Bundesliga Gameweek 26 | #Footback keep this thread football only (Covid free zone)

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Why would they use someone like McManaman? This is a chance for broadcasters as well to increase the value of their BuLi TV rights, especially in the absence of their usual PL business. There are quite a few obvious candidates as well. Steffen Freund (his bio also fit the Dortmund:Schalke match nicely) and Ballack for example know both football cultures and already did their share of punditry, if you're looking for a cheap option Jan Aage Fjortoft or Honigstein probably don't charge a lot either.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Lovely to see the usual people in the 'football should never be played!' camp coming here to whine that football is being played in Germany :lol:

These players are playing for the first time in around two months, without friendly matches inbetween, so ofcourse some will be a bit stiff and not fully fit. Saw the Dortmund v Schalke match and at times the intensity was lacking from both, which would be strange given that it is the fiercest derby in Germany, but I think that was also because Dortmund was so much better than Schalke that it looked really easy for them.

Watching the highlights of the other matches, you can see more intense play as they were more evenly contested matches. I think a couple of gameweeks will get the players more fit and suited to the current environment without fans. Ofcourse, you can't replace the atmosphere the fans provide but that can get used to after a few matches. One thing I would want them to do is remove restrictions, if there are any, on celebrations and allow them to hug. Shouldn't me much more added risk given that they are grappling with each other anyways.

Hopefully we'l be able to play out the whole season.

edcunited1878

Frankfurt have some nice link up going into the final 3rd, but then not good movement or finding space inside the box. And the their final ball is lacking. Also, their shape at the back when in possession is bad, so much space and players tracking back are out of position immediately after losing possession.

Gladbach have the midfield covered and Plea and Thuram are playing off each other well drifting wide but also getting behind Frankfurt backline. With simple one twos.

A lot of heavy touches by both teams, but they are playing their way back into fitness and acclimating to match level.

90 + 5min

Wow. Watched highlights now from other games. So many players breaking rules. Just watch Hertha goals. And DFL is not going to ban anyone? Amazing. German goverment must be really happy that they were presented documents so they would allow football. Same documents that are not being followed. Just so football could be played.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Why would they use someone like McManaman? This is a chance for broadcasters as well to increase the value of their BuLi TV rights, especially in the absence of their usual PL business. There are quite a few obvious candidates as well. Steffen Freund (his bio also fit the Dortmund:Schalke match nicely) and Ballack for example know both football cultures and already did their share of punditry, if you're looking for a cheap option Jan Aage Fjortoft or Honigstein probably don't charge a lot either.
Honigstein is in the studio. Hargreaves is the other pundit (from home via video link).

Guessing they're using their usual commentators because they're contracted and got nothing else to do so may as well use them.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
It was very much real football. Are you incapable of watching football that doesn't have the atmosphere of a CL knockout tie? Do you ever watch any live football that isn't professional football (in terms of the crowd aspect)? It's different, but it's absolute raw football with just the players playing the match. Top league quality, with random sunday league atmosphere.

At the end of the day, it just depends on what you watch football for, what you actually enjoy about it. If you enjoy watching football for the actual game going on on the pitch, then you'll enjoy this. If you don't care for football that isn't related to your club on a normal day, then you definitely won't care for random teams in a random league with no fans. Not sure why anyone would expect otherwise. If you literally never watch the Bundesliga and don't care about it, but then turn it on now because there is nothing else on, why would you expect to be super interested in it? It meant nothing to you then and it'll mean nothing now (not specifically you, just people who don't watch/follow these other leagues in the first place).

You asked questions and you answered them yourself to yourself.

I am quite capable of watching any kind of football and i watched Bundesliga before the lockdown so don't jump to conclusions.

It wasn't anywhere near top league quality and imho and others (see the comments) here it was so so boring to watch with a number of players not bothering to give their best from what i had previously seen in the Bundesliga.

If it meant a lot to you then i respect your opinion but beg to differ.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Some predictable posts with their predictable agendas in here already :lol:

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Wow. Watched highlights now from other games. So many players breaking rules. Just watch Hertha goals. And DFL is not going to ban anyone? Amazing. German goverment must be really happy that they were presented documents so they would allow football. Same documents that are not being followed. Just so football could be played.
It could very well be that Bayern have their power on their FA like someone in the PL.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Really nice to have football back. The players will need a little time to get their match sharpness back but I enjoyed watching the games today. The moaners on here can go do one!!

SilentStrike

Supports
Feyenoord
Enjoyable games so far. Not sure what all the fuss is about.

Maybe it's because women's football has been forced upon us in the Netherlands that I am somewhat used to football without atmosphere, but I am totally cool with watching it like this. Brandt was a joy to watch today!

edcunited1878

Good goal by Frankfurt. Nice to see up to 5 subs as a team clearly should have more urgency to chase the game more when up to half of your outfield players can be subbed.

GuyfromAustria

The fake crowd noises on German Sky are fantastic, no problem watching it this way for some time.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!

Maybe it's because women's football has been forced upon us in the Netherlands that I am somewhat used to football without atmosphere, but I am totally cool with watching it like this. Brandt was a joy to watch today!
Very diverse opinions today and that's how it should be.
We all see football from different perspectives.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
Cunha is the new Berbatov, only scores good looking goals

Santoryo

ripping the reward
:lol: Yup. One in particular with so many posts in here already. Think I’m gonna follow your method from the other thread and just not even bother engaging it.
I bet you they have their fingers crossed for anything to go wrong so they can spam this thread too.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

How does this work... you're forced to watch women's games on pain of death?

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
I watched a little but I don’t think BCD football works for me when it’s sides that I have no emotional investment in.
It was awful.
Football is nothing without the fans.

I'm really not sure why people that were on a bus together had to sit apart wearing masks in the stadium.

It was all very sterile and forced

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I watched a little but I don’t think BCD football works for me when it’s sides that I have no emotional investment in.
You could watch that Robben celebration from his corner goal against United on repeat for an hour or two to build up some hatred towards Bayern and then take it from there.

Atze-Peng

Dortmund Fan
I think many people underestimate the impact the entire situation had on the players psychology. I think it was obvious that plenty of players were still sorta holding back and struggling with the overall situation. Pretty sure the first games in the PL will be similary messy.

Give it 2-3 games so normality sets in and the quality of play will increase alongside it.

P.S. If you dislike football without fans, I recommend you going for some event-sports like american football where the game matters less and the event matters more.

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
Really enjoyed the Dortmund game. Apart from the first few mins when both sides, especially Dortmund, looked like they were treating it more like a training game. But of course thats understandable after such a long, unexpected and totally unique type of break.

I watched the Utd v Lask game which was one of the last games before the break and also BCD and didn't really enjoy it (nothing to do with the score of course!) so maybe this was just about being desperate for some football. Anyway I think we all have to try to adjust because unless something strange happens this will be it at least for the rest of the year.

Fair play to everyone in Germany who made this return happen. Hopefully the next round of testing doesn't throw up too many positives and it can keep going. Still not convinced the PL and more precisely England as a country is ready to follow suit but I hope I'm wrong. Great to finally get some football to watch instead of the groundhog day debates we've all been having on here.

Greck

Sky Germany offered a second audio track with stadium atmosphere accompanying the commentator.
Boy what a difference...i agree with the people on here, that completely without fans and chants it feels a little "soulless".

Did your TV station also offer an audio track with stadium atmosphere?
Needs to be the way going forward. Don't want to watch another event with golf atmosphere

Brightonian

Maybe lacked a little intensity but the actual quality was high. Extremely good passing triangles from dortmund.
I enjoyed the match but it was scrappy as owt. Misplaced passes, dawdling goalkeepers and CBs and rusty first touches all over the place from both teams. All completely to be expected of course after such a lay-off.

arnie_ni

Tried it for about 10 mins and couldn't get in to it. Same as the united lask game.

I can go down to my local rugby team that gets max 200 fans and i love the buzz and the atmosphere.

I guess watching sport live with minimal/no fans is just a different show to doing it through the TV

Bondi77

I had a look at the Dortmund game and some of the football was good.
I was a bit disappointed that Sancho never started but it was obvious they did not need him to deal with the opposition anyway,
Maybe next week!