Calvin Bassey - Ajax

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Rangers bought him for circa £300k and sold him 2 years later for €27m plus 10% add ons? Some deal, after watching him last year in the EL wish we had put in an offer for him. Can cover CB and LB positions is young, fast in his recoveries, strong, athletic he will go to a much bigger league and team within 2 years.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Great attitude etc. not sure he is actually that good.

Bwuk

Ajax will be able to sell him in a year or two for 50m. He’s quality.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
We bought him today for 23 EUR fixed with potential add-ons up to 26.5

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
We bought him today for 23 EUR fixed with potential add-ons up to 26.5
I think he will suit the Dutch league very well. He's good with the ball, closest thing the Scottish league had to Van Dijk since he left Celtic.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
I think he will suit the Dutch league very well. He's good with the ball, closest thing the Scottish league had to Van Dijk since he left Celtic.
Well that sounds very promising... He will be fighting with Blind and Wijndal for the two spots in left defense..

Joel Miller

Well that sounds very promising... He will be fighting with Blind and Wijndal for the two spots in left defense..
You’ve got of a hell of a player. His athleticism is really something too. I saw a couple of games where he filled in at centre back and even if players have managed to get in behind the defence he’s been able to catch them up with blistering pace and shoulder them off the ball like they were junior players, he’s really unbelievably strong, I’m positive you will never see anyone bullying him off the ball.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Disappointed we didn't go for him. Watched him a lot as I support Rangers too and while he is raw he has so much potential and a lot of strengths. Very interested to see how he gets on at Ajax.

redcucumber

He stood out in the three Rangers games I watched last season in the Europa League. He was a level above those around him and I'm not surprised people are talking glowingly of him here. Interested to see how his career unfolds.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Disappointed we didn't go for him. Watched him a lot as I support Rangers too and while he is raw he has so much potential and a lot of strengths. Very interested to see how he gets on at Ajax.
Yeah seemed a very obvious punt for an athletic left sided centre half/full back. We've gone for 2 players (Malacia and Martinez) so hopefully works out ok

Vapor trail

Keep hearing his name pop up will be interesting to see how he develops at Ajax.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I prefer him as a cb than at lb so I’m looking forward to seeing him replace Martinez and play alongside Timber.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Last season was his first season really playing as left centre back, he filled in due to injuries, and he got much better as the season went on.

He's a different type of player to Martinez. He's nowhere near as good a passer so for his perspective and development joining Ajax should help refine that. He's quite good at carrying the ball out of defence though, that's the left back in him, see the winning goal in the cup semi vs Celtic as a prime example.

He's a bit of a beast, really strong upper body and he uses it well. Not the strongest in the air but that shouldn't be a problem at Ajax. Good pace, good attitude, and became a cult hero at Rangers. Hope he does well at Ajax and eventually gets a big money move back to England.

Thoms

Supports
Ajax
He sounds comparable to Davinson Sanchez? Am I right?

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Yeah seemed a very obvious punt for an athletic left sided centre half/full back. We've gone for 2 players (Malacia and Martinez) so hopefully works out ok
Yeah we definitely needed some in my opinion so that has been good, could do with another on the right before the window shuts.

RE Bassey, hope he develops well and be interesting to see where he ends up in future.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
He sounds comparable to Davinson Sanchez? Am I right?
A bit. He almost plays the role like a hybrid full back / centre back. He's not a play making passing type, his full back background means he can drive more with the ball to beat the press.

Chief123

First time watching him. He looks an absolute beast in the making.

I’m just confused as to what his position is. The guy is everywhere. Been at RB, CB and LB!

Thoms

Supports
Ajax
First time watching him. He looks an absolute beast in the making.

I’m just confused as to what his position is. The guy is everywhere. Been at RB, CB and LB!
Yea he’s pretty great. Insane engine on him.

Chief123

This is actually the worst I've seen him. First time he hasn't been godlike. Looks a bit all over the place
Wow he must be some player in that case.

It’s incredible how Ajax can lose so many players every year and still produce magnificent talent. Kudus looks brilliant too!

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Wow he must be some player in that case.

It’s incredible how Ajax can lose so many players every year and still produce magnificent talent. Kudus looks brilliant too!
They bought him from Rangers this summer

Chief123

They bought him from Rangers this summer
Yes sorry I was thinking of Kudus when writing the second part but even some of the other players, they just seem to churn out quality youngsters one after another.

Ekeke

Beat in the air by Matip for Liverpool's winner. Also had a couple of wayward passes in the 2nd half. Not quite as good

PoTMS

Strange signing for Ajax. He's an ok defender but not nearly good enough on the ball.

Strange signing for Ajax. He's an ok defender but not nearly good enough on the ball.
Something like bottom 5% of active CBs for aerial duels win % too.

Together with Timber there was a very obvious reason Ajax lost the first header on basically every set-piece.

Glorio

Decent player but I don't understand the love fest with him, he had some big performances for Rangers last season, however they were very akin to the sort of monster performances AWB has from time to time.

Strong in the tackle, late blocks, robust recoveries while showing good pace, etc. Basically scenarios which a more composed defender may have prevented from happening in the first place.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Poor for both goals and poor in his passing, really struggled.

But this is his first time against such opposition ever. Some of these guys are good, but completely not used to this level.

Chief123

Blimey, he’s gone from being god like to absolutely AWB levels of shit in just this page alone!

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Bassey showed last night what he is. Strong, quick, very good defender 1 on 1. But not great in the air and more a dribbler with the ball than a great passer.

I did warn Ajax fans he'd be a total different prospect then Martinez on the ball. Hopefully playing for Ajax improves that aspect of his game. Not sure it will improve his aerial ability though.

We need an rvn

Blimey, he’s gone from being god like to absolutely AWB levels of shit in just this page alone!
It sounds like you’re new to the caf but with 6.7k posts I’m surprised you’re surprised - gotta love the caf but surely you know one good or bad performance changes whether we should sign someone or not ;)

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Bassey showed last night what he is. Strong, quick, very good defender 1 on 1. But not great in the air and more a dribbler with the ball than a great passer.

I did warn Ajax fans he'd be a total different prospect then Martinez on the ball. Hopefully playing for Ajax improves that aspect of his game. Not sure it will improve his aerial ability though.
Agreed. Bassey will be one of the better ones in the air as the team looks collectively quite poor in the air. Every corner was a chance for Liverpool.

MDFC Manager

I thought he was a headless chicken for most of the game, looking quite unsuited to the game Ajax were playing.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Agreed. Bassey will be one of the better ones in the air as the team looks collectively quite poor in the air. Every corner was a chance for Liverpool.
Not sure what that says for us (Rangers) in these games going forward considering how poor we seem to be from set pieces ourselves. We have replaced Bassey with Sands who in my opinion just isn't a central defender, really need Ben Davies to start getting a run of games.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Not sure what that says for us (Rangers) in these games going forward considering how poor we seem to be from set pieces ourselves. We have replaced Bassey with Sands who in my opinion just isn't a central defender, really need Ben Davies to start getting a run of games.
Aye. Given we've conceded about 10 goals from set-pieces already this season, this could be carnage.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Anybody who puts Salah on his ass is alright with me.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
I thought he was a headless chicken for most of the game, looking quite unsuited to the game Ajax were playing.
Yeah, he wasn't good at the ball against Liverpool. But in easier matches he looks quite comfortable, so i hope it's only a matter of time until he can do that against stronger opponents.