California’s Controversial Forced Drug Rehab Law

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Thought this could use its own thread for a couple of reasons & as well for me personally.

Interesting new drug law policy has come into effect in California which brings up some obvious civil rights issues.

As someone who has just successfully matriculated out of a long term, intensive, inpatient rehab facility, I think this law by California has more positives than negatives, but not by much. I was basically ‘Baker Acted’ into a Savannah crisis rehab center in June 2021 in the throes of a manic, months-long, cocaine-fueled downward spiral that had me barely survive a suicide attempt. I needed that involuntary push into a crisis rehab center which led me to the long term rehab facility ultimately.

What concerns me is addicts in California will be going into a locked facility; my center was always unlocked, I could have left whenever I wanted to do so; thankfully I suppressed wanting to leave & allowed myself to benefit from the rehab. It seems a bit draconian to keep addicts locked into a facility even if it is for their own benefit.

This could be a positive policy that benefits many who are in need or it could be fought out in court battles before it even finds its footing…

Murder on Zidanes Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Thought this could use its own thread for a couple of reasons & as well for me personally.

Interesting new drug law policy has come into effect in California which brings up some obvious civil rights issues.

As someone who has just successfully matriculated out of a long term, intensive, inpatient rehab facility, I think this law by California has more positives than negatives, but not by much. I was basically ‘Baker Acted’ into a Savannah crisis rehab center in June 2021 in the throes of a manic, months-long, cocaine-fueled downward spiral that had me barely survive a suicide attempt. I needed that involuntary push into a crisis rehab center which led me to the long term rehab facility ultimately.

What concerns me is addicts in California will be going into a locked facility; my center was always unlocked, I could have left whenever I wanted to do so; thankfully I suppressed wanting to leave & allowed myself to benefit from the rehab. It seems a bit draconian to keep addicts locked into a facility even if it is for their own benefit.

This could be a positive policy that benefits many who are in need or it could be fought out in court battles before it even finds its footing…

Well firstly, I'm glad you're ok and are working on your addiction and mental health issues mate.

I'm not sure where I stand, I'm actually quite anti drug and don't follow the decriminalisation is good ideal tbh.

In what circumstances can one be placed here? Commit a crime?

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Well firstly, I'm glad you're ok and are working on your addiction and mental health issues mate.

I'm not sure where I stand, I'm actually quite anti drug and don't follow the decriminalisation is good ideal tbh.

In what circumstances can one be placed here? Commit a crime?
This article is related to conservatorship (think Britney Spears) when someone is deemed a risk, but it also a diversion policy for those arrested for crimes which I am assuming are mostly on the non-violent side & drug related. This I am totally down with as some of the clients in my rehab center were placed there by the court & they were able to turn things around very successfully.

Drainy

Would have thought it would be a prison diversion program with a choice but seems they are applying it as a form of conservatorship.
It seems to massively be in breach of a person's civil liberties to do this.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Congratulations on getting out, that's a hell of an achievement.
I appreciate your sentiment. I was fortunate enough to have things work for me out of my control & it all lined up.

I would love for this California law to work without impinging too much on civil rights, etc. & it become a widely used template elsewhere.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Would have thought it would be a prison diversion program with a choice but seems they are applying it as a form of conservatorship.
It seems to massively be in breach of a person's civil liberties to do this.
Yeah, that’s the key hang up for me.

It’s a fine line between when someone needs outside aid & they are unable to make cogent decisions for themselves & when said person has recuperated enough to begin to control their own life.

Last edited:

Drainy

Yeah, that’s the key hang up for me.
Obviously I'm not an expert on conservatorships (in fact I was wrong with my Spears take due to not appreciating that she began the conservatorship voluntarily) but seems bizarre to me to strip people of their rights where they understand their decisions but the court deems it necessary to in their own interests.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona

Congrats man. A hell of an achievement and glad for you. Now you only need rehab from cafposting

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Congrats man. A hell of an achievement and glad for you. Now you only need rehab from cafposting
Thanks brother, appreciate the words.

The article / law just struck a chord with me. I definitely needed to be involuntarily committed to the crisis center as I was a danger to myself & others, but I was quickly given back my rights once I was stabilized mentally. It's where this return of rights happens (if at all) in California that has me so concerned about the misuse of the law against those who desperately need help but also need to be afforded with their rights when that time is appropriate.

I will be keenly watching how it all unfolds.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
I don't like it, it's a system that seems very open to abuse.