Can a player who wasn't a playmaking hub ever contest in greatest of all time accolades and regard?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I saw this post in the C.Ronaldo thread:

So, is C.Ronaldo the greatest non playmaking footballer of all time? Or one of?

And it got me thinking. The generally accepted top 5-10 footballers of all-time is almost completely populated with with those who controlled and influenced the game at practically all times through their career:

- Pele
- Maradona
- Di Stefano
- Beckenbauer
- Cruyff

Are the generally accepted top 5, with:

- Garrincha*
- Puskas
- Platini

Taking up another three spots for most people and then you have an argument for the other 2spots amongst:

- Eusebio
- Ronaldo (Brazil)
- Best*
- Zidane
- Zico
- Messi
- Charlton

and a host of others usually jostling for the remainder. Depending on who you ask, the order of the names will change, but for the most part, these are the players who contest the very, very highest echelon football has known since its inception.

Now, if you take a look at those players, apart from: Eusebio, Best* & Ronaldo, every one of them is or became the central hub of their side at some point or other, or cemented their legacy by proving they can become that for a period of time that would confirm their brilliance and win their team a trophy. In particular, I am talking about Garrincha's showing at the world cup of 1962 where he took over the play-making, central mantle in the absence of Pele and carried his team to the summit whilst being the catalyst for practically all positive and instrumental play. Without that tournament, Garrincha would still be seen in a tremendous light and still arguably the best wing-forward of all time, but I doubt he'd still be a shoo-in for top ten of all time discussions as he is.

George Best is another winger whose legacy was cemented by him proving to be more than just that with his performances in the European Cup against the best sides of the era where he was pretty much playing in a free role and letting his instinct and genius guide him. If he was 'just' a winger, I don't think he'd get a mention in these discussions, either, but by proving he could link play and take control of a game more through the middle than out wide, he elevated himself to a level you rarely associate with wingers, no matter how brilliant they are (you will never hear the names Gento or Matthews brought up in [the very] greatest of all time discussions, for example.)

The most glaring omission from the lists above, the one player who won his club and NT the greatest prizes, is Gerd Muller, who can easily be placed alongside any striker in history and argued to be the peer or superior of. Gerd Muller was a goalscoring machine, who, as far as striking and match-winning goals are concerned, is probably the gold standard above even Pele and Di Stefano, but he will never top an all-time list for anything but strikers. Why is that? In his field and in the trade of scoring goals, he is actually peerless (if Pele can't match him, I haven't checked but I'm sure he even outdoes him) - the likes of Kocsis, Puskas, Messi, C.Ronaldo and any other player with a phenomenal goals to game ratio may have the numbers, but Muller did it in World Cup finals, European Cup finals and any other zenith game he was involved in as well as against fodder - but it seems to count for little when the game is discussed in terms of those who are perceived to have reached its pinnacle, and yet, as a striker whose job it is to score goals, he could do no more.

There are only two out-and-out strikers on that list: Eusebio and Ronaldo, and they are generally in lists like these above the likes of Muller, Kocsis, Van Basten and Romario because they had the ability to run from the half way line, bamboozle a backline and finish in breath-taking fashion. Essentially the aesthetics of what they did props them up to higher standing than others in the trade of scoring goals – they were seen as more than ‘just’ goal-scorers because of their threat from deep and dribbling ability at pace. The amount of goals they scored seems to be incidental; a bonus rather than being the most important quality, well that’s how it seems to me with the preferential treatment they get in all-time debates. As high as I rate them, and as silky as their skills as footballers over goal-scorers were, the bare bones of it is that someone like Muller matches them and will still not be given his due relative to the kudos they receive.

So if the players in the initial list were removed and any others omitted who were central play-making hubs, who would be in your top 5 players of all-time, and why? Is it then just a matter of working out who all the top goal-scorers are, or do you then look at the contribution and ability of defenders, central midfielders and wingers with a broader, fairer scope?

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
In the case of the Fat Ronaldo, he was more than just a striker at Inter. He showed there he could be the fulcrum of the team, albeit higher up the pitch than your classic '10'.

JaffyJoe

Provides RedCafe with shit Twitter news
I think it depends n the players skills, Muller could ONLY be a striker. He has the perfect attributes for that role. The agility, the quick bursts of acceleration and the instinct. I couldn't see him playing any other position. To be in the conversation for me you need to have that 'all world' talent. When I watch you play I need to feel you can do anything on the pitch, even when you play with the best you can be above them. C.Ronaldo's game has less artistry than Messi's but both have become lie machines now. They score every game using largely the same moves and manoeuvres. Their consistence has made their excellence great. I believe Ronaldo is an amazing player but something with him just does not clic with me.

Top 5 (not creative hubs)

C.Ronaldo
Ronaldo
Van Basten
Gerd Muller
Baresi

It's hard to think of 5 it will mostly be strikers honestly.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
In the case of the Fat Ronaldo, he was more than just a striker at Inter. He showed there he could be the fulcrum of the team, albeit higher up the pitch than your classic '10'.
The same could be said of Eusebio in his partnerships, but I don't think that's what defines either of them more than their ability to carry the ball insane distances and then finish or dribble through swathes of opposing players and score. The ability to do so is rare and mesmeric and what really sets them apart from most strikers.

I mean, many wouldn't know it, but Muller was a very good play-maker in terms of holding up the ball, one-two's (he is renowned for his interplay with Beckenbauer, even) and short passing lay-offs and not just some goal-hanging poacher who couldn't play at all as he is often portrayed as.

AttackingFlair

I would say yes simply from this logic: Ronaldo is a better player than all these 'playmaking hubs' in the world at the moment apart from Messi. Ronaldo isn't the greatest and won't ever be imo but you could possibly throw his name into the mix of a top 10/15 or whatever when his career is over.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Ronaldo does not need to be a "creative" hub, he is surrounded by them.

Football is all about scoring goals, and what more can you ask than a ratio of more than 1 goal per game?.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I tend to agree that's where Cristiano Ronaldo falls down on these debates. He's in and amongst the greatest goalscorers of all time, but does not share the vision, creativity and influence of your top tier. But while that rules out the majority of the great strikers, it's a bit more nuanced than that. For instance, had Ronaldo stayed injury-free and maintained his 1996-1998 form over a five-year period, he'd have been part of the top bracket. There's obviously something in what B20 says about him being the fulcrum of the Inter team, albeit he never really had that 'hub-of-all-the-action' role to the same extent with Barcelona or Brazil. Threat from deep - capacity to win a game from the middle third at the highest level - is what separates Ronaldo from the other centre-forwards in contention.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Vision and playmaking is overrated.

At the end of the day, they're all greats because they won things, and by defending or attacking, it's their great contribution on the then present team that merits them being labelled greats.

It's nice to watch and looking artistic, but at the end of the days goals win you match.

Defending, Scoring, Goalkeeping, Playmaking all is a form of art in football, and you can't simply classify Scoring > Defending, it's more exciting to watch probably, but both have their own beauty each.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Vision and playmaking is overrated.

At the end of the day, they're all greats because they won things, and by defending or attacking, it's their great contribution on the then present team that merits them being labelled greats.

It's nice to watch and looking artistic, but at the end of the days goals win you match.

Defending, Scoring, Goalkeeping, Playmaking all is a form of art in football, and you can't simply classify Scoring > Defending, it's more exciting to watch probably, but both have their own beauty each.
It's not just that though, is it? with those facets come the key elements, which are control and influence. When a player can control a game and seemingly bend it to his will, he is seen in a different light to those that cannot.

I would say that vision and play-making are not one and the same, however, as you can be a textbook playmaker who does the simple things well and isn't particular expansive or visionary but keeps his team in complete control of a game and still be held in the highest regard.

Di Stefano is probably the best example of both control and play-making whilst not being much of a creative visionary when compared to someone like Maradona. Even someone like Roy Keane, who isn't seen as a visionary in any sense of the word, was an exceptional presence and someone who dictated play because of the amount of control he could exert over his team and the game in general.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I really liked what amolbhatia wrote in the Ronaldo thread.
I can't speak for exactly where Ronaldo should go down among the greatest players of all time. But if I'm to hazard a guess, I'd say he should be in the tier below the absolute greatest footballers. While he isn't simply a goal poacher like some claim, he doesn't influence games other than goals as much as I'd expect someone who is staking a claim to be the best football ever. Like I said, he's not just a poacher, he's a quality footballer overall. But if you do cut out the playmakers of the team, he can be stopped because he can't play the role of one. I've always assumes the likes of maradona and pele made the team function really, and to stop the team you had to stop them rather than stop them from getting into the game.
Everytime one of those all time greats had the ball, I believed something will happen. If they played against my team, I was scared. It didn't matter where on the pitch it was, really. I never felt the same with any of the great goalscorers. Give them the ball out of the penalty box and make them create something? I don't mind, it's rarely dangerous. And often enough that makes the difference in games against other top teams. A team with a decent playmaker and a great striker is imo easier to defend than a great playmaker feeding a decent striker again and again.

Brazilian Ronaldo is more difficult to classify, because imo he didn't really fit either category. I agree that at Inter, he was the fulcrum of the team. Everytime he touched the ball, I started worrying and he created a lot on his own. Without his injuries it wouldn't be a discussion, imo, and he would be part of that top tier. With how his career played out, I really have no clue where to put him but he probably hasn't done enough to be part of that top tier, even if his ability at his sadly very short peak is up there with the best of all time.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I've deleted a few posts here which mentioned the Messi-Ronaldo comparison and if it keeps happening I'll keep doing it. This has nothing to do with Messi v Ronaldo.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Many have said that CRonaldo is a better player now. But, I'd say, if he's just being the same player for 4 seasons or so, as the player when he was with us and won that Ballon D'or, he'd be higher on the list of all time great. He might have broken less records, but that CRonaldo while scoring for fun, was still exciting to watch and had bigger influence on the overall team performance.

As supporters, team getting result is more important than (sometimes) football style. And winning is highly related to goal(s). But for football fans in general, artistry is more important, where football is not just a sport, but also entertainment.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
It's not just that though, is it? with those facets come the key elements, which are control and influence. When a player can control a game and seemingly bend it to his will, he is seen in a different light to those that cannot.
That to me is and always will be the X-Factor for the top tier.

Yes, goals win games, but need service, and even scoring you can lose... Great defenders can "only" ensure you don't lose. Enter the goat benders (:p) and they can pretty much win the important games and tournaments on a whim. That's why I also tend to rank Platini higher than people usually do.

It is also why I keep refusing to have Messi in the very top tier, he is an absolutely cracking player with an incredible record, including winning everything in sight as a key player in a certain system. I avoid "fulcrum" because he is surrounded by the likes of Iniesta and Xavi, but it's very clear Barca are lightyears from their best without him, to his credit.

Can he bend a game/tourno to his will for Argentina though? He clearly hasn't. Time is on his side but by the end of his career he will have had enough opportunities for no excuses to be accepted. He's played 2 World Cups and 2 Copa Americas already with nothing to show for it, he's got two, maybe even three of each to go, you can't blame the manager with so many opportunities. Maradona wouldn't blame the manager, he would ignore him if needs be.

I think he has all the attributes to pull it off, except one so far: when he tries to take charge for Argentina his team-mates delegate to him, and he is left fighting his own brilliant but individualistic battle. That is exactly the opposite from what a goat bender does. Yes, play is delegated to them, but everyone retains and is well aware of their role and contribution to the execution. It's a team sport after all.

krazyrobus

I don't see why Romario couldn't enter as a contender. A great goal scorer, not someone who you would consider a creative fulcrum of his team but he did take brazil to 1994 world cup.

If he was fit for the 98 world cup who knows...

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I don't see why Romario couldn't enter as a contender. A great goal scorer, not someone who you would consider a creative fulcrum of his team but he did take brazil to 1994 world cup.

If he was fit for the 98 world cup who knows...
In more than one way, without him I wouldn't be surprised if they had missed out altogether.