Can anyone who thinks we should have an overhaul or sack Mourinho post here please and explain why?

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Go....

Stealth temporary ignore list thread.

Last edited:

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
If you want to have a proper shot at the league next year, just sack Mourinho and hire Conte (incidentally he is on his way out at Chelsea and not committed yet). He will keep most of the current roster while drilling them much better and getting them to work as a unit worth more than the sum of its parts. United is also well into Conte's usual narrative when taking jobs at underperforming clubs.

Fully Fledged

Hoofing the ball up to Fellaini to head down should never be a plan A yet we do it in every big match if he's fit.

Last edited:

Devil may care

What does overhaul constitute? Personally I think 4 in and 4 out would be enough this summer, I associate the term overhaul with a much larger number on comings and goings.

I want him gone because I dislike everything about how he approaches football, I hate that he's reactionary rather than proactive, I hate that he is always more worried about the other teams strengths than in taking the game on and enforcing our strengths on the other team any time we face a half decent side, and I loathe the boring, negative, dull, lifeless style of football scattered with lots of hoofball that he employs like we are a big budget Pulis side. The results are neither here nor there for me, we are well off winning a PL and further off a CL, I just want to see us build towards getting there using a positive, exciting, attacking style of football like we are seeing from our fellow chasers Spurs and Liverpool, so I felt no different after the Liverpool game than I did after Sevilla, the results are secondary to the type of side he is turning us into, for me.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Do you think that in the long run he will be able to unite all the pieces and play like that Chelsea from years ago ?, or like that Madrid of the 100 goals ?.
Was not the second season the highlight of Mourinho's teams?
Do you think that with the investment made the results are optimal?
Two or three signings will fix the "balance", and after that everything will start to work well ?.
Pogba suddenly is going to accept Mourinho´s tactics and start to perform? and if it is not Pogba, the elite player "x" will accept the style of play?
Another coach could assure you better or similar results playing better?

In my case, none of the answers are favorable to Mourinho, so I would sack him.
Perhaps it´s not only his fault, but the owners, or the director of football/board of transfer,etc, if there is one

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
As if the reasons haven’t been outlined elsewhere...
Shhhh... I'm using this thread to flush out some of the biggest moaners so I can put them on ignore temporarily because they are doing my head in.

Nice option at the end of the page to show ignored content, hadn't noticed that before @Niall. Useful...

Last edited:

Kapardin

Jose shouldn't be sacked. We are not Real or Chelsea to sack a manager who has us in a comfortable league position. I still have faith in him. He needs to man up to his mistakes though. Just accept he was tactically off in the CL game rather than defending himself.

We do need new players though. 2 FBs, 2 CMs, a RW and Martial playing on the left consistently. Do that and we will be more or less there.

AndyJ1985

I want him sacked because he's killing my enjoyment of watching United. Simple as that.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
No way would I sack him before another season.

See if he can complete his building in the Summer and see how he goes.

manunited1919

The last thing we need is an overhaul. More than anything we need a settled team. All we need to do isfor Mourinho to figure out a way to get the best out of Pogba AND Alexis. Easier said than done.

Then for next year, 1 midfielder (and give McTomminay game time), 1 or 2 fullbacks. People will say we need a central defender, but we have good options there. Perhaps sell Phil Jones and buy another CD.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Should he be sacked? No
Do I have faith in him taking us to the level to challenge City and other top clubs? No.
Quite frankly, i don't know what we should do.

parkthebuslads

(I am very much of the opinion that Mourinho should be sacked.)

First and foremost, football is about entertainment (at least to me). His brand of football and attitude has completely destroyed all the joy I took from being a fan. I expect this to remain unchanged.

Secondly, I do not believe he is capable of improving us to the extent that I would hope for. Beyond the improvements yielded from spending an obscene amount of money, I see so sign that he's having a positive effect on the team. I expect this to remain unchanged.

Edit: I also believe he will now be more of a hindrance than a help in attracting future signings.

Martin(6)Buchan

I want him sacked because he is killing the club I love, we do not play negative football never have and it should continue god how that has changed !

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Do you think that in the long run he will be able to unite all the pieces and play like that Chelsea from years ago ?, or like that Madrid of the 100 goals ?.
Was not the second season the highlight of Mourinho's teams?
Do you think that with the investment made the results are optimal?
Two or three signings will fix the "balance", and after that everything will start to work well ?.
Pogba suddenly is going to accept Mourinho´s tactics and start to perform? and if it is not Pogba, the elite player "x" will accept the style of play?
Another coach could assure you better or similar results playing better?

In my case, none of the answers are favorable to Mourinho, so I would sack him.
Perhaps it´s not only his fault, but the owners, or the director of football/board of transfer,etc, if there is one
I on the other hand feel the answers could be favourable to Mourinho. To answer the points 1-6

1- Some of the pieces are still missing, providing that's addressed sure why not? No one knows for sure
2- In terms of league points we're seeing massive improvement, the problem is City raising the bar before we've even reached it so yes obviously Mourinho needs to do even better
3- Yes and No. Injuries to Pogba at a time he was bang at it haven't helped us stay competitive during the first part of the season. Bailly's been a miss as well even if the stats appear to gloss over his absence
4- Possibly yes, no one knows for sure
5- Not going to happen so Mourinho is going to have to find another role for him
6- It's not a given Poch would come to us even if we did want him (nor do I think he'd be the right man for the job), we're not going to get Klopp (nor would I want him) and we're not going to get Pep so who is the other coach that's going to do better? Mourinho is the best man for the job at this moment in time

Djemba-Djemba

Should he be sacked? No
Do I have faith in him taking us to the level to challenge City and other top clubs? No.
I'm in the same boat.

Depressing really.

Jose has so many of the qualities I want in a Utd manager but he also brings with him some terrible flaws, and you know he won't change his managerial style now.

simplyared

Facts: We are playing unentertaining football and have been doing so since LVG. Jose's tactics are the same as his and probably will not change. We keep feeding him some slack every time we grind out a result, still accepting the lack of entertainment. We tend to judge him on his last performance instead of looking at the bigger picture. If we sit down and constructively analize where we are today considering money we've spent, performance level, what we are dishing up for the fans in terms of entertainment value, and the fact established top players are grossly underperforming, then the manager must stand and be counted.
Next question and the most important: what chances are there for him to turn this round and get us back to being a force to contend with in Europe and a serious challenger for the PL title? Jose's record of turning negative trends around are not good. He tends to bale out when his back's to the wall. Getting knocked out by Spains 5th best team and allowing players such as Jonjo Shelvey and Nzonzi to dominate us in games, is nothing more than an embarassment.
I'm part of the group that expect a lot more from a club of Manchester United's stature. We've always had the best fans in the world. We fill our stadium no matter what. We were relegated in the 70's under Tommy Doc but still got the crowds. The fans deserve better!

Web of Bissaka

Squad overhaul? Sure, but step by step, one transfer window after another. We've been doing that since he came in anyway. More and more quality players coming in, and more and more of the averagees are shown the door.

Sack Mourinho? Not yet. More chances to see whether he'll adapt more positively and more importantly, add more quality players to the team, he's good at that. Then, if he still fail to adapt, sure, if there is good alternative manager available. I think Ancelotti should be fine managing the strong classy squad then.

Danny Heavican

I don’t think he will be sacked. I think we will see at least one more season under him. More than likely 4 players in and 4 out in the summer. I don’t think a complete overhaul is needed. If after this summer he continues the boring defensive approach then it will be time to go.

Jose needs to accept his style of play is dated and he needs to change and adapt. SAF did this many of times over the years. If his own ego will let him do this I don’t know. If he can I still think he’s the right man for the job.

Reactions: Penna

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Overhaul is silly but improving our league position (in other words, winning the damn thing or being a heck of a lot closer), going further in the CL, going all the way to the final in one or both of the cups. Even if we don't play the most exciting football, the result comes first and the performances comes second. Results build confidence and play together builds cohesion, I think we are still underway with a squad rebuild but with 2-3 signings we should be there. Only thing left to do is to get the players playing to their potential.

If Mourinho takes us backwards next season then he should go.

kundalini

It depends on what he says to Woodward and the board at the end of season review. If he says I need another £150m - £200m on new players then I'd show him the door and find a new manager that is excited to work with the current group of players, with perhaps one or two additions.

Mourinho from Porto through Chelsea first spell to Inter produced astonishing results. Mourinho's record from Real Madrid to Chelsea to United looks average given the size of the clubs, and the success/failure of the managers before and after him at those clubs.

Key questions for me are:

- he inherited Rashford and Martial. Why has he not got more out of them ? Why the need to bring in Sanchez to play on the left ?

- Why do Mourinho favourites get to stay in the team despite horrible performances, while others get dropped after one or two bad games ?

- Why the negative football against Sevilla ?

- Why has a woefully out of form Sanchez been selected for important games ?

- Why have we failed to challenge for the title ? Zlatan, Pogba, Bailly and Mkhitaryan were bought for that purpose. Then Lukaku, Matic and Lindelof. Yet we haven't come remotely close to challenging.

- What is going on with Pogba ? If he isn't a central midfield player, why was he bought ? Wasn't Matic meant to be the player that allows Pogba more freedom ?

If he says that he will play more attacking football, get more out of the current group of players, perhaps bring in a top quality left back and make use of some of the players currently out on loan, then I would be willing to let him stay for another season to see if he can deliver a serious title challenge.

I'm not worried about Mourinho leaving. I don't believe our chances of success are reliant on him being our manager. His managerial genius hasn't been much in evidence while at United. An improvement on LVG for sure.

In the past Mourinho was a short to medium term manager. Expecting him to deliver success in years 4 or 5 of a project seems a bit of a leap. Going on previous history, things get ugly either in year 3 or the early stages of year 4.

Last edited:

SAFTHEGREAT

Managerial record by team and tenure
Team From To Record
P W D L Win %
Benfica 20 September 2000 5 December 2000 11 6 3 2 54.5
União de Leiria July 2001 23 January 2002 20 9 7 4 45.0
Porto 23 January 2002 2 June 2004 127 91 21 15 71.7
Chelsea 2 June 2004 20 Sept 2007 185 124 40 21 67.0
Internazionale 2 June 2008 28 May 2010 108 67 26 15 62.0
Real Madrid 31 May 2010 1 June 2013 178 128 28 22 71.9
Chelsea 3 June 2013 17 Dec 2015 136 80 29 27 58.8
Manchester United 27 May 2016 Present 109 67 24 18 61.5

Total 874 572 178 124 65.4

This above table plays to Jose's favor and that's probably why we aren't able to understand as to what is happening at United now. When Jose got every one of those trophies and wins, he played exactly the way he is currently playing at United but the world has evolved and so has the football. We dropped 2 of our predecessors because they couldn't evolve and i think we have the same problem with Jose. He's experienced and all that but our football has not evolved and that's probably why either he needs to change or we change the manager and look for someone like Luis Enrique or even Anchelotti.

charlenefan

Facts: We are playing unentertaining football and have been doing so since LVG. Jose's tactics are the same as his and probably will not change. We keep feeding him some slack every time we grind out a result, still accepting the lack of entertainment. We tend to judge him on his last performance instead of looking at the bigger picture. If we sit down and constructively analize where we are today considering money we've spent, performance level, what we are dishing up for the fans in terms of entertainment value, and the fact established top players are grossly underperforming, then the manager must stand and be counted.
Next question and the most important: what chances are there for him to turn this round and get us back to being a force to contend with in Europe and a serious challenger for the PL title? Jose's record of turning negative trends around are not good. He tends to bale out when his back's to the wall. Getting knocked out by Spains 5th best team and allowing players such as Jonjo Shelvey and Nzonzi to dominate us in games, is nothing more than an embarassment.
I'm part of the group that expect a lot more from a club of Manchester United's stature. We've always had the best fans in the world. We fill our stadium no matter what. We were relegated in the 70's under Tommy Doc but still got the crowds. The fans deserve better!
On the two highlighted parts you cant constructively analyse performances based on money spent without also looking at whether those players have actually been available, in the cases of Bailly he's had two season halving injuries in his two years here. Pogba missed 3 or 4 months of this season and no sooner was he back then went and missed a further 3 weeks of football due to suspension. Injuries will be used by detractors as an excuse but it's no more of an excuse as using money spent as a stick to beat him with

As for the crowd do they deserve better? Are they the best fans in the world? Away fans are great, the atmosphere due to in part the fans at OT is abysmal

Adisa

I'm in the same boat.

Depressing really.

Jose has so many of the qualities I want in a Utd manager but he also brings with him some terrible flaws, and you know he won't change his managerial style now.
What had me me going was the belief that with better players, he would be more expansive and more proactive in going after teams.
The Sevilla games killed that for me.
We were up against a side that has inferior quality in a must win game but he still resulted to what we saw I've the two legs.
I've just concluded that, that's who he is and what he's most comfortable doing.
The results might still improve but fundamentally, he will never change.

Bruce Wayne

I don't think United need overhaul. Jose will handle under performing players and he can attract top talent to the club.

We won 2 cups last year - improved our league position. No way we would have won champions league this year.

Give it time; this is only Jose's second season! He already won us a few trophies!

charlenefan

What had me me going was the belief that with better players, he would be more expansive and more proactive in going after teams.
The Sevilla games killed that for me.
We were up against a side that has inferior quality in a must win game but he still resulted to what we saw I've the two legs.
I've just concluded that, that's who he is and what he's most comfortable doing.
The results might still improve but fundamentally, he will never change.
I think that's true also, game plan on Tuesday night seemed to be mimic the one against Ajax in the Europa League final (Fellaini's role in particular) only it went horribly wrong. Best thing there though would be let Fellaini leave so we cant ever try and do that again

Should he be sacked? No
I feel the same, i've said several times now that the next manager we need to take a risk. I.e Tuchel, Jardim both have won trophies both believe in developing youth and both play attractive football and don't set their teams up to hide in big games.

I feel like if we want to get anywhere we need to take a risk to get to the next level. All this safe/negative football is the ultimate bridge to nowhere.

ravi2

Should he be sacked? No
Summed up the way I feel

Krits

If there is a real evidence of Mourinho losing the squad, then he should be sacked. But I don't see that happening.

The football world has turned in to a cesspool of impatient people, or so I thought. Till I read back about the number of people that wanted Fergie out at first and then again in the early 2000s. The difficult part about football is. There is only 1 winner. Everyone else is a loser. Some teams just have better season than others. What matters is that a foundation is being laid for some consistency.

People forget that we started this season really well. We lost momentum and confidence and these things happen.

I don't care about the press comments, I don't care about what we think the players might think. What matters is the atmosphere within the club. If a winning atmosphere is being created then I'm ok with it. A winning mentality will eventually lead to victory. This is the one thing you hear coming from all great sides. This is the one thing I trust Jose for. Is that he will not keep people around who don't have that mentality.

An FA cup would be nice, but I'll take a top 4 finish this season with some improvement next season and I'm from the generation that started watching united as winners, this is all I know the club to be about till Fergie left.

So in conclusion, I am not saying he has to stay or he has to go. I feel he hasn't earned an answer either way yet. Lets wait and see. Give the man another year at least.

Louis Van Gonads

I want him sacked because he's killing my enjoyment of watching United. Simple as that.
Same. I can accept a few bad results but the style of play is horrendous. Our players have no idea what they're doing in the final third. It has been the same for years though.

I don't think he should be sacked immediately but we should start planning to replace him as it's likely he will try and engineer his own exit before it comes to that.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
If you want to have a proper shot at the league next year, just sack Mourinho and hire Conte (incidentally he is on his way out at Chelsea and not committed yet). He will keep most of the current roster while drilling them much better and getting them to work as a unit worth more than the sum of its parts. United is also well into Conte's usual narrative when taking jobs at underperforming clubs.
Isn't one of the reasons he has a foot out of the door at Chelsea because he wants to go home, back to Italy?

Nitewolf

I think the mindset when we hire him was to do the following:
1. Build a strong team: partial success, Lukaku, Pogba, and Bailly are excellent addition. However, the midfield still lacks a lot in quantity and quality, the defense is in shambles, we play the most mediocre wingers in our recent history as fullbacks. So, 5 out of 10.

2. Back to Trophies, quickly: he did that, EFL cup, Europa league, that was decent for first year. Going on to second we expect improvement, which clearly did not happen. 2nd position in PL is not what we hire Mourinho for, out of CL in the round of 16 to Sevilla is definitely a disgrace with the amount of good players at Mourinho's disposal. So, for me, he failed this season, even if he grap the FA cup.

So, for the abovementioned goals what did we sacrifices, we know from day 1 what kind of a manager he is. Yet we had a mass delusion that he is going to change, that being in a team of a bigger caliber and more prestige will change Mourinho and somehow he will change the way he play football, the way he handles the media, yet he didn't. Off course he didn't, and won't be changing that, never ever. He's an underdog manager, so he manage the underdogs, not the presumed champion, he doesn't have the character to take the initiative against any team which is not weak. He will never entertain, he will never dominate.

So, the question for us is, if we are willing to sacrifices beautiful football, fluid attack, the way we brand our club, for Mourinho's presumed success, what if he doesn't bring success? What if he fails, and he clearly heading that way, coz deep down we all know he is never gonna catch Pep or even Klopp.
Answer yourself this question, if Mourinho has the same trio of Ronaldo, Ronney and Tevez now, how do you think he will play against city or Liverpool? If you know deep down that it's gonna be a boring game and Ronaldo is gonna be playing the whole game in front of our left back, why are we giving him more money in the summer again??

I didn't even touch on the instabilities and doubts he brings to his clubs. We have all read about Martial and Pogba's news of leaving the club.

Sack him, bring someone who knows a thing or two about fluid attacking football, Sarri, Tuchel come to my mind.

Last edited:

Adisa

Lol, we are complaining about the football and you suggest Conte.

IronLionBryan

What does overhaul constitute? Personally I think 4 in and 4 out would be enough this summer, I associate the term overhaul with a much larger number on comings and goings.

I want him gone because I dislike everything about how he approaches football, I hate that he's reactionary rather than proactive, I hate that he is always more worried about the other teams strengths than in taking the game on and enforcing our strengths on the other team any time we face a half decent side, and I loathe the boring, negative, dull, lifeless style of football scattered with lots of hoofball that he employs like we are a big budget Pulis side. The results are neither here nor there for me, we are well off winning a PL and further off a CL, I just want to see us build towards getting there using a positive, exciting, attacking style of football like we are seeing from our fellow chasers Spurs and Liverpool, so I felt no different after the Liverpool game than I did after Sevilla, the results are secondary to the type of side he is turning us into, for me.
Sums it up nicely. If I felt we were building towards something I would say, ok, let's wait and see; but it seems we are destined for a few more years of trying to nullify our opponents rather than striving for success on our own terms.