Can you see Diogo Dalot stating a serious claim for the RB-position?

zizou81

I think he is still young and can become effective there against weaker opposition where we should attack attack and attack. Still think he is better than awb going forward. One thing id like to see if he has a good footballing brain. I don't think awb has one or is poorly coached cuz his positioning is horrendous.

edcunited1878

Dalot will occupy the right bench position. AWB has improved his game going forward each year and can still nullify an entire left side. If a team pumps balls into his area and can space him out, then he can always be positionally caught out. Feel like that can happen to a lot of fullbacks just because of overlaps, overloads, and quick switches. Be interesting to see how AWB gets on now that Varane will be his right side partner and not Lindelof.

Teja

I think the real question is if he's good enough to provide cover at RB.

If we need a goal in the last 10 minutes, do you trust Dalot to come on and provide an attacking outlet? Right now I don't trust him that much.

RUCK4444

AWB is on another planet to this lad. I have no idea what anybody sees in Dalot, bang average going forward and a pure liability defensively.

Tad harsh, maybe. But I’ve watched a lot of him and have never been remotely impressed.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
As much as I don't rate AWB, Dalot is nowhere near challenging for that spot.

meninred

The only way to justify dalot's stay is if Ole uses the money they consider to buy Trippier for another midfielder.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Nah, he's shocking defensively. Fine against crap teams who sit deep and don't attack but a liability against anyone half decent.

Tallis

No, because Wan Bissaka is the best RB in the league. He can clean AWB's boots at half time though.
Can’t tell if sarcastic but it’s good topic for another thread. Who is the best right back in the league

JPB

Can’t tell if sarcastic but it’s good topic for another thread. Who is the best right back in the league
Why would it be sarcastic? Who's better than him? I've never seen a fullback at United who has so much talent at defending. This kid eats attackers for lunch.

RedDevil@84

I had hoped he realized by now that he is not cut out for PL, leave alone a top team in it.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I think against the lower teams he could be valuable. Much better attacking than AWB, and could overlap nicely with Sancho.

Otherwise, would start Aaron more often than not.
Redcafe are sleeping massively on AWBs attacking development over the course of last season.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Teams were targeting AWB in the air very successfully, and it didn't help that he was on the same side as Lindelof who isn't especially strong in the air either. They also let him have the ball on offense, exposing his limitations.

I think AWB is a crucial component against teams with a pacy winger we need to shut down, but Dalot definitely had an opportunity to get into the first Xi.

Okey

Simply not good enough. Might become a half decent back up, but why not sell and get Trippier who we know is good enough? Then take a punt on the next upcoming RB. Like we did with Dalot. And hope it works better this time.

G-manc

No. He's struggled to stay fit for one and when he has played he's been found out positionally whether in a back four or as a wing-back.

I'm not sure why people have this idea he's so great 'going forward' either.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He’s 22 and football has seen more unimaginable turnarounds, but so far it’s hard to see how exactly he’s going to do that. His defensive positioning is as bad if not worse as Wan-Bissaka’s, his one-on-one defending ability is simply incomparable and his attacking, which is supposed to be his main strength, is really nothing to write home about — I mean, he is kinda decent at it, but that’s about it.

Wan-Bissaka still has a lot to learn, but he at least has one world-class ability and defensive positioning is something that players usually improve on with age. His attacking is never going to be good enough for a top side and his stats have been boosted by the fact that no one even bothers to cover for his overlaps, preferring to double down on our attackers... but maybe with Sancho now he would be able to play in a more comfortable role and keep improving at what he’s good at.
Yeh. I can see argument that Trippier might dislodge AWB, but not Dalot. Dalot's never shown in any period of time that his ceiling might be higher.
Note that I'm talking about Dalot as fullback.

iamjacks

You can forgive an attacking full back being someone suspect defensively, but this lad also seems distinctly average going forward too! A few goals in a poor Serie A don't do anything to convince me otherwise. And it was more of the same in his Euro 2020 cameos.

And his injury record just makes thing worse too.

We need to move him on this summer.

Jacob

He strikes me as somebody with a weak mentality and work rate.

UpWithRivers

For me its his football intelligence. He is never in the right place and he doesn't make the right decisions when to stay or go. He leaves massive gaps behind him all the time. The only way I can see him being good is as a wingback with 5 at the back and a top CB like Varane covering him.
Dalot----Varane----Lindelof----Maguire----Shaw might work. Or against weak opposition he could do a job I guess.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
He's not better than AWB but it would be nice to have a backup RB so AWB doesn't have to play every single game. Maybe having Varane beside him could make him a better player with the experience Varane has. Who knows? It worked with Stones with Dias.

tjb

No, I'll be satisfied if he does better than Williams to the point we can give AWB the occasional rest.

The criticism of AWB last season was overly harsh considering we played him into the ground.
That's the actual topic that should be discussed. Had some off games, but was essentially playing isolated on the right. Despite his lack of offensive noise, people were expecting him to be our entire attacking presence on the right flank and to cover Lindelof consistently, yet we're surprised that he looked so stretched at times.

Kag

Probably not. His defensive awareness is basically non-existent. Every time he plays there are about five chances created down his side and I can’t really see that changing at this point in time. A dud, unfortunately.

McSauce FC

No, but he is good enough to be rotated in to give AWB a rest once in a while.

CloneMC16

No. Our fans disrepect AWB way too much. He is a lot better than people give him credit for. His attacking improvement has been very clear over the past season and most people are ignoring it.

hobbers

He's got most of the same defensive weaknesses AWB has. And he's not much better going forward.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
That's the actual topic that should be discussed. Had some off games, but was essentially playing isolated on the right. Despite his lack of offensive noise, people were expecting him to be our entire attacking presence on the right flank and to cover Lindelof consistently, yet we're surprised that he looked so stretched at times.
Disagree, he had some great attacking games, but inconsistently.

Think he's sometimes lacking in the buildup whenever he's involved.

More importantly, he has these lapses in concentration that see him cancelling offside or going to sleep on the backpost.

I think that can improve with experience and sharpness. He's not been a defender very long and not playing 55 games a season helps.

His defensive mistakes are often his own, nothing to do with LindaLove.

Blood Mage

A highly skilled coach could probably turn Dalot into a player. Unfortunately I'm not sure we have that calibre of coach at United right now.

Bondi77

Don't know at the moment but if he gets minutes like Lindlof and Fred did when they were absolutely garbage for us I will then be able to make a prop assessment

JebelSherif

Supports
Huddersfield Town
He’s not very good
I read in the news today that he has been impressing Ole during pre-season and consequently the talk of Trippier coming to Utd. has been put on the back-burner.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Would love to see him develop further and take the RB-position. Reckon he could be a better proposition than AWB. Views on this!
Insane how under rated AWB is. He's levels and levels above Dalot.

cj_sparky

I'm all for keeping him as cover for Wan Bissaka, especially if it means we don't spend £20m+ on a soon to be 31 year old Trippier.

But I don't think he is anywhere near replacing Wan Bissaka, in the starting XI though.