Bundesliga 19/20

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
If they somehow manage to restart the Champions League then Bayern have to be at least co-favorite
Hasn't it already been leaked that it would be in August? Aulas, the president of Lyon said his team's CL match against Juventus is scheduled for August 7th.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Just took at a look at Lewandowski's stats and they're insane. For the past five seasons he has scored:

2015/16: 42 in 51
2016/17: 43 in 47
2017/18: 41 in 48
2018/19: 40 in 47
2019/20: 43 in 37 :eek:

Yet at the same time, he seems to get no adulation as one of the world's best. He's never in the top 3 for the Balon d'or, for example.

I know he plays for Bayern in a one horse league but it seems a little unfair.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Just took at a look at Lewandowski's stats and they're insane. For the past five seasons he has scored:

2015/16: 42 in 51
2016/17: 43 in 47
2017/18: 41 in 48
2018/19: 40 in 47
2019/20: 43 in 37 :eek:

Yet at the same time, he seems to get no adulation as one of the world's best. He's never in the top 3 for the Balon d'or, for example.

I think the reason is that he hasn't won the UCL, or even reached the final. Over the previous years, he has lacked goals in the latter stages that does give the impression that he doesn't perform in the biggest matches. That being said, this season he's become a different animal, decimated Spurs and Chelsea away from home. Bayern really looked like one of the favourites this season.

Being in the top 3 in the Balon Dor is difficult, the top 2 are always Ronaldo/Messi and the 3rd spot is usually reserved for fellow UCL winners. Think few people doubt he's been the best striker in the world for the past 2-3 years though.

Swarm

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I think the reason is that he hasn't won the UCL, or even reached the final. Over the previous years, he has lacked goals in the latter stages that does give the impression that he doesn't perform in the biggest matches. That being said, this season he's become a different animal, decimated Spurs and Chelsea away from home. Bayern really looked like one of the favourites this season.

Being in the top 3 in the Balon Dor is difficult, the top 2 are always Ronaldo/Messi and the 3rd spot is usually reserved for fellow UCL winners. Think few people doubt he's been the best striker in the world for the past 2-3 years though.
He played the final in 2012 with Dortmund.

romufc

I think it mostly comes down to CL. To be able to win the Balon d'or the club needs to go far in the CL.

If you look at league form only, players like Immobile have been putting up the numbers with no recognition.

Pep's Suit

If they somehow manage to restart the Champions League then Bayern have to be at least co-favorite
BuLi ends on last June weekend, no? If CL restarts in August then Bayern wouldn't play any competitive game for a month or so.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
BuLi ends on last June weekend, no? If CL restarts in August then Bayern wouldn't play any competitive game for a month or so.
That is a big worry while EPL and Spanish teams will play till August and be match fit

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

This one is making the rounds on Twitter.

As a reminder: unlike other clubs Schalke did not pay back their fans the share of their (season) ticket fee that was affected by Covid-19 "ghost matches", but instead gave them the option to relinquish their claim in exchange for a jersey or to be compensate in form a fan shop voucher or to have the sum in question discounted from next season's ticket price.

Apparently you can have the money remaning on that voucher payed out from January 2022(!) onwards.
The document in the tweet is a hardship case application, where fans are asked to state (and prove if possible) why they should get (their own money) payed out before that date. They ask for "precise information", so they can handle these applications "fair and consitently within the club family".

In the replies is a guy who claims that his application has been denied by the head of customer service after he was unwilling to disclose his (private) information.

Makes you wonder how fragile their finances have to be for them to treat their own fans like that.

kirk buttercup

Werder Bremen aren't great in the air. I know they have had injuries but they are one of the big clubs in the Bundasliga how the hell are they in this position . Will be sad to see them relegated

PedroMendez

Acolyte

This one is making the rounds on Twitter.

As a reminder: unlike other clubs Schalke did not pay back their fans the share of their (season) ticket fee that was affected by Covid-19 "ghost matches", but instead gave them the option to relinquish their claim in exchange for a jersey or to be compensate in form a fan shop voucher or to have the sum in question discounted from next season's ticket price.

Apparently you can have the money remaning on that voucher payed out from January 2022(!) onwards.
The document in the tweet is a hardship case application, where fans are asked to state (and prove if possible) why they should get (their own money) payed out before that date. They ask for "precise information", so they can handle these applications "fair and consitently within the club family".

In the replies is a guy who claims that his application has been denied by the head of customer service after he was unwilling to disclose his (private) information.

Makes you wonder how fragile their finances have to be for them to treat their own fans like that.
Is this real? Its hard to believe anyone would write the bold sentence (maybe I am just paranoid when it comes to social media).

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Is this real? Its hard to believe anyone would write the bold sentence (maybe I am just paranoid when it comes to social media).

They issued an apology, not for asking fans to write up the of struggles of their lifes if they want to have a shot at getting their money back, but for how they phrased it. I've also read an outraged statement from one of their fan representatives. I'm wary of random stuff on Twitter as well, but things point toward this being genuine.

Last edited:

PedroMendez

Acolyte

They issued an apology, not for asking fans to write up the of struggles of their lifes if they want to have a shot at getting their money back, but for how they phrased it. I've also read an outraged statement from one of their fan representatives. I'm wary of random stuff on Twitter as well, but things point toward this being genuine.
I am not really surprised, that Schalke is barely scrapping by and imprudent enough to somehow try to keep the money from their fans. They already did their "Fan-Anleihe" scheme, but that is just sad. Even the apology sounds disrespectful. Hopefully the go down soon.

Blackwidow

They actually acted within law. https://www.verbraucherzentrale.de/...egen-corona-abgesagt-werden-ihre-rechte-45416

Pep's Suit

Werder Bremen aren't great in the air. I know they have had injuries but they are one of the big clubs in the Bundasliga how the hell are they in this position . Will be sad to see them relegated
I like Werder a lot but they were so close for how many seasons? This was always happening rather sooner than later.

kirk buttercup

I like Werder a lot but they were so close for how many seasons? This was always happening rather sooner than later.
I agree. I'm just surprised for a club that is placed 2nd in the all time Bundasliga table only behind Munich and above Dortmund that they have struggled for so long . I think this time it really is curtains for them. I do wonder where it has gone so wrong for a club this size.

Pep's Suit

I agree. I'm just surprised for a club that is placed 2nd in the all time Bundasliga table only behind Munich and above Dortmund that they have struggled for so long . I think this time it really is curtains for them. I do wonder where it has gone so wrong for a club this size.
If I remember right their expensive transfers didn't work and then in 2012 they sold / released like literally their 10-12 most experienced players and since that they're trying to rebuild.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I never said they made up their own law, but I think as a club you have to be really stupid or all but bankrupt to resort to this, especially when your management has already been alienating fans for years.

I mean what kind of sums are we talking about really? Time for some deep mathematical analysis:
Schalke sold 44000 season tickets
they had already played 13 out of 17 homes matches with their fans present
Say their average season ticket price is €500.

44,000 * 4/17 * 500€ = 5,176,470€

And the number of fans who actually ask for their money back right now (as opposed to the ones who gave up their claim for a special jersey, spend the money in the fan shop or on their next season ticket) will be much lower than 44000.

The problem with that question is that they actually aren't a club "that" size.
E.g. their stadium, even after being upgraded a decade ago, only holds attendances of 41k, which is basically tiny for a club that has been around for so long.
They announced a record revenue of €157m for last season, including player sales (€26m according to TM numbers that year). Their rivals Hamburg announced €126m / around €100m without transfers. After spending that year down in the second division.

Last edited:

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

Hoffenheim just sacked their coach. Seems a bit random, their form was pretty bad, but they seemed to have turned that around recently and 7th place seems to be about their level.

.mica

Supports
Dortmund
Now where the title-race is somehow officially over, it seems that BuLi-watchers can only focus on things like witness the relegation of Bremen, seeing Schalke struggling with its finances, and all the other little attractions the BuLi always offers.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
https://www.ruhr24.de/s04/schalke-0...-schneider-gelsenkirchen-s04-zr-13792461.html

Schalke's supposed to do list. The site I've linked is clickbait, but the pay-walled source they copied from is a relatively reliable local paper.

On top of Nübel and their loanees (Todibo, Kenny, Gregoritsch) they are supposedly also looking to offload Nastasic (I assume because he is still on CL wages), Burgstaller (wages too high for a thoroughly mediocre player) and they want to loan out Schubert (who was signed this season to be built up as Nübel's successor) and are willing to let Stambouli's and Caligiuri's contracts expire if they don't take "significant" pay cuts.

They also have a loan army of flopped signings Insua, Mendyl, Rudy, Bentaleb, Uth, Skrzybski and Teuchert as well as Fährmann (who used to be their No1 keeper and could turn out to return as a budget option) and youth player Carls.
Rudy, Bentaleb and Uth in particular are listed as mandatory sales, because of their wages. They even write that while the buy option that Cologne have for Uth is above the previously reported €10m and he has been doing quite well for them, Schalke are reportedly actually willing to give them a discount.

They also write that Schalke want to build a team around Kabak, Mascarell (too bad he's always injured half the season), Serdar and Harit (too bad he's always going missing half a season) and would have to sell one of them if they want to do more than a little business in the summer in terms of purchases (GK, RB and ST are mentioned).

They reiterate that they are still planning with David Wagner for next season, unless the club takes a total dive in the remaining four games (12 games in a row without a win don't count as such I suppose).

Last edited:

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
They reiterate that they are still planning with David Wagner for next season, unless the club takes a total dive in the remaining four games (12 games in a row without a win don't count as such I suppose).
They are not a serious club. Any serious club would have fired Wagner long ago. What is his attacking plan?

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
https://metro.co.uk/2020/06/09/arse...rn-munich-bundesliga-premier-league-12825858/

Interesting as I think he's the first German who's actually come out and said what many people think... Bayern seem to keep attracting the German players though - does anyone think this might stop if things don't change?
So what is his point and what can be done to fix it? Its either other clubs step up their standards or Bayern step down theirs. Bayern did that with Kovac hiring though and our rivals still blew good leads midpoint in the league

Blackwidow

https://metro.co.uk/2020/06/09/arse...rn-munich-bundesliga-premier-league-12825858/

Interesting as I think he's the first German who's actually come out and said what many people think... Bayern seem to keep attracting the German players though - does anyone think this might stop if things don't change?
This season was pretty open until the BVB-Bayern match.
I am sure we would not have this talks if Dortmund or Leipzig would lead the league by 7 points.

All the German players Bayern got in the recent seasons weren't really top shelf when Bayern got them - but all of them made big steps forward at Bayern.

(the exception might be Hummels, but he is a different story and he is back in Dortmund)

Thanks to Chelsea - and thanks to Brexit:

Last edited:

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
This season was pretty open until the BVB-Bayern match.
I am sure we would not have this talks if Dortmund or Leipzig would lead the league by 7 points.

All the German players Bayern got in the recent seasons weren't really top shelf when Bayern got them - but all of them made big steps forward at Bayern.

(the exception might be Hummels, but he is a different story and he is back in Dortmund)

Thanks to Chelsea - and thanks to Brexit:

He was born in Germany though, correct?

Blackwidow

He was born in Germany though, correct?
Yes. Mother German, father Nigarian. But his mother went to Southampton to study and during that year Chelsea saw him. Bayern acquired him and Bright Arrey-Mbi from Chelsea last summer.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
This should be dead and buried, but we let Frankfurt live to fight back in the second half.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

I wonder how long he will go on, would probably even survive another relegation. Its nice to see such consistency is still possible these days.

I also think the Twitter thread could be interested for foreign people who perhaps don't get why he is such a respected figure in German football.

PedroMendez

Acolyte

I wonder how long he will go on, would probably even survive another relegation. Its nice to see such consistency is still possible these days.

I also think the Twitter thread could be interested for foreign people who perhaps don't get why he is such a respected figure in German football.
Freiburgs managers since 1991:
- 1991 - 2007: Volker Finke
- 2007 - 2011: Robin Dutt (+5 month of Marcus Sorg as interim; but he already worked for the club)
- since 2011: Christian Streich

Is there any other club with less appointments in this period?