Bruno Fernandes | United not interested due to doubts over passing ability

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luke Silva

Supports
Sporting CP
The player himself said that the contract he signed last summer was exactly the same as the original one, people here don't understand that the portuguese media is full of sheit.

Devil may care

I would say 2nd tier considering our main clubs regularly go far in Europe and we are a very defensive league so players with good numbers are usually the business.

Look at the dutch league they are an actual third tier league where no defense is played and you can't really Judge a player based on there numbers there.

Either way in todays market signing the best player in the 6th best league in the world 35M would be nothing. Look at Militao who in only one season in Europe went for 50M.

Also reports again in Portugal today of Man City and PSG interest in Fernandes.
I guess it depends how you break the tiers down.

Tier 1: PL, La Liga, Bundesliga

Tier 2: Ligue 1, Serie A

Tier 3: Primeira Liga, Eredivisie

Is how I see the tiers.

I don't think Bruno is worth more than we paid for Fred, £50M max, if PSG and City are interested and willing to pay more, so be it, personally I'd be surprised if Pep was really interested, his #8's are more about guile and creation, I know Bruno has good assists but protecting, keeping and circulating the ball isn't what he does, he's more of a Lampard or Gerrard than he is a Iniesta or Deco from what I've seen.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal

Is how I see the tiers.

I don't think Bruno is worth more than we paid for Fred, £50M max, if PSG and City are interested and willing to pay more, so be it, personally I'd be surprised if Pep was really interested, his #8's are more about guile and creation, I know Bruno has good assists but protecting, keeping and circulating the ball isn't what he does, he's more of a Lampard or Gerrard than he is a Iniesta or Deco from what I've seen.
I would put Serie A in tier 1 personally and then Ligue 1 and Primeira Liga tier 2 with the Eredivise Russian Ukraine tier 3. You have Bundesliga tier 1 and Serie A tier 2 but they are basically the same league.

Besides PSG Ligue 1 is at the same level as the Portuguese and I go by European presence and performances as well to determine the the leagues.

Like I said the money in football is off the charts and in current market standings 50M is a loss for Sporting considering we sold Joao Mario for 40M and Frenkie De Jong (though he is really good) went for 75M.

Nialinho

Is how I see the tiers.

Bundesliga is not a top tier league anymore, it's verrrrrrrrry overrated. The quality has dropped massively especially in the last year, Serie A is superior imo. Ademola Lookman looked like a superstar over there..

I don't watch Portuguese football but having seen his obligatory highlight vids and his numbers from this season, I'd say he'll go for more than £50M.

SportingCP96

Supports
Bundesliga is not a top tier league anymore, it's verrrrrrrrry overrated. The quality has dropped massively especially in the last year, Serie A is superior imo. Ademola Lookman looked like a superstar over there..

I don't watch Portuguese football but having seen his obligatory highlight vids and his numbers from this season, I'd say he'll go for more than £50M.
Was just thinking I wonder if United would include a player or players to sweeten the deal? Say 50M plus Marcos Rojo? or 50M plus Rojo and Romero or Damian or even Andreas Perreira?

Devil may care

I would put Serie A in tier 1 personally and then Ligue 1 and Primeira Liga tier 2 with the Eredivise Russian Ukraine tier 3. You have Bundesliga tier 1 and Serie A tier 2 but they are basically the same league.

Besides PSG Ligue 1 is at the same level as the Portuguese and I go by European presence and performances as well to determine the the leagues.

Like I said the money in football is off the charts and in current market standings 50M is a loss for Sporting considering we sold Joao Mario for 40M and Frenkie De Jong (though he is really good) went for 75M.
Fair enough, I just don't rate the Portuguese league all that highly, I mean Euro competition progression can be misleading IMO, I mean Monaco got to the semi final a couple of years ago but it was a freak season for them, United this season getting to the quarters despite the nightmare season we've had, cup competitions can skew things a lot.

Money is crazy right now but it has to be reeled in not compounded by paying £70-80M for Bruno or £120M for Felix or indeed a £100M for Sancho, this upward pricing can't continue, the market has to settle back down and move past the Neymar deal and the 3 deals (Dembele, Mbappe and Coutinho) that happened in the wake of it.

The problem with the Bundesliga is the same as Serie A in that one team is winning it every season as they are so much better funded than the rest of the league. The quality of the Bundesliga teams below Bayern is still of a higher standard than Serie A 2-6 IMO.

Was just thinking I wonder if United would include a player or players to sweeten the deal? Say 50M plus Marcos Rojo? or 50M plus Rojo and Romero or Damian or even Andreas Perreira?
Would Sporting want any of those players? In truth Pereira is the only one I'd see likely as Darmian wants to go back to Italy and Rojo is so greedy that we'd never reach a compromise on his wages.

Zlatattack

Is today some sort of footballing black friday? Apparently Munier is going cheap too. If this fella is available for 35 mil - we should be all over it.

SportingCP96

Supports
Fair enough, I just don't rate the Portuguese league all that highly, I mean Euro competition progression can be misleading IMO, I mean Monaco got to the semi final a couple of years ago but it was a freak season for them, United this season getting to the quarters despite the nightmare season we've had, cup competitions can skew things a lot.

Money is crazy right now but it has to be reeled in not compounded by paying £70-80M for Bruno or £120M for Felix or indeed a £100M for Sancho, this upward pricing can't continue, the market has to settle back down and move past the Neymar deal and the 3 deals (Dembele, Mbappe and Coutinho) that happened in the wake of it.

The problem with the Bundesliga is the same as Serie A in that one team is winning it every season as they are so much better funded than the rest of the league. The quality of the Bundesliga teams below Bayern is still of a higher standard than Serie A 2-6 IMO.

Would Sporting want any of those players? In truth Pereira is the only one I'd see likely as Darmian wants to go back to Italy and Rojo is so greedy that we'd never reach a compromise on his wages.
We need a keeper as we have no quality in that position and Romero I can see as an interesting option. As for Rojo considering we will have some departures I personally would take him but his wages could be an issue. We need a right back and Fosu Mensah could be a good option if United include a buyback option.

Keep in mind this is nothing reported in the media I am just throwing it out in the air.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
You better lower your expectations. Only if they (United) don’t have any other options on the market to sign. I think Sporting needs more the money than United the player.

Anyway I completely freak out with how easy it is to throw millions over the window this days.

Fifa or UEFA need to do something about this, it’s just nonsense some of the fees around, 50 million euros this days for a 17 year old player in Brasil. Even Florentino from Benfica with 10 games already speculation regarding City.

It makes no sense. Or better, for their agents it makes a lot of sense.

Regarding players as shit as we are I never was a fan of Rojo, even on his best season for us under Jardim.

Fer

We need a player like him. If we play diamond formation next season...
Would you play Fernandes in a midfield of 3 or No.10 behind the strikers?

Smashin

Supports
Sporting CP
Did Rojo leave Sporting on good terms? If so he could be included.
Not really, he kinda threatened to stop playing to force his sale.
But even if he didnt he was never rated that high among the supporters and he wouldn't have a place in the starting 11 anyway.

croadyman

I know Sport Witness isn't reliable at times, however the talk of Viana flying in to meet City tomorrow doesn't look good for us.

Last edited by a moderator:

SportingCP96

Supports
I know Sport Witness isn't reliable at times, however the talk of Viana flying in to meet City tomorrow doesn't look good for us.
The Man city rumor has picked up a lot of steam especially since him and Bernardo are good friends.

Fer

Do they need him? City already have quality players in his position.

kode

I am cautious with City they seemed to want Fred, Sanchez and Jorginho.... other clubs got them and they all look shit now... seems like they like to drive clubs into buying certain type of players (may be not sanchez)....

Raw

It's just City in a nutshell, they want to add more to their wealth of attacking talent. It could be that they might be selling someone, or they want someone to make up for De Bruyne's constant absences due to injury. Maybe Sane or Mahrez wants to leave and they'll plan on putting someone like Bernardo in their place.

I am cautious with City they seemed to want Fred, Sanchez and Jorginho.... other clubs got them and they all look shit now... seems like they like to drive clubs into buying certain type of players (may be not sanchez)....
You could argue that those players would look hundreds times better in their setup.

AgentP

They are getting him to replace Silva maybe and as a competition to KDB and Bernardo. Wish our club showed this ambition when we were on top. Anyway, I hope we get him.

Fer

It's just City in a nutshell, they want to add more to their wealth of attacking talent. It could be that they might be selling someone, or they want someone to make up for De Bruyne's constant absences due to injury. Maybe Sane or Mahrez wants to leave and they'll plan on putting someone like Bernardo in their place.

You could argue that those players would look hundreds times better in their setup.
Agreed. It's sad to see that they have Sterling, Sane, Mahrez and Bernardo Silva as their wingers while we have not had a proper RW for years.

Suvvernmanc

Would City even be in for Bruno? To me it makes no sense in them signing him. There is so many links to city now for him and I don't see it happening.

His position is one that is more of a number 10 than a number 8 or box to box. When I've seen him play, he plays as the furthest forward in a midfield 3, or very close to the attackers.

City already have Bernardo, David Silva, De Bruyne and Foden who all play in this attacking midfield role.

They need a holding midfielder. One that is happy to play second fiddle to fernandinho for a season or 2. Definitely not a Bruno Fernandes type player.

Saf94

Maybe because you can’t just slot players into any side and expect them to be equally good. City play an extremely high line, possession orientated, technically focused system. You put Fred in there and he does much better because he’s not trying to bring the game up the pitch and deliver all the creativity in the midfield. We should stop signing players thinking if they’re good then they’ll be good for us and actually buy players who will fit a system that works with our team. We can’t play the same way City do so we shouldn’t go for their targets

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Does he run alot? That's what Manchester United supporters want in a midfielder

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Would City even be in for Bruno? To me it makes no sense in them signing him. There is so many links to city now for him and I don't see it happening.

His position is one that is more of a number 10 than a number 8 or box to box. When I've seen him play, he plays as the furthest forward in a midfield 3, or very close to the attackers.

City already have Bernardo, David Silva, De Bruyne and Foden who all play in this attacking midfield role.

They need a holding midfielder. One that is happy to play second fiddle to fernandinho for a season or 2. Definitely not a Bruno Fernandes type player.
It seems gundogan might be going, so it’ll be him and Rodri to replace Fernandinho.

It seems they’ve unleashrd Bernardo silva to chat him up, so it’s not looking good.

Suvvernmanc

It seems gundogan might be going, so it’ll be him and Rodri to replace Fernandinho.

It seems they’ve unleashrd Bernardo silva to chat him up, so it’s not looking good.
If they move Mahrez on, and give Bernardo the right forward spot I could see Bruno joining. Still too many players. Foden wont get a look in. !

Adam-Utd

If they move Mahrez on, and give Bernardo the right forward spot I could see Bruno joining. Still too many players. Foden wont get a look in. !
Bernardo already plays the RW slot, Mahrez has hardly played! city will make room for him, we’ve seen they don’t care about giving youth a chance.

Suvvernmanc

Bernardo already plays the RW slot, Mahrez has hardly played! city will make room for him, we’ve seen they don’t care about giving youth a chance.
Hasn't Foden signed a new contract? If he has then more fool him.

Kaglish10

Not good enough. Don't want. Why? He's more of an attacker than a midfielder. I saw his passing compilation and they were nothing special apart from his crossing and long ball. Also, I checked his stats against top teams such as Porto, Benfica, Arsenal and Villarreal and they all looked terrible. Lost the ball through poor touches eventhough he hardly dribble, poor passes which were mostly long passes and crosses. Doesn't look like a player who help in controlling the midfield.

City are obviously trying to mug us like they did with Fred, Sanchez

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Does he run alot? That's what Manchester United supporters want in a midfielder
Haven't seen one person say that :lol:

Fair to say the team needs to work harder as a whole though.

Adnan

Talent Spotter

Guilleme Ballague says that City are not interested in Rodri.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Not good enough. Don't want. Why? He's more of an attacker than a midfielder. I saw his passing compilation and they were nothing special apart from his crossing and long ball. Also, I checked his stats against top teams such as Porto, Benfica, Arsenal and Villarreal and they all looked terrible. Lost the ball through poor touches eventhough he hardly dribble, poor passes which were mostly long passes and crosses. Doesn't look like a player who help in controlling the midfield.

City are obviously trying to mug us like they did with Fred, Sanchez
I’ve barely seen him myself, but this is a concern to me too. I’m not seduced in the slightest by his goal scoring - not until I can see how good he is at actual ‘midfielding’.

Adam-Utd

Guilleme Ballague says that City are not interested in Rodri.
Hmm not sure I believe ballague but the point still stands, they’ll need midfielders soon.

Let’s just hope he doesn’t want to play 2nd fiddle to KDB/silvas

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Hasn't Foden signed a new contract? If he has then more fool him.

played more minutes than any United teenager player and getting more and more chances each season, I'd say he's being developed in the best way for an 18 year old.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
played more minutes than any United teenager player and getting more and more chances each season, I'd say he's being developed in the best way for an 18 year old.
Completely agree with this.

Saf94

Anybody who wants us to sign Bruno Fernandes has not learnt a single thing for our 6 years of transfer mistakes. This guy is a number 10, he plays behind the striker. How many number 10s have we bought / had that we couldn’t fit into the team. Rooney, Kagawa, Mata, Mikhi, Lingard, Pogba all favour that role and literally none of them flourished in that role. Why? Because our team absolutely is not set up to play with a number 10 and modern football is moving away from that role anyway.

Teams will press a lot and pack the midfield and to counter that you need to have a stacked midfield yourself. Our midfield right now consists of an immobile 30 year old who gets overrun far too easily, a world class playmaker who doesn’t want to defend much and likes to hang out on the wing and a little Brazilian guy who loses the ball as soon as he gets pressed. Our midfield cannot cope as a 2. Unless we sign a whole new midfield we ain’t playing with a number 10.

And before people say but City have loads of number 10s, City play their number 10s as centre midfielders. They can do that because they dominate possession, resist the press because of remarkable technical ability and defend as a team with the counter press. You can only play that offensive if you are a really good team who can control games. Even then they clearly get found out in tough European away games when they aren’t better than their opposition.

Frankly signing Fernandes would be another sign of 0 planning just trying to get the best quality available and no idea how to fit them in. We’ve signed so many good players who flopped because we don’t have any clue how to fit them into the side. We need players who will help us develop a proper system and fit with our current core

Status
Not open for further replies.