Can United realistically win the CL this season?

cyberman

I think they have a far weaker defence as well.
Nobody attacks them. How they've conceded more goals is amazing to me.
PSG are in the same boat. They've dominated their league yet have conceded 1 goal more than us despite playing 2 games less.
How do you concede more goals despite penning the opposition back for 90 minutes?

Adebesi

I think they have a far weaker defence as well.
Nobody attacks them. How they've conceded more goals is amazing to me.
PSG are in the same boat. They've dominated their league yet have conceded 1 goal more than us despite playing 2 games less.
How do you concede more goals despite penning the opposition back for 90 minutes?
Being vulnerable to counterattacks I guess.

Needham

City have been less than blistering of late. They may get taken out.
Liverpool are genuine dark horses. But then Swansea beat them.
RM are having a burp of a season. Highly unlikely to retain the trophy.
Barca are favorites. But they definitely do not have an invincible vibe.
PSG still lack late tournament experience. Plus they seem a house divided.
So why not?

ZAGREB RED

Probably not, but given the right draw and circumstances, it could happen. Signing Sanchez is a plus but I think United are still some way off winning this at the moment. Next season is more of a possibility.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Just because we have signed Sanchez, it doesn't really change anything for us UNTIL Sanchez settles well and scores goals with ease.

We can upset a few sides if our brand new signing starts firing on all cylinders.

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
It’s definitely possible – Quite often it’s not the best team in Europe who ends up winning the competition. We’d need a lot of things to go our way but we wouldn’t be the worst team Mourinho has won it with. Our starting XI now looks pretty damn good – I still think we’re a few players away but it’s certainly good enough to compete.

Semiarty

Supports
FC Barcelona
Liverpool will win it.
Please no. I couldn't handle their fan base. I don't think I've seen worse fans than Liverpools. At this point I'd rather Chelsea won it than Liverpool and that says something coming from Barca fan. (preference for RM winning is not even in the discussion for obvious reasons)

SteveTheRed

Obviously it is possible, just need a good run and a bit of luck. We could end up finishing 5th being crap in the league but win the CL.

I think now with Sanchez we have signed a game winner. Someone who can score a goal out of nothing and drag us over the line with a 1-0 win, so that adds a new string to our bow. Very valuable in a cup game to have someone scoring from nothing.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Realistically? No, we can't. It's possible to have the same luck as Real Madrid in 2015-16: Stay away from the two Spanish teams, Bayern Munich and City (since Pep seems to have Jose's number when their sides clash head to head) and then start the final with an early goal, defend and be second best throughout the game, survive a missed penalty by our opponents and, finally, win the shootout. But that's not being realistic, neither is pointing at Chelsea's success in 2012. That's crossing your fingers and hoping that your luck will carry you all the way until the end. "Realistic" contenders were RM in the following season when they looked like the best team in the competition from start to finish.

My guess is that it'll be even tougher this season since the "usual suspects" will be able to put all their focus and energy on the CL. Barcelona and Bayern Munich have already won their respective leagues while Real Madrid can concentrate solely in retaining their CL trophy and despite their bad league form, i still believe that it's laughable to suggest that they will miss out on top-four. We, on the other hand, alongside Chelsea & Liverpool must keep an eye on Spurs and Arsenal (more likely Spurs tbh) because they are sides that can string a series of wins together and possibly push one of United, Liverpool or Chelsea out of the top four. Furthermore, the two out of three clubs in the second tier of favourites to win the big one, PSG and City, have already the domestic titles in their countries in their pockets.

We're yet to see what kind of impact Sanchez will have on this United side. But i generally agree with those who are suggesting that the amount of chances we concede as a team is relatively high when compared with the number of chances we create. We're doing much better than in the previous post-Fergie seasons but there is still some distance to be covered. It's true that Barcelona and PSG have shaky defences but their attacking plays are far more developed than ours. I mean, Barcelona won at the Bernabeu easily without even shifting from third gear... And now that Suarez is finding his form again, they look a far more dangerous proposition than earlier in the season. Our only win against a top-six opponent in England under Mourinho has come at the Emirates with Arsenal having close to 40 attempts. I don't think we can survive like that in Munich, Madrid, Barcelona or even Paris. I don't think we'll be able to stay alive in the tie with performances like the one at Anfield since the biggest sides in Europe don't consist mostly of pace merchants like Klopp's side does and we'll need something more than simply closing down the spaces in our half for 180 minutes.

And one last thing, those whose most recent memory of Sevilla is the 5-0 battering from RM or the games against the scousers, will be in for a surprise because Sevilla look to be in very good form lately.

Oyibo

Normally no. But over 2 legs....

Chelsea managed to do it when nobody expected them to.

SkeppyRed

Lineups Game Winner 2012/13
I don’t think so but then again worse teams than ours have done it in the past.

onemanarmy

Has anyone ever won the Uefa cup/Europa league and the next year the Champions league?

We have a very small chance I think. You need a lot of luck to win the CL.

redflair

Get through squeaky bum time with Sevilla first.

That will be a big test.

Siorac

Has anyone ever won the Uefa cup/Europa league and the next year the Champions league?

We have a very small chance I think. You need a lot of luck to win the CL.
Yeah, in 2003 and 2004. The manager was a somewhat familiar face.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
I don't think Jose's approach is going to differ much from his approach against big teams and teams in champions league knock-outs we have seen in the past. Heck, this man ceded possession in the Europa Final to an Ajax team with a bunch of 12 old year olds.

The advantage we have with Sanchez is that we can afford to be a little more adventurous and can counter-attack better. If we get a little lucky with the draw, anything is possible. Atletico and Juventus have been the losing finalists (twice each) in the last 4 CL finals. I think we are that level of a team. Hopefully, we can go a step further than those two.
Yeah I'd go along with that.

poleglass red

Very open tournament this yr, couple of big names playing each other as well. I don't see one stand out team this season. Real and Barca are both going to revamp their squads in the off season, much more than they have in recent seasons, esp in Real's case.I could see us winning it. Not saying the teams in it are weak, far from it, but this would be the yr to do it.

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC
English bookies all have Man City with best odds (3/1 usually), then PSG, Bayern, Barca at approx 5/1, then Real and then us and Liverpool at similar 14/1 odds. (Chelsea and Spurs further down at 22-28/1)

I more or less agree, although I think Cities chance of winning it is overrated and Utd should be slightly higher than Pool.

Momochiru

I can't decide if you're a WUM, to be hones. Nobody can be this deluded.

City conceded only two goals more than us in the league but scored 21 more. They are 12 points ahead. They totally outplayed us at Old Trafford and deservedly beat us. That's why people think they have a better chance. It's really not rocket science.
Yes, they are 12 points ahead of us and beat us at OT, but in reality the difference is not as big as it looks. They had a few close shaves, where they were lucky to get the 3 points in the last minutes. At OT we were missing most of our midfield, including Pogba and still they couldn't create any clear chances - only scored 2 very lucky set piece goals. If Lukaku hadn't had a mare that match, we could've won it 2:0 and then the points difference would've been only 6 points. Also we were missing Pogba for 2 months and dropped a lot of points in that time.

I know it's only ifs and buts, but everyone is acting like City is the best thing since sliced bread, while in reality it's very fine margins and in a cup competition anything can happen. I would've fancied us against City even before Sanchez, so I'm not having your logic.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
obviously we are not the favourites but seeing as Jose won it with Porto and Inter, we have every chance

In fact Id say that our current odds at around 14/1 look a good value bet

Personally Id be pretty happy with a semifinal - anything more is exceeding my expectations

Schneckerl

English bookies all have Man City with best odds (3/1 usually), then PSG, Bayern, Barca at approx 5/1, then Real and then us and Liverpool at similar 14/1 odds. (Chelsea and Spurs further down at 22-28/1)

I more or less agree, although I think Cities chance of winning it is overrated and Utd should be slightly higher than Pool.
Probably because their RO16 draw is pretty much a bye (yeah, yeah we've seen upsets like that, but still...) whereas PSG and Barca have to get past a strong team first.

Siorac

Yes, they are 12 points ahead of us and beat us at OT, but in reality the difference is not as big as it looks. They had a few close shaves, where they were lucky to get the 3 points in the last minutes. At OT we were missing most of our midfield, including Pogba and still they couldn't create any clear chances - only scored 2 very lucky set piece goals. If Lukaku hadn't had a mare that match, we could've won it 2:0 and then the points difference would've been only 6 points. Also we were missing Pogba for 2 months and dropped a lot of points in that time.

I know it's only ifs and buts, but everyone is acting like City is the best thing since sliced bread, while in reality it's very fine margins and in a cup competition anything can happen. I would've fancied us against City even before Sanchez, so I'm not having your logic.
Well, like I said, that's a bit odd to me, considering how we played against them this season and last season but sure. Also, the whole "they couldn't create clear cut chances" sounds like something West Brom fans would say: "we made it hard for them, they didn't create a lot of chances". They penned us back throughout, missed quite a few chances or messed up the final pass often. And if you call their goals lucky, then so was ours - it was a hilarious individual error. Our only real chance that we created came at the end when Lukaku fired at the keeper.

You can say we did a half-decent job of hanging on and defending with 10 men at Old Trafford but how that means I should fancy ourselves against City I don't know.

Momochiru

Well, like I said, that's a bit odd to me, considering how we played against them this season and last season but sure. Also, the whole "they couldn't create clear cut chances" sounds like something West Brom fans would say: "we made it hard for them, they didn't create a lot of chances". They penned us back throughout, missed quite a few chances or messed up the final pass often. And if you call their goals lucky, then so was ours - it was a hilarious individual error. Our only real chance that we created came at the end when Lukaku fired at the keeper.

You can say we did a half-decent job of hanging on and defending with 10 men at Old Trafford but how that means I should fancy ourselves against City I don't know.
It's just different styles. A possession based team like City can have 70% of the ball easily, but unless they create chances with all that possession, that doesn't mean they dominate. They didn't create anything from open play, DDG made only one save from a 30 yard shot, as far as I remember. We scored from open play, could've had a penalty and created a third clear cut chance, which would've been a goal 9 out of 10, can't believe Lukaku hit the keeper's face with the whole net gaping. We are usually happy to give away corners and again inexplicably Lukaku screwed up twice - that wouldn't happen normally, with our team much taller and stronger we are quite comfortable at set pieces.

I definitely disagree with the bolded - they didn't pen us, they just hogged the ball; they didn't have any clear chances; and they attacks were breaking down much earlier than the final pass. In fact they spent a quarter of the game in the corner trying to waste time, how is that penning us I don't know.

One more thing I forgot to mention is that they were very lucky with the refereeing. Every time we regained possession, their players were chopping us down without even trying to get the ball, just to stop our counter. There were at least 5-6 cases like that, and that is normally a yellow - they didn't get a single yellow for those cynical fouls. Also Herrera got yellow for diving, while earlier for far more blatant diving, Jesus din't. I don't know if the ref was biased, or just bad, but his desisions benefited them for sure.

When you take all these things into account you could see that many things lined up in their favour on that day. They got the rub of the green and they won, but that cannot happen every time. I'm confident that if we play them 10 times, we will win more than we lose.

Siorac

It's just different styles. A possession based team like City can have 70% of the ball easily, but unless they create chances with all that possession, that doesn't mean they dominate. They didn't create anything from open play, DDG made only one save from a 30 yard shot, as far as I remember. We scored from open play and created another clear cut chance, which would be a goal 9 out of 10, can't believe Lukaku hit the keeper's face with the whole net gaping. We are usually happy to give away corners and again inexplicably Lukaku screwed up twice - that wouldn't happen normally, with our team much taller and stronger we are quite comfortable at set pieces.

I definitely disagree with the bolded - they didn't pen us, they just hogged the ball; they didn't have any clear chances; and they attacks were breaking down much earlier than the final pass. In fact they spent a quarter of the game in the corner trying to waste time, how is that penning us I don't know.

One more thing I forgot to mention is that they were very lucky with the refereeing. Every time we regained possession, their players were chopping us down without even trying to get the ball, just to stop our counter. There were at least 5-6 cases like that, and that is normally a yellow - they didn't get a single yellow for those cynical fouls. Also Herrera got yellow for diving, while earlier for far more blatant diving, Jesus din't. I don't know if the ref was biased, or just bad, but his desisions benefited them for sure.

When you take all these things into account you could see that many things lined up in their favour on that day. They got the rub of the green and they won, but that cannot happen every time. I'm confident that if we play them 10 times, we will win more than we lose.
Well you might want to refresh your memory then. Because that's really, really not how the game went. Seriously, watch highlights. They created a lot more than us - not hard of course as we created almost nothing - and should have scored more.

Obviously we are all biased here and all but this is next level. Let's face it, if we played and won the way City did, you would be lauding an absolutely brilliant performance from United.

Blaming the referee is pathetic. We played like shite and got beat. No shame in admitting that.

Dominos

With a good draw maybe but it's very unlikely.

Reason being we'll spend a lot of time without the ball against better teams and we're simply not effective enough on the counter attack in big games. City home, Liverpool away and Chelsea away are all prime examples of where we can't get any foothold in possession or pose any sort of threat going forward because we're so poor on the counter. To be fair we didn't have Pogba for these games, but I still don't see us being both a defensive rock and devastating on the counter to the point where we could actually win it.

RedStarUnited

If we avoid Barcelona and Real Madrid, everyone else left can be handled in two legs. The final is a one of game where anything can happen.