Callum Hudson-Odi | Contract extension signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Judas

Open to offers
And all the kneejerk reaction to Sancho having a good season so far? How anyone can decide either of them or Declan rice for that matter are the answer to all our prayers is beyond me.

Declan rice especially, he's had two minutes of top level football and is all of the sudden the Messiah
How can anyone decide anything if you're going to approach it like that. It's a fact Sancho is having a great season.

BridgeBanter

Supports
Chelsea
So you are saying Selling club sells the player when they wants to? Is this the new thing that happens only at Chelsea or every transfer (without release clauses) works in the same way?

Every transfer works the same way. At the start of 2013 season, no on thought Chelsea would sell Mata to ManUtd. Every transfer happens only when selling club agree to sell the player.

Obviously I'm not saying CHO will sign for ManUtd as Bayern are interested, player wanted to move to Bayern so Chelsea have easy option. I'm saying with big IF, if we agree terms with CHO like Bayern agreed with Lewandowski.

Edit: Also funny you calling it revisionist and then coming up with Mata was surplus to requirement when he stared 11 out of 20 league games (before Jan when negotiations started) or 11 out of 22 league games before leaving Chelsea. That's not surplus to requirement. He wasn't Jose's favorite but he was starting every alternate game.
Mourinho practically said that Oscar was the player he preferred playing in the 10 role behind Torres at the time. Considering Mata was considered the first name on the team sheet the first two years prior to Mourinho coming, him starting almost half less games and being sold in January no less shows he was clearly surplus to requirements.

Once again, myself and many other Chelsea fans didn’t agree with the decision but it was a case of Mourinho feeling he could do without Mata rather than United “poaching” him so to speak.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Mourinho practically said that Oscar was the player he preferred playing in the 10 role behind Torres at the time. Considering Mata was considered the first name on the team sheet the first two years prior to Mourinho coming, him starting almost half less games and being sold in January no less shows he was clearly surplus to requirements.

Once again, myself and many other Chelsea fans didn’t agree with the decision but it was a case of Mourinho feeling he could do without Mata rather than United “poaching” him so to speak.
Mata started 50% of league games, how is the surplus to requirement? Drinkwater is surplus, Mata wasn't. He was just not the first name on team sheet anymore.

Like I said, any player sold will be with selling club's agreement. Same with Mata, Matic and if we sign CHO it will be same again.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Safe to say his gaffer isn’t his biggest fan

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
For a guy to not have started a league game to be getting caps for England is quite amazing.
Even a club like Chelsea surely can see they've got a potential star in the making there?!

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Even a club like Chelsea surely can see they've got a potential star in the making there?!
We've offered him £85K a week to stay. The club is desperate to keep him.

As for Sarri, it's a tough one, does he drop Eden Hazard for CHO? He's played him a fair bit out of position on the right. There's not many 17/18 years olds playing more than 18 games (that how many CHO has played in so far) for a Champions League chasing side. If we look at other top six sides and their 17/18 year olds:

Foden (older than CHO) is probably as highly rated but has played far less.

Chong and Gomes at Man United (both older than CHO) have played far less.

The season that Alexander-Arnold was the same age as CHO he played in 7 games (according to WIki). Rhain Brewster was in the same Under 17 England side that won the world cup. He's not played a minute for Liverpool.

Don't know of any teenagers currently breaking through at Spurs. Winks certainly was not playing that much at 17/18.

When Maitland-Niles was CHO's age he was on loan at Ipswich.

Chelsea have been terrible at getting youngsters through into the first team but CHO is being given more game time than any kid of the same age, despite sharing the same position as possibly the best player in the clubs history who is in his prime.

dbs235

Safe to say his gaffer isn’t his biggest fan
To be honest he still looked dangerous on the right but he lost the defensive header that ended up leading to them scoring. But he's not in the team to win headers at right back and I wouldn't expect Hazard or Sancho to have won it either.

BridgeBanter

Supports
Chelsea
Mata started 50% of league games, how is the surplus to requirement? Drinkwater is surplus, Mata wasn't. He was just not the first name on team sheet anymore.

Like I said, any player sold will be with selling club's agreement. Same with Mata, Matic and if we sign CHO it will be same again.
I guess we won’t agree on what surplus to requirements is because going from most important player 2 years running to being sold in the January transfer window tells it’s on story.

In any case, if the club felt that CHO would not resign, they would sell him to Bayern for a dime on the dollar rather than selling him to United

Posh Red

As for Sarri, it's a tough one, does he drop Eden Hazard for CHO? He's played him a fair bit out of position on the right. There's not many 17/18 years olds playing more than 18 games (that how many CHO has played in so far) for a Champions League chasing side. If we look at other top six sides and their 17/18 year olds:

The season that Alexander-Arnold was the same age as CHO he played in 7 games (according to WIki). Rhain Brewster was in the same Under 17 England side that won the world cup. He's not played a minute for Liverpool.

Don't know of any teenagers currently breaking through at Spurs. Winks certainly was not playing that much at 17/18.

Chelsea have been terrible at getting youngsters through into the first team but CHO is being given more game time than any kid of the same age, despite sharing the same position as possibly the best player in the clubs history who is in his prime.
Could he not start on the right for you guys? United blooded Rashford as a teenager and are probably reaping the rewards now. Would you be adverse to him getting a run over Pedro/Willian? (Gwnuinely curious. I don’t follow chelas that closely so you will know better than me whether this is a worthwhile pursuit).

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
Could he not start on the right for you guys? United blooded Rashford as a teenager and are probably reaping the rewards now. Would you be adverse to him getting a run over Pedro/Willian? (Gwnuinely curious. I don’t follow chelas that closely so you will know better than me whether this is a worthwhile pursuit).
He absolutely could.

duffer

Scout
He has had a few starts on the right. He's just not as good there.

Rashford seized his chance as well as any young player ever but I'm pretty sure that it was an injury to at least two other players in his position that gave him the chance.

Had Martial and Rooney been fit then do you think they'd have both been dropped for Rashford at that age? I'm pretty sure if Hazard and Willian were both injured then CHO would have more than the 18 appearances (Inc 6 starts).

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham

Skipp is the only current teenager who is getting regular gametime at Spurs.

Classical Mechanic

Rashford seized his chance as well as any young player ever but I'm pretty sure that it was an injury to at least two other players in his position that gave him the chance.

Had Martial and Rooney been fit then do you think they'd have both been dropped for Rashford at that age? I'm pretty sure if Hazard and Willian were both injured then CHO would have more than the 18 appearances (Inc 6 starts).
Sarri’s comments were carefully chosen. ‘He’s great on the left but Hazard’ basically. Which is why CHO needs to leave if Hazard stays.

duffer

Scout
Sarri’s comments were carefully chosen. ‘He’s great on the left but Hazard’ basically. Which is why CHO needs to leave if Hazard stays.
Transfer ban, sell Hazard, give CHO the number 10 shirt and a new contract and let's see what happens. Maybe we drop down the table like a stone but I'd kinda like to see it.

Dazzmondo

Pretty sure he's just a backup option if we can't get Sancho. Got to be honest, I don't think he's much of an upgrade on Lingard other than his age.

Litch

He looks like a talent but not many top clubs in this country including Chelsea that will guarantee him a pathway to regular starting 11 football. I think he's probably looked at Sancho and thought like other young English talent, thought Germany does. If it works out at say BM, probably winning the league most seasons and playing in the CL. It's kind of like going to the German Man City.....

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Transfer ban, sell Hazard, give CHO the number 10 shirt and a new contract and let's see what happens. Maybe we drop down the table like a stone but I'd kinda like to see it.
I don't know if CHO will sign a new contract (especially if Sarri stays), but I feel that otherwise this is what Chelsea will do. Sell Hazard, give CHO a true chance to stake a claim as first choice and hope that once that happens he'll end up signing a new contract during next season. Of course the big danger of doing that is that not only will he be able to leave for a free at the end of that season if he doesn't sign (something that you might be willing to risk), but that he could leave for a free to another English club.

Although it does depend on whether Zidane actually wants Hazard at Real. If he does then this is the time to sell him and let the above play out. If not, then obviously keep Hazard and sell CHO.

F miah

Chelsea won’t be stupid enough to let him go to a rival.

Chelsea will be looking to cash in for Hazard

Posh Red

You’re right regarding the circumstances for Rashford of course. I didn’t know anything about CHO but after watching him for England I think it would be worth getting him on the pitch as often as possible.

Bearded One

When your current approach doesn't work, try something else, would be my advise to Sarri.

Perhaps a double pivot system frees Barkley to be able to arrive in the box more often and would also bring out the best in Kanye would help:

Higuain
Harzard Barkley Odoi
Jorginho Kante
Alonso Luiz Rudiger Azpilcueta
Kepa​

Last edited:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Good reasoned response, to my in fairness fairly easy to say original comment!

I suppose the only thing with your lad, is he's clearly a more talented guy than all but Foden on this list.

Hazard keeping him out is certainly a good reason! It's just a strange scenario where a guy who has barely played is being talked about for huge money to Bayern, and also winning England caps. But I suppose that's the game these days.
Without going all "It was better in my day", it surely was a lot better when players had to earn their England caps, not just being in an ever diminishing quality pool.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
I think this will happen. Good chance he goes for free in 2020 though. It's a risk we need to take. At least we can then buy a replacement.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I really do not want Hudson Odoi. He’s not as effective in the right of midfield.

BTEC Sancho!

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Definitely on his way in the summer. Left out yet again and looked totally dejected on the bench.

Why stay?
He's under contract and Chelsea can't sign a replacement

I'm sure whoever replaces Sarri will play him more especially with Hazard gone

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Still think Chelsea sack Sarri and the new manager keeps him.

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
When your current approach doesn't work, try something else, would be my advise to Sarri.

Perhaps a double pivot system frees Barkley to be able to arrive in the box more often and would also bring out the best in Kanye would help:
Kanye's best was years ago, probably college dropout.

Status
Not open for further replies.