By this time next week we could be out of all cup competitions

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I'm one of Ole's biggest enemies around here, but he needs to be judged once the team is complete.

As long as we play droos like MCT, Fred, Martial, James of course he won't be succesful.

But I do agree with the other posters. If our owners are not looking to back him this summer he should be released as his style and overall game plan is pretty dull.
You’re one of his enemies?! What did you do to him?

Falcow

Fair observation, we could know as early as next week if the season will be trophy less or not and it's still only March. Second also not guaranteed at this stage.

Ole and the players need to show up and prove themselves in these next few matches.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
This week is Ole's first real test.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
In case anyone doubts the extent of the anti-Ole agenda that runs wild on here, we now have threads created to criticise him for defeats that haven't even happened yet. We are literally post-dating criticism now.

K Stand Knut

It would be really bad. I'm of the opinion Ole needs to show progression in cups too because as it stands we have progressed in the league but regressed in the cups.

This trophyless run needs to end.

Anyway let's wait and see what happens
Care to explain the use of this word???

Im not sure how we can have regressed in any cup competitions that we are still in??

we got to the same point of the league cup as last season too.

either you don’t know what regression means or you’re just using the word because you think it sounds good and you want to put a negative slant on Ole and his ‘achievements’ at the club this season

Westerkerk

I love this post... this time next week I could have won the Euro Millions and p*ssed off to join an agricultural commune in the Outer Hebrides...

Let's just support the team.

Anyone that thinks we haven't improved under Ole is blind. Anyone who thinks we aren't still a work in process is equally blind. We're in two important cups and have exceeded most peoples (fans, rival fans, pundits) expectations in the league. We've done ok. If we continue to invest and develop in the areas we all know need developing, we'll continue to do better.

spiriticon

We definitely need to hire a manager who will not potentially go out of any cup competitions.

It's just ridiculous that us fans have to deal with this sort of uncertainty in our lives.

laughtersassassin

Care to explain the use of this word???

Im not sure how we can have regressed in any cup competitions that we are still in??

we got to the same point of the league cup as last season too.

either you don’t know what regression means or you’re just using the word because you think it sounds good and you want to put a negative slant on Ole and his ‘achievements’ at the club this season
Regressed compared to previous management not compared to himself. And no I don't prefer the previous management before you go mad.

This is a so far thing and am hoping it changes this season.

It's just a factual statement as we are on our longest barren run without a trophy post Ferguson.

The squad is good enough to be winning a trophy at least every second or third year. Especially when we are competing in Europa two years in the trot.

Important to get this monkey off our back this season. We have a better chance of winning a cup this season than next just by the fact we are in the Europa League.

So no I'm not putting a negative slant. I'm highlighting we are in our longest trophyless run. A regression from before.

This comment was based on the OPs hypothetical that we are knocked out next week which would be very disappointing. As I said this season isn't over yet and let's see what happens.

As Ole said we want to get to a final.

Raredaredevil

I hope this turns out to be a jinx thread. Anyway I think we will get knocked out by Milan but get past Leicester.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I'm one of Ole's biggest enemies around here, but he needs to be judged once the team is complete.

As long as we play droos like MCT, Fred, Martial, James of course he won't be succesful.

But I do agree with the other posters. If our owners are not looking to back him this summer he should be released as his style and overall game plan is pretty dull.
Why? Were you in line for the Utd job when he got it? Or is it you Jose?

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
I wouldn't even think about it

Oranges038

This time next week any of us could be dead.

Would you be happy to be alive but for Man Utd never to win a trophy as long as you live?

K Stand Knut

Regressed compared to previous management not compared to himself. And no I don't prefer the previous management before you go mad.

This is a so far thing and am hoping it changes this season.

It's just a factual statement as we are on our longest barren run without a trophy post Ferguson.

The squad is good enough to be winning a trophy at least every second or third year. Especially when we are competing in Europa two years in the trot.

Important to get this monkey off our back this season. We have a better chance of winning a cup this season than next just by the fact we are in the Europa League.

So no I'm not putting a negative slant. I'm highlighting we are in our longest trophyless run. A regression from before.

This comment was based on the OPs hypothetical that we are knocked out next week which would be very disappointing. As I said this season isn't over yet and let's see what happens.

As Ole said we want to get to a final.
Fair enough.

Depending on the circumstances, I wouldn't describe anything thus far as a regression, albeit if you're comparing it to the Fergie, then yes, we have regressed but that's a really unfair comparison.

Nothing that Ole has done so far has regressed us. I'd argue that he had progressed massively, unfortunately a lot of it is based on activities and changes that have taken place behind the scenes and below the first team.

Ole will undoubtedly be judged on his trophy haul at some point but there is every chance that we don't win a trophy this season, in fact, I'd go as far to say I'd be a bit surprised if we won a trophy this season. It won't mean that I want him to be replaced, it just means we have to take the next step, next season.

This squad is still not good enough or deep enough to compete on 4 fronts and it is a laughable that we have even tried to with the season being like it is

laughtersassassin

Fair enough.

Depending on the circumstances, I wouldn't describe anything thus far as a regression, albeit if you're comparing it to the Fergie, then yes, we have regressed but that's a really unfair comparison.

Nothing that Ole has done so far has regressed us. I'd argue that he had progressed massively, unfortunately a lot of it is based on activities and changes that have taken place behind the scenes and below the first team.

Ole will undoubtedly be judged on his trophy haul at some point but there is every chance that we don't win a trophy this season, in fact, I'd go as far to say I'd be a bit surprised if we won a trophy this season. It won't mean that I want him to be replaced, it just means we have to take the next step, next season.

This squad is still not good enough or deep enough to compete on 4 fronts and it is a laughable that we have even tried to with the season being like it is
Imo how I look at it is we Should win a trophy this season. We are good enough and we are one of if not the best teams in the Europa League.

But we HAVE to win a trophy next season.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
Losing any game, which happens, is never good but the manner of the defeat is something I would pay more attention to.

Raven

Weird post. Why exactly do you consider yourself an enemy of the manager?

theklr

Wouldnt be to negative when you look at the horrible draws we’ve had all over while still clinging on the 2nd place. Takes a brutal toll on the team over the long run when you barely can rotate at all. Is there any other team that has had as difficult fixtures as us in the cups? I doubt it

Lennon

Poch, Poch, Poch ... What's all the fuss about him? We want to replace Ole with a guy, who never one a thing at Spurs. We need to invest! That's for sure. 2 or 3 real top player can change so much ... This place here sometimes :houllier:

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
I would get rid of Ole if there was an obviously better candidate available but right now there isn't, Poch having gone to PSG. If Klopp were on offer I would certainly hire him instead.

Ole was never going to win the league and finishing second seems pretty good to me. But not a loto has really changed structurally since last season except the dippers exploded. And we are slightly less inconsistent.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
We've got the quality to do something, but seem to shit ourselves when it matters most. We quite rightly found ourselves top of our CL group after beating PSG and Leipzig pretty emphatically in the first 2 games, then shat the bed due to the pressure of it all. The same thing happened in the league - hauled ourselves to top spot, then immediately crumbled. It's almost like we lack confidence and feel like we don't deserve to be there. Like it's enough to just get there once and say we were top, then that's our job done - because we couldn't actually go on and win it right?

So the quality is there, we just need to sort our heads out. That doesn't come overnight, and I don't think sacking Ole now will help. Even if we crash out of the Europa league and FA cup in quick succession, we need to stick with it and let Ole finish what he's doing. Because if we do sack him and we go back to square one, I think we'll spend the next few years wondering if we were on the cusp of something.

theklr

We've got the quality to do something, but seem to shit ourselves when it matters most. We quite rightly found ourselves top of our CL group after beating PSG and Leipzig pretty emphatically in the first 2 games, then shat the bed due to the pressure of it all. The same thing happened in the league - hauled ourselves to top spot, then immediately crumbled. It's almost like we lack confidence and feel like we don't deserve to be there. Like it's enough to just get there once and say we were top, then that's our job done - because we couldn't actually go on and win it right?

So the quality is there, we just need to sort our heads out. That doesn't come overnight, and I don't think sacking Ole now will help. Even if we crash out of the Europa league and FA cup in quick succession, we need to stick with it and let Ole finish what he's doing. Because if we do sack him and we go back to square one, I think we'll spend the next few years wondering if we were on the cusp of something.
Fully agree with this, coping with pressure doesnt magically happen overnight - it is a process.

Deery

Dreary
We should just sack Ole now in case we go out of the cups I think it’s the only logical answer.

Robbo 7

If by some miracle we do go through both comps this week, can someone please guarantee that we can start another thread of similar ilk about the QF's and SF's? I would hate to see any positivity :wenger:

rotherham_red

It would be very disappointing but I would take 2nd this season as long as we are planning to invest properly in the summer and give him a chance to complete his project.

Next season, no less than a proper title challenge and a cup will be enough.

If we don’t have any intention of backing him in the transfer market this summer then we should be looking to bring in a manager who can raise a team greater than the sun of its parts.
Re the title challenge and cup - he needs the players for it.

Re your final point and raising a team to be greater than the sum of its parts, wouldn't you say that is what Ole has done? McTominay and Fred were seen as non-entities before Ole came in. Rashford and Martial were in and out of the team under Jose. Luke Shaw was a write off. Pogba similarly so. The only regulars from Jose's team who are still seen as viable first teamers are DDG and Lindelof. The rest have been marginalised or sold, the vast majority of whom were seen as crucial cogs of the Jose team who finished 2nd in 2017/18.

He's essentially got us into a standard top 4 team from the scraps of the Jose team who were 6th when he first joined. I'd say he's done a pretty decent job on raising the team's bottom level without the going into the market too much - Bruno, AWB, and Maguire being the only three bona fide first teamers he's brought in (I wouldn't add Cavani to that list cos his injury record is poor and it was known before he joined that he had these issues) - 8/11 of the first team are players who were already here, many of whom were seen as lost causes.

Giggsy13

I can’t believe some on here are dismissing the FA cup and Europa league. If we fail to win anything again, it will be 4 seasons without a trophy. Would all of you be happy with city winning another domestic treble? The limp dick responses to justify a club of our stature not winning a trophy, you absolutely hate to see it.

Taking a page out of the Ole in brigade, even the God and legend Sir Alex saw the importance of winning the “lesser” trophies to help build a winning mentality in the squad. In fact the FA cup win saved his job and he followed that up with a European cup winners cup win. The selective memory from some you is appalling. If we crash out of both competitions then it only raises the level of scrutiny on whether this squad has the mettle and mentality to win things. An FA cup or Europa league win could act as a spring board for a squad that needs to shed the bottler label.