Bruno, Fred, McT

Giggsy13

I don’t think we can call this our best midfield without having tried Bruno, VDB and Fred/McT. While Fred and McT have an amazing work rate, their range of passing is fairly limited. Having a deep lying midfielder with the range of passing and work rate of VDB would take our midfield to another level.

Steven7290

This is definitely our best midfield trio but we definitely need to find a better player than Mctominay looking more long term. Fine with him being in the squad but we need a better footballer alongside Fred if we want to compete for top honours again.
The same type but better? I dont see a lot of them around unfortunately

Giggsy13

This is definitely our best midfield trio but we definitely need to find a better player than Mctominay looking more long term. Fine with him being in the squad but we need a better footballer alongside Fred if we want to compete for top honours again.
VDB.

romufc

I don’t think we can call this our best midfield without having tried Bruno, VDB and Fred/McT. While Fred and McT have an amazing work rate, their range of passing is fairly limited. Having a deep lying midfielder with the range of passing and work rate of VDB would take our midfield to another level.
Since when is VDB a deep lying player? Since when does Donny have passing range? He is a very good passer but the passes are 5/10 yard passes, he keeps the ball moving.

I dont think you understand the attributes that VDB possess.

Web of Bissaka

Agreed, but why only McT?
Are we overlooking Fred's flaws?
If we can also find a better player than Fred, then go for it.

Finding a better player than Bruno though is difficult as hell, thank god we already got him.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?

Finding a better player than Bruno though is difficult as hell, thank god we already got him.
Well in an ideal world both then yes. Although I think Fred is perfectly fine and is beginning to show why Pep was so keen to sign him too.

Don't see Mctominary ever be better than a squad player quality though and there's nothing wrong with that. We've had some top squad players down the years who have played a really big role for the club. Park immediately springs to mind as well as Ole Gunnar.

Giggsy13

Since when is VDB a deep lying player? Since when does Donny have passing range? He is a very good passer but the passes are 5/10 yard passes, he keeps the ball moving.

I dont think you understand the attributes that VDB possess.
I don’t think you quite understand the various midfield roles he played at Ajax, which included playing a deeper role.

romufc

I don’t think you quite understand the various midfield roles he played at Ajax, which included playing a deeper role.
I dont think you quite understand the difference between the PL and Dutch league.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

Finding better player than Fred or the role he's given right now means you want to sign someone like Kimmich and it's not something cheap or even easy to get. Not only that, this covid will minimise our transfer budget and we might not have more than 100m net spend next summer so we want to spend wisely and Fred is clearly not part of any our problem.

Giggsy13

I dont think you quite understand the difference between the PL and Dutch league.
I don’t think you quite understand that you’ve indirectly admitted that he has played in a deep lying role at Ajax and in the champions league. With your logic why do we even purchase players from Holland when the league isn’t up to standard?

Further if Pogba can be given a chance to play that role when he is clearly out of his depth at times, why shouldn’t VDB be afforded that chance as well? Ole needs to experiment with the midfield more to find the best combination and giving VDB a chance with Fred makes a lot of sense.

man united 4eva

Sell Pogba.. buy Denis Zakaria.. That would make a first choice midfield 3 of... Zakaria... Fred... Fernandes... Thus it would leave... Matic... McTominay... van de Beek as cover... :drool:

romufc

I don’t think you quite understand that you’ve indirectly admitted that he has played in a deep lying role at Ajax and in the champions league. With your logic why do we even purchase players from Holland when the league isn’t up to standard?
In certain games at home, you can play with a Fred / Matic and Bruno and Donny as the 8's not deep lying play maker. The player is talented, it would be unfair for him to a play a position he isnt used to in a new league.

How have I admitted that he played as a deep lying player in the champions league. In actual fact you have claimed he does, which is now where I will show you evidence that he did not. Clearly you didnt watch the UCL games.

https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/match/2026847--ajax-vs-real-madrid/
https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/match/2027155--juventus-vs-ajax/
https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/match/2027159--ajax-vs-tottenham/
https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/match/2027063--ajax-vs-chelsea/

He is number 6 if you need help. He played with 2 other CM's and ahead of them in the CL games.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Try vDB sometimes and you might be surprised.

Dermatologists hate him!!

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

Fred isn't perfect, but he's good enough that upgrading him is fairly low on the list of what we need. Get him a top partner and it wouldn't surprise me if he stepped up even further as well.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018

Borys

Statistics Wizard
You're still ignoring that those teams have enough creativity in other positions to cover up for the work horses while we don't
Exaaaactly. So what's the problem, two conservative box to box midfielders doing their job amazingly well defensively (just look at the goals and shots against us), or front 3 not performing? We've been creating many clear cut chances in all of those games (bar Arsenal probably).
Finding better player than Fred or the role he's given right now means you want to sign someone like Kimmich and it's not something cheap or even easy to get. Not only that, this covid will minimise our transfer budget and we might not have more than 100m net spend next summer so we want to spend wisely and Fred is clearly not part of any our problem.
Excellent point. We might end up upgrading McTominay and being slightly better team, and still play Mata on right wing next season. It's about priorities and midfield isn't high on that list.

romufc

Exaaaactly. So what's the problem, two conservative box to box midfielders doing their job amazingly well defensively (just look at the goals and shots against us), or front 3 not performing? We've been creating many clear cut chances in all of those games (bar Arsenal probably).

Excellent point. We might end up upgrading McTominay and being slightly better team, and still play Mata on right wing next season. It's about priorities and midfield isn't high on that list.
Its almost as if fans are not watching the game. Look at the games where we didnt start 2 CM's. Palace, Spurs, Brighton, Istanbul, not just were the results poor but the defensive actions in all of those games was poor. We were completely open in each of those games and didnt actually look like creating much.

Now with 2 in there, we have score a few goals and conceded less chances. I cannot see how fans are questioning the tactic? Until the team builds confidence and we win games on the bounce, I feel we need the 2 midfielders in there.

If that means Donny and Pogba are on the bench, so be it.