g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Can United realistically win the CL this season?

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
I'd have Lukaku over Milito.
Fair enough

Milito scored two goals in the CL final though. I want to see Lukaku perform on the biggest stage first, although he probably is more talented.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Comparing players like for like is a pointless exercise. Football's not that predictable, certainly not in a knock-out scenario. All about the team dynamic and belief. We'll know in 2 or 3 weeks the effect Sanchez has had on our dynamic but I certainly give us a chance.
Exactly. There's no point. You could start comparing absolutely immense teams who never went on to win the CL's then.

Trizy

We're going to win it after beating Bayern in the final.

Paxi

Fair enough

Milito scored two goals in the CL final though. I want to see Lukaku perform on the biggest stage first, although he probably is more talented.
No doubt he was good that season but Lukaku is having a good season for us as well and like @Still ill said it's pretty pointless comparing players.

On paper, Real and Barca should have 25 CL's each to their name right now but we all know it doesn't quite work like that.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Yes. Every team that qualifies for the quarter final can realistically win the CL. It's a matter of two 2-legged ties and a single final. United is a team that can keep a clean sheet against anyone so they can win it.

ghagua

At the start of the season I would have laughed it off, but now not so sure. There are still better teams in the tournament, but if we can play a controlled game against the bigger teams, I think we can go far. Maybe not win it, but semi finals. We have the firepower and a decent defense, our issue will be the middle of the pitch where we cannot seem to dictate play against better opposition and lose our heads.

Mr Smith

I would prefer to wait until we get past Sevilla and know the draw for the QF. But anything is possible in the Champions League.

Inter Yer Nan

We have a chance but clearly aren't favorites but we are much closer to being favorites than a total outside bet. Obviously Jose knows how to win the cup and we have proven to be a good cup team under him so with the added brilliance of Sanchez and Pogba coming into world class form I'm being cautiously optimistic.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
If we could somehow avoid City, PSG and Barcelona then of course, unfortunately though I actually don't think it's realistic that all 3 of those teams will be gone by the final

cyberman

Nobody really has a standout midfield, that gives everybody a chance imo.

Minimalist

Higher chance that most would think. Defend well and you usually do decently well in the CL. Need a huge slice of luck though to win it.

davidmichael

One of Real or PSG are going out and over two legs I’d back us to beat everyone else apart from Barca and the Real/PSG winner. If we got a favourable draw i.e Roma/Donetsk or Porto/Liverpool in the quarters then someone like Bayern or Juventus in the semis then I’d back us to reach the final.

In a one off cup game which the final is with Jose in charge and Sanchez, Pogba, Matic and De Gea all fully fit you certainly couldn’t write us off. Jose knows how to win trophies and I wouldn’t care if it was done in “Jose’s brand of football” or not if it meant winning the Champions League, imagine City buzzing from winning the league then we one up them by winning the Champions League.

BarcaSpurs

I'd have Lukaku over Milito.
Milito won the Uefa club footballer of the year award, scored winning goals for the League on the last day, winning goal in the cup final and a brace in the champions league final.
Im having Milito on that seasons form any day of the year.

Paxi

Milito won the Uefa club footballer of the year award, scored winning goals for the League on the last day, winning goal in the cup final and a brace in the champions league final.
Im having Milito on that seasons form any day of the year.
And we've yet to see Lukaku's season. He's not done very well so far. But I respect your opinion.

Camilo

I don't think so. Our football just isn't good enough, and while Sanchez will improve us certainly, it's the whole effectiveness of the team that has to improve. I suspect between now and the final we're going to run up against a team who are playing great football who'll put a few past us, and that'll be that because I don't see us coming up with any big wins.

That's fine though, baby steps! Another couple of good signings in the summer and some hard work from Jose and we should be fighting on all fronts next year.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Let's get Bailly back and see how we do with Sanchez in the side. Then we can judge. Not impossible mind you especially with Jose in charge.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
if anyone could mastermind a win with this team it's Jose.

However, it's way too early to talk of winning it. However, momentum can easily build, and if you're name is on the trophy, like Chelsea the other year, it is fate!

Building excitement getting into the later rounds would be marvellous. Cannot wait.

RedRevongge

We have a good enough first eleven to win it if everyone stays fit. If Lukaku discovers some form, Pogba stays fit and Sanchez performs at his best we have a really good team.

It would be a bit of a minor upset as there are better teams out there but Mourinho is generally good at cup competitions

SirAF

Ageist
Put it this way: the CL winners in 2004 and 2005 were even more unlikely.

Greck

Has everyone forgotten how our players play in big matches or in pressure situations? They treat the football as grenade under slightest bit of pressure, our attackers also seem to have a rush of blood and can't make correct decisions in final third. We've looked inferior to City every time we've played them and CL has better sides than City.

In football you have to be stupid to say it can't happen but barring a miracle I don't think it's very realistic.
I'm thinking the same. This isn't the typical Jose team that succeeds at spoiling the opposition's gameplan. Lukaku is yet to show he can succeed in Jose's big game setup and our CBs seem to always concede under periods of prolonged pressure. I'll keep my expectations reasonable and hope for the best

Sing you a song

If we can make top 4 watertight I think there is every chance that Mourinho will throw absolutely everything at winning the Champions league .
Neither Real or Barca or for that matter Bayern are the force they were. I would back us to beat any of the other English teams over 2 legs ( or in the final ) .
PSG would be the biggest threat but still believe playing against poor opposition week in week out in the lge will hinder them when they have to step up against the very top teams .
Jose knows how to set us up to win cups , we have the best keeper in the world , the best defence in England if not Europe in Matic and Pogba we have class in the middle of the park and have now added a world class experienced striker at the top of his game .So why couldn't we win it ?

Canagel

I'm not too confident although never say never. I'd love us to win the CL more than anything but in Europe you need to be able to keep the ball. In Defence we are strong and our keeper is the best in the world, in attack with the addition of Sanchez it's not the best but it's definitely very good however the midfield is where I feel our downfall is going to come from. We don't keep the ball well in midfield and I feel like we would be chasing shadows for most of the game against the top sides despite our attack being able to hurt anyone. In attack we can cause any team problems but only if we have the ball and you know with Jose he will set up to defend for 180 minutes and that's very difficult. In a one off game anything is possible but over 2 legs we will be found out I feel due to not keeping the ball which is the whole key in Europe. If we get to the semis it's a good achievement with this current team and if we can strengthen our midfield in the summer there's no reason why we can't really challenge for the CL next season and even be one of the favourites.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Who knows? Anything can be possible....

Sanchez might just be the missing piece of the puzzle that makes everything else fit into place, and any Mourinho team will always have at least an outside chance of defying the odds.
Believe.....!!!

RuudTom83

Most don’t like to admit it but United have been very good this season.

Before Sanchez’s arrival they were an incredibly hard team to beat! But with his arrival the attack has been improved significantly (looking at Miki/Mata/Lingard area of the pitch)

Which gives the team a timely boost going into the knockout stages...perfect timing.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Most don’t like to admit it but United have been very good this season.

Before Sanchez’s arrival they were an incredibly hard team to beat! But with his arrival the attack has been improved significantly (looking at Miki/Mata/Lingard area of the pitch)

Which gives the team a timely boost going into the knockout stages...perfect timing.
One of the best back 5 in Europe (thanks to De God), a very good midfield, a very good attack with Sanchez in the picture.

I think City, Barca, Bayern (best team in top 3 leagues) are favourites and we are just behind them.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Yeah, we're pretty underrated by people which suits us well, people will come up against us unprepared but if we can get our best players playing well then we have a real chance. That being said I think we need to ditch the 2 man midfield in big games, Pogba and Matic are brilliant players but it's so easy to play around a 2 man midfield as a 3 which a lot of the European teams play.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
We have a strong team, nobody would want to play us tbh.
Agreed, we have a really strong attack on paper now which was our missing puzzle piece IMO (barring a third very good midfielder, hopefully Herrera/Fellaini can do a good job there), strongest threat we've had on either flank in years with Sanchez being Sanchez and Martial being brilliant this season.

Shimo

With the team we have - especially with Sanchez and then adding Mourinho as manager, we should not be discounted but, till we learn how to have some composure when in a difficult situation or where we are holding on - where retaining the ball under pressure, not losing our minds when it comes to clearing the ball when under pressure - and that is against so called lesser sides - not sure how we will do against top teams that will punish us.

Mourinho needs to work better ball retention if we want to compete at the highest levels.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
Real and PSG will knock each other out with Mbappe looking likely to be injured for a while and Real being terrible, Barca and City are the real concern for me but of course I feel we can beat anyone on our day.

BenjaminP

If we get Zlatan back fit again, we may have chance. Humans can't compete with lions.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
It's possible, of course. The signing of Alexis certainly helps. There are a handful of teams I would say are stronger than us, but with decent draws & a bit of luck along the way we have a chance. We are a far better side than Chelsea were in 2012 & they did it. There were stronger sides than Porto in 2004 & Inter in 2010 & Mourinho still managed it.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
PSG and City are easy odds to win it soon, and this year may be as favorable as any.

But it's a knockout competition with Mou and a reinforced attack so anything is possible.

Theonas

Scout
Barcelona, PSG, City, Juventus and Bayern are stronger teams and are performing like it with Real Madrid being able to be as good on any given one off game. This means that realistically, no. However we have seen time and time again that with a lucky draw, anything can happen especially if you are not that far off like we are.

crossy1686

career ending
PSG and City are easy odds to win it soon, and this year may be as favorable as any.

But it's a knockout competition with Mou and a reinforced attack so anything is possible.
Barcelona will draw City and PSG will draw Madrid and we'll get a nice easy ride to the final. Start booking your tickets now!