimes, because in the last third he's the type of player who prefers to go for the final pass / go for the shot rather than recycle possession. Sometimes this will be a very good thing because most of the opponents are not very used to this kind of players nowadays, but it can backfire his pass accuracy / completed statistics / shot accuracy.

His pace is good, but not his strongest asset, and same can be said about his strength, but he has a quite good balance which makes him a player quite difficult to knock off.

His defensive contribution is quite valuable and a lot of counters start with him. He is a very professional player when defending, doing his pressing very well and try to cut the space and passing lines rather than press and tackle. He's not the player who can outmuscle most of his opponents, so I think he's doing it right.

His defensive positioning sometimes is a let down, but his determination makes it up for it, because he will run his socks off to recover. He's quite a determined bastard tbh.

But... he's one of those players that needs to feel needed by the fans. It affects his morale. But I would say the great majority of the players are like this.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Bruno Fernandes goal record was never this good, but his assists numbers were always up there. In that department he's been quite consistent in the last seasons. His goal scoring ability has more to do that in Sporting he plays a CAM role, while in Serie A he was mainly used as a deep lying play-maker due to his amazing passing range.

TrueRed79

Bruno Fernandes goal record was never this good, but his assists numbers were always up there. In that department he's been quite consistent in the last seasons. His goal scoring ability has more to do that in Sporting he plays a CAM role, while in Serie A he was mainly used as a deep lying play-maker due to his amazing passing range.
Maybe he's ready to make the step up but again i'm not sold on him even though his stats are excellent.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Maybe he's ready to make the step up but again i'm not sold on him even though his stats are excellent.
It all depends what Ole wants. if you want a possession slow tempo game, than buying Fernandes might not be a good option.

He's a player that thrives on a proactive type of football.

Trizy

He excels in his technical abilities: His dribbling, passing and crossing are pretty much accurate, either he uses his left or right foot. his holding up the ball is good, but he has a different profile: he's a very proactive midfielder that constantly search for exploits on the opposition back line. I suspect that his stamina levels, which are clearly above the average, contributes for his will to keep going forward.

His decision making might frustrate you sometimes, because in the last third he's the type of player who prefers to go for the final pass / go for the shot rather than recycle possession. Sometimes this will be a very good thing because most of the opponents are not very used to this kind of players nowadays, but it can backfire his pass accuracy / completed statistics / shot accuracy.

His pace is good, but not his strongest asset, and same can be said about his strength, but he has a quite good balance which makes him a player quite difficult to knock off.

His defensive contribution is quite valuable and a lot of counters start with him. He is a very professional player when defending, doing his pressing very well and try to cut the space and passing lines rather than press and tackle. He's not the player who can outmuscle most of his opponents, so I think he's doing it right.

His defensive positioning sometimes is a let down, but his determination makes it up for it, because he will run his socks off to recover. He's quite a determined bastard tbh.

But... he's one of those players that needs to feel needed by the fans. It affects his morale. But I would say the great majority of the players are like this.
Cheers mate.

Are there any present players you would compare him to? Isco, B.Silva, Mahrez?

Silas

Only way I see him really fitting is if we play him at the tip of the diamond as a false #9. Wouldn't mind the formation at all, but not completely sure if he'll make the step up. Different players obviously, but I'm slightly wary after the way João Mario was hyped.
Cheers mate.

I think he's more like De Bruyne or Lampard than any of those players.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Cheers mate.

Hard to say, because he's an hybrid between an 8 and a 10. I wouldn't say De Bruyne because Fernandes is more a Give'n Go type of player. I think he makes me remeber a bit Lucho Gonzalez, who by some unknown reasons never played at EPL despite being one of the most brilliant midfielders of his generation.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
So we don't sign him because Mkhitaryan failed?

We aren't capable of judging players individually anymore and have to draw conclusions to our previous signings?

Pointless excercise.

NJM78

One of our biggest predicaments does seem to be that we lack players with technical ability who can score from distance, create, and be comfortable on the ball during play and in dead ball situations.

We need more than just Pogba. Lingard is hugely limited and Mata is like a 8 year old girl running through cement. The reason the likes of City and Liverpool score and create so many is they have at least three players who are technically very good starting every match, in City case more.

Technically man for man I'd say we are probably the 6th best team in the league and it is the position I think we will finish. Not saying Fernandes alone makes us a top team again but he would be a great addition.

Do you have any other players in mind to make us a better attacking unit because it is no coincidence that we score and create the least of the top 4-6 over the past 5 years or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.