Can Conte win a title for Spurs?

Chief123

Maybe if he played better in the match he wouldn't be so frustrated.
What do you expect him to do? Conte has just him and Son up front with no decent supply. That’s all on Conte.

I honestly don’t remember Son having more than 5 touches.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
What do you expect him to do? Conte has just him and Son up front with no decent supply. That’s all on Conte.

I honestly don’t remember Son having more than 5 touches.
That was because Utd played really well as much as it was a pack of quality to be fair. It's a terrible performance tonight but hopefully we can get ourselves together for the weekend. Need Kulusevski fit.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
That's the quietest I've ever seen Kane and Son. Kane had one snapshot from outside the box and one offside attempt.

Remember the geese

It was the worst performance I've seen since Conte came in. We really really miss Kulusevski.
It's much more than just missing one player. You simply cannot be successful with this manager. Spurs are the only club in the top 6 who don't have a manager who wants to play or even knows how to coach, dominant and progressive football.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
That's the quietest I've ever seen Kane and Son. Kane had one snapshot from outside the box and one offside attempt.
Kane had another shot first half that De Gea saved, which Kane picked up again, hammered it in and caught Dalot in the face/neck area, some of the players complained to the ref that he should have stopped the game immediately, like he did when Dier caught it full in the face.

Tony247

There is quality gap between united and spurs but still it was too easy for united. No way spurs can win the title.

tomaldinho1

Kane had another shot first half that De Gea saved, which Kane picked up again, hammered it in and caught Dalot in the face/neck area, some of the players complained to the ref that he should have stopped the game immediately, like he did when Dier caught it full in the face.
He also had the close range shot like 2 metres out but a bit wide of the goal which hit DDG’s foot. I thought that was 1-1 but was a good save.

Chief123

Looking at the spurs forum, it looks like the majority of them have had enough as well. It was the most obvious failure after Jose’s appointment.

It’s not only boring football, it’s football that isn’t going to win them anything either.

Relfy

He is probably the best manager they could have got, and not sure who they could replace him with - I can't think of anyone looking for a job with a winning pedigree like Conte (I am excluding Tuchel due to his Chelsea connections), who they could realistically get through the door. I fully agree they don't play attractive football, but we all knew this when he was appointed, and it was a major reason United didn't go for him when they had the chance to do so.

They'll do OK in the league, as they have enough about them to win a good chunk of games, and they might go deep in a domestic competition, which I think is their best chance of a trophy. It won't be the league title and it won't be in Europe either.

Rojofiam

He is probably the best manager they could have got, and not sure who they could replace him with - I can't think of anyone looking for a job with a winning pedigree like Conte (I am excluding Tuchel due to his Chelsea connections), who they could realistically get through the door. I fully agree they don't play attractive football, but we all knew this when he was appointed, and it was a major reason United didn't go for him when they had the chance to do so.

They'll do OK in the league, as they have enough about them to win a good chunk of games, and they might go deep in a domestic competition, which I think is their best chance of a trophy. It won't be the league title and it won't be in Europe either.
Tough lack for them IMO...when Conte is the 5th/6th best manager in the league it tells you how stacked the PL is in that department. If they had this team and manager between let's say 2014 - 2017, they would've won the title IMO...these days they'll be more than happy with top 4.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
It's much more than just missing one player. You simply cannot be successful with this manager. Spurs are the only club in the top 6 who don't have a manager who wants to play or even knows how to coach, dominant and progressive football.
That is clearly nonsense.

tomaldinho1

Tough lack for them IMO...when Conte is the 5th/6th best manager in the league it tells you how stacked the PL is in that department. If they had this team and manager between let's say 2014 - 2017, they would've won the title IMO...these days they'll be more than happy with top 4.
What?
Pellegrini’s City, Jose’s Chelsea, Conte’s own Chelsea are comfortably better to varying degrees than this Spurs team. Leicester are the only anomaly and I think they’d have beaten this Spurs group to be honest.

flappyjay

That is clearly nonsense.
If you were looking to win the champions league he would be the worst option, for anything else he is a good option. If levy backs him again next summer (whilst keeping Kane) he could win spurs something.

Remember the geese

If you were looking to win the champions league he would be the worst option, for anything else he is a good option. If levy backs him again next summer (whilst keeping Kane) he could win spurs something.
Yeah a tin pot cup maybe. He isn't winning the Premier League and that should be what the end goal is.

Valencia Shin Crosses

I understand people's respect for Conte because of his historical league success, but at this point it's been shown over and over again that this type of uber pragmatic football just loses against modern pressing tactics more often than not. Of course with Kane and Son you can nick goals and get good results especially against lesser sides for points sake, but the style just eventually wears down your players and it gives Spurs no room for error defensively. I remember thinking the same thing when Jose was with us, we'd sit so deep and defend comfortably while trying to nick counters at the other end, but if you are allowing a team to swing endless crosses and shots into the box it only takes one of them to nick off a player and all of that hard work was for nothing.

I do think he'll be relatively successful for Spurs, but there's a reason I was vehemently against him coming here last year.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
That's the hope

Remember the geese

His record is there for all to see.
Regardless of what his record says or doesn't say, in an era where progressive football and dominance via possession and intense high pressing is King, you simply cannot win the Premier League by doing your best Jose Mourinho impression. In a one-off game, yes. It could even win him a lesser cup of some description. Over 38 games though, it simply won't work. I'm delighted we don't have him as our manager. No idea what Spurs are playing at by appointing these horribly negative managers.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Regardless of what his record says or doesn't say, in an era where progressive football and dominance via possession and intense high pressing is King, you simply cannot win the Premier League by doing your best Jose Mourinho impression. In a one-off game, yes. It could even win him a lesser cup of some description. Over 38 games though, it simply won't work. I'm delighted we don't have him as our manager. No idea what Spurs are playing at by appointing these horribly negative managers.
We aren't going to win the premier league we haven't got the resources to do it. It would take a miracle to do it. A club with our finances are doing very well to get top 4. You could appoint Pep and it wouldn't change that fact. That's the reality.

lysglimt

Scout
The problem is probably more - will Conte be around long enough for Spurs to win a trophy ?

lex talionis

Spurs fans should hold their head up high that they’re even in the conversation for fourth place this season. We and Arsenal botched last season, but that’s not likely to happen again this season.

The serious concern for a Spurs is the dour play Conte puts out. I can’t imagine that this would acceptable next season. This season, fine, but another another.

Remember the geese

We aren't going to win the premier league we haven't got the resources to do it. It would take a miracle to do it. A club with our finances are doing very well to get top 4. You could appoint Pep and it wouldn't change that fact. That's the reality.
Was Conte aware of this when he signed up, or was he brought to the club under false pretences? He doesn't seem to have the personality that would settle for being a perennial also-ran.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Was Conte aware of this when he signed up, or was he brought to the club under false pretences? He doesn't seem to have the personality that would settle for being a perennial also-ran.
He isn't stupid so of course he would have been aware that we are not one of the Uber wealthy clubs in the league backed by a country.

What surprises me is that maybe you didn't realise this. We have consistently over achieved in the last few years when you consider our resources compared to our rivals.

Mr. Robot

He isn't stupid so of course he would have been aware that we are not one of the Uber wealthy clubs in the league backed by a country.

What surprises me is that maybe you didn't realise this. We have consistently over achieved in the last few years when you consider our resources compared to our rivals.
You’re quite passive aggressive with a lot of your posts, Balaks. I’m sure you mean well but tribalism aside, Spurs are Spursy and Conte wears a wig.

Just an observation.

BorisManUtd

Well with Conte, Kane and Son + signings Conte made since arriving, I actually thought that perhaps, if City and Liverpool underachieve, Spurs could challenge for title. Seems unrealistic already. Conte won it with Chelsea in 2016/17 before Pep and Klopp really started going and now it's different situation. Kinda reminds me of my belief that we could win the league with Jose, but reality was that competition in 2017-2019 (and now) was much different to the one from 2014-16 period when he won it with Chelsea.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
You’re quite passive aggressive with a lot of your posts, Balaks. I’m sure you mean well but tribalism aside, Spurs are Spursy and Conte wears a wig.

Just an observation.
I'm defensive of my team in here because they tend to get a lot of crap thrown at them and I'm constantly having to try and counter some of the narrative built up over many years about spurs. I don't intend to come across as passive aggressive and if I do I apologise. I absolutely love Spurs and our matches are one of the few things I look forward to each week. It's one of the things I'm very passionate about in my life, probably too much at times.

I do have to remember I'm in an opposition teams forum.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Yes, I didn't realise this. I gave Spurs far too much credit in not believing that top 4 was some sort of glass ceiling for them. What a sad existence.
Your post sounded like you thought Conte has been lied to by Spurs and he didn't know what he was getting into. That to me suggests you think Conte is the sort of guy who does no research on the teams he agrees to manage and blindly just accepts whatever a team chairman tells him. I think that is highly unlikely and even us as fans all know that Spurs do not live in the same planet as the likes of City, Chelsea, Utd and now Newcastle in terms of our ability to pay fees and wages to attract the really top players.

You may not like it but without that it makes it extremely unlikely that Spurs will be able to win the league. That's just a fact and it's the nature of the modern game. I wish it was different because I'd love nothing more than to see us do it but I have to be realistic and understand that we are doing really well to compete with those teams.

Now does this mean it will always be this way? No it doesn't because who knows maybe we will be the next club to be bought by a free spending country or multi billionaire. Until then though, unless Joe Lewis changes his mind, we will always be playing with a handicap compared to the top teams.

As an example if Kane came through another club's academy do you think Spurs would have a shot at getting him? The answer is almost certainly no. That's the difference.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Well with Conte, Kane and Son + signings Conte made since arriving, I actually thought that perhaps, if City and Liverpool underachieve, Spurs could challenge for title. Seems unrealistic already. Conte won it with Chelsea in 2016/17 before Pep and Klopp really started going and now it's different situation. Kinda reminds me of my belief that we could win the league with Jose, but reality was that competition in 2017-2019 (and now) was much different to the one from 2014-16 period when he won it with Chelsea.
This season the aim is top four and any talk of a title challenge is totally unrealistic. A lot will depend on the next two transfer windows as we still have a lot of areas we need to improve on. If, and it's a big if, Joe Lewis properly opens his checkbook and gives Conte several hundred million quid and we bring in the right players then maybe next season we might have a shot at challenging the big boys but I'll believe it when I see it.

erikcred

Arsenal also had the same idea and really ran with it.

Flexdegea

This season the aim is top four and any talk of a title challenge is totally unrealistic. A lot will depend on the next two transfer windows as we still have a lot of areas we need to improve on. If, and it's a big if, Joe Lewis properly opens his checkbook and gives Conte several hundred million quid and we bring in the right players then maybe next season we might have a shot at challenging the big boys but I'll believe it when I see it.

No offence lad but you always try to paint this picture of spurs can't go for anything, and get real defensive about it when any one who not a spurs fan sets the bar a bit higher for them and what they should be aiming for, no wonder they get the spursy tag.

Conte was 100% told he be backed to win stuff, doesn't matter what you think of the resources available or not to him compared to other clubs. He got backed there.

The big elephant in the room as well is arsenal who yous finished ahead of last season, are taking the fight to city and high up the table so why is it unrealistic for spurs to be thinking like this too, when they've got a winner as a coach, best front line in the league, and he was backed after a top 4 finish to get into the champs league?