Can we ever be as successful as Real Madrid?

AshRK

Ask yourself what will happen with the Real fanbase if they have kept Solari for 2 years, finishing empty handed twice in a row for first time since 2-3 decades?

Ole is the biggest footballing problem we have at this point. No two ways about it. Woodward doesn't pick players and formations to play each game and this season, when everyone for a particular reason is underperforming, with a quality manager at helm we would've had chance for #21.
And who is stopping the board to hire a quality manager. You are acting as if Ole has to sack himself or hired himself. Woodward and the board can sack whenever they want. What is stopping them from doing that.

It is like whenever it comes to the board , it is everyone's fault but theirs. And what's funny is similar argument were made during Jose's time and also Van gaal's time. It's always the manager and fans and players and ex players but poor Woodward and Glazers can never be blamed.

Enigma_87

You know who
And who is stopping the board to hire a quality manager. You are acting as if Ole has to sack himself or hired himself. Woodward and the board can sack whenever they want. What is stopping them from doing that.

It is like whenever it comes to the board , it is everyone's fault but theirs. And what's funny is similar argument were made during Jose's time and also Van gaal's time. It's always the manager and fans and players and ex players but poor Woodward and Glazers can never be blamed.
Well the owners are banking the profits and seems like half of the fan base is ok with us being mediocre on the pitch and being run by mediocre manager.

We have one of the most sentimental fan base out there and IMO the owners are exploiting that pretty well.

The argument that no one is blaming the owners is far from the truth - everyone that wants Ole out wants Woodward out too.

Giggs86

Successful how? In the CL? No, unless we go on a crazy run of winning multiple CL's and Madrid become shit.

In terms of big clubs I think Madrid and Bayern are at the top above anyone else. We are a level below along with Juve, Milan, Barca and Liverpool.

SAFMUTD

Your club is run perfectly. I admire & relate to your fans. You demand to be winners. I wish United were run like this. Real Madrid would never accept 7 years of irrelevance.
Real Madrid would never accept 7 games of irrelevance. Theyre not romantics, they will ship out Raul, Casillas and anyother idol they have as soon as they dont warrant success. In Madrid its win at all/any cost, great mentality to be honest.

They will definitely sack Zidane if they not challenging by december, even after 3 UCL and a league recently won. Here we sustain Ole because he got us third.

We are in no way a club with the ambition of Madrid, a few of them are. I'd say only Juve and Barca and Bayern are.

Canagel

Your club is run perfectly. I admire & relate to your fans. You demand to be winners. I wish United were run like this. Real Madrid would never accept 7 years of irrelevance.
They actually have self respect. Imagine then dropping to the Europa and the manager is just allowed to stay in the job like here.

There would be a comunicado oficial before he has even got on the bus

Last edited:

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
They are continually successful. They would not tolerate mediocrity for this long. I relate to that more than the “trust the process” lot in our fan base.
Their tolerance is not related to their club's success. I remember their barren run in the 2000s, even with the hankies.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Madrid are fan owned, they elect their board which means that the fans’ feelings towards the board are way more important than at a club like Manchester United.

That’s one of the main strengths of the Spanish giants, they’re not dependent on the owners’ ambitions

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Madrid are fan owned, they elect their board which means that the fans’ feelings towards the board are way more important than at a club like Manchester United.

That’s one of the main strengths of the Spanish giants, they’re not dependent on the owners’ ambitions
What fans are allowed to vote?

croadyman

Well the owners are banking the profits and seems like half of the fan base is ok with us being mediocre on the pitch and being run by mediocre manager.

We have one of the most sentimental fan base out there and IMO the owners are exploiting that pretty well.

The argument that no one is blaming the owners is far from the truth - everyone that wants Ole out wants Woodward out too.
Yeah the owners and Woody are definitely exploiting the fans love towards Ole and have lowered expectations so much.

You are absolutely bang on about the Ole outters (including myself) wanting that clown out first but the majority have accepted he's going nowhere.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
What fans are allowed to vote?
The ones that pay their shares.

I think it’s by far the best system to guarantee a top club remains a top club long term.

Having rich owners that have the ambition and know-how to put a club at the top is also great but they could lose interest or sell at any moment so there’s not the same stability.

Water Melon

We can, but we won't. We claim that we are one of the biggest clubs in the world, yet our Board is solely focused on increasing the value of Manchester United publicly listed company. There is no "football club" in the name of the company and the Board sees trophies as bonuses not as an ultimate goal.

RedDevil@84

No. We can't. Our board has zero hunger. It is all about being marketable and profits.
Our board hiring the perfect manager and then that manager having the perfect players at his disposal, is like astrology. A perfect alignment of stars resulting in something big.
But even in that case it will be short term. Continued dominance will not be achieved by this board.

croadyman

No. We can't. Our board has zero hunger. It is all about being marketable and profits.
Our board hiring the perfect manager and then that manager having the perfect players at his disposal, is like astrology. A perfect alignment of stars resulting in something big.
But even in that case it will be short term. Continued dominance will not be achieved by this board.
Yeah you only need to look at the suggestion of us selling a marketable player and chances are they get their way on this one

Cloud7

No we can't, not in the foreseeable future at least. The entire culture of our club is different to theirs, from top to bottom. From the top, our owners/board aren't ruthless, and don't actually seem interested in being the best. I'm not actually sure what their interest really is. The easiest answer is money, but then Madrid makes a lot of money as well, while also being focused on winning, so is that really the case? The best way to become rich in football, after all, is to be good. The whole reason we get all these lucrative sponsorship deals in the first place is because of how good we were under SAF. Our board might pretend to be blind to it, but in time these will dry up.

From the bottom, our fans are far more tolerant of mediocrity than their fans are, both in terms of player and manager. In managerial terms, we cling on to any single shred of something possibly good in every single manager, rarely ever holding them accountable for their underperformance. It goes without saying that most of the seasons we've had by managers in the post SAF era wouldn't have been tolerated by those fans, and they make their feelings known. Granted they do have more of a direct say with their fan owned model where the members have direct meetings with the club hierarchy, but even in matches they make their feelings known. We do the same thing for players. We tolerate some absolutely terrible, mediocre players, for prolonged periods of time, because Darren Fletcher once became a good player after years of not looking like anything special. We bang on and on about the soul of the club, and the United way and all this crap. What do these empty platitudes mean in the context of a football club? Absolutely nothing. Football is a sport. It's about entertainment and winning.

These two factors mean that the ones in the middle, the players and the manager, never feel the same pressure that they do over there, and as a result the drive to constantly be the absolute best isn't there. Ancelloti won Madrid their long coveted tenth CL trophy, yet he was fired about a year later. If that was at United, it would be said that he earned 4-5 years to 'turn it around' because of that CL win. Would our board have the balls to fire a manager that was underperforming a year after he won us a CL? Of course they won't. Similarly with Bale, he scored in a couple CL finals for them, and while I disagree with how his exit was handled by Zidane, they wanted him out for a fair few seasons. Would United fans ever feel the same way? The answer is no. We would have people left and right claiming that he won us some CL's and he deserves more respect than that.

So no, we won't ever be as successful as them.

GameOn

Real Madrid would never accept 7 games of irrelevance. Theyre not romantics, they will ship out Raul, Casillas and anyother idol they have as soon as they dont warrant success. In Madrid its win at all/any cost, great mentality to be honest.

They will definitely sack Zidane if they not challenging by december, even after 3 UCL and a league recently won. Here we sustain Ole because he got us third.

We are in no way a club with the ambition of Madrid, a few of them are. I'd say only Juve and Barca and Bayern are.
Imagine Madrid, Bayern or Barcelona dropping down to the Europa League.

Anyone really thinking that they would just sit their and "trust the process"?

RedDevil@84

Come to think of it, almost all English clubs allow mediocrity. Not one club would react like Real Madrid. So it is not just us maybe.

Cloud7

Come to think of it, almost all English clubs allow mediocrity. Not one club would react like Real Madrid. So it is not just us maybe.
The football culture in England is different, both in terms of tolerating mediocre players and managers. The only club that are run in the manner a top club should be run is Chelsea.

Eddy_JukeZ

A lot of our fans root for the manager to be a ****-like figure akin to SAF.

Say what you want about the Glazers/Woodward, but a lot of our fans have accepted mediocrity too.

croadyman

Say what you want about the Glazers/Woodward, but a lot of our fans have accepted mediocrity too.
Yeah we definitely accept mediocrity too much as a fanbase there is no doubt about that

RedDevil@84

Not just us though. Many English clubs do that.
Chelsea fans were crazy about Jose and Conte and are unlikely to turn on Lampard

There is this whole notion of "real fans don't boo" all over English clubs. The only ones who occasionally get the boos are players who speak too much trash about the club.

steffyr2

I was reading a different thread talking about how great it was that we had a nice manager and happy players....then I saw this thread title.

I think the answer is 'no', we won't be as successful as RM.

GameOn

The football culture in England is different, both in terms of tolerating mediocre players and managers. The only club that are run in the manner a top club should be run is Chelsea.
I mean the football culture here is 'special' in many ways.

Many of our fans are also experts in hyping up English teams and the PL in general like crazy, while being ignorant when it comes to actual top teams like Madrid, Bayern or Barca.

Those teams are only that successful, because they play in weak leagues, farm their opponents (what our teams do, too, btw) or because PL teams are so tired because of that extremely demanding PL shedule and opponents.

Yeah, sure...

Champagne Football

A huge no. The reason being is sunshine and quality of life. Compare Russia to Brazil, similar enough in population. Both football mad nations. But Brazil has a climate where kids can play in the streets 24/7 year round where as that is not possible in Russia. Footballers from warm climates tend to have a preference to play at clubs located in warmer climates. In the same way that it's unlikely that an ice hockey team from Brazil could ever dominate Russian ice hockey teams.

If the owner of Amazon bought Man Utd and hired Klopp then of course a super team could be developed to win the CL 3 years in a row. But if the world was made out of chocolate then it would be different our world as we know it today!

snk123

Doesn't help when the best players have a "dream" to play for Real Madrid. We had the best team in the world in 2009 and could have won a lot more titles had Ronaldo stayed.

Bigbusdutz

I think it is a lot easier to be a big club when the council bails you out. The league is totally different and they only have competition from Barcelona for players in Spain.
Why do you think they want the Superleague ASAP is to stop the premier league from poaching.

lilcurt

No we won't. The club has proven that winning isn't the number one priority, profits and dividends are. That will always hold us back.

As a fanbase I also think we have become too accepting of mediocrity and sentimental around players and managers.

Bondi77

I could not give a flying feck about Real Magreed.
While British team's were winning European Cups with British players Real were splashing the cash on players from all over the world to buy success and that has not changed to this day.

Web of Bissaka

No we won't. The club has proven that winning isn't the number one priority, profits and dividends are. That will always hold us back.

As a fanbase I also think we have become too accepting of mediocrity and sentimental around players and managers.
Club - only care top 4.
Manager - not top level.
Players - split, not all really really really want to win. Majority just wish they'll win.

Fans - starting with Ole, "he's the right one, trust the process!"

It's amazing.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
No. Because they are absolutely ruthless. To their players, managers..to everybody. Winning is the only thing which they want.
We on the other hand...

United Junkie

I could not give a flying feck about Real Magreed.
While British team's were winning European Cups with British players Real were splashing the cash on players from all over the world to buy success and that has not changed to this day.
Same for us for the past 7 years no?

romufc

Our owners/ club do not actually give two fecks about fans.

We have owners who have no idea what the fans want / feel because they do not want to. They are profit driven and fans are trophy driven.