g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Can we win the league?

MUFC OK

Not enough goals, not capable of keeping clean sheets. Recipe for disaster. Oh and our midfield gets overrun by the better teams in the league, and even the likes of Wolves.

Lentwood

- What if a great pre-season, focusing on fitness levels as well as some sort of development of a style of play will make that huge of a difference?

I think the idea that the players where not fit under two of the greatest managers of all time is ludicrous. I highly doubt Ole knows more about fitness and conditioning than Jose and LvG

- What if Rashford and Martial go no the next level of their ability and kick on from there?

Then they will just about be top-4 standard players, IF they can add consistency to their games as well

- Spurs should really be feeling defeated by now, they just can’t win anything, it’s all too much to take for them, surely.
Their best players probably cannot wait to get the feck out of there, their manager too.

Yeah....I bet players are clamouring to leave the CL finalists. Plus, half of our team are either not happy, angling for a new contract or have been marginalised - so I hardly think we will be in a BETTER place mentally than Spurs!

- Liverpool and City are great and all, but who knows what will happen to their consistency? Maybe City will focus on Europe and Liverpool will simply struggle and be found out tactically by plenty.

Both got almost 100pts last year....even if they lose five more games each we would still be miles off

That’s the bare minimum that should be expected at this club, with so much financial power.

We haven't been willing or able to spend our way out of trouble since 2005

This has got to be 2006/2007 all over again, six years is way too long.
Remember Camp Nou, 1 9 9 9
So no, we absolutely 100% categorically cannot win the league and in fact, I would say were outsiders for top four

Branchofscience

It's not going to happen for a myriad number of reasons. The list is huge. Where do you even begin with the debacle?

A9X SJ

Not even if Will Smith in Alladin granted you a free wish have we got a hope

It's City's to lose there squad depth is amazing & have the best player in the League with Bernardo Silva who's taking over David Silva mantle piece

Top 4 should be our target.......!

Hanky panky

Yes but we are like 5th or 6th biggest favourite to do it. So chances are like under 5%. That means we actually can not. Huge cap between United and City or even United and Pool. We have too many weaknesses and not enough strenghts. 4th place is our trophy. Especially if Ole start to rebuild in longterm.

Hughes35

We have as much chance of winning it as Arsenal do.... If not slightly less chance actually

Member 113277

Sure we can. When we sign Mario Balotelli (per the other thread), he'll score 49 goals and we'll crush all comers. We can win the World Cup, too :lol:

NJM78

I think if we did it would be more of shock than Leicester a few years back.

Camilo

Yes. Finally, after five years of rebuilding and "getting rid of the dead wood" we're in a position to challenge. James, Longstaff, Maguire coming in, DDG, Pogba, Herrera all possibly being shipped out. A manager with everything to prove - just the kind of drive and determination we've needed as a club. Five years of planning. It's our year.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Nah. We haven’t enough signed exotic sounding players the caf have never seen play to finish in the top half of the table, never mind winning it.

MUFAN79

Yes. You never know ;)
Stranger things happened in football.
Realistically, we as a club need a complete overhaul if we want to become a force in the PL.

OrangeRed

Since the objective of the owners is to reach top 4 we should count our self lucky to even reach that. You can build a beautiful mansion, but if you do it on mud it's gonna collapse.

Foxtrot

Supports
Die Mannschaft
Come next season, it will be 7 years since we win the league if we fails which of course we won't. No chance in hell we will win the league, forget about the league. It would be a miracle if we get fourth with this group of players. I'm taking 2024 as the time we finally win the league again. 11 years wait. 5 more years.

RedB4ndiT

Top 3 is between City, Liverpool, Tottenham.

Top 4-5 is between Arsenal and Chelsea.

6th place is between us, Wolves, Everton.

Red For Ever

Nope, we have signed or are looking at signing fairly young and unproven players.

We all know you can't win anything with kids

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
In all likelihood, no. Ole is building for the future, any success that comes in the meantime will be a bonus. Then again, it wasn't that long ago that Leicester pulled it off.

You never can tell with football, that's the beauty of it :)

Nickthepip

Third would be a major achievement given how far off the pace we were this year. Top two are nailed on although I think Liverpool will slip back a bit and City will win it more comfortably this time around. Arsenal are not in a good place and Chelsea are weaker so top four is a possibility although if I were on the board at Wolves I’d be going for top 4 big time this year. Can’t imagine a better scenario for a club like themselves or Leicester to really challenge for the Champions League. Spurs will be probably finish in third, well ahead of fourth, miles off second. We’re three years away from a challenge given how City and Liverpool’s squads look right now.

George The Best

Third would be a major achievement given how far off the pace we were this year. Top two are nailed on although I think Liverpool will slip back a bit and City will win it more comfortably this time around. Arsenal are not in a good place and Chelsea are weaker so top four is a possibility although if I were on the board at Wolves I’d be going for top 4 big time this year. Can’t imagine a better scenario for a club like themselves or Leicester to really challenge for the Champions League. Spurs will be probably finish in third, well ahead of fourth, miles off second. We’re three years away from a challenge given how City and Liverpool’s squads look right now.
Have to agree with you. We are not going to close the gap much in one window. Ole wanted his transfer business done by now so we’ve failed in that regard too. Best we can achieve I think is 4th. Big worry that Pogba and Lukaku could leave after our window shuts. Interesting to see who is on the plane on Sunday.

Reynoldo

No and it shouldn’t even be the question now. We need to build so that in 2/3 years time when Pep gets burnout and Bayern tempt Klopp we then are in a position to take advantage and step up.

(The real problem is that I don’t think structurally we are in a position to build year on year in that time)

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
I wish people would sod of with this City and Liverpool being so far ahead of us argument, we were more dominant than our blues friends are currently circa 2001, then we added RvN and Seba Veron, which had the rest of the League going Oh FFS what's the point, and how did that work out?

George The Best

I wish people would sod of with this City and Liverpool being so far ahead of us argument, we were more dominant than our blues friends are currently circa 2001, then we added RvN and Seba Veron, which had the rest of the League going Oh FFS what's the point, and how did that work out?
Reality hurts though. We are miles behind with this squad.

izzydiggler

We don't know that though, let's see how they get on when they are in peak condition, motivated and playing with freedom and confidence.

There's an awful lot of talent in the squad, we just need Ole to get a tune out of them.
:lol: Don’t do it to yourself.

pacifictheme

We don't know that though, let's see how they get on when they are in peak condition, motivated and playing with freedom and confidence.

There's an awful lot of talent in the squad, we just need Ole to get a tune out of them.
Optimistic to a fault.

0le

- What if a great pre-season, focusing on fitness levels as well as some sort of development of a style of play will make that huge of a difference?

It won't make a huge difference. It will allow us to press more, but all the top teams already do this anyway and will be better at it from the start of the season.

- What if Rashford and Martial go no the next level of their ability and kick on from there?

Even if both players go onto another level, they will still be behind the world class players such as Sterling, KDB etc. Getting them onto a new level will probably push us closer to fourth.

- Spurs should really be feeling defeated by now, they just can’t win anything, it’s all too much to take for them, surely.
Their best players probably cannot wait to get the feck out of there, their manager too.

They have already improved their squad. They will still finish ahead of us next season.

- Liverpool and City are great and all, but who knows what will happen to their consistency? Maybe City will focus on Europe and Liverpool will simply struggle and be found out tactically by plenty.

Liverpool and City ahave both been consistent for over a season, with Liverpool dominant since the second half of the season before. They won't suddenly drop a significant level.

That’s the bare minimum that should be expected at this club, with so much financial power.

Money does not guarantee success.

This has got to be 2006/2007 all over again, six years is way too long.
Remember Camp Nou, 1 9 9 9

You got me, well done.

Loon

:lol:
No chance. Just hope that appalling run of form we had at the tail end of the season has been addressed. Otherwise...

LJJT

I don’t think we will win it but with a few more good signings like Maguire, Ben yedder and a good midfielder keeping all others then yes we can push on and make more of a competitive challenge. Screw Europa we should play youth in that see how far we get

Njord

With the introduction of VAR Liverpool should lose 25-30 points, and we will gain about the same. So I'm optimistic.

dogwithabone

Yes we can win the league. Two or three more quality signings and if we hit the ground running then why not ? City and Liverpool had once in a generation seasons, that won’t happen again. Our squad runs deep and it’s up to Ole to get this lot playing. If he can then, yes, we can do it.

Do you seriously think the likes of De Gea, Pogba (if he stays), Rashford will go into this campaign thinking anything less than winning the title ?

It’s an embarrassment to say or suggest we are not in contention.

lsd

The Oracle
Where are these threads coming from ? Between this and the bring back Welbeck one hard to know which is the daftest

NoPace

We have the keeper, the defence has the talent in theory if everything breaks right (Lindelof, Shaw and Wan-Bissaka are young and a signing or a career season from another CB, probably Bailly, could give us a really strong back 4) but also is real inconsistent from a health perspective, Pogba is Pogba and it's not insane to think Rashford can have a proper feck off breakout year where he scores 20 in the league and Martial a good one, but it's tough to see the midfield being strong and we don't really have any other genuinely promising attackers for next year (Hopefully one or both of James and Greenwood in coming years).

Ole, even if he turns out to be a solid manager, seems unlikely to come up with something formation or style wise that flummoxes the Prem like Conte's move to 3 at the back. At the moment, I'd say the diamond at the moment since few Prem teams use it and it does suit Pogba and might suit Rashford and Martial getting to play up top as a pair (also fixes the RW problem though we'd need a good attacking midfielder, a 6 and Fred to come good)

City should be at least close to as strong and Liverpool same since I think Keita and Fabinho will do better in year 2. Spurs look solidly better than us too, Chelsea and Arsenal about the same. Decent chance one of Leicester, Wolves or Everton are stronger than us too.

Teams with our question marks have done well and we do have a couple world-class players, 6 or 7 talented young players who haven't put it together yet (Rashford, Martial, Shaw, Lindelof, Wan-Bissaka and let's count Dalot, James and Greenwood as 1) and Fred and Bailly have had good seasons on strong teams and are still at their age primes. Add 2 more signings and you're basically at a core of 10-12 guys, but that seems like the bare minimums, though in the right setup guys like Mata and Smalling can do their specialized skills well.

Bet365 has us at 25 to 1, but that's probably a little high because we're a public team. So, I'd say about a 2% chance at the moment. We'd need another 3 big signings I think (CB, CM and either RW or another CM). And even then, you'd bet on us being a solid 85ish point team, which would challenge in some year but probably doesn't get near City with their depth and talent and Liverpool either (though Klopp fatigue seems like it could randomly happen). I think the better question is could we finish 2nd. That seems like the absolute limit for us. Crisis at Liverpool or City and we edge out Spurs.

Needham

Come on chap you must be stoned out of your mind. De Bruyne, Bernardo Silva, Aguero, Sterling etc etc we have one player you could make a case for as belonging to this category and he wants out. Squad needs more surgery than a forest stricken with Dutch elm disease.