California Wild Fires | Malibu under evacuation

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
The BBC reports that Trump has visited what's left of the town of Paradise, but couldn't remember what the place was called. He also seems to think he can demand that the weather and climate bend to his will.
Later in the day, Mr Trump, Governor Brown and Governor-elect Newsom visited an area in southern California affected by the Woolsey fire.

Speaking to journalists, Mr Trump - who repeatedly referred to the devastated town of Paradise as "Pleasure" - and Mr Newsom pledged to work together to prevent future wildfire tragedies.

However, the president said it had not changed his point of view on climate change. Authorities have suggested the scale of the fire was in part fuelled by a severe lack of rain in the state.

"I have a strong opinion," Mr Trump told reporters. "I want great climate and we're going to have that and we're going to have forests that are very safe."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46248510

Baxter

Anyone able to post the LA Times article?

prateik

If the power lines were down, why didn't they push that warning message on the phones?

prateik

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
bump:
Mandatory evacuations now in the eastern part of the city I'm in right now (Irvine, California) more california fires.
I'll have to keep an eye out and possibly change my route home later. The sky looked pretty bad this morning with that heavy smoke.
The feckin Santa Ana winds kicked up this morning and somehow a fire started and of course now it's "exploded" into either 500 acres or thousands of acres (depends on the news source).
The wind has to be seen/felt to be believed. It was gusting over 60 mph earlier and over 80 mph in some areas. The area is bone dry too, not having rain since April.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
bump:
Mandatory evacuations now in the eastern part of the city I'm in right now (Irvine, California) more california fires.
I'll have to keep an eye out and possibly change my route home later. The sky looked pretty bad this morning with that heavy smoke.
The feckin Santa Ana winds kicked up this morning and somehow a fire started and of course now it's "exploded" into either 500 acres or thousands of acres (depends on the news source).
The wind has to be seen/felt to be believed. It was gusting over 60 mph earlier and over 80 mph in some areas. The area is bone dry too, not having rain since April.
Those winds (& the mistral in France) are quite something, like a full body hurricane speed hair dryer.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
bump:
I hope you don't have to leave your home, stay safe. The picture on that article looks like some kind of end of the world scenario.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
I'm at work and the smoke outside is filtering into our building now. I'm going to head home shortly. Its safer down there, I hope.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Why does this keep happening? Has it always been like this?
No raking.

In seriousness, wildfires are a typical occurrence in California, but there’s strong causation between the severity & frequency of them & climate change. The trend is definitely very negative when it comes to future fires in California.

baskinginthesun

Why does this keep happening? Has it always been like this?
As others have said, Climate Change is the leading cause. Which has also led to severe drought in the Southwestern US and poorly managed/maintained forests. All in all, the fires have gotten larger and they are burning hotter due to how dry everything is.