Can United realistically win the CL this season?

Shark

@NotShark
Realistically no, but luck can play a huge part. You really never know.

James Peril

Anything can happen, we do have experience and a manager that knows how to do it. Mourinho has done it two times being a huge underdog as well. Saying that, there are some immense teams left in this tournament - and some of these teams are just way better at attacking than us, also better at attacking compared to our defending.

You have PSG and Barcelona, then FC Bayern of course, Real Madrid and City. There is a reason why City is ahead of us in the league and their manager knows how to win the CL as well. Liverpool are too dodgy at the back and Spurs have absolutely no chance. Their players would probably pee their pants when playing against one of the big dogs, in games that really matters. Chelsea too seem a bit off, you can’t win the CL with a manager that doesn’t want to be there.

Our chances are extremely thin, but they are bigger now that Sanchez has arrived.

XH6

United are 6th favorite imo after Barca, Real, PSG, Bayern, City.

The only way I can see them winning is if they get an easyish path to the final like Madrid 2016 or United 2011, but that's quite unlikely given the number of top teams left in the competition and even an opponent like Spurs/Liverpool/Chelsea/Juventus would be around 50/50.

I don't think the Sanchez signing will have as much of an impact as others seem to believe; he'll definitely improve the team but he's not even a top 20 player in the world for me, so I don't see him as the type of player that can carry a team to the Champions League.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Has everyone forgotten how our players play in big matches or in pressure situations? They treat the football as grenade under slightest bit of pressure, our attackers also seem to have a rush of blood and can't make correct decisions in final third. We've looked inferior to City every time we've played them and CL has better sides than City.

In football you have to be stupid to say it can't happen but barring a miracle I don't think it's very realistic.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
One a good day, this Man Utd can beat any of the top teams right now. No one of them is playing spectacularly like in recent years, so it might be more balanced and unpredictable. I would say it's a good year for a surprise winner.

Donnie Brasco

Why do you compare them to Lingard and Herrera (who isn't even a first team player here) and not Pogba and Matic? Or compare Eto'o with Sanchez not Martial?
Ok sorry, but Sneijder that year should of won the ballon d'or ahead of Messi it was a complete joke that he didn't get it. I dont see Alexis making that level.
Still think that Cambiasso was better than Matic and yes you are right Pogba would most definitely started in that Inter team.

The biggest difference was that half of that team were real leaders something we lack in our team. Just as a example Chivu was a captain at 23 years of age at Ajax.

Red Star One

Would need a major fluke but of course, we've seen less realistic scenarios come true. Realistically - no, but let's make it to QFs, allow Real/PSG to eliminate of them, get a favourable draw and see what happens in the semis.

XH6

I don't see why we cannot win it, PSG v Real Madrid means one huge rival will be going out this round, so as long as we can get through our tie, then it is most definitely on.

We have by far the best chance out of any English side, so we have that in our favour, plus we have Dave, and he is always someone you would want on your side, rather than against you.

Having a tight defence is always key in a tournament such as this, and that is what we have, even more so once Bailly comes back.
With Lingard, Sanchez, Pogba, Martial, Rashford, Ibra, and Mata, we have so many exciting forward players to select from that will allow us to rotate and call upon someone if needs be.
I can't really see too many other sides having as many top quality players to select from on those attacking areas.

It is our trophy if we want to win it; it s that simple.
1. What is that based on? City certainly have a better chance, Spurs and Liverpool are probably around the same given the former's results versus Madrid and the latter's pressing and counter style suited for big matches. I would probably rank United second favorites over them slightly, but I don't see how you can argue to have the best chance by far of any English side

2. Of the players you mentioned, only Pogba and potentially Alexis would get into the PSG, RM, Barca, City, or Bayern sides.

Last edited:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Ok sorry, but Sneijder that year should of won the ballon d'or ahead of Messi it was a complete joke that he didn't get it. I dont see Alexis making that level.
Still think that Cambiasso was better than Matic and yes you are right Pogba would most definitely started in that Inter team.

The biggest difference was that half of that team were real leaders something we lack in our team. Just as a example Chivu was a captain at 23 years of age at Ajax.
IMO the biggest difference is the balance in midfield. We're still looking for that balance and have constant injury problems, while cambiasso, zanetti and sneijder as a midfield 3 was a perfect balance and gave Eto'o and Milito (and pandev) the platform to perform at their best. That and the mentality they had from the start with Mourinho. We have a much younger squad overall but maybe/hopefully with Sanchez, we can make that step up.

XH6

One of the biggest myths that keeps getting repeated for some reason.

Messi was streets ahead of Sneijder individually in 2010, especially when the latter contributed very little during the final four months of the year.

Xavi was comfortably better individually as well and also probably had a better year in terms of trophies as well (imo La Liga + World Cup> Serie A, Copa Italia, CL)

Not to mention Ronaldo and arguably Iniesta (had a few injuries) were better players as well.

RepardReece

I think we have a chance. It'll be tough with Manchester City, PSG and Barca being the three I believe could beat us to it. But the addition of Sanchez SHOULD make us a lot stronger in attack. Hopefully the composure will come.

But you have to take in mind, Manchester City are fighting in 4 competitions still, will they have enough energy to fight in all competitions. It might make it tough for them to compete. Manchester United couldn't handle the amount of games last season and we obviously gave up the fight for 4th place because of it. PSG, arguably the best attack in the world right now. But how will they perform under pressure this season? Look what happened against Barca, 6-1 (assisted by the ref). We'll see. Barcelona I believe have a good chance, they are inform right now and are a team hard to defeat; Messi is basically back to his best and we know how devastating he can be from the finals we lost against Barca.

This means absolutely nothing but Jose did win the Champions league with Porto a year after he won the Europa league with them, could history repeat itself? Maybe, maybe not. We definitely are not favourites but when Jose puts his mind towards something, he can achieve it. Anything's possible.

Reactions: sizzling sausages

L1nk

As long as we are still in the competition we are always in with a chance, realistically we should progress past this round at least. Beyond that I'm not sure, but Alexis will surely gives us a massive boost in this regard.

crossy1686

career ending
Got a feeling that this could be our season if we get the luck of the draw. PSG in the final and we win 3-1.

You better start believing lads!

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Sorry, but no. Zanetti and Maicon were superior fullbacks to both Shaw, Young and Valencia. Milito is one of the most underrated strikers of this generation and superior to Lukaku, also Eto'o at that time was a better player than Martial is now.
Cambiasso, Stankovic, and Sneijder also all better than Lingard, Herrera.

But still I think we have a chance for the champions league with a lot of luck like when Chelsea won.
You've conveniently left out Pogba and Matic. Not saying those two are currently better than peak Cambiasso and Sneijder but they're still immense players who could well help us win the CL. Especially Pogba.

Judas

Open to offers
It's a cup competition, you never know. I don't think we will, but stranger things have happened, and worse teams than us have won it in the last ten years.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Were dark horses with sanchez now, but let's just get past Sevilla first eh?

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
With Sanchez? Yeah, absolutely we can. He's the kind of player good enough to make the difference between having a chance, and no chance at all.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
How many times was Sánchez the best scorer in the league? It's quite funny to see this thread bumped after the done dealio but can't say I'm surprised.

There was a chance to win the CL and with Sanchez it would increase but could also decrease, only time will tell how he settles in with the team.

Dir Wangem

Porto 2004
Liverpool 2005
Chelsea 2012

In other words: a big underdog wins the Champions League about 25% of the time(if we start the clock in 2004). And I'd argue that our current team is better than all of these(especially Chelsea '12).

The answer is therefore yes, and anyone who says otherwise is just ignorant. The odds are not in our favor, but that doesn't mean we don't have a decent chance.

Paxi

Of the remaining teams, i'd say the following teams are the ones we would struggle to beat at present:

Barca
Bayern
Juve
PSG
City

I think that Real are beatable right now, Roma have been inconsistent this year, and we're capable of beating all of Chelsea, Liverpool and Spurs. I don't consider Porto, Besiktas, Sevilla, Basel and Shakhtar as a threat, or likely to go any further than they already have.

I don't think we'll win it, I think that probably comes down to Barca, City or PSG on current form. We could probably turn over Bayern and Juve with some luck on our side and if we're in good form. If we got to the semis, i'd be more than happy. I think the quarters is more likely.
But we're also capable of beating any of those teams. So it's hard to tell. With a bit of luck anything is possible.

Paxi

1. What is that based on? City certainly have a better chance, Spurs and Liverpool are probably around the same given the former's results versus Madrid and the latter's pressing and counter style suited for big matches. I would probably rank United second favorites over them slightly, but I don't see how you can argue to have the best chance by far of any English side

2. Of the players you mentioned, only Pogba and potentially Alexis would get into the PSG, RM, Barca, City, or Bayern sides.
Think De Gea, Valencia, and Matic wouldnt look out of place in any of those teams.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Let's not get ahead of ourselves here:lol:

One game at a time...then we'll see where we are. Of course we could win, like the other teams left in the competition, but it's just unlikely imho.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Hope psg and Barca face each other and the winners face city.

Pretty confident on the rest including Bayern.

RC89

I think we stand an outside chance based on our team, but based on our manager and the momentum that hopefully the Sanchez signing gives us, you never know...

humdinger

We aren’t the best team in it but the best team doesn’t always win. I don’t think we’ll win it but Sanchez makes us much more potent which is our major weakness and gives us a fighting chance against the better teams.

Loublaze

ATLien
Realistically being the key word. Obviously everyone still in it has a chance, but only a few can realistically do it.

PSG, Real, Barca, city

Sanchez may just be a game changer. We've got a brilliant core. De Gea, Bailly, Matic, Pogba, Martial, Sanchez, Lukaku. If you get those players playing well and kept fit, I don't see any reason why United can't do it.

Also we do generally tend to win it in this part of the decade..

Thoughts?
Two of those teams have never won the CL so their chances are as good as Uniteds.

Paxi

Seriously? In 2018?
What? It doesn't matter what year it is. He's having a great season and there aren't many RB's I'd replace him with, except for Carvajal but he's out with an illness isn't he?

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Why do you compare them to Lingard and Herrera (who isn't even a first team player here) and not Pogba and Matic? Or compare Eto'o with Sanchez not Martial? Then compare Martial with Pandev who play the same position.

Why compare Shaw with Zanetti and not Chivu who played in that position, while comparing Zanetti with Matic instead.

You've done literally everything wrong to prove a point.
Zanetti only played midfield in the final because Motta was suspended.

De Gea
Maicon - Samuel - Lucio - Zanetti
Pogba - Cambiasso - Sneijder
Eto - Milito - Sanchez

That would be my combined XI.

Inter 2010 is probably the most underrated team ever.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
We have a chance.

However that chance is extremely small at the level we're playing at right now. We need to step it up massively for us to have a solid chance of lifting big ears in May.

PSG, Barcelona and City have to be favorites.

Paxi

Zanetti only played midfield in the final because Motta was suspended.

De Gea
Maicon - Samuel - Lucio - Zanetti
Pogba - Cambiasso - Sneijder
Eto - Milito - Sanchez

That would be my combined XI.

Inter 2010 is probably the most underrated team ever.
I'd have Lukaku over Milito.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Comparing players like for like is a pointless exercise. Football's not that predictable, certainly not in a knock-out scenario. All about the team dynamic and belief. We'll know in 2 or 3 weeks the effect Sanchez has had on our dynamic but I certainly give us a chance.

Amir

Weirder things have happened. But our football isn't good enough and our defense isn't sound enough. Highly unlikely.