Bruno is underrated thread

marktan

Nothing says I know feck all about football like not rating Bruno, easily our most important player

Same people that thought selling Pogba or Rashford would fix us

Sack fergie sell Giggs in 2024

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I agree with most of this other than the fact that you cant control matches with that shape. Bruno at the tip of the midfield 3 in a 4231 can control games. We saw that in loads of games last season with Casemiro and Eriksen in the double pivot.

It only fell apart in the games where the lack of energy and legs in that double pivot got exposed, with Fred and McT as the only other options who are much better suited as 8's.

I would argue that with Amrabat and Mainoo as genuine alternatives in the double pivot, and proper use of substitutions, we could control midfield in a 4231 against the majority of opposition.

It's all irrelevant though, as ETH has no intention changing the shape back, despite it clearly being the best shape to get the most out of his squad.
Yeah I agree with this to a certain degree, it can work. However I guess it's save to say that it then needs a quality gap between the midfielders of both teams to balance the lack of a true third midfielder. As proof of that I would point to the abysmal record against top teams, especially away.

thisisnottaken1

The likes of Odegaard, Maddison and Macca etc would inevitably turn crap and struggle if they played for us. Meanwhile Bruno would look just as good if not better if he played for their respective teams.

Only exception would be KDB who is genuinely world class but even then I think a Bruno playing for city would look better than a KDB playing for us.
I totally agree, this club is like kryptonite. It’s so badly managed.

sammyhol

Yeah I agree with this to a certain degree, it can work. However I guess it's save to say that it then needs a quality gap between the midfielders of both teams to balance the lack of a true third midfielder. As proof of that I would point to the abysmal record against top teams, especially away.
Yeh very fair. a 4231 with Bruno at 10 could still struggle against the very top teams, regardless of how good the double pivot play...

And 433 is probably a sensible option... but potentially then you are looking at options not including Bruno at all, or play him out wide.

The key point for me still though is in 80% of games a 4231 with Bruno at 10 is still our best bet unless we sign another world class midfielder or 2... and I'm not sure how many players there are who actually meet that criteria, who would be genuine upgrades on what we already have, and who would also be interested in playing for this current United side over the other options they are likely to have.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
The key point for me still though is in 80% of games a 4231 with Bruno at 10 is still our best bet.
I agree, it just means that you won't be able to control the midfield. Which means you have to sit deep and counter attack to prevent getting overrun (which is exactly what Ole did in his good games against top teams).

By playing a higher line his lost balls become a bigger problem while at the same time he doesn't get enough space to play attackers through who excel at this kind of counter attacks (like Rashford).

justsomebloke

I agree, it just means that you won't be able to control the midfield. Which means you have to sit deep and counter attack to prevent getting overrun (which is exactly what Ole did in his good games against top teams).

By playing a higher line his lost balls become a bigger problem while at the same time he doesn't get enough space to play attackers through who excel at this kind of counter attacks (like Rashford).
This overlooks the fairly key point that Bruno isn't just an asset in setting up counterattacks. He is also, by far, our most impactful player when we are established in the attacking third. Other than the relatively rare occasions when one of the wide players makes something happen from nothing through a successful take-on, any chances we create almost invariably involves a Bruno pass in the buildup, and quite often it's the decisive one.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
This overlooks the fairly key point that Bruno isn't just an asset in setting up counterattacks. He is also, by far, our most impactful player when we are established in the attacking third. Other than the relatively rare occasions when one of the wide players makes something happen from nothing through a successful take-on, any chances we create almost invariably involves a Bruno pass in the buildup, and quite often it's the decisive one.
I don't overlook that, but the problem is how often he loses the ball while doing that. Which kind of is my earlier point that you can't really control matches while relying on Bruno to do this.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Of course it's possible to control the midfield with Bruno in the starting XI :rolleyes: He has proved this multiple times.

What do people mean by control, exactly? And for which games? We are probably never gonna "control the midfield" when playing against Liverpool or City. Not even Fergie did that near the end. What separates a good team from the rest is that a good team will control the midfield consistently when playing weaker opponents and put up a fight when playing equal opponents.

The reason we can't control the midfield against so many supposedly weaker teams is because we aren't very good ourselves. That's not the fault of one player (who happens to be our best).

justsomebloke

I don't overlook that, but the problem is how often he loses the ball while doing that. Which kind of is my earlier point that you can't really control matches while relying on Bruno to do this.
I'm not sure I agree with that. We don't have data here either of us, but just on general impressions it doesn't seem to me that he's particularly prominent in losing the ball once we are established in the attacking third. I would say that's more a lamentable team tendency. Garnacho and Rashford frequently end up on the losing side of their take-on attempts, Antony loses it frequently outright or through misplaced passes, so does Wan-Bissaka and to an extent Dalot.

No Idea For Nickname

Patroness Saint of the anti-RAWKites
Since I’ve put the two together here are Rooneys thoughts on Pogba…

Rooney claims Pogba’s attitude was exemplary from the minute he arrived at Old Trafford.

“After he returned [from Juventus] in 2016, we had a season together under Jose Mourinho. Then, as before, Paul’s application was always fantastic, and his mentality was spot on.

“He wanted to win, he was a strong character, committed to the team. You should ignore all the silly criticism that comes his way. All that stuff about his hair-cuts and dancing – it’s irrelevant. None of it has anything to do with the player that Paul is.”
Since you've put the two together, here are some more Rooneys thoughts on Pogba…

Paul Pogba and Jesse Lingard, two players known for expressing themselves, were the victims of this culture shift after Rooney found them dancing to music in the changing room one day after a defeat.

"I do remember one time, coming into training at United the day after a defeat, still feeling very annoyed and walking into the dressing room with Michael Carrick, Rooney wrote in his column last year.

"We found Jesse and Paul dancing in there with the music on. I went over, turned it off and took the speakers out of the dressing room - because that's my mindset, that's how I've grown up in football.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I'm not sure I agree with that. We don't have data here either of us, but just on general impressions it doesn't seem to me that he's particularly prominent in losing the ball once we are established in the attacking third. I would say that's more a lamentable team tendency. Garnacho and Rashford frequently end up on the losing side of their take-on attempts, Antony loses it frequently outright or through misplaced passes, so does Wan-Bissaka and to an extent Dalot.
I agree here. Bruno definitely isn't the only player to whom that description fits, and I didn't mean to give that impression.

But I guess we can all agree here that United has trouble controlling matches, but instead tries to go for the fastest way to the goal. Which as an approach is fine, and there is nothing wrong if you rate Bruno highly as a creator for this approach, at least I do that.

But he will never be a crucial part of a team that tries to keep possession.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Not very good at dribbling, keeping the ball under pressure, massive flaw

AlexUTD

Imagine if attacking players around Bruno were prolific.

I will just leave this here:

Top 10 for chances created in 23/24
PlayerClubChances created (inc. assists)
Kieran TrippierNewcastle33
Bruno FernandesMan Utd32
James MaddisonSpurs31
Dominik SzoboszlaiLiverpool28
James Ward-ProwseWest Ham28
Julian AlvarezMan City27
Bukayo SakaArsenal27
Mohamed SalahLiverpool26
Pedro NetoWolves25
Alfie DoughtyLuton

Top 10 for chances created in 22/23
PlayerTeamChances created
Bruno FernandesMan Utd119
Kieran TrippierNewcastle110
Kevin De BruyneMan City98
Pascal GrossBrighton80
Martin OdegaardArsenal76
Bukayo SakaArsenal75
James Ward-ProwseSouthampton74
Michael OliseCrystal Palace72
Trent Alexander-ArnoldLiverpool71
James MaddisonLeicester City69

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Since you've put the two together, here are some more Rooneys thoughts on Pogba…
Didn’t Rooney say DIRECTLY AFTER your quote that he agrees with Rio that they need to get their heads around the changes in modern culture? Then go on the say directly….

“After he returned [from Juventus] in 2016, we had a season together under Jose Mourinho. Then, as before, Paul’s application was always fantastic, and his mentality was spot on.

“He wanted to win, he was a strong character, committed to the team. You should ignore all the silly criticism that comes his way. All that stuff about his hair-cuts and dancing – it’s irrelevant. None of it has anything to do with the player that Paul is.”

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia

Bruno FernandesMan Utd32
James MaddisonSpurs31
Julian AlvarezMan City27
Bukayo SakaArsenal27
Mohamed SalahLiverpool26
Pedro NetoWolves25
Alfie DoughtyLuton

Pascal GrossBrighton80
Martin OdegaardArsenal76
Bukayo SakaArsenal75
Like perhaps Ronaldo in 21/22 season? 24 goals in 39 appearances or Rashford in 22/23 30 goals (+11 assists) in 56 appearances?

JimiboyX

Bruno FernandesMan Utd32
James MaddisonSpurs31
Julian AlvarezMan City27
Bukayo SakaArsenal27
Mohamed SalahLiverpool26
Pedro NetoWolves25
Alfie DoughtyLuton

Pascal GrossBrighton80
Martin OdegaardArsenal76
Bukayo SakaArsenal75
Whilst this shouldn't be disregarded by any means, it is worth taking into account that he plays virtually every minute of every game. For example, Maddison's chances created per game (or per minute on the pitch) is likely tons higher this season.

Having said that, the fact he consistently shows up on all these metrics and in these statistical teams of the year/season is just further evidence that he is the most creative player we have by an absolute mile, whether people think they "see" it or not.

dutchred

It would be interesting to know how many goals we have conceded due to bad passes or bad (or non) challenges from him.
A lot of posters talk about his creativity, but he does make a lot of errors ( escpecially suicidal passes)
Do they cancel each other out?

justsomebloke

I agree here. Bruno definitely isn't the only player to whom that description fits, and I didn't mean to give that impression.

But I guess we can all agree here that United has trouble controlling matches, but instead tries to go for the fastest way to the goal. Which as an approach is fine, and there is nothing wrong if you rate Bruno highly as a creator for this approach, at least I do that.

But he will never be a crucial part of a team that tries to keep possession.
Well, what about Portugal? They're a fairly possession-oriented side aren't they, and he seems to be doing well enough there?

Looked a bit into the stats. No very obvious answers from that, but some observations that are maybe worth making. At 18 failed passes/90, he certainly stands out negatively in the squad in this respect (Eriksen at 13 and Shaw at 12 are the closest). In other ball-loss categories (tackled and miscontrols) he's actually among the better ones. On the other hand, United as a team has around 110 failed passes/90. And you have to consider that someone playing in Bruno's stead would have failed passes too, so he doesn't add 18 - if you take Ødegaard as the benchmark for someone who does well in that regard while retaining a high creative impact, he has 9 failed passes/90. So, all told, statistically speaking it could be argued that Bruno's proclivity for low-percentage passing adds maybe 10% to our ball-losses through passing.

Incidentally, United has been remarkably consistent over the past 5-6 seasons in team pass completion % - 80-83%, and roughly in the middle of the pack in this regard. This season, if we had Ødegaards passing instead of Brunos, it wouldn't do more for completion % than move us past Fulham into 9th best in the league.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Well, what about Portugal? They're a fairly possession-oriented side aren't they, and he seems to be doing well enough there?

Looked a bit into the stats. No very obvious answers from that, but some observations that are maybe worth making. At 18 failed passes/90, he certainly stands out negatively in the squad in this respect (Eriksen at 13 and Shaw at 12 are the closest). In other ball-loss categories (tackled and miscontrols) he's actually among the better ones. On the other hand, United as a team has around 110 failed passes/90. And you have to consider that someone playing in Bruno's stead would have failed passes too, so he doesn't add 18 - if you take Ødegaard as the benchmark for someone who does well in that regard while retaining a high creative impact, he has 9 failed passes/90. So, all told, statistically speaking it could be argued that Bruno's proclivity for low-percentage passing adds maybe 10% to our ball-losses through passing.

Incidentally, United has been remarkably consistent over the past 5-6 seasons in team pass completion % - 80-83%, and roughly in the middle of the pack in this regard. This season, if we had Ødegaards passing instead of Brunos, it wouldn't do more for completion % than move us past Fulham into 9th best in the league.
Presumably failed passes per 90 is influenced by total passes per 90? Bruno does seem to get more involved than most number 10s, which will bump up his total, and hence failed, passes.

Interesting to hear he’s losing the ball less than most by being tackled or miscontrols. That’s the exact opposite of what you’d infer from his critics on here. Is he just one of the best of a bad lot at Manchester United? Or are his numbers broadly similar to players at other clubs?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
His touch is good, so I'm not surprised about miscontrols. Not being tackled -- probably because he very rarely takes a defender on square and will normally look to pass / shoot to release the ball quickly when he's in close proximity to an opposing player. He also isn't much of a ball carrier at all, so less chance of getting tackled in that sense.

NotChatGPT

Brownfinger
Presumably failed passes per 90 is influenced by total passes per 90? Bruno does seem to get more involved than most number 10s, which will bump up his total, and hence failed, passes.

Interesting to hear he’s losing the ball less than most by being tackled or miscontrols. That’s the exact opposite of what you’d infer from his critics on here. Is he just one of the best of a bad lot at Manchester United? Or are his numbers broadly similar to players at other clubs?
Is it? Isn't most of the negative stuff aimed at Bruno based on when/where he goes for the high risk passes, not reading the flow of the game, rather than him miscontrolling the ball and getting tackled?

Passing wise, he averages 54,7 passes per match with a pass completion % of 78,4. Ødegaard has 52,5 and 86,9%. Maddison is a lot less on the ball with "only" 44,5 passes and a completion of 85,1 Pascal averages 76.2 passes with a % of 89..Ward Prowse at 43.8 and 88,8%.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Interesting to hear he’s losing the ball less than most by being tackled or miscontrols. That’s the exact opposite of what you’d infer from his critics on here
I don't think it is. He has good technique and relies on quickly going for high-risk/high-reward passes. He has the technical ability to successfully pull that off before most defenders can tackle him. The big question just is, will his idea work?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I honestly think Bruno Fernandes' stats on his FBref page illustrate the player he is pretty well: https://fbref.com/en/players/507c7bdf/Bruno-Fernandes

He's a creative freak who values chance creation above pretty much everything else. He gets on the ball a lot, he attempts to play the ball forward a lot, and because of that his expected assist levels are sky high. He is top tier percentile in these areas.

With the above in mind, he has terrible ball retention and passing accuracy.

He is a below par dribbler/carrier of the ball, opting to pass rather than take players on in isolated areas of the field.

He has marathon runner level stamina and endurance, and as a result his defensive stats in contrast to other attackers are pretty mad.

Depending on what you seek in an attacking midfielder, you will either value Bruno as one of our best players (chance creation, doggedness, endurance etc.), or someone who is a big flaw (inability to play a calmer game, retain the ball a little better to sustain attacks rather than all or nothing plays, show more composure etc.).

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Is it? Isn't most of the negative stuff aimed at Bruno based on when/where he goes for the high risk passes, not reading the flow of the game, rather than him miscontrolling the ball and getting tackled?

Passing wise, he averages 54,7 passes per match with a pass completion % of 78,4. Ødegaard has 52,5 and 86,9%. Maddison is a lot less on the ball with "only" 44,5 passes and a completion of 85,1 Pascal averages 76.2 passes with a % of 89..Ward Prowse at 43.8 and 88,8%.
The criticism of Bruno is invariably to do with losing possession.

Ward Prowse is a strange choice for a comparison. Who is Pascal?

Lyng

I honestly think Bruno Fernandes' stats on his FBref page illustrate the player he is pretty well: https://fbref.com/en/players/507c7bdf/Bruno-Fernandes

He's a creative freak who values chance creation above pretty much everything else. He gets on the ball a lot, he attempts to play the ball forward a lot, and because of that his expected assist levels are sky high. He is top tier percentile in these areas.

With the above in mind, he has terrible ball retention and passing accuracy.

He is a below par dribbler/carrier of the ball, opting to pass rather than take players on in isolated areas of the field.

He has marathon runner level stamina and endurance, and as a result his defensive stats in contrast to other attackers are pretty mad.

Depending on what you seek in an attacking midfielder, you will either value Bruno as one of our best players (chance creation, doggedness, endurance etc.), or someone who is a big flaw (inability to play a calmer game, retain the ball a little better to sustain attacks rather than all or nothing plays, show more composure etc.).
This is pretty spot on.

All of the above also tells you how to use him well. He needs to have a balanced and composed midfield behind him. Ask him to do a central midfield job and you will get a disastrous result.
Give him a good balanced, and defensively sound midfield to work with and he will be a great asset.

Lyng

I am guessing Pascal Groß but given he is a very different player and has a very different job for Brighton I dont know why he is mentioned.

NotChatGPT

Brownfinger
....By too often opting for the low % pass in the wrong areas of the pitch.

It seems a bit weird to boil everything down to losing possession and then pretending that the criticism is bullshit because he rarely loses the ball due to miscontrolling it and/or being tackled. Why not focus on what's actually being written?

I mentioned Ward Prowse and Pascal Groß because they're on the list of top 10 chances created. Dominik Szoboszlai averages 52.2 passes per match, 87,5%

I am guessing Pascal Groß but given he is a very different player and has a very different job for Brighton I dont know why he is mentioned.
I mentioned Ward Prowse and Pascal Groß because they're on the list of top 10 chances created. Dominik Szoboszlai averages 52.2 passes per match, 87,5%

NotChatGPT

Brownfinger
This is pretty spot on.

All of the above also tells you how to use him well. He needs to have a balanced and composed midfield behind him. Ask him to do a central midfield job and you will get a disastrous result.
Give him a good balanced, and defensively sound midfield to work with and he will be a great asset.
Yes, but i still think he needs to overall be more conservative with his passing and decision making, nor do i understand why it's something he seems incapable of in a situation where we need to put him in more of a central midfield role.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
....By too often opting for the low % pass in the wrong areas of the pitch.

It seems a bit weird to boil everything down to losing possession and then pretending that the criticism is bullshit because he rarely loses the ball due to miscontrolling it and/or being tackled. Why not focus on what's actually being written?
I think you need to follow your own advice. Because you've misrepresented my last few posts.

They’re still crappy comparisons. They play different positions. Ward Prowse has fantastic dead ball delivery, which explains the chance creation but isn’t expected to create in open play. That's not his role in the team. Why did you specifically choose the two of them, out of all the other players who were in the top 10?

NotChatGPT

Brownfinger
I think you need to follow your own advice. Because you've completely misrepresented my last few posts.
How so?

They’re still crappy comparisons. They play different positions. Ward Prowse has fantastic dead ball delivery, which explains the chance creation but isn’t expected to create in open play. That's not his role in the team. Why did you specifically choose the two of them, out of all the other players who were in the top 10?
I've mentioned 5 players on the list that are more relevant to compare with. What is the ratio of Ward Prowses chance creations in open play vs dead balls

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I said him losing the ball relatively infrequently is the opposite to what you think from the criticism on here, which consistently focuses on losing possession. I didn’t say it was the only thing he gets criticised for. In fact there are very few things he doesn’t get criticised for.

I've mentioned 5 players on the list that are more relevant to compare with. What is the ratio of Ward Prowses chance creations in open play vs dead balls
You mentioned two players that play the same position/role as Bruno and two that don't. It was your decision to include two that don't which I find strange.

Is that ratio question rhetorical? Are you trying to argue that Ward Prowse's dead ball excellence isn't the main reason he makes that top 10?

justsomebloke

That is part of the explanation, but it is mostly due to having the worst completion% in the squad. He completes 45 passes/90, less than Eriksen (49), Shaw (52), Casemiro (50) and Wan-Bissaka (47). And I've not looked at the CBs or Onana.

Second para, not looked comprehensively at that, but at least he's better in those categories than Ødegaard. But I agree, that contradicts what a lot of people seem to think.

United888

Bruno has similar assets and weakness like Thomas Muller, both don’t have dribbling ability and pace but they work hard, intelligent off the ball, and has ability to make killer pass and score goals. If Muller can play in possession based team like Bayern, including playing in Pep’s team then Bruno also can. We need to have proper playmaking behind him and simplify Bruno’s game. If I’m the manager, I will tell Bruno that I want you to be one of my main man to score lot goals and focus more on link up play and running into space.

But to do so, we need a creative wingers who can dribble, pass and cross like what Bayern have. The issue here is that Garnacho and Rashford aren’t in the category of wingers who can pass and cross to supply service to Bruno and Hojlund.

Garnacho is still young so he can still develop his game, which leaves us with either we get rid one of Rashford or Bruno. Bruno can get the best out of Rashford by playing in counter attacking team but in possession based team to go toe to toe with top teams, we cannot have both players IMO.

lost7

Bruno has similar assets and weakness like Thomas Muller, both don’t have dribbling ability and pace but they work hard, intelligent off the ball, and has ability to make killer pass and score goals. If Muller can play in possession based team like Bayern, including playing in Pep’s team then Bruno also can. We need to have proper playmaking behind him and simplify Bruno’s game. If I’m the manager, I will tell Bruno that I want you to be one of my main man to score lot goals and focus more on link up play and running into space.

But to do so, we need a creative wingers who can dribble, pass and cross like what Bayern have. The issue here is that Garnacho and Rashford aren’t in the category of wingers who can pass and cross to supply service to Bruno and Hojlund.

Garnacho is still young so he can still develop his game, which leaves us with either we get rid one of Rashford or Bruno. Bruno can get the best out of Rashford by playing in counter attacking team but in possession based team to go toe to toe with top teams, we cannot have both players IMO.
Comparing Muller to Bruno is an insult to the German

justsomebloke

Not very good at dribbling, keeping the ball under pressure, massive flaw
Lots of great players, and particularly central midfielders, aren't good at dribbling. Not a big problem. And in my view it's simply inaccurate to say he's not press-resistant, he clearly is.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Lots of great players, and particularly central midfielders, aren't good at dribbling. Not a big problem. And in my view it's simply inaccurate to say he's not press-resistant, he clearly is.
I never said he was not press resistant, although he does not excel here by the way. And non of the top players at the 10 position have issues under pressure with the ball in the final third because they use their dribbling to by time. Its a key asset in the position for keeping the ball and waiting for the opening.

justsomebloke

I never said he was not press resistant, although he does not excel here by the way. And non of the top players at the 10 position have issues under pressure with the ball in the final third because they use their dribbling to by time. Its a key asset in the position for keeping the ball and waiting for the opening.
Okay, if by "keeping the ball under pressure" you do not mean "press resistant", what do you mean? Also, what has dribbling got to do with "keeping the ball and waiting for the opening"? As far as I know, dribbling is moving past a defender with the ball?

El Jefe

Bruno is not press resistant though, that’s one of his biggest criticisms, strange to say he is. It’s one of the biggest reasons why he gets played out of big games because the better midfielders he’s up against can mark him out of the game or force him to make mistakes

It’s true you don’t need to be a dribbler to be press resistant but if you can’t dribble your first touch and passing has to be immaculate, see Scholes, Kroos or Mata. Other non dribbling press resistant players can use their strength in holding off players to achieve this like Jon Obi Mikel and even then you still have to have great short passing, Rodri is in this category too.

Bruno doesn’t have the strength or short passing to be a press resistant player, his good first touch isn’t enough. He knows it himself which is why if he’s marked tightly he’s giving up the ball immediately and usually for a riskier pass.