Can Conte win a title for Spurs?

Elcabron

A better question is would Pep win a title at spurs? With same resources as Conte has, no more, no less. If Conte finishes top four again that would be a great season for them.

Last edited:

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
No offence lad but you always try to paint this picture of spurs can't go for anything, and get real defensive about it when any one who not a spurs fan sets the bar a bit higher for them and what they should be aiming for, no wonder they get the spursy tag.

Conte was 100% told he be backed to win stuff, doesn't matter what you think of the resources available or not to him compared to other clubs. He got backed there.

The big elephant in the room as well is arsenal who yous finished ahead of last season, are taking the fight to city and high up the table so why is it unrealistic for spurs to be thinking like this too, when they've got a winner as a coach, best front line in the league, and he was backed after a top 4 finish to get into the champs league?
The difference between us and Arsenal is that they have supported their manager with a lot of money and have given him 4 years to build the team and they are seeing the benefits of that now. I hope Conte is given the same time and backing as Arteta has been given because if he does then yes possibly we could push on and challenge for trophies and possibly even the league title but in my experience of supporting Spurs for almost 40 years I have no faith at all that this will happen. You may see me as pessimistic and defensive however that is only because of what I have seen over those years - the best example I can give was the transfer windows after Poch got us to the Champions League final - that was the time to really push on and invest in the team and go for it, what happened? They didn't buy a single player for two transfer windows and our squad deteriorated until now we need a full rebuild (which Conte is now mid-way through). That made me lose all faith in our ability to really do what we need to do to win a title.

Believe me I would LOVE it if I was proved wrong.

Rojofiam

What?
Pellegrini’s City, Jose’s Chelsea, Conte’s own Chelsea are comfortably better to varying degrees than this Spurs team. Leicester are the only anomaly and I think they’d have beaten this Spurs group to be honest.
Alright, I phrased it incorrectly. He could've won the title with this squad in those years. Especially in 2014 and 2016, Spurs would've been there in the title race up until the very end IMO. No guarantees, though. In this era, though, they don't have a chance.

Abraxas

He can but not with this squad and this style. He'd need significant funds to retool them. Maybe he plays this negatively because he has no faith in them, I don't know, but I don't see it as title winning football.

Chief123

Think the title needs changing to “Can Conte win the fans over?”

He’s parking the bus in home games against Newcastle.

Irwin99

I have no idea how you fix a club like like Spurs and you get them from being a top 6 club to the next step of being actual trophy winners. Poch was easily the best thing that happened to them for a long time but even that failed.

Their fan base always seems toxic as feck too.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Can feel a Conte meltdown coming soon if he isn’t backed in Jan.
Only Spurs could get Mourinho and Conte meltdowns without the success part first.

It was pretty predictable with present day Mou but I thought Conte would at the very very least give them a high akin to Pochettino's peak first.

Chief123

I have no idea how you fix a club like like Spurs and you get them from being a top 6 club to the next step of being actual trophy winners. Poch was easily the best thing that happened to them for a long time but even that failed.

Their fan base always seems toxic as feck too.
I bet there is a large chunk of spurs fans who’d rather see football that Poch played even if it meant they don’t win anything than watching this tumescent football. I fully expect spurs to get another late winner here and let the stats paper over the cracks again. We need Conte to sign that new contract and stay as long as possible.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I bet there is a large chunk of spurs fans who’d rather see football that Poch played even if it meant they don’t win anything than watching this tumescent football. I fully expect spurs to get another late winner here and let the stats paper over the cracks again. We need Conte to sign that new contract and stay as long as possible.
Am i the only one who doesn't buy them being entertaining under Pochettino?

They were one of the best this league has seen in terms of forcing opposition mistakes but I thought the they were pretty meh entertainment wise and often looked clueless against parked buses.

The last time I enjoyed watching Spurs play as an opposition fan was the under Redknapp.

JuriM

They weren’t that entertaining under Poch. His football was never that enthralling either.
The season they knocked out Real Madrid and went all guns blazing vs Juventus in CL they were really easy on the eye and the most neutral team to watch.

Chief123

Am i the only one who doesn't buy them being entertaining under Pochettino?

They were one of the best this league has seen in terms of forcing opposition mistakes but I thought the they were pretty meh entertainment wise and often looked clueless against parked buses.

The last time I enjoyed watching Spurs play as an opposition fan was the under Redknapp.
I think that’s harsh. I thought they played some good football and I used to be craving for us to play a similar style when we were tumescent at the same time.

High line, high pressing football with Son, Eriksen, Alli and Kane on fire along with Walker, Rose, Trippier constantly bombing forward. It was exciting to watch in large parts.

At the time Poch was one of the very few teams to adopt the high line, high pressing football which it now feels nearly every team is trying.

Djemba-Djemba

They've lost to every half decent side they've faced this season.

Against the dross they're often rubbish but somehow pull off the win and steal 3 points. Unsure how sustainable it is long term, but it's very annoying to see for now.

Irwin99

Reminds me a bit of Ole's time here. Everytime you think they're going to totally sink and their manager is facing the sack they somehow stage a comeback. As we know though, these things don't last and it's not sustainable in the long run.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
I find Spurs by far the most irritating team in the league right now. They’re terrible yet they just won’t go away. Absolutely terrible against any decent team but somehow get all these wins when they should be drawing or losing.

RVN1991

Really been impressed with Bentancur this season. Didn't know much about him before he joined spurs but seems to be a very complete midfielder with good passing, work rate and even pitches in with some crucial goals, seems to be good in the air as well. He was a little bit sloppy with his passing today but won them the game basically.

Chief123

It’s just not sustainable. I don’t regard them as a top 4 threat having watched them most of the season. Eventually they’ll run out of luck.

HookedOnAPhelan

I wouldn't bet against Conte in the league. If they get another defender in January, they'll finish in the top 4.
Normally I wouldn't either, but they've been really poor so far this season, and seem to be on a downwards trend. I expect them to fall behind in the second half of the season.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I find Spurs by far the most irritating team in the league right now. They’re terrible yet they just won’t go away. Absolutely terrible against any decent team but somehow get all these wins when they should be drawing or losing.
With general quality in final third they're one of those teams that dosen't need endless possesion/chances to score. Also very good from set pieces. Kuluveski is a really good player for them so get him and Son either side of Kane for run of 10 games and they'll stil win games.

Falling apart at the back for them though. Think that's now 11 goals conceded in last 5 with Dier making endless mistakes so not finishing top 4 with that defensive downturn (Romero is a huge miss in fairness).

Surprised more wasn't made on here of them easily being knocked out by Forest in midweek. FA cup is only realistic thing they can win this season now.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I think they'll drop off and it'll be United and Liverpool who get 3 and 4. Best footballing sides to get top 4 IMO. Their good start to the season is the only thing keeping them up there right now.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
He is where he was expected to be, in spite of the latest difficulties and fatigue… after that, they would need more players in January for keeping their runs on… McKennie is rumored being Paratici’s main target for the midfield.

Orion.

I think that’s harsh. I thought they played some good football and I used to be craving for us to play a similar style when we were tumescent at the same time.

High line, high pressing football with Son, Eriksen, Alli and Kane on fire along with Walker, Rose, Trippier constantly bombing forward. It was exciting to watch in large parts.

At the time Poch was one of the very few teams to adopt the high line, high pressing football which it now feels nearly every team is trying.
Agree with you - Pochettino and Klopp are the only two coaches in the top 6 who’ve played exciting football since 2015. Pep’s is mind numbing and actually stifles the talent at his disposal, whereas Ten Hag seems somewhere in between, and can’t be judged until he’s had more time and signings.

Poch’s Spurs didn’t win anything due to a lack of squad depth and PEDs, in my opinion. If he’d had the City or even United budgets/depth of quality he’d have collected numerous trophies.

Chairman Steve

They’re incredibly unimpressive yet stumble their way to wins.
Sounds like United under Solskjaer a lot of the time :nervous:

It looks unsustainable though. It’s a red flag if that type of win is a regular occurrence.

BorisManUtd

They concede lots of goals for a Conte team. January transfer window could be important for them like it was last season.

Lee565

Why did southgate take dier again? If the rumour is true that he watched tomori against Chelsea twice and decided against him being good enough for England, then southgate must have avoided all of spurs matches

Pintu

The season they knocked out Real Madrid and went all guns blazing vs Juventus in CL they were really easy on the eye and the most neutral team to watch.
They’ve never knocked out Real Madrid. They won the group (beating Madrid 3-1 and drawing 1-1) but they got KO:d by Juventus in the next round… Real went all the way and won it. Agree they were fun to watch back then.