Canadian Team in serious trouble

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Could not find the Canadian National team thread. This is really terrible news. I have really enjoyed the improvements in both the US and Canadian National teams.

Raven

Could not find the Canadian National team thread. This is really terrible news. I have really enjoyed the improvements in both the US and Canadian National teams.

And I thought the FAI were bad.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
What's the story? Comments seem to think it's down to wokeness but then that is the case in each and every twitter thread.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
From a filthy rich World Cup host to a filthy poor one. No one can accuse FIFA of corruption anymore.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
What's the story? Comments seem to think it's down to wokeness but then that is the case in each and every twitter thread.
yep. they felt choosing only players that qualified to play for canada was xenophobic so only allowed 7 out of any starting 11 to be canadian. that led to forfeiting most of their games, combined with refunding tickets and total loss of all gate receipts.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Not so many idiots in the responses I see when I click on that tweet, but yeah, a few racists ('no Canadians in the team') and misogynists. Anyway, here's the full article:

https://www.tsn.ca/soccer/westhead-...picture-of-canada-soccer-s-finances-1.1977583

It looks like it's rather poor financial management, in particular failing to get a sponsorship deals at a level appropriate to soccer's current status in Canada and the performances of both national teams. The bankruptcy point is also a little exaggerated, it's not really on the cards right now.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Not so many idiots in the responses I see when I click on that tweet, but yeah, a few racists ('no Canadians in the team') and misogynists. Anyway, here's the full article:

https://www.tsn.ca/soccer/westhead-...picture-of-canada-soccer-s-finances-1.1977583

It looks like it's rather poor financial management, in particular failing to get a sponsorship deals at a level appropriate to soccer's current status in Canada and the performances of both national teams. The bankruptcy point is also a little exaggerated, it's not really on the cards right now.
kind of crazy when they have a super marketable player in Davies with a great story behind him and the men’s side got to the World Cup while playing pretty exciting football at times.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
kind of crazy when they have a super marketable player in Davies with a great story behind him and the men’s side got to the World Cup while playing pretty exciting football at times.
You really are an Everton fan. :lol:

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Yeah exactly. This in particular seems absolutely batshit crazy:
TSN article said:
Canada Soccer officials have also been in talks with the private company Canadian Soccer Business (CSB) in recent months to renegotiate a controversial media and sponsorship agreement that was signed in 2018.

According to that contract, which will be in place through 2037 if CSB decides to extend an initial 10-year deal, CSB pays Canada Soccer an annual fee of between $3-$4 million.

In exchange, the private company, which is owned and controlled by Canadian Premier League (CPL) team owners, receives all of the revenue from the national teams' media rights and sponsorships.

The contract, first publicly detailed by TSN in July 2022, has come under withering criticism during a series of Standing Committee on Canadian Heritage hearings in Ottawa over the past year.

Members of Parliament have repeatedly pressed Canada Soccer for answers about why the organization handed away such valuable rights for 20 years at a time, particularly after Canada had agreed in April 2017 to join the U.S. and Mexico in a joint bid to host the 2026 World Cup.

Canada Soccer negotiated the CSB deal in late 2017 at a time when many in the media reported the U.S., Canada and Mexico were favourites to secure the World Cup ahead of a rival bid from Morocco. Winning the right to co-host the 2026 World Cup, which will be the largest ever with 104 matches, up from 64 during the 2022 event in Qatar, has significantly enhanced the value of Canada Soccer’s media and sponsorship rights.

Despite repeated public assurances from Canada Soccer officials that CSB had agreed to “modernize” their contract, it's unclear if tangible offers to retool the contract have been presented.
This represents an absolute failure to capitalize on the commercial potential of Canadian soccer - and that's even regardless of whether that 10-year renewal gets signed!

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
People in Canada were. Well, sometimes it was quite plodding and cumbersome, but especially the first half against Belgium was great fun (apart from the finishing).

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Whoever signed that contract on Canada Soccer's part needs to be investigated.
I guess it was intended as a kind of indirect sponsorship of the CPL, on the assumption that they'd need the income and Soccer Canada wouldn't?

Obviously still dumb stuff though, they could've gotten an outside sponsor for more money and use their own income from media rights and sponsorship to subsidize the CPL, if that's really necessary. That should've been a far better deal for soccer in Canada.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I guess it was intended as a kind of indirect sponsorship of the CPL, on the assumption that they'd need the income and Soccer Canada wouldn't?

Obviously still dumb stuff though, they could've gotten an outside sponsor for more money and use their own income from media rights and sponsorship to subsidize the CPL, if that's really necessary. That should've been a far better deal for soccer in Canada.
A contract that gives 100% of a revenue stream to someone else. I can't see the upside.

Tragically Hip

As a Canadian fan for the past 44 years, trust me that their current style of play is the most exciting our nation has ever seen. Are we winning World Cups any time soon? No, but at least we are qualifying and scoring while we are there.

JPRouve

Scout
Everyone has their own opinion, but I distinctly remember Canada being a good team to watch and playing decent football despite their results.
They were decent with large moment of amateurish football. They weren't close to exciting.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
They were decent with large moment of amateurish football. They weren't close to exciting.
Each to their own but I think that's a bit snobbish when you consider the quality of the team compared to their counterparts, the magnitude of the competition for them etc. :)

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
And I thought the FAI were bad.
It’s all too similar. A corrupt scam to line the pockets of those at the top and their friends. Only difference is the FAI is a lot more hookers and coke while the CSA is fancy suits and cottages.

The CSB deal is one of the most obviously corrupt deals ever which has funneled all the proceeds directly into the pockets of the CPL owners who are coincidentally the brain child of Montagliani. The former CSA president who weaseled his way to the top of CONCACAF. Now where is the president who signed this deal? Oh Bontis has been promoted to vice president of CONCACAF thanks to his buddy Montagliani, definitely nothing shady going on there. But then just look at Trudeau, lining your pockets and your mates is what the country is founded on.

I’m glad this shit has finally come to light. Football in Canada from top to bottom doesn’t remotely care about football, it is an egocentric money driven scam. I grew up with 7 or 8 of the current national team players, the system we came through was nothing short of a complete joke. Couldn’t be more proud of my mates for what they’ve achieved despite the football authorities here. Couldn’t hate the CSA anymore.

JPRouve

Scout
Each to their own but I think that's a bit snobbish when you consider the quality of the team compared to their counterparts, the magnitude of the competition for them etc. :)
How is it snobbish? Excitement isn't relative, it's a pretty clear feeling and Canada weren't exciting. I would also laugh if France or the current German teams were described as exciting because neither are.

Cloud7

It’s all too similar. A corrupt scam to line the pockets of those at the top and their friends. Only difference is the FAI is a lot more hookers and coke while the CSA is fancy suits and cottages.

The CSB deal is one of the most obviously corrupt deals ever which has funneled all the proceeds directly into the pockets of the CPL owners who are coincidentally the brain child of Montagliani. The former CSA president who weaseled his way to the top of CONCACAF. Now where is the president who signed this deal? Oh Bontis has been promoted to vice president of CONCACAF thanks to his buddy Montagliani, definitely nothing shady going on there. But then just look at Trudeau, lining your pockets and your mates is what the country is founded on.

I’m glad this shit has finally come to light. Football in Canada from top to bottom doesn’t remotely care about football, it is an egocentric money driven scam. I grew up with 7 or 8 of the current national team players, the system we came through was nothing short of a complete joke. Couldn’t be more proud of my mates for what they’ve achieved despite the football authorities here. Couldn’t hate the CSA anymore.
Tell them to tell Davies to come to United

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
How is it snobbish? Excitement isn't relative, it's a pretty clear feeling and Canada weren't exciting. I would also laugh if France or the current German teams were described as exciting because neither are.
Hence why I said at times.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Which is the amusing part, imagining stating that a team is solid at times, as a praise.
Not really as the whole point I was making is that there are clear avenues to tap into in regards to marketing this Canadian side and they've not done that. Tapping into their superstars like Davies and the (in my opinion and seemingly others) 'exciting' or 'fun' football moments they had during the World Cup and outside of it can help in that respect.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Of course it's relative or entertaining. What's exciting to fans of a team.in the lower leagues can be very different to the standards people hold United to; and same for international football.

But even apart from that, I still think they were exciting in patches by any standard, like that first half against Belgium. Not very good, but definitely exciting with the way they bombed forward and.pinned Belgium back.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
A tie with Guadalupe? Good god.

Why do we not have a keeper better than Borjan?

Things look a little stale.

Kelly15

Excitement is relative. For us Canadians it was very exciting. Now I understand if you didn't find it exciting but Canada isn't your national team. We haven't been to the world cup since 1986. We scored our first ever world cup goal. We actually put on a good show again very difficult teams. The boys did us proud. We felt like we belonged there. It was an amazing experience.

Reactions: Cheimoon

RedDevilQuebecois

A tie with Guadalupe? Good god.

Why do we not have a keeper better than Borjan?

Things look a little stale.
We have and yet Herdman is not giving one of the younger goalies a shot. Jonathan Sirois has been a beast for CF Montreal in the last couple of months or so while Maxime Crépeau (LAFC) would be my man if he was healthy enough.

Speaking of the original topic in this thread, something clearly has to be done because the comparison with the FAI is very apt. We need to get rid of the corrupt fecks who are actively sabotaging a really good project in both the men's and women's game.

Twisted_Woody

Scout
The CSA has been corrupt for generations. Soccer in this country was never taken seriously so it is filled with charlatans and grifters.

As for the tie - Herdman is using the gold cup to give young players a chance so I wouldn't put to much stake in the results.