By this time next week we could be out of all cup competitions

passing-wind

We don't impose ourselves as a team and because of the lack of identity in doing so we struggle in knockout competitions when the momentum is required to get going immediately. We have performed on an average basis throughout the season and these types of scenarios only suit a domestic league because it's a marathon not a sprint.

I'll be very surprised to see Solskjaer winning any cups here under his management. I think due to his style if you can call it that we have more chance at the league as opposed to KO competitions as a result.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Sorry, but that's a bit silly to be honest, as cup competitions have frequently been won by sides hugely inferior to United. Only City are currently better than us in England, and we've beaten them in the last week or so, hence we are good enough to win the FA Cup. We're also the highest rated side in the EL, which suggests we very much have a chance in that one. Would you say that Arsenal or Spurs might be good enough to win the EL?
"Silly" is a little unfair, it's just my opinion. Whilst I dont necessarily disagree with what you're saying, my concern is that we look run into the ground and are running on fumes at the moment, i think that showed against West Ham too as we looked short of ideas and whilst we missed a couple, hardly peppered their goal.

Lentwood

Which would represent yet another trophyless season.

How would this reflect on Ole? Would you be happy with Top 4 and no trophies?
This idea that teams need to win some tinpot trophy like a League Cup or a Europa League to progress and “learn how to win” is nuts. It’s another lazy soundbite that pundits trot out and has absolutely no basis in fact.

I couldn’t give a monkeys how we do in the Europa. We have bigger aspirations than that nowadays. Same with the League Cup. Pointless. We won both trophies under Jose and fat lot of good that did us!

It would be nice to win the FA Cup, sure, but how many have City or Liverpool won since 2010? I can’t think of many, yet doesn’t seem to have done them much harm.

Plus, the thread is stupid. You’re complaining/speculating about something that hasn’t happened.

Judas

Open to offers
This week is massive. It would be absolutely gutting if this time next week we're out of both cups, I want 2nd and a trophy.

It's so annoying these two big games are back to back, but its how it is at the moment.

For me, 2nd and a trophy would be a real step forward. This team can't continue losing out on winning something, its important for the mentality for this squad to get over the line in a competition.

I want us to win every trophy we're ever in contention for, always have, it won't change for me.

Giggsy13

I don’t expect us to win any trophies for the entire time Ole is here, so it’ll be shit, but unsurprising.
I’m an Ole skeptic, quite frankly we should all be, but I think that view is a bit extreme. There is potential in the squad and I think there has been some evidence that the team is capable of winning a big game or two, it just hasn’t been at the level expected for a club our stature. I say wait and see how the the two game go before jumping to that conclusion.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I’m an Ole skeptic, quite frankly we should all be, but I think that view is a bit extreme. There is potential in the squad and I think there has been some evidence that the team is capable of winning a big game or two, it just hasn’t been at the level expected for a club our stature. I say wait and see how the the two game go before jumping to that conclusion.
His in-game management is really really bad. His handling of Fred in the PSG game & his handling of the last 20 against Milan tell me everything I need to know. We’ll go on good & bad runs, but I just cannot see him winning a trophy.

OleBoiii

I don’t expect us to win any trophies for the entire time Ole is here, so it’ll be shit, but unsurprising.
Would you be willing to leave this forum if we win something while Ole is in charge?

My cousin generally likes to bet on the opposite of what he hopes for so that he "wins" no matter what. I on the other hand, like to double down :D

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Give me top 4 with 75 + points and that's a brilliant season. Ole deserves one more season with that improvement. We were on 66 points and a 10 point jump is huge.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Would you be willing to leave this forum if we win something while Ole is in charge?

My cousin generally likes to bet on the opposite of what he hopes for so that he "wins" no matter what. I on the other hand, like to double down :D
I wouldn’t leave but I’d post less because I use this forum to moan, if I want to banter or be positive I use my group chats. I hope he does prove me wrong, but I can’t see it. There’s a reason all rival fans are celebrating his new contract.

Greyfog

Supports
Enugu Rangers
In a week you guys beat City and West ham. Picked up points against Top 4 rivals yet you are looking forward to when you will be potentially out of 2 cups.

As a neutral, the Ole in and Ole out gang cracks me up

Smores

I said within 10pts and a trophy at start of the season. If we can't do either its not a successful season in my view, how far away just determines how bad it is.

Saying that top 4 and he keeps his job regardless of trophy. It should not be the same next season however.

K Stand Knut

I said within 10pts and a trophy at start of the season. If we can't do either its not a successful season in my view, how far away just determines how bad it is.

Saying that top 4 and he keeps his job regardless of trophy. It should not be the same next season however.
You honestly expected to turn a 30+ point deficit to a ten point deficit in one summer?? A summer that consisted of about one week of pre-season.

If you can honestly answer that question with a 'Yes', I'm going to call you a liar.

The fact that you wanted to close the gap to 10 points AND win a trophy indicates that you might be a bit over-optimistic and might need to have a bit of reality in your life. Hopefully Ole will deliver that bit of realism to you and might think more realistically in the future.

Would you have had a fit of rage with a trophy but finishing 11 points behind?

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
In a week you guys beat City and West ham. Picked up points against Top 4 rivals yet you are looking forward to when you will be potentially out of 2 cups.
It sounds like it should be a joke, but this is what is actually happening

el3mel

I don't know, I'm starting to feel quite optimistic about the Milan game. We just need one goal there to level things up. We really should be able to pull it out.

As for Leicester game I am not worried about it. We always do well against them. Though I don't think we will win the cup the end anyway.

Let's see what will happen.

el3mel

You honestly expected to turn a 30+ point deficit to a ten point deficit in one summer?? A summer that consisted of about one week of pre-season.

If you can honestly answer that question with a 'Yes', I'm going to call you a liar.

The fact that you wanted to close the gap to 10 points AND win a trophy indicates that you might be a bit over-optimistic and might need to have a bit of reality in your life. Hopefully Ole will deliver that bit of realism to you and might think more realistically in the future.

:lol: You mean teach him how to lower his expectations?

Hughes35

Odd thread......

Would be brilliant if we beat Leicester, and Everton somehow managed to beat City. I that happened, I'd really fancy us for the cup.

Could still finish the season second and with 2 cups. That would be a brilliant year........ I hope this is what is being said in the changing room.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I can’t believe some on here are dismissing the FA cup and Europa league. If we fail to win anything again, it will be 4 seasons without a trophy. Would all of you be happy with city winning another domestic treble? The limp dick responses to justify a club of our stature not winning a trophy, you absolutely hate to see it.

Taking a page out of the Ole in brigade, even the God and legend Sir Alex saw the importance of winning the “lesser” trophies to help build a winning mentality in the squad. In fact the FA cup win saved his job and he followed that up with a European cup winners cup win. The selective memory from some you is appalling. If we crash out of both competitions then it only raises the level of scrutiny on whether this squad has the mettle and mentality to win things. An FA cup or Europa league win could act as a spring board for a squad that needs to shed the bottler label.
The FA Cup stopped being a major trophy for clubs the day we withdrew from it to go to the World Club Championship.

We used to make fun of teams for being in the Europa League, never mind winning it.

Fergie only said nice things about the importance of winning the League Cup to make it seem like it mattered. Spurs won a league cup in 2008, where it it take them?

Smores

Whats with the passive agro with you Ole fanboys :lol:

That was far from a rare target at the start of the season. Largely because of the very reasonable assumptions that no team would get high 90s and our own 66pts itself was an underperfomance.

We've made bigger leaps, we were 24pts behind title winners Chelsea in 2017, 2018 we finished 11 above them. Heck we're doing it now with Liverpool, things swing.

Getting top 4 alone is not a good season for this club. We sack managers who don't get it, that should tell you it's the bottom.

Robbie Boy

I'm a glass half full kinda guy so I'm gonna go right ahead and say that by this time next week, we'll be top of the league. All ya'll can call me crazy but just wait until it happens...

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
I wouldn’t leave but I’d post less because ....
I stopped reading at this point and quoted back so there's a record of it.

As a neutral, the Ole in and Ole out gang cracks me up
Welcome to Redcafe. Please leave your common sense at the door as you enter

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
I think you’ll get through against Milan, but be beaten by Leicester.

And then draw Spurs in the EL quarter finals and have to play Mourinho-ball 3 times in 7 days in April!

bsCallout

Captain obvious.

Tough four games coming up in all comps, would be very good for us to put a good run together now.

Wouldn't surprise me if Pogba and Cavani have been kept back for this run-in.

wolvored

We will probably draw 0-0 to Milan and beat Leicester, then go out to City in the semi. Top 3 seems to be on course this season as long as we don't go on a downer if we are out the cups. Next season will be all important trophy wise as if we finish potless again then Bruno will be looking to leave

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
He needs to win on Thursday. After going out of Europe the way that we did, he quite simply needs to show that is is capable of beating lesser teams consistently.

If we go out of both cups at this stage, it would be all the proof I needed that we won’t win anything under Ole.

Giggsy13

The FA Cup stopped being a major trophy for clubs the day we withdrew from it to go to the World Club Championship.

We used to make fun of teams for being in the Europa League, never mind winning it.

Fergie only said nice things about the importance of winning the League Cup to make it seem like it mattered. Spurs won a league cup in 2008, where it it take them?
You’ve conveniently ignored the point I was making about Fergie’s first trophy as a United manager. Of course it matters, it’s an idiotic argument that trophies don’t matter at a club like United. How many years did we mock our rivals for not winning anything and now we’re in the same boat but stick our noses up at the chance of winning something. No wonder our supporters are constantly mocked and laughed at when insanely stupid arguments like yours are put out there.

FFS Spurs in 2008, that’s the best you got? How about pep and city who relentlessly pursue every trophy, not putting their noses up to any success including the league cup. We’ve won 3 fecking trophies post-Fergie and you have the gall to suggest we’re too good for the FA cup and Europa league!? Deluded.

croadyman

I don’t think Ole is the man for the job but let’s break it down a bit further.

League Cup - nice to win but wouldn’t of been one of his objectives
FA Cup - see above
Champions League - not getting out the group, especially after how it started was a disaster.
Europa - if we’d been struggling for top 4 it would of been a must win, otherwise I’d move it more to a nice to win.
Premier League - we were never going to win it. If we finish 2nd that’s been progress at least.
Only reason I want to win the Europa League is to avoid the seeded teams in the Champions League group stage draw

croadyman

If we can keep up the good work in the PL then I'll consider the cups a nice bonus and nothing else.

Regardless of whether we win all the cups or none of them: we need to invest big in the summer to plug the remaining gaps. Since August 2019 we have signed one starter(Bruno), despite needing 3-4 new starters at that stage. No more fecking around from the club, please. If we sign anything less than 2 clear starters, then it's clear that the club can't be arsed. We're a top 4 team and that's that. Winning anything that matters will always be a nice bonus, followed by a quick and ugly drop.
Pretty sure it could well be less than 2 clear starters because the club will plead COVID poverty again

freeurmind

weak willed
Don't give a feck about either the Europa League or the FA Cup to be honest. Top 4 has to be the priority.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Putting Ole through that test is the best way of finding any objective judgement before season end.

90 + 5min

Which would represent yet another trophyless season.

How would this reflect on Ole? Would you be happy with Top 4 and no trophies?
Why being negative?

You could aswell asked, in two months we could win trebble (PL, EL and FA cup). Would you be happy with that? How would it reflect on Solskjaer?