Can United realistically win the CL this season?

Borat Sagdiyev

I think Herrera would do a great job in handling Messi like he does with Hazard. Coutinho can't play for Barca this season in UCL
Hazard is an excellent player, but Messi is from another planet. And he's hardly the only threat in that side -- don't get me wrong, I think we're headed towards that 'inner sanctum' of legitimate CL contenders, but we're still a year or two away.

Giggs86

Lock this thread until we beat Sevilla.

IF we do and reach the QF, then we can start dreaming. All it would take is a favorable QF draw, and then if we reach the semis anything is possible.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I can see who the knee-jerkers are during matchday thread now.

We are about a season or two away from expecting to win. All our past CL wins had a steady build-up of talent and experience. Just have to look at the current squad and look how many league winners we have, never mind CL winners?

Last edited:

MuranoLover

It all depends on the draw - we don't have the class to perform lots of good games , especially when we also have to secure our top 3 in the PL .

If we happen to be at the final , there no one knows what can happen - only Barca is a team that we would really struggle to beat , because of you know who .

Relfy

We may not be the best team in the competition but there will be a few big names heading out in the next round, and if we get a nice draw in the QF then anything can happen. Jose winning Europa then CL the following season for the second time would be pretty special.

Marcky411

I know we have just signed Sanchez and things are starting to look a bit brighter for the future but to think we could win the Cl is a bit to optimistic. If we reach the quarter or semi final, that on its own would be a great CL run but lets first get through the next round.

RedRom

"Where's Lingard?"
We're not containing Messi and Co. (or PSG's front line) over two legs. Maybe in a few years, but we're still on the outside looking in as of now.
Why not look at it the other way round, could Barcelona, PSG etc contain Sanchez, Martial etc?
We have a great strikeforce of our own.

As for outside looking in, don't be daft, we are very much on the inside!

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
Of course we can. We have just as much chance as any other team or as any other time we've been in the competition.

As for PSG, Barca, Real, or City I don't personally think any of them are to be scared of. Sure, they're strong teams and any one of them could win it, but I don't see any as a truly dominant team like Real have been recently or Barca were for the best part of a decade (I'm aware they are dominating La Liga this year but I don't think they're untouchable).

Then again, maybe I'm just an optimist.
Agreed.

I would love to draw Real or Juve next round if we go through. Would be Real nail biters.

Borat Sagdiyev

Why not look at it the other way round, could Barcelona, PSG etc contain Sanchez, Martial etc?
We have a great strikeforce of our own.

As for outside looking in, don't be daft, we are very much on the inside!
They're still a tier or two below the truly elite front lines of Europe, but I do agree that we should be able to have some degree of success against any club.

And by outside looking in, I mean outside of the RM, Barca, FCB (and probably now PSG, even though they haven't won recently) cabal that has been dominating the CL for the past ~5 years. Until proven otherwise, those 3(/4) should be counted upon the monopolize semi-final spots, etc.

simplyared

Looking at the next phase in the competition I can see the following teams going through.

Juventus, Man City, Liverpool, RM, Bayern, Barcelona, Roma.

We got a decent draw and should beat Sevilla, so we should join them and make the QF stages. Looking at the teams we then could meet, I believe we must avoid City, RM, and Barcelona otherwise we are out imo. Consequently reaching the semi’s would be achievable if we have a bit of luck on the way.

Having said that we do have a manager with an unbelievable record in the competition, and with his know how, he will be key to our success. No doubt about that!

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
I'm more concerned about the fact that Sevilla is playing well again tbh.

What a goal :drool:

Sevilla beat Atletico 5-2 over two legs in the Copa Del Rey

I still rate United as the favourite, but it will be closer than people realize.

RedRom

"Where's Lingard?"
Looking at the next phase in the competition I can see the following teams going through.

Juventus, Man City, Liverpool, RM, Bayern, Barcelona, Roma.

We got a decent draw and should beat Sevilla, so we should join them and make the QF stages. Looking at the teams we then could meet, I believe we must avoid City, RM, and Barcelona otherwise we are out imo. Consequently reaching the semi’s would be achievable if we have a bit of luck on the way.

Having said that we do have a manager with an unbelievable record in the competition, and with his know how, he will be key to our success. No doubt about that!
I can understand to a degree fearing Real Madrid and Barcelona, but fearing City??? Why?? They were nothing special at Old Trafford, with added Sanchez, we could easily get past them no bother whatsoever.

They may be on their way to the Premier League title, bit they have never done anything in Europe, so they don't concern me at all.

Sevilla concern more than they do being honest.

If we can get past them, then it really does open up somewhat for us.

Paul_Scholes18

I think we got a decent chance. No clear favorite for it. Barcelona look strong though. City we can beat I think in a cup. Bayern and PSG could do well, but playing in weaker leagues can punish them since they don't play many big games in the league.

Craig Bellendy

Outside chance but stranger things have happened. I personally fancy city (pains me to say) hoping they draw a big team in the quarters maybe barca or bayern

RedRom

"Where's Lingard?"
Outside chance but stranger things have happened. I personally fancy city (pains me to say) hoping they draw a big team in the quarters maybe barca or bayern
Why do you fancy City say more than ourselves? What have they got in your mind that we haven't??

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
I can understand to a degree fearing Real Madrid and Barcelona, but fearing City??? Why?? They were nothing special at Old Trafford, with added Sanchez, we could easily get past them no bother whatsoever.

They may be on their way to the Premier League title, bit they have never done anything in Europe, so they don't concern me at all.

Sevilla concern more than they do being honest.

If we can get past them, then it really does open up somewhat for us.
Well I suggest you watch the match again then because they took the piss.

deafepl

I guess you are watching wrong games, City hardly creates an open play opportunity in our box. Two goals led to an error by Lukaku.

Brightonian

The thing is, we could potentially beat a Barca or PSG over two legs, but I'd say there's a similar sort of chance that Sevilla could beat us. Everyone seems to be taking that match a little too lightly.

OK777

Nothing frustrates me more than a United supporter actually rating City...

As bad as the anti-United media...

Parry Gallister

What a goal :drool:

Sevilla beat Atletico 5-2 over two legs in the Copa Del Rey

I still rate United as the favourite, but it will be closer than people realize.
Agreed, they're really not a bad team and have taken the piss out of other teams from our league. We're favourites on paper but it won't be easy.

Craig Bellendy

Why do you fancy City say more than ourselves? What have they got in your mind that we haven't??
They are playing as good a football as barca was when they dominated europe for a while, I hope to god im wrong but it wouldnt surprise me at all. I still think we are 2 or 3 players short of being up there with the likes of barca psg and bayern ect but with jose anythings possible

RedRom

"Where's Lingard?"
So you don't think that even with the addition of Sanchez we could beat them over two legs, or even just beat them in a one off game were it to be the final??

Wow, okay then, someone must have a huge amount of admiration for them, that personally against us they did not deserve.

I just can't see why anyone would think they had a better chance than ourselves in a tournament where being tight at the back, and being able to take your chances is rewarded.
City's defence is far weaker than our own, plus they have a keeper that loves to rush out and be exposed, whereas we have the best keeper on the planet, so things are very much in our favour in that respect or regard.

City are a good side, if course they are, otherwise they would not be where they are in the league, however are they as good a European side as ourselves, I don't think they are, we have a far better record in European competition then they do, and we know how to negotiate tricky ties, and hopefully that will show itself in the upcoming Sevillia tie.

There are no teams that we should be overly concerned about, as I am sure that no-one wants to draw us, we I believe scare teams much more then they scare us.

There are no automatic favorites for the trophy, just a fair few teams that are in a similar level, ourselves included in the top bracket of teams.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
So you don't think that even with the addition of Sanchez we could beat them over two legs, or even just beat them in a one off game were it to be the final??

Wow, okay then, someone must have a huge amount of admiration for them, that personally against us they did not deserve.

I just can't see why anyone would think they had a better chance than ourselves in a tournament where being tight at the back, and being able to take your chances is rewarded.
City's defence is far weaker than our own, plus they have a keeper that loves to rush out and be exposed, whereas we have the best keeper on the planet, so things are very much in our favour in that respect or regard.

City are a good side, if course they are, otherwise they would not be where they are in the league, however are they as good a European side as ourselves, I don't think they are, we have a far better record in European competition then they do, and we know how to negotiate tricky ties, and hopefully that will show itself in the upcoming Sevillia tie.

There are no teams that we should be overly concerned about, as I am sure that no-one wants to draw us, we I believe scare teams much more then they scare us.

There are no automatic favorites for the trophy, just a fair few teams that are in a similar level, ourselves included in the top bracket of teams.
I merely pointed out, as most fair-minded Reds would that City were far superior to us at Old Trafford, and by quite some distance, so not sure how that leads you to believe that I don't think we could beat them(in a different competition)over two legs if we were to meet them, because I think we could, even before the arrival of Sanchez.

I'm sure I told you in the Newbies that you don't have to prove in every post that you're the biggest, and bestest ever United fan, chillax

Oscie

It's a cup competition, nothing to say the best team is guaranteed or even likely to win it and very often best sides don't win cup competitions. So who knows?

red4ever 79

Anything can happen in a cup competition. However some of Europe's elite are not as strong as a few years ago most noticeably Real, Bayern and Barca. City and PSG are the two favourites imho. Semi finals would mean we have done well

Wilt

Definitely think Utd can win it, especially so since signing Sanchez.

Zlatattack

Lets beat Yoevil and Spurs first.

Can we win the CL? On any given day can team A beat team B - yes. It's not impossible for us to beat the likes of PSG, Bayern, Barcelona, City etc... it's just not very likely.

Lets take it game at a time and see where we go.

Siorac

I can't decide if you're a WUM, to be hones. Nobody can be this deluded.

City conceded only two goals more than us in the league but scored 21 more. They are 12 points ahead. They totally outplayed us at Old Trafford and deservedly beat us. That's why people think they have a better chance. It's really not rocket science.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
I think when you look at the Liverpool and Chelsea teams that won it...yes of course it's possible.

We'd need a fair bit of luck and sine utterly monster performances...but it's possible. With Mourinho anything is possible in knock out football.

Realistic? Not really. We still have issues...with personel and consistency. But with Big Dave, Sanchez, Pogba and firing Martial or Lukaku? You're always in with some chance.

Let's see how we approach Seville...they will be no walk in the park these.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur

City conceded only two goals more than us in the league but scored 21 more. They are 12 points ahead. They totally outplayed us at Old Trafford and deservedly beat us. That's why people think they have a better chance. It's really not rocket science.
Can't really argue with that to be honest.

DdeGoat

I think when you look at the Liverpool and Chelsea teams that won it...yes of course it's possible.

We'd need a fair bit of luck and sine utterly monster performances...but it's possible. With Mourinho anything is possible in knock out football.

Realistic? Not really. We still have issues...with personel and consistency. But with Big Dave, Sanchez, Pogba and firing Martial or Lukaku? You're always in with some chance.

Let's see how we approach Seville...they will be no walk in the park these.
I don't think Jose's approach is going to differ much from his approach against big teams and teams in champions league knock-outs we have seen in the past. Heck, this man ceded possession in the Europa Final to an Ajax team with a bunch of 12 old year olds.

The advantage we have with Sanchez is that we can afford to be a little more adventurous and can counter-attack better. If we get a little lucky with the draw, anything is possible. Atletico and Juventus have been the losing finalists (twice each) in the last 4 CL finals. I think we are that level of a team. Hopefully, we can go a step further than those two.

RedRom

"Where's Lingard?"

I am no WUM at all, just giving my honest opinion on the matter at hand.

Have City been good this season, of course, and they deserve to be where they are in the league, but have they got s better defensive record or unit than ourselves, no they have not, hence why they are looking to improve it by spending whatever the final figure will be on yet another defender in Laporte.

Do we have a good chance in this competition, yes we do, we are an excellent team, and one in which that knows how to defend when needed, and also to attack as well, plus with the Sanchez deal, we have an excellent addition to our options.

It will be very interesting to see which English side goes the furthest, I have a feeling that it will be ourselves, but who knows really for sure?

City just look more vulnerable at the back, plus they have a keeper that likes to push up, and can be caught out that way, lets see how this new defensive player adapts and settles in, as currently they will need him to do so pretty quickly, if they are not to keep on conceding goals as they are currently doing so.

They will get passed Basle, but then I think they could get eliminated in the next round depending on who they draw of course.

Bestietom

I don't think Messi can be man marked, and there is others who would have to be watched on this Barca side. If we were to bring in another top midfielder next week, then yes we have a chance of winning Champions League this year. We need a top box to box midfielder who can help Matic as well as our attackers.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Yes. In a cup competition anything can happen.

The last time Jose won it nobody gave his Inter side a hope in hell. Was the Chelsea team that won it in 2012 really the best in Europe? What about the 2005 Liverpool team?

Stranger things have happened...

Siorac

I am no WUM at all, just giving my honest opinion on the matter at hand.

Have City been good this season, of course, and they deserve to be where they are in the league, but have they got s better defensive record or unit than ourselves, no they have not, hence why they are looking to improve it by spending whatever the final figure will be on yet another defender in Laporte.

Do we have a good chance in this competition, yes we do, we are an excellent team, and one in which that knows how to defend when needed, and also to attack as well, plus with the Sanchez deal, we have an excellent addition to our options.

It will be very interesting to see which English side goes the furthest, I have a feeling that it will be ourselves, but who knows really for sure?

City just look more vulnerable at the back, plus they have a keeper that likes to push up, and can be caught out that way, lets see how this new defensive player adapts and settles in, as currently they will need him to do so pretty quickly, if they are not to keep on conceding goals as they are currently doing so.

They will get passed Basle, but then I think they could get eliminated in the next round depending on who they draw of course.
OK, we've come a long way since your previous post where you claimed they have a far weaker defence than ours. Which is a very different claim compared to "it's no better than ours".