Can Ronaldo/Cavani be our Ronaldo/Benzema?

Rajma

I think Ronaldo would benefit from a partner like Cavani and his ability to occupy the defenders with his work rate and world-class movement. Similarly to how he was utilized at RM by playing off the Benzema. That would require consistently benching Sancho/Greenwood given one remaining slot in the attacking front three. Should this be our main strikeforce? This way Pogba can also drift to the left much more.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
No, Cavani isn't anywhere near Benzema when it comes to creating chances and also Ronaldo is not the same old Ronaldo.

tomaldinho1

Feel like you're not factoring in father time here. If this question was 5-6 years ago, then maybe...you'd rather Ronaldo with Benzema or a Suarez type.

flappyjay

It will most likely be one or the other rather than playing together unless it's the last 10-20 minutes and we are looking for a goal.

Rajma

No, Cavani isn't anywhere near Benzema when it comes to creating chances and also Ronaldo is not the same old Ronaldo.
Don’t think Benzema has created many chances for Ronaldo either it was all about maximizing Ronaldo’s output and giving him the space to operate as Benzema was keeping the defenders honest and busy.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Cavani is nowhere near that good.

Don’t think Benzema has created many chances for Ronaldo either it was all about maximizing Ronaldo’s output and giving him the space to operate as Benzema was keeping the defenders honest and busy.
Benzema did much more than that. Top class player.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Benzema's hold up/link up play was arguably the best in the last decade, dont think Cavani of today can match that. I think Martial is closest to that in our squad but he has poor work rate.

MrEleson

Ronaldo can’t operate as a pure CF and most on here will see that after a few games. He needs another striker in the mould of Cavani or Martial to use as a reference point/foil in attack. You will find that he’d rather play as a roaming left forward in a front 3 rather than the out-and-out striker... or in a front 2. He can’t operate as the #9 in a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3. Juve already tried this when he first arrived there. Don’t get me wrong, he can still do a job in those roles but it doesn’t get the best out of him at all.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I love the idea of a Ronaldo, Cavani, Greenwood front 3. Lots of goals! Would need a hardworking 3 behind them though, not sure we really have that.

ROFLUTION

Ronaldo can’t operate as a pure CF and most on here will see that after a few games. He needs another striker in the mould of Cavani or Martial to use as a reference point/foil in attack. You will find that he’d rather play as a roaming left forward in a front 3 rather than the out-and-out striker... or in a front 2. He can’t operate as the #9 in a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3. Juve already tried this when he first arrived there. Don’t get me wrong, he can still do a job in those roles but it doesn’t get the best out of him at all.
So basically what Rashford does?
Except for tracking back less

MrEleson

So basically what Rashford does?
Except for tracking back less
Yes exactly that. In fact, Rashford will probably be the player affected most by his arrival if we play 4-3-3.
Based on the personnel we have id say our best front 3 to getting the best out of Ronaldo is:

Sancho/Greenwood- Cavani - CR7

gajender

I love the idea of a Ronaldo, Cavani, Greenwood front 3. Lots of goals! Would need a hardworking 3 behind them though, not sure we really have that.
There would be no creativity we would actually struggle for goals .

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Depending on the COVID rules, Cavani is hardly gonna feature for us in the next few months if I'm informed correctly.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
They're nothing alike. Can they play together up front though? Sure.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Yes exactly that. In fact, Rashford will probably be the player affected most by his arrival if we play 4-3-3.
Based on the personnel we have id say our best front 3 to getting the best out of Ronaldo is:

Sancho/Greenwood- Cavani - CR7
I'd rather play one of Cavani or Ronaldo. We need to use our advantage of pace, skill and youth to hurt teams in attack, not ruin it by playing two veterans.

Rashford/Pogba - Ronaldo/Cavani - Greenwood/Sancho (can play LW too), for me.

Cavani's general play is not that good and Ronaldo will want to conserve his energy to focus on scoring goals.

gajender

Isn’t what Pogba and Bruno are in the team for?
Post I quoted said hardworking Midfield three behind them and Solskjaer it seems is reluctant to play Pogba and Fernandes in the Midfield three as well so there is that .

Apart from that front three made up of only goal scores seldom work you need to have creator there as well for balance that's why we look better with Pogba playing there and why we spent big bucks for Sancho.

sp_107

I like this one but only worry is what happens to Martial/Rashford/Sancho

Rajma

Post I quoted said hardworking Midfield three behind them and Solskjaer it seems is reluctant to play Pogba and Fernandes in the Midfield three as well so there is that .

Apart from that front three made up of only goal scores seldom work you need to have creator there as well for balance that's why we look better with Pogba playing there and why we spent big bucks for Sancho.
It can be Sancho instead of Greenwood as he has more playmaking abilities but crucially I think having Ronaldo to play as number 9 will prove costly as he’s totally dependent on service now and won’t offer much hold-up play. It didn’t work at Juventus or Portugal to any great success. I think he now needs a proper CF alongside to bring the best out of his remaining qualities. We’ll see tough as it’s difficult to predict how it’s going to pan out.

norm87cro

Benzema was such a natural SS to Ronaldo and I don't see it despite me rating Cavani more individually

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I’d try sancho, Ronaldo, Greenwood… plenty of goals there with Ronaldo and Greenwood, sancho will provide along with Fernandes… my only worry with having Ronaldo and Greenwood in the same team is Greenwood can be greedy at times and Ronaldo use to be accused of being selfish. If Greenwood doesn’t pass as much as he should then he will frustrate Ronaldo.

Rajma

Nice overall thread

Transferring this post from another thread on Ronaldo in here as I found it very relevant.

Ronaldo still prefers to be a roaming left forward rather than #9 people expect him to be.

MrEleson

Transferring this post from another thread on Ronaldo in here as I found it very relevant.

Ronaldo still prefers to be a roaming left forward rather than #9 people expect him to be.
Yeah he can really only play as a ST if he has another real striker with him. If he’s the lone striker he struggles

LoneStar

Looking at that heatmap, it looks like he does roam as LF more than a pure 9.

Here's an idea - We play him as a LF with Bruno as a false 9 and Sancho/Greenwood on the right.

That way we can play Pogba, DVB, and one of McFred in the midfield

Leonzo1

Both Ronaldo and Cavani are not fit enough to start every week. They will be rotated depending on our schedule. Of course they will play together on occasion but I'm thinking they are each other's replacements witch will be fantastic for us. Two world class ruthless number nine's with a killer instinct for goal.

Rajma

Both Ronaldo and Cavani are not fit enough to start every week. They will be rotated depending on our schedule. Of course they will play together on occasion but I'm thinking they are each other's replacements witch will be fantastic for us. Two world class ruthless number nine's with a killer instinct for goal.
Possibly two of the fittest athletes in our squad unable to start every week? There can be many reasons why we won’t see them often lining up together but fitness is not one of them in my book.

Rajma

No, Benzema is on another level compared to Cavani. Sometimes it's criminal how underrated that guy is.
I think you’ll find that Cavani is actually more underrated around here than Benzema.

Bwuk

He’s going to start off the left. I’m not sure why people think he’ll play at 9.

Ronaldo - Cavani - Sancho with Greenwood/Martial rotating in is probably our starters until Rashfords back.

Kostov

I think you’ll find that Cavani is actually more underrated around here than Benzema.
I didn't mean here or among United fans. Benzema in general is very underrated, the guy has been one of the best ST in the world for a decade but always in the shadow of Ronaldo. Wish we got him back from Lyon.

fluxx

What´s with all the cavani hate?? He was massive for us last year

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
No Cavani is no Benzema, totally different types of players

Cassidy

Ole has said he wants him in the box, he wont be drifting anywhere

Rajma

Ole has said he wants him in the box, he wont be drifting anywhere
It will be stupid decision in that case but time will show. Why bother with Ronaldo and his huge salary when we already had Cavani as our fox in the box? Doesn’t make any sense.

Cassidy

It will be stupid decision in that case but time will show. Why bother with Ronaldo and his huge salary when we already had Cavani as our fox in the box? Doesn’t make any sense.
Cavani cant play all the games and Martial is no longer trusted. And Ronaldo is better than Cavani