Bundesliga 2017/18

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
How is Martinez falling relevant? He was kicked, and kicking people like that is clearly a foul whether they fall or not...
Appreciate the explanation though, at least it will keep people from claiming that having a shot from the edge of a crowded penalty box is somehow an advantage over a penalty kick.
Because inconsequential contact is not a foul I guess. To me personally it's still a foul, but Zwayer's explanation sounds logical to me.

Pagh Wraith

Bayern is deflecting the blame for the loss on the ref, it is like 95% of the post-match conversation is only about him. How about talking about the shit performance by James, at fault for the first goal?

Or why the focus on a supposed handball 80m away from goal instead of the two defenders, who had the advantage in numbers and still looked like fools out there. And that was not Neymar or Dembele, that was the mighty Ante Rebic of 8th placed Frankfurt.

I am not saying it was not a horrible performance by the ref, it was. That should be no excuse though for a really bad Bayern performance in a „big“ match against a lowly rated opponent.
These are two completely separate things. Bayern's performance has zero relevance when discussing the ref. Just as the ref has zero relevance when discussing Bayern's performance. And the fact is that Bayern's 'bad' performance should have taken them to extra time (or at least ~85-90% of the time if we assume that is Lewandowski's conversion rate) according to the laws of the game.

thisISben

I have a question for Bundesliga followers.

Their Relagtion/Promotion structure is that whoever finished 3rd in Bundesliga II plays whoever finished 3rd bottom in the Bundesliga right?

Like right Wolfsburg are cruising vs Kiel to stay in the league, and I’m wondering how often the team fighting promotion actually win these ties?

Especially over 2 legs you’d think that 90% of the time the Bundesliga team would come out on top, despite their low finish. It seems harsh on the Promotion fighting team.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I have a question for Bundesliga followers.

Their Relagtion/Promotion structure is that whoever finished 3rd in Bundesliga II plays whoever finished 3rd bottom in the Bundesliga right?

Like right Wolfsburg are cruising vs Kiel to stay in the league, and I’m wondering how often the team fighting promotion actually win these ties?

Especially over 2 legs you’d think that 90% of the time the Bundesliga team would come out on top, despite their low finish. It seems harsh on the Promotion fighting team.
Don't have any numbers but my impressions are the same. The system gets much criticism in Germany because many think that the third team of the Bundesliga 2 deserves to get promoted directly and the bottom third of the first division should not have the chance to rescue themselves through the playoffs.

I guess it is good for the quality of the league (obviously Wolfsburg has a better squad than Holstein Kiel exemplarily) but you always have the feeling that underperforming teams dodge bullets through luck and underdogs don't get rewarded for their efforts.

RW2

Supports
Eintracht Frankfurt
Logical explanation and with all those divers around, it's good to have a referee standing up for the integrity of the game!
Precisely. . . Referees should be very wary of awarding injury time penalties because desperation (i.e. diving) from the team requiring the penalty is a major factor.

If they're not 100% sure then they should not be awarded.

RW2

Supports
Eintracht Frankfurt
Zwayer as a symbol for the integrity of the game. Who would have thought that?
Integrity?

Bayern Munich is run by a criminal tax dodger just out of prison.
He was running Bayern from a prison cell FFS.

Why should Zwayer be taking lessons from you guys?

Last edited:

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Don't have any numbers but my impressions are the same. The system gets much criticism in Germany because many think that the third team of the Bundesliga 2 deserves to get promoted directly and the bottom third of the first division should not have the chance to rescue themselves through the playoffs.

I guess it is good for the quality of the league (obviously Wolfsburg has a better squad than Holstein Kiel exemplarily) but you always have the feeling that underperforming teams dodge bullets through luck and underdogs don't get rewarded for their efforts.
Don't like the system either. Only advantage they gave is Bundesliga 2 team gets the second leg at home. I actually feel it would work better the other way, lower team gets first leg at home where they can grind out 0-0/1-0 and then big pressur on the Bundesliga club for second leg.

Anyway since 2010 I think 'Gladbach, Hoffenheim, Hamburg (2) and Wolfsburg (2) have all won them. Can only remember Hertha Berlin getting relegated so when a supposedly equal system produces six times out of seven the Bundesliga club surviving I think it needs to be looked at.

RW2

Supports
Eintracht Frankfurt
Don't like the system either. Only advantage they gave is Bundesliga 2 team gets the second leg at home. I actually feel it would work better the other way, lower team gets first leg at home where they can grind out 0-0/1-0 and then big pressur on the Bundesliga club for second leg.

Anyway since 2010 I think 'Gladbach, Hoffenheim, Hamburg (2) and Wolfsburg (2) have all won them. Can only remember Hertha Berlin getting relegated so when a supposedly equal system produces six times out of seven the Bundesliga club surviving I think it needs to be looked at.
Frankfurt also stayed up in 2016.

In fairness it's not an equal system . . . For one very simple reason - the difference in quality between BL1 and BL2 is too vast for the BL2 side to make up.

A better system would be for a straight 2 up, 2 down setup.

JuliaScalaR

Supports
noone in particular
Since the reintroduction of relegation ten years ago(there was a brief spell of relegation in the 1980s as well) 8 out of 10 Bundesliga clubs managed to avoid relegation. Only Hertha (in the notorious match vs Düsseldorf) and Cottbus failed to do so.
Basically relegation means a second chance for clubs that fecked up during the season. And as there's quite a gap between the two leagues, to me it's not very surprising that usually the Bundesliga clubs prevail.

As a side note: The relegation between 2nd Bundesliga and 3rd Liga shows a contrasting pattern with only 2 clubs from 2nd Bundesliga staying in the league and 8 going down. It seems that the gap between 2nd/3rd league is not as big as the one between 1st/2nd league.

Reactions: Sultan

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Integrity?

Bayern Munich is run by a criminal tax dodger just out of prison.
He was running Bayern from a prison cell FFS.

Why should Zwayer be taking lessons from you guys?
He shouldn't. No one should. Obviously.

I'm fairly sure that no one should take lessons from Zwayer about integrity either though.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

Favre finally confirmed by the club. Contract until 2020.

That's a pretty sad statistic :lol:

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
@RW2, you really need to calm down, mate. Threadbanned on a temporary basis — if you can't let things go after the ban expires, we'll have to issue a more lasting threadban, unfortunately - and that will extend to next season's Bundesliga thread as well.

saylon

Supports
Bayern Munich
It really showed how even with the VAR it's still difficult to create justice for all involved.
I think this is something that FIFA and the FAs should consider in future. Rules in detail kept changing on a regular basis in the recent years. Often it felt like that especially hand ball rules were changed after each season. With the introduction of VAR there are now new options to decide if a foul happened or not.

So maybe it would help everyone involved if some rules were changed with regard of VAR to make them easier/quicker to recognize on video / snapshot than merely on the field. I mean hard rules like "no widing of the upper body with hands" are way easier to decide and therefore more fairly applicable to every team than soft rules that force the refs to mind guess intentions of the players.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Apparently today's SportBild claims that Bayern are seriously thinking about letting Boateng go and paying up to €25m(!) for his replacement Kevin Vogt. Kovac must want him badly if that is true.

Meanwhile Frankfurt have seen the next step of their summer sale finalised with Dortmunds capture of Wolf. If reports that they will pay €12m just to make Jovic's moan permanent are true as well you have to wonder how much money they have left in the tank and perhaps fear that they are going to take a page out of Cologne's book.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Apologies if covered elsewhere but just seen Dortmund have signed Thomas Delaney for about 17m from Bremen.

Can get around the pitch and scores goals but not sure of his overall quality to play for them. If he came to England it would be Southampton or West Ham standard imo.

Also thought he was Irish before his first Denmark call up!

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal

Nagelsmann will leave Hoffenheim next year. Probably it will be RB Leipzig. Would be a big coup for them.

Hank S

Supports
Good football
I just hate it when not only the players but also the coaches get younger than yourself. What's next, the DoF, owner/president? :mad:

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
Ante Rebic the best Bundesliga player at the World Cup?

After he already won that prize at the DFB Pokal and traumatized Bundesliga defenders whenever he was fit, I think he is bound to take Europe by storm next season

Hank S

Supports
Good football
Ante Rebic the best Bundesliga player at the World Cup?

After he already won that prize at the DFB Pokal and traumatized Bundesliga defenders whenever he was fit, I think he is bound to take Europe by storm next season
Obligatory after tournament bid incoming I'm sure. Maybe even from Bayern? (Kovac new coach and so on)
And Hoeness and Rummenige love that shit. ;)

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

Dortmund confirmed the signing of Abdou Diallo from Mainz, Kicker claim the fee to be €28m - a ton of money for transfer between two German clubs, especially a CB.

Blackwidow

Peter Hermann told prior to the summer break that he will retire now together with Heynckes. We all hoped before that he will go on as assistant to Kovac.

Today it was announced that he will be back as assistant coach starting September 1st. He will already coach the guys that return from the World Cup (the Germans, Thiago and Lewy) from 25th to end of July when the others are on tour to the USA from July23rd to 30th.

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
Bayern joined the Pavard race and possibly is already a few paces ahead of everone else, which is allegedly the elite of europe. Rumour has it he will stay a season in Stuttgart and join in '19 when his contract allows a move for 35 Mio.

I really don't see why half the football world goes all of a sudden crazy. It isn't as if he's been playing behind a curtain the last two seasons. What do all those squad planners and assistants do all day long if they only notice a defender when he scores a goal at a major event? Do they get their ideas who is good and who isn't by reading the SUN front page?

but there you are, what do i know about that business.

Still, a CB pairing of Süle/Pavard sounds good. BTW i heard that Süle was clocked as Bayerns second fastest man, only beaten by Coman. Impressive...

Last edited:

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Bayern joined the Pavard race and possibly is already a few paces ahead of everone else, which is allegedly the elite of europe. Rumour has it he will stay a season in Stuttgart and join in '19 when his contract allows a move for 35 Mio.

I really don't see why half the football world goes all of a suddden crazy because a defender (!) pulled one (1) good goal, but there you are, what do i know about that business.

Still, a CB pairing of Süle/Pavard sounds good. BTW i heard that Süle was clocked as Bayerns second fastest man, only beaten by Coman. Impressive...
Not surprised, Sule seems to have slow acceleration due to his big body but can reach high speed over a long distance. Similar to Boateng at his peak.