Cameron Borthwick-Jackson

Welbeckham

I don't see the "better version" part yet, but I haven't really seen enough of him. Doesn't seem to have that much potential (compared with Fosu-Mensah and Gribbin for example) in my opinion, which is not completely relevant because it's based on YouTube.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
I was greatly impressed by the ease and elegance with which he solved an unfamiliar defensive midfield role earlier this season and I've had a bit of a soft spot for him since. He's coming along nicely at left-back but he's clearly built for a central position. I rate him as highly as Tuanzebe.

khoazany

I don't see the "better version" part yet, but I haven't really seen enough of him. Doesn't seem to have that much potential (compared with Fosu-Mensah and Gribbin for example) in my opinion, which is not completely relevant because it's based on YouTube.
He's as good as Mensah on the ball IMO but not as aggressive.Should stay at left back if he want to have chance to make it.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
The last time a Cameron-BJ was this good Clegg was allowed to reform income tax laws.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Yeah, looks OK at left back, nothing all that special. Think Blackett looked a better LB at the same age personally but then, as said above, I think he's perhaps a central player so hopefully he shows what he can do as he develops.

khoazany

Yeah, looks OK at left back, nothing all that special. Think Blackett looked a better LB at the same age personally but then, as said above, I think he's perhaps a central player so hopefully he shows what he can do as he develops.
Much more talented footballer than Blackett but less as an athlete.

khoazany

Yep, that'd be my assessment too. Still not a top-bracket talent though.
Perhaps.But I've been very impressed by his ability to bring the ball out of the back recently especially the Bury match when he even took on couple of their players in some occasions.Can't think of anyone better about that regard in our book.His long passing is good as well as shown in the Milk Cup.His defending doesn't strike "top bracket" but at least I haven't seen Blackettesque mistakes.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Can't say I fully agree with the last few posts. BJ is a very gifted athlete in his own right; big, strong, agile and still a few years away from reaching his full physical potential. And, in terms of technical ability, Blackett's not a bad footballer. He lacks awareness and consistency, but he showed right through his academy/reserves days, and even at the beginning of his first-team career, when he played with considerably more confidence and ease than he has lately, that he's got ability. The main difference between BJ and Blackett is the former's non-dopiness. For my money, BJ is indeed a top talent, though I can understand if those who've only seen him at left-back don't feel that way.

Brightonian

I agree that he's more promising as a CB - although his positional flexibility is definitely an asset not a weakness, since he's a very respectable FB too. But I just don't see him as up there with the likes of Januzaj, Pearson, Harrop, Pereira, Mitchell et al (in terms of where they were/are as U18s, of course). Which is what I mean by 'top-bracket talent'. I'm certainly not denying that he's in the bracket of players who look like they might be good enough for a shot at the senior squad one day.

Decotron

Can't say I fully agree with the last few posts. BJ is a very gifted athlete in his own right; big, strong, agile and still a few years away from reaching his full physical potential. And, in terms of technical ability, Blackett's not a bad footballer. He lacks awareness and consistency, but he showed right through his academy/reserves days, and even at the beginning of his first-team career, when he played with considerably more confidence and ease than he has lately, that he's got ability. The main difference between BJ and Blackett is the former's non-dopiness. For my money, BJ is indeed a top talent, though I can understand if those who've only seen him at left-back don't feel that way.
Unusual for me.... but one thing Blackett has is confidence and belief in himself. Not all young players have that.

I still dont rate him but it certainly counts for something.

TwoSheds

Unusual for me.... but one thing Blackett has is confidence and belief in himself. Not all young players have that.

I still dont rate him but it certainly counts for something.
I'd agree with that, he's not bad technically. His passing is decent, quite a handy dribbler from full back, touch is OK, scored a few screamers over the years hasn't he too?

It's the dopiness that makes me think he's not first team material. Having said that, Rio was considered a bit dopey at times until his mid twenties, albeit he was a far more talented player.

Decotron

I'd agree with that, he's not bad technically. His passing is decent, quite a handy dribbler from full back, touch is OK, scored a few screamers over the years hasn't he too?

It's the dopiness that makes me think he's not first team material. Having said that, Rio was considered a bit dopey at times until his mid twenties, albeit he was a far more talented player.
I think there was big difference though. Rio was certainly prone to errors but they were purely down to poor concentration. I think Blackett's weaknesses are more deep rooted.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I haven't seen much of him at u18s but from the 3 u21 matches and the little of the u19s I've seen he looks a real talent. He has come into the u21s and looked superb imo. Its not much of a sample size but he has certainly impressed me and I've read that some think he is an even better CB than LB. We'll get to see more of him as the season goes on but from the little I've seen and read about him he looks like he should be in with a shout of potentially making it.

TwoSheds

Left footed. Can defend. First team appearance soon?

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Oh shit he is with the squad for tomorrow, didn't realize that. Hope he makes the bench. Bit surprising he is there, I didn't think we had many injuries.

khoazany

Who is the best defender in our youth set up?
Now that he's on the bench,him :lol:

Serious though, hard to say before they start to play some first team games.Tuanzebe and Williams are the highest rated at the moment (Fosu-Mensah is counted as a CM for me) but who know if the likes of Borthwick-Jackson,Reid,Warren or Poole will step up better.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I think promoting players based on what leg they use is wrong imo.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
He is on the bench (unless Blind/Rojo feck themselves up on warm-up)
Lovely news and not at all unwarranted, he's been the u21s' best defender this season. Perhaps he'll get the recognition he deserves from now on.

khoazany

Lovely news and not at all unwarranted, he's been the u21s' best defender this season. Perhaps he'll get the recognition he deserves from now on.
I kinda expected him to be called upon at some point after Shaw out for a season.Hopefully he has impressed enough on training.

Joemo

whistling in the wind
@khoazany do you rate Warren highly? I think I've only seen one game of his and I was dead impressed, it was the U19 CL tie a few weeks ago against Wolfsburg U19s.

khoazany

@khoazany do you rate Warren highly? I think I've only seen one game of his and I was dead impressed, it was the U19 CL tie a few weeks ago against Wolfsburg U19s.
Hard to say about him at this stage.He's comfortable on the ball and is a tough lad but quite small for his age however he might be due a grown spurt.He's not bad offensively (used to play winger when he was younger) but I think he still need to improve in that regard to stand a chance of making it.Some people in the academy rates him quite highly.

What is the situation at right back now ? is Varela with the squad ? @khoazany
He must be registered in the "A" list to play and I don't see his name in our squad in the Premier League website so probably will be sold on January or summer.I've said for a while that I think Reid has the best chance of making it out of our young right backs.

Last edited:

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Great to see him on the bench, another huge defensive talent from the academy. Hope he might even make a cameo. I prefer the pickung up younger players with huge potential than older players who dont really look like making it here, and those go from the range from McNair (alright talent), to tbe likes of Blackett.

Red_Beans

Say what you want bout LVG, iv been impressed with the way he gives the youngsters a chance. For me, more than anything, that is the 'Manchester United Way'