Bundesliga 19/20

JuliaScalaR

Supports
noone in particular
To all the posters complaining about the ref in the Dortmund match:

The call is correct. This is not about the ref, but about the rules. They explicitly state that you are not allowed to use a hand/arm in order get to a goal scoring opportunity (or even score a goal).
If the same situation happened in midfield this would not have been ruled a foul.

Still a shame the goal didn't count. It just seems unfair to punish a player for having an arm.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Aw man, no Davies. I was hoping for some serious meep meeping today.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Good to see Zirkzee starting for Bayern today. I’m always interested in these young strikers from countries who desperately need a striker to knit the generation together. The Dutch could do with a proper class 9 to go with what they have coming through now. Hopefully he can be an option.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
What the hell are you talking about? :lol:
It's not a good team. It lacks balance. Too many young players thrown in as gimmicks.

Will not win trophies. The opposition is too strong and doing just as well developing young players.

Swarm

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
It's not a good team. It lacks balance. Too many young players thrown in as gimmicks.

Will not win trophies. The opposition is too strong and doing just as well developing young players.
Alrighty, I'm not here to mindlessly stand up for my team, I am just wondering what exactly the scope of your statement is and what you base it on. What do you think the ambition of the team is and where do you believe they fall short? There is plenty to criticize but I am just curious where you see the deficiencies and how exactly they are "lucky" to play to their strengths or the weaknesses of their opposition (aimed at your complaint BL teams are not properly defending high balls).

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Good to see Zirkzee starting for Bayern today. I’m always interested in these young strikers from countries who desperately need a striker to knit the generation together. The Dutch could do with a proper class 9 to go with what they have coming through now. Hopefully he can be an option.
Im putting my hope on Malen and Boadu personally, but Im very interested to see Zirkzee for a whole game.

I swear to God though, the next pundit calling him the new Gullit should be fired. It's the hair,that's where the similarities stop.

If only he were the new Gullit..

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Julian Brandt still on the pitch...

I wonder what Favre sees in him... he has been almost entirely useless the whole match, lethargic, immobile and loses the ball so frequently...

Safe to say Liverpool dodged a bullet?
Is this the only game you've seen him in? Since the season restarted he's played a key part in most of Dortmund's goals.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Im putting my hope on Malen and Boadu personally, but Im very interested to see Zirkzee for a whole game.

I swear to God though, the next pundit calling him the new Gullit should be fired. It's the hair,that's where the similarities stop.

If only he were the new Gullit..
Malen and Boadu are both doing well. I’m just looking at Zirkzee differently because he’s at Bayern frankly, not in the Dutch league. If he becomes a regular striker for them you would have to think he’ll be in poll position.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Malen and Boadu are both doing well. I’m just looking at Zirkzee differently because he’s at Bayern frankly, not in the Dutch league. If he becomes a regular striker for them you would have to think he’ll be in poll position.
Yeah if he breaks through he will be the chosen one for sure. If Lewandowski stays I cant see it happening though.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Alrighty, I'm not here to mindlessly stand up for my team, I am just wondering what exactly the scope of your statement is and what you base it on. What do you think the ambition of the team is and where do you believe they fall short? There is plenty to criticize but I am just curious where you see the deficiencies and how exactly they are "lucky" to play to their strengths or the weaknesses of their opposition (aimed at your complaint BL teams are not properly defending high balls).
I think what is being got at is how they are a “FIFA team”. They are everyone’s second favourites because they have the big name youth and the FIFA crowd love that. You just need to look at how much Sancho is mentioned around here.

The fact is though, that in recent years, they have set themselves up as the team where you either a) go to make your name (Sancho, Haaland, Zagadou) or b) return to after your peak or failed move elsewhere, or you’re a journeyman to start with. (Hummels, Gotze, Witzel). There are obviously exceptions to this and those players could be classified as those not quite good enough for the giants of Europe.

As such a big club with a massive fan base and flashy names, people tune in expecting to see a proper rival for Bayern to make the league more exciting. What we get in reality is a team that is constantly in transition and relies on young players, who, while exciting at times, will more often than not lack consistency.

I sympathize because it is a valid route for a team that doesn’t have the financial muscle to compete with a giant like Bayern, but at the same time, it has placed Dortmund firmly in the position of “selling club”, and means that players like Haaland can’t spend 6 months there before very real discussion of their next club is taking place.

Their challenge, therefore, isn’t a serious one to Bayern, who have a squad of world class players at their peak and only ever sell players they don’t want anymore.

Last edited:

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Well, that was easy for Mönchengladbach.

Edit: Offside. Really hate these calls. It should be in favor of the attacker in such impossibly tight cases.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Not watching but not surprised to hear Sommer made a howler, no where near good enough to be a title challenging keeper

NYAS

To all the posters complaining about the ref in the Dortmund match:

The call is correct. This is not about the ref, but about the rules. They explicitly state that you are not allowed to use a hand/arm in order get to a goal scoring opportunity (or even score a goal).
If the same situation happened in midfield this would not have been ruled a foul.

Still a shame the goal didn't count. It just seems unfair to punish a player for having an arm.
Nah. The ref didn’t make the decision, his VAR buddies did, and on a matter of opinion (which is any decision that isn’t offside, basically) you can’t let a game of football be refereed by two people. It’s a joke, just like how the PL is currently using VAR. The question is why this guy was weak enough to do that when his Bundesliga colleagues look to be fairly unanimous in going to the monitor and making the decision themselves in similar situations.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Not watching but not surprised to hear Sommer made a howler, no where near good enough to be a title challenging keeper
Think he’s been a consistently top keeper for years personally. He’s always come across as quite dominant to me.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
He also had a really good save just seconds before his blunder.

Pavard makes it 1-1

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Cuisance should have restored our lead, but his header went wide.

Missing Lewandowski and Müller and resting Davies at once has taken around 70% of our attacking creativity.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Pavard evened out his balance with his assist for the 2-1.
The game was incredibly even on all statistics but the goals, in the end.

do.omb

Supports
Bayern Munich
Has Zirkzee touched the ball aside from that goal? Roy Makaay would be proud.
He scored ALL of his 4 goals this season with his first touch of the game. Yes, Roy would indeed be proud!

Pep's Suit

Bayern with that front four beating league's 4th placed team tells you everything you need to know about Bundesliga.

Swarm

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Fist off thanks for your reply adding some actual input as opposed to @Harry190 . I think we generally don't disagree at all but look at it from different perspectives.

I think what is being got at is how they are a “FIFA team”. They are everyone’s second favourites because they have the big name youth and the FIFA crowd love that. You just need to look at how much Sancho is mentioned around here.

The fact is though, that in recent years, they have set themselves up as the team where you either a) go to make your name (Sancho, Haaland, Zagadou) or b) return to after your peak or failed move elsewhere, or you’re a journeyman to start with. (Hummels, Gotze, Witzel). There are obviously exceptions to this and those players could be classified as those not quite good enough for the giants of Europe.
All of this is true and I don't necessarily mind it (with exceptions of course). That is just the reality of the market position of the club in europe. I believe they are doing quite well considering the circumstances.

As such a big club with a massive fan base and flashy names, people tune in expecting to see a proper rival for Bayern to make the league more exciting. What we get in reality is a team that is constantly in transition and relies on young players, who, while exciting at times, will more often than not lack consistency.
I guess this is the point I was getting at with the poster I was quoting before you answered. That expectation is just unrealistic and sets you up to be disappointed. The reality is that realistically with the budget differences and existing teams Bayern have to be expected to win 9 out of 10 seasons at least which I guess they just did. Dortmund strive to challenge but unless Bayern royally feck up there is just no way these days. And I guess we all have to live with that even though it means the Bundesliga does inch closer to being as shit as it is accused of being on this platform a lot.

I sympathize because it is a valid route for a team that doesn’t have the financial muscle to compete with a giant like Bayern, but at the same time, it has placed Dortmund firmly in the position of “selling club”, and means that players like Haaland can’t spend 6 months there before very real discussion of their next club is taking place.

Their challenge, therefore, isn’t a serious one to Bayern, who have a squad of world class players at their peak and only ever sell players they don’t want anymore.
You're even spelling it out yourself. Saying the challenge isn't "serious" or even saying Dortmund are not a "serious club", whatever that is supposed to mean, as the poster I was quoting said, just seems mean-spirited and unnecessary. I believe they were seriously trying and turns out they fell short. Can't blame anyone for trying to end the fecking boredom and I believe you can only in part blame them for doing so considering the financial reality of the league.

Blackwidow

Table after MD 14 and after MD 31 (not yet completed) - tells the story of the whole season!

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Table after MD 14 and after MD 31 (not yet completed) - tells the story of the whole season!
Last season it was same too, after MD 14, Dortmund was on 36 points and Bayern on 27 points, then second half was a complete different story.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Well if anyone was wondering how Mainz would react to Bremen posing the threat of direct relegation upon them: they just conceded after around 45 seconds.