Can this team challenge for the title?

Giggsy13

Martial strikes me as someone who wilts at the thought of any pressure or competition for his position. He and his agent cried on social media when he lost the no.9 to a walking legend in Zlatan, which coincided with some very poor spells under Jose. Now Cavani is providing competition for his place and he seems completely off again. He’s 25 now and I doubt he’s the long term answer.

Sara125

Probably about the same amount that Salah or DeBryne have done so for league winning Liverpool or City.

the whole point of signing a creative CM is to help score goals.
You still need other good players on the team. What happens when Fernandes gets injured? Anyway my initial point about inconsistency was more so about performances than results. I still stand on what I believe: this is not a title winning team.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Getting top 4 is a already a big enough challenge. The way it is currently going there won't be that much between top and 5th.

RashyForPM

When it mattered, Chelsea beat United 3-1 (July 20, 2019). In season 2020, United finished 33 points behind Liverpool.
Unlike United, Chelsea has moved measurably further forward. In the C.L., Chelsea has 13 points and United have 9 points.
For an eighth consecutive season, United's Achilles heel continues to be their characterless and injury-prone players, poor manager and massive inconsistency.
My point is that only the present matters and that fact do not lie.
I’ll address your points one by one.

1) The FA Cup semi wasn’t the only United-Chelsea game that mattered last season. Ludicrous to say that. Our two wins in the league helped us finish above them, thus they definitely weren’t inconsequential. I’ll give you the Carabao Cup win.

2) Chelsea finished 33 points behind Liverpool too.

3) Yes, they’ve certainly progressed further than us. However, Ole wasn’t helped by the Glazers not obtaining his targets while Roman backed Lampard with all his targets and more. Can’t blame Ole too much for that. It’s a well known fact that if a manager has an owner who cares above him, he has an advantage.

4) Using their CL points tally and comparing it to ours is a real mischievous way of finding a stick to beat Ole with. Chelsea’s pot 1 and 3 opponents are Sevilla (winners of the EL) and Krasnodar (who?), while ours are PSG (CL finalists) and Leipzig (CL semi-finalists). Enough said.

5) There are many avenues of which we can use to criticise our players, like the inconsistency factor as you said. However, calling them characterless is totally misguided. If you have no character, you don’t come back in 5 away PL games in a row, beat PSG away after being pegged back or obtain such a fantastic points total after lockdown, thus not bottling CL qualification.

6) Yes, the present does matter, but our league-topping points tally since Bruno’s arrival shows that it is going quite swimmingly.

In short, find the elusive consistency and imo, this team can challenge for the title. It’s a big ask of course.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
You still need other good players on the team. What happens when Fernandes gets injured? Anyway my initial point about inconsistency was more so about performances than results. I still stand on what I believe: this is not a title winning team.
And after our transfer window, no one has claimed this is a title winning team, nor is that a realistic expectation!

And good performances without translating into winning games is a useless pursuit anyway.

Water Melon

Are we in a worse position compared to Leicester under Ranieri? This season the league is fairly open, seeing past it Jose doing really well, should give us an idea about the currenr state of the prem. Hopefully, we do not drop off early again.

bsCallout

Those three isn't proper CDM ? Who do you think the proper CDM and will help us ?

I am still think we need both winger, improve there will help striker get more chance. More chance mean more goal, more goal mean more win.
Well Partey was the obvious one we missed out on.

Declan Rice would probably be a good option.

nokoya

Declan Rice would probably be a good option.
heh ?!?!?!? based on what ? one game against us ? omg then. Most player perfom very good against us, but when they join us. They became poor. There are so many example after Sir Alex.

Fellaini, Schneiderlin

So, we need winger winger and winger :)

bsCallout

heh ?!?!?!? based on what ? one game against us ? omg then. Most player perfom very good against us, but when they join us. They became poor. There are so many example after Sir Alex.

Fellaini, Schneiderlin

So, we need winger winger and winger :)
No. Based on watching him for the past 3 years.

Murray3007

expected us to challenge this season and come up a bit short, considering how poor a start we had if we win our game in hand we are only 2 points of top, which is actually some acheivement considering majority of the performances this season. if can get to Jan not far away add a couple of new players then we have a great chance of challenging for this league.

Next six: Sheffield U, Leeds, Leicester, Wolves, Villa, Fulham.
I predict a good run, and that the clash against Liverpool 16th jan, will be between number 1 and 2 on the table.

spontaneus1

Hamster, damn!
This season will belong to whoever can put together a good run of form. Liverpool are as bad away from home as we are at home, and Spurs and Chelsea have dropped points again this week. Still only 5 points off the leaders with a game in hand so we are far from out of it yet.

ForeverRed1

This is the best chance we have had in recent times. No one has won more points than us since January, if we can replicate that run from the end of last season, we can win it!

we seem to bottle it these days though so let’s see!

if we can stay in the mix all the way through then it’s a good sign of progress.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Listen I don't think for a second we're in any kind of title race but if it's this tight come January and we don't invest to try and make a genuine challenge well it says it all about the ambition of the board

SER19

Next 6 games decides it. Should be aiming for big points haul while rivals have tough fixtures. Do that and I think we'd go to anfield full of confidence

PoTMS

Under Ole? No. We've shown that when the going gets tough this season, we fold. We are far too inconsistent for a title push with him in charge.

Under Poch? Yes. One, he's an actual quality coach who would be welcomed in with open arms at pretty much every single club unlike our current coach and two, the new manager bounce effect could really see us cross the line in terms of winning the league,.even if it was to turn to shit in a year or so.

SER19

Next six: Sheffield U, Leeds, Leicester, Wolves, Villa, Fulham.
I predict a good run, and that the clash against Liverpool 16th jan, will be between number 1 and 2 on the table.
Hard to imagine since so many are acting as if we're staring a bottom half finish in the face

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I’ve just seen our goal difference. Certainly not that of title contenders, even at this stage. It is a weird season though.

Polar

Yes... All the top-teams are struggling, and none of them play impressive football these days. We could be only two points behind Tottenham. Almost unbelievable considering the team has a lot more to offer.

Last edited:

A-man

I think this team can fight for the title this season.
1. We have many players who are far from their highest level. If they can improve we will be a much better team. Example Martial and Greenwood
2. After watching most matches today I can’t really say there are any teams that are clearly better than us. It feels very open.

eire-red

Any team that can put a consistent run of victories together this season could be right up there come the end of January. From there it's a question of your bottle.

Can we do that? If we win our next 6 games on the bounce (which should definitely be the goal) then we should be up there with the rest.

Consistency has been the major issue under Ole. If we can sort that out, then who knows.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
If Ole wins the league this season with this squad then credit has to be given to him massively to make it work because we have unbalanced XI at the moment. Even I don’t think Klopp wins it with this squad, we are lacking 2 or 3 players in my opinion.

Our centre backs have weakness that don’t compliment each other. A top centre back is a must simple.

We are depending too much on Fred in our midfield as McTominay is limited while Matic is ageing. It means we are fecked in midfield if he’s injured.

Our creative source is coming from the middle with no creative winger for width. Which is why the manager wanted either Sancho or Grealish because we need creative wide player.

And Martial needs to hurry up to find his form back again. We aren’t going to win the league with him scoring 0, relying on teenager or 33 years old striker who can’t starts every games.

sugar_kane

Here’s what’s going to happen guys:

That Burnley game in hand is going to hang over us the majority of the season, and all the while we’ll keep saying we’re only X points off top with a game in hand.

We’ll then get to April or so, and somehow miraculously only be two points behind top spot (Liverpool) with a game in hand, having just gone on an insane run of form.

We’ll then rock up on a Tuesday at Turf Moor and proceed to get beaten 2-0, and end up just about scraping top four again.

hn4united

I actually think we have been extremely lucky to find ourselves where we are in the table atm. I’m not saying we don’t have the squad quality to be where we are but we haven’t performed to the level of our squad qualities.
With some luck on our side and favorable results from teams around us, we’ll continue to stay in the position close enough to compete.

wolvored

Think we will win next 2. Lose to Leicester. Draw with Wanderers and Villa then beat Fulham 11 pt's out of 18

George Beast

A Pool Spurs draw and a win from us would put us 3 points behind them with a game in hand :cool:

DRM

No. Here's why:

- Defensively we are not great. Our fullbacks don't really contribute to the attacking play (just look at TAA, robertson, chilwell, reece james, reguilon).
- No right winger. And please don't mention Greenwood who is still very raw
- CF's not performing this season. Rashford only has 3 league goals and Martial hasn't even registered a goal. We're relying on a 34 year old. Look at spurs with Kane and Son, Liverpool with Mane and Salah.
- We are far too inconsistent. CL group epitomises this. Top after beating PSG and liepzig yet we still don;t go through. We go into every PL game not knowing whether we will come out on top! Even against Sheffield United on Thursday, who are bottom of the league with a single point, there are still doubts as to whether United can go there and get a result! Is that really the hallmark of champions??
- Ole is not a top class manager

And for me, the biggest reason is we are simply not better than the likes of Chelsea, spurs, city and Liverpool, who will go on to retain the title. I mean, they're joint top despite having monumental injuries. Once all their players start coming back, they will run away with the title.

Giggsy13

We have enough quality to challenge this season. It’s much like 2016, so if we go on a run similar to the second half of last season then we should be close.

The issue is whether a title challenge for our squad would be a one off and something we could build on next year. Inevitably Chelsea and city will reload in the transfer market again, and the dippers won’t stand still either if they lose out on the title this season. Our owners are the wild card as always. If we come close, they may not feel the need to invest heavily in a quality CB or RW like Sancho.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
At least there’s a chance. It’s a lot more interesting than it being over the end of November like most years
After matchday 11 last season we were already 18 points behind top spot but also crucially already 10 points off of fourth.

Steve 007

Can we win the league? No
Why? Forget the points and look at our goal difference. Spurs plus 14, us plus 2.
The lowest in the top half.
Chelsea plus 13, Liverpool and Leicester plus 9. Our defending at times is verging on ridiculous and we are at any point seconds away from a meltdown.

I was incredibly optimistic in the summer.
I thought our defence was half decent, two good goalkeepers, a great defender at right back.
An in form front three that I hoped could kick on.
I was worried we might sign Sancho ending the growth of Greenwood who I believe can be a future Ballon D’or winner. Plus we have Fernandes and I hoped VDB would either replace Pogba or give him a massive kick up the arse to be the player he thinks he is.

What’s really happened?
De Gea has been better but not as good as we know he can.
Maguire had a nightmare off field and it’s affected his form.
Shaw got injured, Bailly got injured.
Our right back cannot attack and we have no right winger.
Greenwood has had a blip as most teenagers do.
Martial is not as good as I’ve always thought/hoped he was.
VDB hardly gets a game and Pogba still thinks his performances are world class.
We have no best 11 and are playing two non creative midfielders every game.
Can we win the league? No, 3rd would be an achievement.

troylocker

Under Ole? No. We've shown that when the going gets tough this season, we fold. We are far too inconsistent for a title push with him in charge.

Under Poch? Yes. One, he's an actual quality coach who would be welcomed in with open arms at pretty much every single club unlike our current coach and two, the new manager bounce effect could really see us cross the line in terms of winning the league,.even if it was to turn to shit in a year or so.
Funny post. Poch has really showed the world how good he is at winning stuff, hasn't he? And you just seem so certain.....

With the strange dynamics of the league this season, I actually think Ole can put up a race for it. We are not favourites, but it's not impossible.

georgipep

Quite odd that he remains unemployed then,huh?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

Rose, Walker, Kane, Vertonghen, Aldeweireld, Dembele, Eriksen. These 7 players would have been upgrade for our XI and Poch still couldn’t win the league with better quality players. What can he do with worse players to compete against Liverpool who are better than Leicester & Chelsea were when they won the league?

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Martial strikes me as someone who wilts at the thought of any pressure or competition for his position. He and his agent cried on social media when he lost the no.9 to a walking legend in Zlatan, which coincided with some very poor spells under Jose. Now Cavani is providing competition for his place and he seems completely off again. He’s 25 now and I doubt he’s the long term answer.
I thought one of the reasons Martial was good during the restart was the fact Ighalo put in some good performances in February and March. You might be right, though, because Cavani is at another level.

Pablo76

A Pool Spurs draw and a win from us would put us 3 points behind them with a game in hand :cool:
Mental season that we can be so poor at times yet we could effectively go joint top.

To put that into perspective a little though, if Villa win their games in hand they’ll be clear league leaders.