Calling 'Sheffield United' just 'Sheffield'

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I hope Sheffield beats Leicester tomorrow.

BECAUSE WHO ELSE WOULD I BE TALKING ABOUT?!

In the spirit of this thread I'll call on the end of calling Leicester for Leicester. They shall hereby only be refered to as Leicester City Football Club, because...

Leicester City W.F.C.
Leicester Nirvana F.C.
Leicester Road F.C.

Who are also located in the same city and shall not be confused.

Siorac

But referring to AC Milan as Milan as is correct is wrong?

Of course referring to Celtic or Rangers as Glasgow would be weird. That isn't their name.
Everyone calls them Milan in Italy. That's their name, why would it be wrong?

Cal?

CR7 fan
A whole thread for this?

Frankly the biggest clubs gets all the shortened names:

Real Madrid - Real (even though there are plenty of Real XXX in the world), Madrid (AM says hi)
Manchester United - Manchester (even though there are some noisy neighbors), United (even though there are even more XXX Utd than Real XXX)

For now, Sheffield United is the bigger club, so Sheffield it is.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Everyone calls them Milan in Italy. That's their name, why would it be wrong?
The point is that referring to a club, which use the name of their city in their official name, simply by the name of the city for short isn't wrong. It doesn't even have to be confusing. AC Milan are the best example of that where Milan is their preferred name and their rivals are Inter. There's no confusion when calling AC Milan simply Milan.

The Glasgow sides and Sporting are three examples where referring them to the city makes no sense though, as that is not part of their name.

redshaw

I normally use Sheff U as I grew up with both in old Div 1

Don't have a problem with people using just Sheffield though

Siorac

The point is that referring to a club, which use the name of their city in their official name, simply by the name of the city for short isn't wrong. It doesn't even have to be confusing. AC Milan are the best example of that where Milan is their preferred name and their rivals are Inter. There's no confusion when calling AC Milan simply Milan.

The Glasgow sides and Sporting are three examples where referring them to the city makes no sense though, as that is not part of their name.
While I don't much care about the subject, surely the issue is when the name of the city is part of the name of two different clubs?

"Milan" is clear because there's no other club in the city that has Milan in its name. "Barcelona" is clear because there's no other (major) club in the city that has Barcelona in its name.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
But referring to AC Milan as Milan as is correct is wrong?

Of course referring to Celtic or Rangers as Glasgow would be weird. That isn't their name.
No, that's why I didn't include them in the examples.

Cal?

CR7 fan
While I don't much care about the subject, surely the issue is when the name of the city is part of the name of two different clubs?

"Milan" is clear because there's no other club in the city that has Milan in its name. "Barcelona" is clear because there's no other (major) club in the city that has Barcelona in its name.
Internazionale Milano?

But I agree with you

TMDaines

Fun sponge.

Football Club Internazionale Milano absolutely do have Milan in their name, but lean on the Inter(nazionale) part of their name, which is no different to what Sheffield Wednesday do in referring to themselves as Wednesday.

Siorac

Internazionale Milano?

But I agree with you
That's Milano, not Milan :) It's only in English that Inter are ever called Inter Milan, it would confuse the hell out of any Italian. Calling them "Milano" would be, well, weird and most people probably would have no idea what you're talking about.

sewey89

This is absolutely the point.

It's not about confusing either, we all know you're on about Sheffield United when you say 'Sheffield' we don't spend time researching if you could possible mean Sheffield Wednesday.

It just sounds weird. Basically, call teams what the media does. Nobody in the media calls Sheffield United 'Sheffield', if they do. They're wrong as well and should be immediately sacked.

Siorac

Football Club Internazionale Milano absolutely do have Milan in their name, but lean on the Inter(nazionale) part of their name, which is no different to what Sheffield Wednesday do in referring to themselves as Wednesday.
No, they have "Milano" in their name. You said it yourself.

If you want to argue this, Atlético de Madrid is a much better example. They have Madrid in their name but when talking about "Madrid" everyone knows it's Real Madrid.

sewey89

And what Sheffield United don't do, by EVER referring to themselves as Sheffield...

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

You are wrong twice. FC Internazionale Milano and Espanyol's name does include Barcelona in their full name, look at their own website.

Siorac

You are wrong twice. FC Internazionale Milano and Espanyol's name does include Barcelona in their full name, look at their own website.
You're right about Espanyol, I did not know that.

FC Internazionale Milano does not have "Milan" in their name, as I pointed it out. That's like saying Bayern have "Munich" in their name. They do not.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Something can be right while sounding wrong.

Yes other clubs have two teams of same name and are called differently but that’s how’s it been and how they’re known. Sheffield United have always been known as Sheffield United and Sheffield Wednesday have been known as Wednesday.

We know who you’re on about when you say Sheffield are playing wolves or whatever but it’s just wrong :lol: That’s not how they’re known

Cal?

CR7 fan
No, they have "Milano" in their name. You said it yourself.

If you want to argue this, Atlético de Madrid is a much better example. They have Madrid in their name but when talking about "Madrid" everyone knows it's Real Madrid.
Likewise, when talking about "Manchester", everyone knows it's Manchester United. :D

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
That's Milano, not Milan :) It's only in English that Inter are ever called Inter Milan, it would confuse the hell out of any Italian. Calling them "Milano" would be, well, weird and most people probably would have no idea what you're talking about.
Whilst we are here as well, never refer to AC Milan as Milano. They strictly use the English version of their city's name. Other similar sides in Italy are Genoa, not Genova. It all goes back to their founding by Englishmen as football and cricket clubs.

There's also the peculiarity of some Italian clubs being masculine and some feminine grammatically speaking. Clubs (Genoa, Inter, Bologna, Torino) are masculine. Sides that refer to themselves as Calcio are also masculine (Cagliari, Parma, Udinese). Associations (Fiorentina, Milan), Societies (Atalanta, Lazio, Roma, Napoli, Bari) and Unions (Sampdoria, Sassuolo) are feminine. Juventus are a club but they are feminine, just to confuse things, as their personification as the Old Lady, la vecchia signora, seems to have taken precedence.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
We were often called Manchester on the continent but nobody over there knew there was another Manchester club until about a decade ago. Many still don’t, to be fair.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Whilst we are here as well, never refer to AC Milan as Milano. They strictly use the English version of their city's name. Other similar sides in Italy are Genoa, not Genova. It all goes back to their founding by Englishmen as football and cricket clubs.

There's also the peculiarity of some Italian clubs being masculine and some feminine grammatically speaking. Clubs (Genoa, Inter, Bologna, Torino) are masculine. Sides that refer to themselves as Calcio are also masculine (Cagliari, Parma, Udinese). Associations (Fiorentina, Milan), Societies (Atalanta, Lazio, Roma, Napoli, Bari) and Unions (Sampdoria, Sassuolo) are feminine. Juventus are a club but they are feminine, just to confuse things, as their personification as the Old Lady, la vecchia signora, seems to have taken precedence.
Well, obviously, they don't have Milano in their name. Associazione Calcio Milan

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
You're right about Espanyol, I did not know that.

FC Internazionale Milano does not have "Milan" in their name, as I pointed it out. That's like saying Bayern have "Munich" in their name. They do not.
This is wrong too. Some clubs translate their name for different languages, others don't. Bayern are FC Bayern Munich pretty much everywhere outside of Germany. Just going to their official website would confirm this.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Well, obviously, they don't have Milano in their name. Associazione Calcio Milan
Sure, but we still have people who refer to Sporting as Sporting Lisbon or Celtic as Glasgow Celtic. There's plenty who assume that Milan are actually a Milano, but they aren't for good reason. Did you read the rest of my post?

neilv93

Bristol Rovers are my local club - INFURIATES me when we or City are referred to as 'Bristol'. Rovers and City, respectively, is fine - correct even. Same for United and City in Manchester, United and Wednesday for Sheffield, Milan and Inter is even fine because everyone commonly knows the differences. 'Sheffield' is not okay with me...

But then as a Rovers fan, so many football fans don't even realise there's a second Bristol club as we're garbage so that's semi fair enough :lol:

Siorac

This is wrong too. Some clubs translate their name for different languages, others don't. Bayern are FC Bayern Munich pretty much everywhere outside of Germany. Just going to their official website would confirm this.
Their official name is Fußball-Club Bayern München e. V.

And no, they're not called Munich "pretty much everywhere outside Germany". They're called that in English, French, and Spanish. In Italian, they're known as Bayern Monaco. In many other languages (my own included), it is Bayern München. The official website accepts that they're referred to as such in those languages and accommodates that. That does not change the fact that the club's actual name is FC Bayern München.

So of course you can refer to Bayern as "Bayern Munich" and people will know what you're talking about. You can also refer to Sporting Lisbon and people will know what you're talking about. But it's still not the club's actual name.

yan man utd

I see what you’re saying but you just sound like someone new to football or atleast new to Sheffield United, even thought you’re technically right
no Zlatan you are Clearly very new to football
Have recently switch hobbies or are you just out to annoy people. I have read your posts and there is no evidence of knowledge of football yet. It’s annoying and doesn’t belong among passionate, proper United supporters who know their stuff

we can’t all agree on everything but it’s difficult to see what anyone can agree with you on - but that’s just it your are an annoying person. Please just jump on another site

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
no Zlatan you are Clearly very new to football
Have recently switch hobbies or are you just out to annoy people. I have read your posts and there is no evidence of knowledge of football yet. It’s annoying and doesn’t belong among passionate, proper United supporters who know their stuff

we can’t all agree on everything but it’s difficult to see what anyone can agree with you on - but that’s just it your are an annoying person. Please just jump on another site
:lol: :lol: Bore off ffs

Teja

I used to love it when people called us "Manchester" while barely acknowledging City's existence. Now it feels a bit smalltime :lol:

And "Milan" for me always referred to AC Milan.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
I hope Sheffield beats Leicester tomorrow.

BECAUSE WHO ELSE WOULD I BE TALKING ABOUT?!

In the spirit of this thread I'll call on the end of calling Leicester for Leicester. They shall hereby only be refered to as Leicester City Football Club, because...

Leicester City W.F.C.
Leicester Nirvana F.C.
Leicester Road F.C.

Who are also located in the same city and shall not be confused.
I don't agree. By this logic it's fine to say "I think Bruno Fernandes is Manchester's best player". It's obvious what team you mean but it's still not right not to differentiate, in my opinion.