Can this team challenge for the title?

Widow

CDM ? We already have 7 central midfielder no matter DM CM CDM AM all central.

Look at how we success under 92'ers, Beckham Giggs natural winger each side. We need someone like them to delivery not keep buying central midfielder.

Getting another Central midfielder will not increase our performance and will be stuck like current situation only, depend on individual skills.

A strong dcm will increase our performance massively. We need that player that can give the two CD protection a class dcm will also free up players like DVB or Pogba to play higher up the pitch. We play two holding cms, McT & Fred in our big games now as neither are good enough to do the job alone.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
There is no chance in hell this team challenges for the league title :lol:
While the performances probably don't merit it, it's a strange strange season and no reason why we can't IF he can get Rashford, Martial and Greenwood firing again. At the moment fine margins are costing us to be consistent.

bsCallout

CDM ? We already have 7 central midfielder no matter DM CM CDM AM all central.

Look at how we success under 92'ers, Beckham Giggs natural winger each side. We need someone like them to delivery not keep buying central midfielder.

Getting another Central midfielder will not increase our performance and will be stuck like current situation only, depend on individual skills.
Thats an unpopular opinion. Edgy.

We have so many midfielders because they arent good enough. Arsenal have been doing the same since Viera.

With a proper CDM we wouldnt need Fred, Matic or McT to start. We either play Matic who is too slow or we play 2 players who sit in Fred and McT but we dont have the attacking width from the fullbacks to make it work.

BFernandes

On the face of it, never. But this season is weird. What the eyes see don't seem to tally up with our pretty extraordinary statistics.

We've collected more points since January than any other team in the league. Couple that with 9 consecutive away wins in the league on the bounce, then this place should be bouncing, but it just feels like we're always one loss away from a major crisis.

Maybe had we lost that Spurs game 1-0, and collected something in Turkey, then this place would be more optimistic. But those defeats were such low points it's difficult to forget them in a hurry.

Plus we've had a real habit over the last few years of bottling it when it's all on the line. Before lockdown we seemed to be doing our best not to get forth despite Chelsea not wanting it either. Three semi-final defeats and false dawn after false down, we're bound to be skeptic.

Reactions: Sultan

Gasolin

Well this season didn't start at project restart. Simple logic.
Project restart started 69 games ago. But consistency over multiple games is encouraging, so the team just needs to continue doing the same thing. If we pick up the points, we will win the league.

Sara125

To challenge for the title you actually need to be good in both halves. Not just one or come the 60th/70th minute mark.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
To challenge for the title you actually need to be good in both halves. Not just one or come the 60th/70th minute mark.
Erm you literally need to win games by 1 goal and that’s it. You don’t need to be ‘good’ at all. And who defines what ‘good’ is?

Rojofiam

Makes you wonder where we'd be if we had signed Grealish or Sancho... reminds me of the frustration about us not signing Bruno in the summer and waiting till January.
Exactly what I mean, and we haven't even mentioned Haaland. I don't think a manager should expect to get every single target he desires, but we got none of Haaland, Grealish (though I'm happy with Donny), Sancho and Bellingham (so far).

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
My sentiments too. Admittedly this is a really strange season - but we are so inconsistent and play awfully at time.
Alternatively to put a positive spin on it, we're not going to go an entire season playing as badly as we did in the 1st half, eventually our players are going to click.

But in any case, this isn't a normal season of football so anything can happen with coivd football. A squads fitness and form can tank and with the amount of games in close proximity it can destroy a season.

Slosh McZit

Thought I’d start a positive thread amongst the negativity brought upon by this transfer window. So, if by some chance Woodward pulls through and gets us all our supposed main targets before Tuesday ends, this leaves us with the team:

DDG
AWB Lindelof Maguire Telles
Pogba Matic
Sancho/Dembele Bruno Rashford
Martial

Subs: Deano, Bailly, Shaw, McT, VdB, Greenwood, Cavani

Reserves: Romero, Rojo, Tuanzebe, Williams, TFM, Fred, Mata, Lingard, James, Ighalo.

Instantly, you notice a top first XI and more importantly in this congested, tiring season, good squad depth, including some decent players who can’t even make the 18 on a day when everyone is fit. I wouldn’t say it rivals Liverpool’s squad just yet (although, the depth does), but if these guys hit good form like many did at the back end of last season, we can beat anybody on any day.

So, stick to the thread please. No transfer talk here. Can this squad challenge for the title?
No chance. Sancho and Dembele are never going to happen. Other than VD Beek, Bruno, Mata and Cavani, the team is full of characterless and immature players. Macguire is an awful Captain. Ole is a second-tier manager. Even on their worst day, Liverpool, City and Chelsea will crush United.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
At what point does a team become title challengers exactly anyway? We are challenging right now, but it means little unless you are in there with a strong mathematical chance with 4 or 5 games to go.

Can we challenge? Sure why not. We are going to lose some matches but so is everybody else. People look at these comeback wins as a reason why we can't challenge, when they are just as likely to be a reason why we can. We arent always going to start slowly and we arent always going to turn around losing positions, but when we look back in May we might look at this period as a defining one. 3 points when you aren't at your best are priceless.

Plymouth Red

Any Manchester United team should be able to challenge for the title. Our PL record was built on fierce self belief, determination to win, an inability to give up until the last whistle and a level of hunger most others couldn’t live with.
There‘s no question we have enough talent in this squad. We have plenty of people around the team and staff with experience of winning medals.
We also have a unique opportunity to capitalise on a situation where our rivals all have different issues to contend with.
If the team can’t take advantage of these factors, they don’t deserve silverware.

Eli Zee

Yes. We are fully capable of winning every game. The odds of us winning the title aren't really better than any of the other current top 5 teams, but we can definitely challenge. Just need to be consistent and beat the teams we should beat while doing decent against teams in the top 5.

Davie Moyes

Whilst I don't think we are good enough to challenge as we have too many weaknesses, it is a strange season.

We are too reliant on Bruno and also not solid or consistent enough. We don't put teams to the sword, we are not clinical enough and teams are not afraid of us.

One thing I don't understand is why we are being criticized for making comebacks. I love it and loved under Fergie never knowing when we are beaten.

Remember 3 or 4 years ago where it felt if we went a goal behind our two, that's it game over. It would reflect how mentally weak the team were and lack of leaders.

Saddy

If we can beat City next week by starting well and winning.

Then it all depends on fitness levels & player management especially Bruno - but of course it's a yes.

meamth

We're 3 points away from the top, 81 points since the restart, and on course for the next stage of CL.

But still, I believe that things hasn't clicked for us, yet. Let's see what hasn't clicked this season:
  1. Martial - He has been very unlucky this season, things haven't gone well for him so far. But we all know he got the ability to drive us forward, it's the question of when will this bad run of form ends. Considering the fact that he was coming back from his best ever season for us, I believe he will, and I'm a believer of form, class is permanent.
  2. Pogba - Since his performance for France, he shown better physicality, he is looking more sharper, and who knows, when things going well for him, we will benefit so much from him. One can only imagine when him and Bruno starts firing and delivering the goods.
  3. New signings settled - We have seen what Cavani, Telles and VDB can do for us, but never forget that they are new signings learning the PL and the United pressure. If they can settle down quickly and click with the team, we're going to be stronger than ever before since Fergie's squad.
  4. Mason Greenwood - His improvement can deliver us more goals and excitement to the season. His growth seems stagnated since the start of the season, but once the onus is on him and he settled down this season, he can add more potency to the team.
  5. Right wingers incoming - Comes January, Pellistri will be settled more for the first team, and we're welcoming a prodigy in Diallo. From then on, we can only imagine what's the excitement will be when we're going forward. Cannot wait.
The season is up and running and we're on track! There are still things that haven't clicked, and I can only have wild dreams what if all of it clicked for us. We should be up there as one of the best teams in England/Europe.

This team, is the most United, since Fergie. There are loads of potential left to be fulfilled.

Falcow

My sentiments too. Admittedly this is a really strange season - but we are so inconsistent and play awfully at time.
I think performance wise we are getting better as the season is progressing which is positive.

The squad, in my view at least, is good enough for around the 85 point mark which should be a challenge.....this year at least.

We are perhaps missing that top class striker that all title winning teams had...Cantona, Henry, Ruud, Ronaldo, Drogba, Rooney, Aguero, Vardy, Salah. Cavani could have been that guy a couple of years ago maybe but he is just that but too far past 30 to do it now. All the rest we have are still too inconsistent, Rashford included.

Falcow

We're 3 points away from the top, 81 points since the restart, and on course for the next stage of CL.

But still, I believe that things hasn't clicked for us, yet. Let's see what hasn't clicked this season:
  1. Martial - He has been very unlucky this season, things haven't gone well for him so far. But we all know he got the ability to drive us forward, it's the question of when will this bad run of form ends. Considering the fact that he was coming back from his best ever season for us, I believe he will, and I'm a believer of form, class is permanent.
  2. Pogba - Since his performance for France, he shown better physicality, he is looking more sharper, and who knows, when things going well for him, we will benefit so much from him. One can only imagine when him and Bruno starts firing and delivering the goods.
  3. New signings settled - We have seen what Cavani, Telles and VDB can do for us, but never forget that they are new signings learning the PL and the United pressure. If they can settle down quickly and click with the team, we're going to be stronger than ever before since Fergie's squad.
  4. Mason Greenwood - His improvement can deliver us more goals and excitement to the season. His growth seems stagnated since the start of the season, but once the onus is on him and he settled down this season, he can add more potency to the team.
  5. Right wingers incoming - Comes January, Pellistri will be settled more for the first team, and we're welcoming a prodigy in Diallo. From then on, we can only imagine what's the excitement will be when we're going forward. Cannot wait.
The season is up and running and we're on track! There are still things that haven't clicked, and I can only have wild dreams what if all of it clicked for us. We should be up there as one of the best teams in England/Europe.

This team, is the most United, since Fergie. There are loads of potential left to be fulfilled.
Great post.

But 81 points since restart! Really?

Agree that there are a lot of positives but if we lose to RB on Tuesday and then City at the weekend, its going look very bleak.

Sara125

You just need to win 3 pts in every game.
Erm you literally need to win games by 1 goal and that’s it. You don’t need to be ‘good’ at all. And who defines what ‘good’ is?
My point is inconsistency will bite this team on the ass when there are teams who can dominate in both halves and not have to always rely on individual brilliance.

meamth

No. Our points per game ratio since the restart would mean 81 points over a full league season.
My apologies, but yeah, if all the things clicked for us, who knows what we can achieve this season?

I'm so excited for this team.

Giggsy13

Some how miraculously we’re 2 points from 1st. We can compete for the title, if we show some ambition in the January transfer window by adding another player who could make a Bruno like impact.

We should of course go to Leipzig with the primary intention of getting the win but then should also be hashing out the details on a January deal for Upamecano. If we don’t, you can definitely expect the scousers to try.

RashyForPM

No chance. Sancho and Dembele are never going to happen. Other than VD Beek, Bruno, Mata and Cavani, the team is full of characterless and immature players. Macguire is an awful Captain. Ole is a second-tier manager. Even on their worst day, Liverpool, City and Chelsea will crush United.
Chelsea and City played alright in our 5 total wins against them last year. In fact, we actually ‘crushed’ Chelsea 4-0 last year. Chelsea actually also played alright when we drew 0-0 and ought to have beat them in October. What’s your point?

lex talionis

With no club running away from the rest of the pack and with us scratching out wins, yes we can.

But I suggest we keep our feet on the ground for just a more weeks. If we can bring home wins over City, Sheffield and Leeds, a bit of euphoria over the prospect of a serious PL trophy run can be entertained.

Falcow

No. Our points per game ratio since the restart would mean 81 points over a full league season.
Ah right, apologies. Thanks for clarifying. Could be a bit higher only for our brain fart of a start to the season.

Falcow

We've got 40 points from a possible 57 since the restart. Which is the best in the league for what it's worth. City have had 42 from a possible 60 who is 2nd best.
Thanks. Interesting. Would have though we were much higher than City who seem to have been pretty pants since....by their own standards at least

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
My point is inconsistency will bite this team on the ass when there are teams who can dominate in both halves and not have to always rely on individual brilliance.
like this level of inconsisteny?

nokoya

Thats an unpopular opinion. Edgy.

We have so many midfielders because they arent good enough. Arsenal have been doing the same since Viera.

With a proper CDM we wouldnt need Fred, Matic or McT to start. We either play Matic who is too slow or we play 2 players who sit in Fred and McT but we dont have the attacking width from the fullbacks to make it work.
Those three isn't proper CDM ? Who do you think the proper CDM and will help us ?

I am still think we need both winger, improve there will help striker get more chance. More chance mean more goal, more goal mean more win.

lex talionis

Mind boggled we didn’t go in for Partey. Although I greatly appreciate the job Matic can do in spot situations, he’s clearly unable to 2x/week for us. And neither Fred nor McT have the right jib for the job.

Slosh McZit

Chelsea and City played alright in our 5 total wins against them last year. In fact, we actually ‘crushed’ Chelsea 4-0 last year. Chelsea actually also played alright when we drew 0-0 and ought to have beat them in October. What’s your point?
When it mattered, Chelsea beat United 3-1 (July 20, 2019). In season 2020, United finished 33 points behind Liverpool.
Unlike United, Chelsea has moved measurably further forward. In the C.L., Chelsea has 13 points and United have 9 points.
For an eighth consecutive season, United's Achilles heel continues to be their characterless and injury-prone players, poor manager and massive inconsistency.
My point is that only the present matters and that fact do not lie.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
And in how many of those matches did Bruno save us or we took the game by the scruff of the neck in the last 20 mins?
Probably about the same amount that Salah or DeBryne have done so for league winning Liverpool or City.

the whole point of signing a creative CM is to help score goals.

Giggsy13

The Cafe has made the discovery of the century: Teams must rely on good players to win. This is going to change the game.

Matt851

Martial has been unlucky this season, really?

He has been god awful in everyway