Calling 'Sheffield United' just 'Sheffield'

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
All perspective isn't it? II was born in '79 and looking through the records now, Sheffield Wednesday were in the top flight for 20 of the first 21 years of my life. They had a big ground compared to some teams and would get 40k for some matches. They won a League Cup, made another final and got the FA Cup final all in the early 90s. They also finished 3rd one year.

The first time I saw Sheffield United in the top flight I was 12, which was around the time Wednesday were doing very well. They had one top half finish and got relegated after 4 years. They have/had a smaller ground and never did a thing in the cups. Dave Basset was the manager and they played some pretty ugly football. They came back once and went straight back down and are now in this current stint of 2 seasons in the division so it's 7 years altogether I've seen them in the top league.

Sheffield Wednesday are firmly a bigger club in my mind because of what they did in my formative years so it just feels odd to hear "Sheffield". Some younger fans will never have seen Wednesday up there so not much.

Wilder's gripe here is obviously more about them not being called United like we would be rather than anything to do with Wednesday. In Manchester if you're talking about football you obviously just say United or City, no need to say the Manchester part. He wants them to be called Sheffield United and us Manchester United rather than them Sheffield and us United or Manchester United to put them on the same footing as us. If there was a Sheffield derby and they were referred to as just Sheffield and the other team Wednesday by an overseas journalist he'd probably find it funny/good as it would paint them as the one team that represents Sheffield.

There was one the other season with people on here calling Bristol City "Bristol". That sounded strange to my ear not because I think of Bristol Rovers as a bigger club, but because they're both small so it actually helps if you say which one.
When I was a kid we always called Wednesday “Wednesday” and Sheffield Utd “Sheffield” even though Wednesday were the much bigger and more relevant club.

The thing is, to most football fans, “City” and “United” will only ever be synonymous with two clubs. It’s inevitable that you’ll shorten a club’s name in conversation so saying “Sheffield” and “Bristol” seems way more natural than calling them “United” and “City”.

An interesting one that may happen next season could be Paris Saing-Germain and Paris FC. Sometimes people call PSG, Paris because it has been the only relevant club "from" Paris in Ligue 1 but they are also known as PSG and the Paris FC as the PFC. In that case it would be a bad idea to call one of them Paris when it's not clear which one is concerned.
Emphasising the “Paris” part is deliberate branding by QSI (they made it particularly blatant with the crest change in 2013).

I generally use “Paris” and “PSG” interchangeably but it annoys me that UEFA uses “PAR” in the corner when displaying the score when “PSG” is literally three letters.

Last edited:

RashyForPM

Until the end of the game, I think we have the right to call them whatever we want :) On that note:

Prediction: Sheffield 0-3 Man United

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
This is such a none issue :lol:

Ive always referred to them as Sheffield or Sheff U and called Sheff Wed ‘Wednesday’

Isn’t it just the same as saying Milan when i talk about AC Milan or Inter when I talk about Inter Milan.

Chipper

Adulterer.
This is such a none issue :lol:

Ive always referred to them as Sheffield or Sheff U and called Sheff Wed ‘Wednesday’

Isn’t it just the same as saying Milan when i talk about AC Milan or Inter when I talk about Inter Milan.
That's a whole other can of worms! :lol:

AC Milan were founded by an Englishman (hence the St George cross on their crest) and are called Associazione Calcio Milan, using the English way of saying 'Milan'.

Inter broke away from them and are not Milan, they're 'Milano', the Italian way of saying it. Even though they use the Italian way of saying it they actually broke away because they thought AC Milan had too many Italian players and they wanted to use more foreigners. 'Inter Milan' is only really used by those outside of Italy, at least according to Wikipedia and one should either be saying Foootball Club Internazionale Milano, Internazionale, or just 'Inter'.

flappyjay

In the context of the premier league when you say Sheffield everyone gets it. Next year when they are in the championship they will get the United back.

Acole9

Outstanding
I find it a bit annoying and I'm not even from Sheffield.

SirAnderson

I don't find it annoying at all, since through context there is no confusion which of the 2 is being referred to. If it were Wednesday that were in the Prem and not United, then I would still be calling them Sheffield.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'

AC Milan were founded by an Englishman (hence the St George cross on their crest) and are called Associazione Calcio Milan, using the English way of saying 'Milan'.

Inter broke away from them and are not Milan, they're 'Milano', the Italian way of saying it. Even though they use the Italian way of saying it they actually broke away because they thought AC Milan had too many Italian players and they wanted to use more foreigners. 'Inter Milan' is only really used by those outside of Italy, at least according to Wikipedia and one should either be saying Foootball Club Internazionale Milano, Internazionale, or just 'Inter'.
Which is ironic because the fans of inter are hugely racist.

Impulse

We should just refer to the oldest club in each city by the city's name to avoid confusion, so United would be Manchester, Sheffield FC would be Sheffield and Everton would be Liverpool.

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England

This is a common misconception. It’s actually the flag of Milan which is identical in design to the English flag but has slightly different dimensions (it also represents Saint Ambrose rather than Saint George). Inter used the design of the flag as the basis of their 2006-07 away kit.

Barcelona actually do have the St George’s cross on their crest as Sant Jordi is the patron saint of Catalunya.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Emphasising the “Paris” part is deliberate branding by QSI (they made it particularly blatant with the crest change in 2013).

I generally use “Paris” and “PSG” interchangeably but it annoys me that UEFA uses “PAR” in the corner when displaying the score when “PSG” is literally three letters.
I forgot to answer. The emphasis on Paris was done since 1970, their first logo had a big Paris and a small Saint-Germain which makes sense since it was the point of the merger between the Stade Saint-Germanois and the PFC, the following ones where also about Paris but has an imagery with the Eiffel Tower as the main feature. Canal Plus took the emphasis away from Paris in the 90s with the "PSG" logo without Paris's famous symbol but it came back in the late 90s and in the 2000s, the 2000s are the only period where one could say that there was no emphasis on Paris.

Green_Red

If we'd beaten Palace on the opening day we'd be 2 points off top of the league with a game in hand.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Being called just Sheffield was a privilege. The fact that there's a bigger Sheffield club (Wednesday) and the world's first football club (Sheffield FC) from the same city but people referred to your club (the most forgettable of the three) as Sheffield was a sign of progress. It was street cred for being relevant in the world of football. A chance to get out of the shadows of the other Sheffield clubs and put your name on the map. Stake your claim as the ultimate club from Sheffield. For some reason you took it as an insult and started to throw a hissy fit. No you didn't want to be seen as a representative for the city of Sheffield. "dOn'T cAlL uS sHeFfIeLd, We ArE tHe MiGhTy BlAdEs" boo fecking hoo.

I've got good news for you. You're back to being the irrelevant little club you've always been when this season is done. You've lost the privilege to be called just Sheffield. Enjoy life back in obscurity. Goodbye and good fecking riddance Sheffield United.

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
Being called just Sheffield was a privilege. The fact that there's a bigger Sheffield club (Wednesday) and the world's first football club (Sheffield FC) from the same city but people referred to your club (the most forgettable of the three) as Sheffield was a sign of progress. It was street cred for being relevant in the world of football. A chance to get out of the shadows of the other Sheffield clubs and put your name on the map. Stake your claim as the ultimate club from Sheffield. For some reason you took it as an insult and started to throw a hissy fit. No you didn't want to be seen as a representative for the city of Sheffield. "dOn'T cAlL uS sHeFfIeLd, We ArE tHe MiGhTy BlAdEs" boo fecking hoo.

I've got good news for you. You're back to being the irrelevant little club you've always been when this season is done. You've lost the privilege to be called just Sheffield. Enjoy life back in obscurity. Goodbye and good fecking riddance Sheffield United.
It’s about having respect for Sheffield FC but I wouldn’t expect you to have respect for other clubs judging by this strange comment.

Brightonian

Why does it bother you? The other big team from Sheffield can be called Wednesday and everyone knows what team is being discussed. We can't call Sheffield United United because that's us (among others). Calling Sheffield United Sheffield makes perfect sense.
This. I've definitely done it. In a Sheffield United vs Manchester United matchday thread.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Strange club. They seem perennially not good enough for the PL and and always threatening for promotion to it.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Reinvigorating my opinion that the EPL should be a 18 team league

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Draws with Aston Villa, West Ham, Everton and Brighton. Beat Wolves, Brentford and Luton
Remember the Villa game. They were playing wrestling in their own box and should've conceded 5 stonewall pens that night. Horrible club.