Canned crowd noise during Corona - Yay or Nay?

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
We need a proper sound engineer with a good sense of humour to direct chants as the game happens.

Surely can't be hard to press a button for celebrations when a goal goes in or have a crowd doing the 'ooooh' when a shot nearly goes in like they normally do. Plus having 'the referee's a wanker' and chants directed at the opposition team at various points throughout the match.

bludsucker

Having watched the Bundesliga with fake crowd noise this weekend, I would definitely welcome it as it makes the game more easy to watch. I know there can be no substitute for a live crowd but till we can get the fans in this is the best option available.

Seven Seas Sardines

Anyone know if Viaplay/Viasat Sport (Scandinavia) will have the crowd noise option like Sky/BT once PL resumes? So much better than the hollow training ground feeling we get with Bundesliga right now.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
I hate fake crowd noise, I'd much rather be able to hear the player during the match

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Love it, I watch a bit zoned out usually, so it's just like the real thing. The FIFA soccer 94 digital crowd they used in Spain yesterday though.. We should send Spain some more money to upgrade their technology.

Jesse > Messi

I want some canned vuvuzela noise, too.
I’m definitely up for the canned vuvuzela noise take me back to South Africa 2010 one of the best world cups I’ve watched that, mad to think it’s been ten years since then - definitely would improve the atmosphere at the ghost games that!

Last edited:

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Yay, but only during this Corona.

Awful if the likes of City games continue using this after Corona.
:lol:

I'm sure that some clubs who are unable to fill their stadium with enough fans, will add pre-recorded crowd noise in order to create atmosphere.
If the stadium is empty, canned noise is essential.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Good thing for Arsenal, at least their players wouldn't be booed by their own fans :lol:
I think I read they will be using (as a base) crowd noises from a corresponding fixture from previous times so I wouldn't be so sure.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Football is extremely weird without the roar of the crowd.
I find as soon as the big crowd is removed it looks remarkably similar to a kick about in the park, whereas with it it almost feels like a different game. It’s strange.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Absolutely yes and a full stadium of cardboard cut-outs of fans.
Well - if you're gonna fake it, do it properly. Real-time CGI effects (for the crowd) should be possible. Or not (I have no idea, actually).

If you have to go with cardboard cutouts, then the lads from that Liverpool gif (you all know which) should be present at all matches.

Seriously, though - no. Just no. It turns the level of "silly" up to eleven.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Are they doing this in the Dortmund game right now?

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Yes and the person behind it is on point. Dortmund had a goal opportunity and they made the antipication, almost goal crowd noise, was so real. Not sure how people can't like it.
Yeah, there was a foul earlier that caused uproar.

Sounds much better than I thought it would.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
The ‘atmosphere’ in the Düsseldorf v Dortmund match is fantastic. I was against this gimmick when it was first mooted but credit where it’s due. Much improved match experience compared to the dull, lifeless games at the beginning of all this.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Not sure how people can't like it.
Because "suspension of disbelief" is supposed to be limited to the realm of fiction.

This isn't fiction. It's an actual event presented with silly sound effects to make it appear more "real".

Not sure how anyone can like it. Seriously - it's beyond silly.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
"enhanced audio" on BT right now (Dortmund game) is nowhere near as bad as i feared!

SirAnderson

Because "suspension of disbelief" is supposed to be limited to the realm of fiction.

This isn't fiction. It's an actual event presented with silly sound effects to make it appear more "real".

Not sure how anyone can like it. Seriously - it's beyond silly.
Dude. It is actual events that created those "silly" sound effects. It's real people's reactions to similar events not fictional. Just transposed to a different event. And even then, as you watch you don't even realize "Hey this is fake sounds", it just feels like a normal precovid match.

But hey, you go and enjoy your empty stadium sounds. Personally, that feels more fake than the actual fake crowd noise.

Zoo

Incident with Witsel and the coach of Fortuna. Ref went over and had a word with the coach and they made booes and whistle. :lol:
Yeah the German sound director is doing a great job. Hopefully the PL coverage reaches the same standard.

Rafaeldagold

I thought it’d be rubbish but it’s actually pretty clever & makes the game so much more watchable.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
If PL teams can use audio as well chosen as in the Dortmund match, English games will have a better entertainment value.

neverdie

Poll perhaps?
I'd love the noise, it makes it feel more authentic. Can't be arsed to hear the players calling out stuff all echoey and shite.
The fake crowd noise makes it feel fake. Because it's fake. Players shouting to each other on the pitch is the most authentic version you're going to get.

Canned sound effects is a terrible idea and I haven't liked it in the Bundesliga. Stopped watching as soon as I heard that noise. It's the definition of cringe. I'll wait until real people are allowed back into stadiums.

SirAnderson

The fake crowd noise makes it feel fake. Because it's fake. Players shouting to each other on the pitch is the most authentic version you're going to get.

Canned sound effects is a terrible idea and I haven't liked it in the Bundesliga. Stopped watching as soon as I heard that noise. It's the definition of cringe. I'll wait until real people are allowed back into stadiums.
I thoroughly enjoyed it today and actually made it feel real, even with every goal scoring opportunity or booing when a ref got a decision wrong etc.
Guess it's each too their own.
Not sure if can be so bad that you'd rather not watch at all, not even mute it? Bit extreme.

Pipan

If they add a laugh track for when Arsenal play I am all for it.

Seems like everyone against fake crowd noise has either not seen/heard it yet, or decided beforehand to oppose it, and are to stubborn to change their mind.

At first I thought it sounded like a silly idea that wouldn't work, but wow, it adds so, so much to the entertainment level of the match, so why oppose it? Just because?

Rish Sawhney

Seems like everyone against fake crowd noise has either not seen/heard it yet, or decided beforehand to oppose it, and are to stubborn to change their mind.

At first I thought it sounded like a silly idea that wouldn't work, but wow, it adds so, so much to the entertainment level of the match, so why oppose it? Just because?
Because it’s not a question of if it’s believable or good Entertainment. It’s a question of reality vs fiction. Might as well have CGI effects of rockets on the ball when players shoot to make it more watchable or add gamebreaker effects when a skill beats a player.

But whatever if they feel like they’ll lose viewers without the noise they’ll add it in. I was looking forward to just watching football and getting more insight about how players and managers communicate on pitch but I guess I’m one of the few fans of the actual football rather than the spectacle of it.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Because it’s not a question of if it’s believable or good Entertainment. It’s a question of reality vs fiction. Might as well have CGI effects of rockets on the ball when players shoot to make it more watchable or add game real effects when a skill beats a player.
But going with your argument, those are stupid suggestions because they are never reality. Crowd noise for as long as football has been televised has always been the norm.

Rish Sawhney

But going with your argument, those are stupid suggestions because they are never reality. Crowd noise for as long as football has been televised has always been the norm.
But it’s not the reality during those games. It would be an artificial addition. The players won’t be hearing it so they’ll be playing in silence but the audience will be patronized with fake noises because we’re too stupid to watch actual football. The reason the atmosphere and crowd noises make it a better viewing for me is because the players react off it.

Would Mctominay’s goal against city be celebrated to that extent with that amount of passion in a silent ground? Probably not. But we’ll be hearing an appropriate crowd response. That just causes a disconnect between what’s really happening.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
But it’s not the reality during those games. It would be an artificial addition. The players won’t be hearing it so they’ll be playing in silence but the audience will be patronized with fake noises because we’re too stupid to watch actual football. The reason the atmosphere and crowd noises make it a better viewing for me is because the players react off it.

Would Mctominay’s goal against city be celebrated to that extent with that amount of passion in a silent ground? Probably not. But we’ll be hearing an appropriate crowd response. That just causes a disconnect between what’s really happening.
I agree in as much as on the face of it crowd noises piped into a broadcast sounds a bit silly to me. But have you seen any games with the artificial noise on? I haven't and I wouldn't mind giving it a go, even if it does sound a bit lame.