California Wild Fires | Malibu under evacuation

Simbo

Some crazy scenes on twitter, does it not cool down in CA this time of year?

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Not so much in SoCal. Temps are in the mid to high 20s C and have been that or higher for months.
It's the Santa Ana winds that are the problem.
Hot dry winds from the desert that can easily exceed 50 mph. They suck the moisture out of the air and turn the place into a tinder box.

It's rained a decent amount one time in the last 6 or 7 months and that was about a month ago so the whole place has dried out again.

Last edited:

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
fecking scary, 5 people burnt to death in their cars

baskinginthesun

Yep. Northern California is dealing with the Paradise fires near Chico as well. Very dangerous time of year right now. We are dried out (from no rain in 8 months) in the state and coupled with the strong Santa Ana winds blowing in from the desert, the place is a matchbox waiting to ignite. Pretty scary!

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
My boss was saying yesterday that if someone wanted to inflict terrible damage in California they’d only have to set about 20 fires at the time the Santa Ana’s are blowing.
The firefighters would be powerless to stop them.

marktan

Not sure how global weather works but it feels like it's been a very hot and dry year May onwards, especially in Europe. Even now in London it's around 14 degrees, which feels like its higher than it should be mid November.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
The press conferences here in the US are weird, but typical, for major events. They usually have about 10 other police/firefighters standing in the background as the updates are given. Makes me wonder if their time could be better used or to put it another way: why the heck are they all just standing around? Btw, watching the news update because the Spurs game is being interrupted for it.

Last edited:

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Used to be a seasonal thing, now they’re almost year round. Crazy stuff.
The sun was blood red at sunset due to the smoke and the fires are 70 miles away.

Fridge chutney

Fridge chutney

The guy filming in the video is like "you can see he's dead"...

Which is an understatement because he pans to a human skull/skeleton. There's nothing of these poor souls left other than bones.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Out of all of this craziness there are some great stories of people helping the animals that were caught up in the wildfires. Vets donating their time; firefighters giving comfort to pets they’ve come across... nice to have some positives.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
I've just read an account by a nurse who had to help evacuate all the patients from a burning hospital. Staff ended up caring for sick people on someone's garage floor whilst the fire raged around them. Thankfully, they were OK and got out of it. There'll be so many stories like that - folk doing amazing things to help others.

Skizzo

We’re sending SRT up to the areas to help out, and lots of local departments are working OT to try and help the areas. Seen some pretty gnarly scenes. Horrible thing for those people in those areas to have to go through.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
North American wild fires are quite different than european ones, but I will never forget what is helping the firemen, people crying because they lost everything, seeing my uncle risking his life alone with a fire hose and suddenly the wind changing direction and running for his life, myself being told to run because the fire was starting circling us and have to jump and run and not getting trapped by seconds. Even one of the biggest seen there is not comparable with the size, speed and peoples isolation of these wildfires. +30 deads and so many missing speaks about the magnitude. Gives me shivers.

What is most remarkable is the volunteers of all kinds that gathers and helps in many ways with food, water, transportation and specialization. Hope they can find anyone that had been trapped

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Yeah, European fires are more deadly, especially the last year or so. More densely populated I suppose.
Crazy stuff.

edit: latest I read was 50 dead. And it could get much higher.
The one in Malibu had 2 fatalities, afaik.

Last edited:

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Jesus that’s crazy, horrific! I can’t imagine what it would be like to experience something like that!

What’s Trump saying or doing about it?

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Jesus that’s crazy, horrific! I can’t imagine what it would be like to experience something like that!

What’s Trump saying or doing about it?
He's saying it's the forest bureaus fault and threatens to withhold funding.
So, yeah, lots of sympathy there.
He hates CA, cos he knows CA hates him and he can't stand that.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
He's saying it's the forest bureaus fault and threatens to withhold funding.
So, yeah, lots of sympathy there.
He hates CA, cos he knows CA hates him and he can't stand that.
Disgusting man. People will have long memories when they think of how he didn’t help

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
I've been back in Nor Cal for 2 hours and my eyes are watering from the smoke. The haze is terrible and lots of Bay Area folk are wearing masks.

barros

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Where liberty dwells, there is my country
Shouldn't California do something about this? Every fecking year is the same thing. They need to start cleaning the forests that is the biggest reason why Portugal for example has so many fires - plus the eucalyptus.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
cleaning the forests?????
I think he probably means organised hazard reduction burning. Basically burn the dead stuff on the ground that can seriously contribute to the speed of spread and intensity of actual fires when they occur. This is especially important with eucalyptud forest as they flash burn really easily and drop lots of leaves and bark (fuel), often year round.