Bundesliga 2016/17

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
I think it was again borderline to a red and he couldn't complain if he got sent off. It's pretty annoying how Ribery constantly lashes out whenever someone pulls his shirt or holds him. It usually looks much worse in the replay than it is, but it's such a bad habit. He got really lucky so far in his career that the referees let him get away with it every time.
For me not enough hand or elbow in Passlack's face for a red card.

But i agree with you that Ribery has a problem in situations like that......Dortmund (DFB-Pokal final), Inter Milan (Pre-Season) and now yesterday......and Ancelotti has warned him already after that match against Inter Milan......Ribery was surely in Ancelotti's office today.

Blackwidow

What I liked about yesterday is that even if this was just the preseason match that when lost does not really count - this World Cup winners, Copa winners, CL winners, hundred time German championship and Cup winners still seemed to be hungry getting even that trophy...

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
That is just something I noticed over the years. There is much more intensity in the Spanish or German Supercup then there is in the Community Shield. I have no idea why.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
What I liked about yesterday is that even if this was just the preseason match that when lost does not really count - this World Cup winners, Copa winners, CL winners, hundred time German championship and Cup winners still seemed to be hungry getting even that trophy...

It only "doesn't really count" if you don't win it.

You have to have that win everything mentality if you want to get to the top.

slig

Leave Klopp alone!!!
Supports
BVB 09
Would anyone say the Bundesliga is faster paced than the PL?
Of course it is. Its the pressing-liga. Since years more than half of the league are using this in different kinds and ways, but they do. While the PL never heard of things like this. Now the PL maybe will improve, with Klopp and Pep.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City

That's some Marco Reus mentality right there:cool:

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
What do we think about Thiago Alcantara? I still reckon he has it in him to become one of the best CM's. Not sure if this Bayern is the right team for him though.
He should go to Arsenal, that's the best fit for him. Always elegant and entertaining without being really effective and usually a no show in tough important games.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
He should go to Arsenal, that's the best fit for him. Always elegant and entertaining without being really effective and usually a no show in tough important games.
it is do or die this season. He offers something that other players in our squad don´t really have. If he can´t nail down his spot now, he´ll never be able to make it in Munich.

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München
I don't share the negativity about Thiago. I think he can play a great season, and it's always good to have players able to do spectacular stuff. I'm still very happy he's a Bayern player, and I'm looking forward to his contributions.

Needs to improve greatly, no doubt, can't have every stunning trick or dribble followed by an instance of completely messing up the easiest of passes or touches.

Zippy20

Supports
Hertha BSC
Who do you people think will get relegated this year?
For now the obvious choice is Darmstadt and i agree, but another team which is in alot of trouble at the moment is unfortunately my team Hertha. I think if they don't get a very good start, they will find themselves in a relegation battle with Frankfurt and Bremen.
I can't see Freiburg and Leipzig going down actually as there are some other clubs without any kind of momentum (like Hertha :().

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
Who do you people think will get relegated this year?
For now the obvious choice is Darmstadt and i agree, but another team which is in alot of trouble at the moment is unfortunately my team Hertha. I think if they don't get a very good start, they will find themselves in a relegation battle with Frankfurt and Bremen.
I can't see Freiburg and Leipzig going down actually as there are some other clubs without any kind of momentum (like Hertha :().
Can't see Hertha getting relegated with players like Ibisevic and Kalou.

Duda will be very useful as well.

Also don't think Werder will be involved in the relegation battle, but Darmstadt certainly look like one of the favourites for the drop.

Zippy20

Supports
Hertha BSC

Also don't think Werder will be involved in the relegation battle, but Darmstadt certainly look like one of the favourites for the drop.
Well, we lost against Bröndby in the EL playoffs and Dardai is unfortunately losing the dressing room now by dropping the captain Lustenberger. Kalou is in a bad patch of form for some time now and it really seems that Ibisevic is the only player capable of scoring some goals. Duda is out injured for the first matches and we need a good start.

I don't know about Werder, they bought some players, but none of them makes them significantly stronger than the players, who left.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München

And thank god if they do. It's one of those teams I really don't like having in the league, they add absolutely nothing.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
imo darmstadt, Ingolstadt < Frankfurt < Freiburg, Hertha, Bremen
Fair assessment, it'll be interesting to see how Ingolstadt do without their mastermind Hasenhüttl.
I'm sure @Sphaero would be gutted if Ingolstadt got relegated :angel:

NYC

What do we think about Thiago Alcantara? I still reckon he has it in him to become one of the best CM's. Not sure if this Bayern is the right team for him though.
Should return to Barcelona.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Thiago wouldn't be benched on barcelona.
He would. Right now he's still playing way below his capabilities most of the time so who would he replace at Barca? Iniesta? Rakitic?

NYC

He would. Right now he's still playing way below his capabilities most of the time so who would he replace at Barca? Iniesta? Rakitic?
Iniesta, most likely since Rakitic plays a very different role at Barcelona. At his age and point of his career, Iniesta shouldn't be playing week in and out. Also, Thiago was always better suited at barcelona.

Funny thing is that Thiago always gets ripped quite a bit, even though he has matured and even showed complete loyalty to Bayern. Last week's game is a perfect example, Thiago was hardly the worst player on the pitch, yet, is the first to get criticized and that stems all from being Spanish and part of the Pep coup. That being said, I think his pairing with alonso has a lot to due with it.

It could work better both ways, if Carlo decides to play 4-3-3 and have Alonso as the DLP, to use both Muller-Vidal as the cms and Robben-Ribery or Coman/Costa as the wingers.... Than, Thiago would start with Rakitic and Busquets.

Thing with Thiago is that he is probably the only player Barcelona regrets leaving.... However, Thiago always had a hot head when he was younger, especially, dealing with the whole Brazil-Spain situation and Barcelona. Now, at this age, he is ready to come back and is a huge upgrade to Rafinha or Gomes.

Edit: How has his potential not been filled?

When healthy with Pep, he was absolutely fantastic for Bayern. Was literally the best player on the team for a good chunk of his tenure at Bayern (when healthy). Last season, due to injuries, Pep had to change his formations quite a lot, to accommodate the injury bugged team.

Edit to reply to balu:

Thiago was most definitely the best player for good stretches when he was healthy. When he came back to the team, in his first season he was absolutely the best player on the team. Second season, he was injured for most of the year and even than, he had such stellar CL performances that season. Last season, he was one of the best players in the first half of the season. Than, Pep, kept playing 4-1-4-1 to accommodate the injury ridden team, which didn't work for Thiago in general.

THiago alcantara whoscored rating:

2015/16: 7:34 (CL: 8.0)
2014: 7. ( CL: 7.74)
2013: 7.9 ( 7.1)

Also, last season, pep changed the formation a ton to accommodate the injuries.

Last edited:

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Funny thing is that Thiago always gets ripped quite a bit, even though he has matured and even showed complete loyalty to Bayern. Last week's game is a perfect example, Thiago was hardly the worst player on the pitch, yet, is the first to get criticized and that stems all from being Spanish and part of the Pep coup. That being said, I think his pairing with alonso has a lot to due with it.
Please don't get me wrong, I love Thiago and I nothing would make me happier than seeing him fulfill his potential at Bayern but realistically he hasn't progressed at all in the last 3 years and looks rather more sloppy after his injuries. I want him to stay for AT LEAST one more year but if he doesn't deliver it'd be best to part ways. If it does comes to that, Barcelona would be the wrong step for him to take.

Zippy20

Supports
Hertha BSC
Thiago's main problem in my opinion is that his skillset doesn't completely suit his main positions or let's say his actual main position doesn't exist in either Guardiola's or Ancelotti's setup. He likes to dribble and risks should be taken only on the wing (especially when paired with Alonso because Alonso isn't someone who can often win the ball back quickly) but he isn't a winger.
On the other hand Thiago has a very good long ball in him on a good day so in my opinion he could be trained to play as a pure (kind of traditional) playmaker in a deeper position as well.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Are Darmstadt after having a disaster of a summer? I see they lost their manager...
Even last season their squad had "no right" to stay in the league on paper, because it mostly consistet of players who were signed from lower division clubs and the rejects of rather mediocre other clubs. They had a rather fortunate start to the season (e.g. taking 5 points off of Leverkusen, Dortmund and Schalke in away games) and finished the season two points above the relegation playoff spot.

I think that even if they had managed to keep everyone together they would've been relegation candidate #1, but in reality they lost their coach (who was voted coach of the season), they lost their keeper for €800k because he'd rather be Adler's backup, they lost one of their first choice CBs for €1.5m, they lost their first choice LW for free to cologne and they sold Sandro fecking Wagner, who kinda was their life insurance with his 14 goals, for €2.8m to Hoffenheim and as of now they have spent a whooping €1.25m total on new players.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Even last season their squad had "no right" to stay in the league on paper, because it mostly consistet of players who were signed from lower division clubs and the rejects of rather mediocre other clubs. They had a rather fortunate start to the season (e.g. taking 5 points off of Leverkusen, Dortmund and Schalke in away games) and finished the season two points above the relegation playoff spot.

I think that even if they had managed to keep everyone together they would've been relegation candidate #1, but in reality they lost their coach (who was voted coach of the season), they lost their keeper for €800k because he'd rather be Adler's backup, they lost one of their first choice CBs for €1.5m, they lost their first choice LW for free to cologne and they sold Sandro fecking Wagner, who kinda was their life insurance with his 14 goals, for €2.8m to Hoffenheim and as of now they have spent a whooping €1.25m total on new players.
Cheers, sounds like they're well screwed, shame.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Cheers, sounds like they're well screwed, shame.
Tbh I don't think most people will be bothered if they get relegated, since while everyone enjoys a solid "fairytale" story their style was more on the destructive side.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
When healthy with Pep, he was absolutely fantastic for Bayern. Was literally the best player on the team for a good chunk of his tenure at Bayern (when healthy). Last season, due to injuries, Pep had to change his formations quite a lot, to accommodate the injury bugged team.
He was never our best player outside of a few single games. And last season was actually the one when Pep didn't have to tinker with our midfield and attack because of injuries. And Thiago was healthy for most of the season. He was just awful regularly and rightfully benched.

Zippy20

Supports
Hertha BSC

Schipplock to Darmstadt on loan, could he be their new "Wagner"? I never really paid attention to the way he plays and whether he is any good or not.

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
You can't complain if you get sent off for that stamp. I thought the extreme reaction of the club with the desperate attempt to get it overturned in front of the CAS was done just to please Ribery and convince him to stay/extend his contract, because there wasn't the slightest chance for it to happen.
I was in the stadium back then and it looked like any ordinary foul, a mishap more than a deliberate attempt, i've sen yellows given for worse. It can be given but it was harsh.
He got a 3 match ban which is very harsh for a first red at the EU level, there are fewer matches and this is factored in usually. A 1-match ban would have been ok. 3 Matches CL is equivalent to a 5-6 matches ban on league level.

Ballon d'Or is a cheeky bid i agree. Still here wasn't really an outstanding player in that season, and he had a very good chance of being the decisive player in a final which Bayern would have had better chances to win with him. That counts.

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München
Mario Gomez back in the Bundesliga, even if only at Wolfsburg. Welcome back!!
Can't deny I'm happy to see him regularly again.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Mario Gomez back in the Bundesliga, even if only at Wolfsburg. Welcome back!!
Can't deny I'm happy to see him regularly again.

"Das Ziel ist Europa und wenn wir das nicht schaffen, werden wir uns in einem Jahr zusammensetzen. Ich hatte zunächst einen anderen Plan, bin jetzt aber megahappy. Das Ziel ist es, erfolgreich zu sein und nächstes Jahr europäisch zu spielen. Ich träume nicht von einem Topklub, sondern will hier erfolgreich sein."

So at his presentation he's basically saying that they aren't a top club and that they weren't really his first choice and that he's probably off next summer should they not qualify for EL/CL this season? :lol:
This must be a truly great summer for the guys who are actually their fans..

Blackwidow

No problem, these 2 people can comfort each other
In the local area they have enough fans. It is just the nature of the club as an original company club that makes them unattractive to the usual fan support. It is the same with Bayer Leverkusen.

I thought that interview was refreshing as Gomez did not start to talk the normal stuff like he already slept in Wolfsburg shirt and always dreamt of playing for Wolfsburg. At Wolfsburg he usually should be the starting no. 9 and they can pay him his wages and pay the transfer. That probably was the most important.

Zippy20

Supports
Hertha BSC
How does Feldhahn make the bench for Bayern? Surely there must be some youth player, who could get some experience by sitting on the bench for the first team?
I think he featured in pre-season friendlies already and i didn't understand why, does Ancelotti like/rate him in any way?

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
How does Feldhahn make the bench for Bayern? Surely there must be some youth player, who could get some experience by sitting on the bench for the first team?
I think he featured in pre-season friendlies already and i didn't understand why, does Ancelotti like/rate him in any way?
A lot of injuries and not great depth.

Blackwidow

He featured in preseason and did a good job. It is the cup and Bayern wants to win it - no time for experiments with youngsters who do not know the team.

The German clubs take the competition serious - it is not like in the EPL where the first cup rounds are the time to bring youngsters.